Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the twitter change is good because it'll make these tweetstorms exactly 50% less annoying to read/post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/912761359611416576

this story is exactly the sort of devastation we'll see with climate change

a whole LOT of people think Climate Change is still something that happens in the future, something in the murky mists of time

nope

it's happening right now. there's no magical big moment where everything gets hosed and the pits to Hell opens up like an Oblivion gate

it's just going to get worse and worse and there'll be less and less money (until we abolish money) to deal with it until the system is so strained and overstressed that it's impossible to respond to anymore disasters after that

it's literally happening right now. the end of human civilization. no more procrastination, it's happening right now, and it'll happen slow enough that people won't really realize it's happening until the USA or the EU goes "sorry guys, we can't help you, you're on your own" in like 2-3 years

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Unperson_47 posted:

trump loving sucks but i love the faces that dumb simpleton makes sometimes

perhaps we could be...mor ethan friends

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

i made it to neo exdeath tonight with my buddies

feelin pretty chuffed

it's super faithful to how hard the ff5 fight was but still somehow like 20x harder. real good stuff

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yinlock posted:

so it's the easiest fight ever then

neddy boy was easy if you minmaxed the hell out of the game and had everyone with !doublecast and !mix

try beating it at sub-30 levels and a FJF or something

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wow

Trump never deletes tweets unless it's a typo and he reposts it immediately after with the correction

This is somewhat unprecedented

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sixty pages in like eight hours and most of it is regurgitated garbage

loving failure.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All hail Friend Computer

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why is Jared Kushner a woman now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

this story is exactly the sort of devastation we'll see with climate change

a whole LOT of people think Climate Change is still something that happens in the future, something in the murky mists of time

nope

it's happening right now. there's no magical big moment where everything gets hosed and the pits to Hell opens up like an Oblivion gate

it's just going to get worse and worse and there'll be less and less money (until we abolish money) to deal with it until the system is so strained and overstressed that it's impossible to respond to anymore disasters after that

it's literally happening right now. the end of human civilization. no more procrastination, it's happening right now, and it'll happen slow enough that people won't really realize it's happening until the USA or the EU goes "sorry guys, we can't help you, you're on your own" in like 2-3 years

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

brugroffil posted:

they're rich af congresspeople, just hire a private jet

there's no power on PR right now, meaning no air traffic control

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

how do you think Trump abandoning Puerto Rico to their fate will play out in history books? Holocaust-tier "This is an atrocity, never again" or Iraq War-tier "Oops, we killed a couple million people, oh well"

Having a feeling it's going to be more the latter than the former, especially with climate change getting worse and worse

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shageletic posted:

lol at this entire thread degenerating with every new iteration

I used to post paragraphs

it's been getting really bad, yeah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's not so much that the thread is relaxed and not taking things seriously as it is a few people doing their absolute best to flood the thread with as much white noise as they can

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

what in the world is the thing that swaps people's genders its fuckin terrifyin :stare:

https://twitter.com/42069nice/status/913108668866023425
https://twitter.com/FertilePanther/status/913121665273421825

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GobiasIndustries posted:

not a single one of his facial expressions is natural.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The rich must be eliminated for the good of the planet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The rich must be hunted down and slaughtered. I don't know how you can conclude anything else when you see what they've done to the planet, what they've done to people, and how much luxury they live in as a result of their civilization-ending and life-destroying policies and behavior.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

My political and economic IQ is admittedly low so someone help me out here- one argument I've always heard against raising the corporate tax rate is that businesses will leave the US and set up shop elsewhere where the rate is lower. That's mostly bullshit, right? I've always understood that America has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world, but I also know that there are offshore shell companies or whatever that can play into that. Someone explain this line of reasoning to me assuming that it isn't crap.

1. if the businesses leave we'll just make new ones to replace them. same with rich people. if they go galt we'll just shrug and someone else will take over the resultant vacuum

2. good luck finding skilled workers in somalia or kyrgyzstan or wherever you end up

3. right, many businesses are already cheating our corporate taxes. this is why one of trump's core policies during the campaign was to repatriate all offshoring businesses as part of a tax holiday

4. kill the rich for killing our future

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nichael posted:

I don't know about that. The ultra rich are like... really loving rich now.

in this formulation a "real doomsday scenario" is oxygen collapse. if you started building right now you could probably create something that'd outlast that but at that point you're just building Fallout vaults

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

transfer control of the military to the Internal Revenue Service and unleash them onto all the rich people who are evading and cheating taxes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Budget Dracula posted:

Yeah but I'm talking like crop failures or a "The Road" type catastrophe.

like I said earlier, bill gates and zuckerberg are probably rich enough to build an actual arcology but they'd have to start right now because some of these nastier doomsday scenarios are projected to come around within a decade

anyone poorer than ten digits probably doesn't have enough wealth and influence to build something that could survive, much less hold out long enough for the disaster to subside and repopulate

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

Surely CENTRISTS will stop the rising tide of far right candidates

Hindenburg Trump was elected in 1925 2016 and was incredibly bumbling and incompetent while Hitler Bannon was rallying fascists to join the Nazi Grand Old Party and Communists were seeing a similarly large explosion in enrollment

quote:

In private, Hindenburg often complained to his associates that he missed the quiet of his retirement and bemoaned that he had allowed himself to be pressured into running for president. He carped that politics was full of issues such as economics that he did not understand, and did not want to. He was surrounded by a coterie of advisers antipathetic to the Weimar constitution. These advisers included his son Oskar, Wilhelm Groener, Otto Meißner, and General Kurt von Schleicher. This group were known as the Kamarilla. The younger Hindenburg served as his father's aide-de-camp and controlled politicians' access to the President, enjoying far more power than what his position would suggest, making him into "the constitutionally unforeseen son of the President".

in 1932, a literal centrist coalition decided to vote Hindenburg back into power, saying that the alternative (Hitler) was so much worse than having an incompetent demented idiot as president

quote:

Hindenburg was persuaded to run by the Kamarilla, and supported by the Centre Party, the DVP and the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD), which regarded him as the only hope of defeating Hitler.

a year later, Hindenburg awards the chancellorship to Hitler and signs the Enabling Act

the rest is history

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

galenanorth posted:

For a long time I asked "but how do they make money?" when reading anything about Twitter. Corporations have realized from Microsoft's "embrace, extend, extinguish" strategy that giving away a product for free and then starting to charge once you've secured market dominance is a viable strategy, and they seek to apply it to social media. When it comes time to start putting ads on the site, people aren't having any of it and they leave for a newer site, but investors haven't figured that out yet. It's a tulip craze where people are buying it because they think they can con bigger fools into buying it.

As much as I dislike Twitter it's going to be bad when it collapses because we're losing a very valuable conduit from journalists/scientists/average people relaying breaking news to the rest of us

I really can't imagine any other platform being as good at that as Twitter is. There's always going to be too much garbage clogging it up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

The Senate is currently voting on the confirmation of Makan Delrahim to lead the antitrust division of the justice department.

He is current deputy White House counsel. Prior to that he was a lobbyist for Comcast, Google, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Johnson & Johnson, and Ultimate Fighting Championship.

:cripes:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tammy Baldwin continues to lowkey be one of the best Senators.

Feinstein is purestrain poo poo and should be tossed out onto her rear end.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Venom Snake posted:

society collapse scenarios HAVE happened in the past and every time the rich bunker people instantly get killed by the populace

the rich are literally only rich because of society and the rule of law

the moment society breaks down is the moment that serving the rich suddenly becomes completely nonsensical when you can just kill them and not suffer consequences

right now if you work for a rich person, it's because you get money in exchange. during a civilisational collapse what the gently caress is the point of the money? does the rich person have any real power to offer you security and succor? so you put bullets through their heads and band together behind the meanest / most charismatic warlord

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Al! posted:

did i mention that rich people are a valuable source of meat

rich people aren't worth eating, this is a silly suggestion

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

Donnelly is going to vote for literally any abortion of a country destroying tax bill they put up lmao

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170925/abortion-on-down-syndrome-fetus-to-be-banned-under-ohio-bills

ohio is banning abortion of Down syndrome fetuses

quote:

Two bills in the state legislature would attempt to ensure that others follow suit. Senate Bill 164 and House Bill 214 would prohibit a person from performing or attempting to perform or induce an abortion on a woman whose unborn child has or might have Down syndrome.

Violators would face a fourth-degree felony. If convicted the state medical board would take away a physician’s license to practice medicine in Ohio. They are the latest in a series of bills before a legislature that has steadily chipped away at abortion rights in recent years.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

The zuck is such a cartoon liberal. Like he doesn't even seem real

he's been facebook CEO for over a decade now, immersed in some of the most massive concentrations of wealth in the entire history of the human race, surrounded by people who will jump to lick his toenails clean at the slightest twitch of his finger

this poo poo has massive psychological impact and recognizably alters the brain

zuck isn't real anymore

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

stating the obvious here: I would legit watch Trump hosting a show where he throws things into volcanos

Even the piss tape?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lastgirl posted:

am i being hypernormalized or are things actively getting worse :thunk:

isn't your reaction the opposite of hypernormalization

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

also yeah things are getting much worse, they're just getting worse in a much quieter way so no real attention is being drawn to it

the climate crisis armageddon is underway and 95% of the world doesn't realize it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Koalas March posted:

:siren: mod challenge?? :siren:

I will probate myself an hour for every person who posts a picture of themselves (I wanna see your face!) Holding up a sign with todays date that says "where is the piss tape"

A guaranteed sixer if one person does it but after that I'm rounding down lol

Timer runs out in 30min

this is a fbi psyop to root out the insurgents among us for facial identification software

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

why does she have a goatee

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Der Meister posted:

why is everyone talking about piss tapes

mueller is working with the irs and leaks are coming out of the various committees that the people working on them are now taking the steele dossier "very, very seriously"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BUSH 2112 posted:

how did that piece of poo poo not get pulled out of his car and beaten to death in the street?

he stopped for like a second then reversed at 40 mph

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oiled and Ready posted:

Well, sort of.

Ares is the guy advocating peace, but only to amplify the panic when that expected peace is shattered. He is not revealed to be the god of war; he is revealed to be the god of war profiteering. He is meant to symbolize the hidden evil that enables peak villainy, then solemnly sends heroes (armed with more of his weaponry) to reestablish order.

The movie is, on the surface, about World War I, but it begins at the tail end of said war. On close review, it is not about World War I at all; it is instead an indictment of American, French, German, and British capitalists for enabling the rise of fascism in Germany.

Ares disguises himself as British Lord who, under auspice of armistice, travels to Germany. He is actually there to ensure the bombing of London with a deadly gas. This bombing was planned by Ludendorff, who Wonder Woman initially thinks is Ares -- until she kills him and the war rages on. Chris Pine speculates that this is because war has nothing to do with Ares, but his argument is proven wrong. When she spares the other fanatic, Maru, and instead kills Ares (war profiteering), the war comes to an immediate end.

Ludendorff, by the way, was an actual German General. In real life though, he didn't die in 1918.

In 1917, a full year prior to the events in the film, the German Reichstag had voted in favor of an armistice that would allow Germany to claim victory in a defensive war and keep their borders intact. These were terms the Entente would have almost certainly accepted. Ludendorff, though, was furious. He successfully lobbied to have the Chancellor removed, and bullied the representatives into funding the war indefinitely.

Ludendorff argued that Germany needed to have expanded borders for defense against future aggression. In reality, he was steered to this conclusion. War profiteers in his orbit were hungry for French minerals in the resource-rich border regions. They had already succeeded in pushing him to modify Brest-Litovsk and the Romanian armistice to line their pockets, and still they were not satiated.

As a result, Germany fought on with no hope of securing victory. Ludendorff, a man who had never been one to lie to his own soldiers, suddenly began distributing false propaganda about America and Britain's "weak position". His fanaticism would end up losing Germany even the mineral-rich region they had taken from France a half-century prior, Alsace-Lorraine. Ludendorff was eventually removed by the Kaiser and a new nobleman Chancellor because he was a roadblock to any realistic path to peace. Both these men were from old nobility, and thus were both aware of the wiles of the profiteers, and too respectful of the lives of the German people, to engage in artificially extending the conflict themselves.

When the war was lost, Ludendorff could have blamed himself. He could have also blamed the industrial profiteers who pushed him to rebuke armistices time and again. Since he was anti-Semitic from jump, though, these specific industrialists were obviously not Jewish.

What he did instead was work through his trauma by creating the stabbed-in-the-back myth. He also blamed the social democrats, who were forced to sign a terrible agreement solely because he himself had blocked their prior armistice. His industrialist friends were not an option, but he was more than willing to blame all the other profiteers -- especially those he was already bigoted against. Soon enough, he was close friends with Adolf himself.

In Ludendorff's post-war memoirs, he accurately proclaimed,

He went on to participate in the Kapp Putsch, then the Beer Hall Putsch. During the latter, Hitler proclaimed Ludendorff would lead the Nazi army.

As the Putsch marched on the capitol, the following d e c o r u m occured:

In 1924, he was elected to the Reichstag. In 1925 he stood for Chancellor against his friend Hindenberg, and he couldn't handle losing that election. A Berlin paper's 1925 above-fold ran with a now-even-more-awkward headline:

Ludendorff, however, was so absurd a character that even Hitler could not remain his ally once he rose to power. Ludendorff's sin, according to Hitler? He bought into too many conspiracy theories. Turns out, some of them may have been on point.

Ludendorff's 1933 telegram to Hindenberg is hard to source, but it can be found in contemporaneous books. Meanwhile, the only people I could find dismissing it as a forgery were internet neonazis. Seems like a confirmation to me! It purportedly read:

Ludendorff finally died in 1937. In one of Hitler's most Trumpian moves ever, and that says a lot,

So when Wonder Woman kills Ludendorff and the war does not stop, the implication is that Ares is meant to symbolize war profiteering, and since there is a ready supply of nationalist zealots in all nations, war can only end with Ares' death.

Solid flick.

good writeup ty

this did more than anything else I've ever seen to convince me that I should give wonder woman a chance watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's cool that we maimed a shitload of people but developed basic bionics as a way to half-rear end fix it.

u never asked for this

• Locked thread