Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

That feeling when you contort yourself into non-euclidean pretzel shapes to explain to those naive idealists why it's impossible, oh just impossible for the Democratic Party to do the right thing without months and months of interminable process and doubletalk until the whole thing falls out of the public eye to be forgotten, and then those damned Democrats go behind your back the very next week and do what the stupid idealists wanted.

Dude, at least quote those posts instead of just shouting into the wind, Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

My question (and I believe this was echoed by Jon Stewart during his Daily Show tenure) is this, though:

Why couldn't that bailout have been funneled through the people? If you were going to be giving these banks money, why not just pay off people's mortgages for them? Or just outright buy homes and give them to people, free of charge? The bank gets the money either way, but one way wipes out a massive chunk of consumer debt and would free up a ton of consumer money to go straight into the economy!

I'm sure the answer probably boils down to "A lot of rich people rely on that massive chunk of consumer debt and don't want it wiped out."

:airquote:Moral hazard:airquote:

See, if you don’t cripplingly punish people for the mistakes others make, then they’ll just keep making those mistakes and they should have known all along not to buy those houses and and and

Basically the same assholes that get loving livid over the idea of taking a loan or other debt even when it’s a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

Fixed that for ya.

:cheers:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m not going to defend Manchin, but you folks should understand that the point isn’t that “people like him vote with the Dems sometimes”, it’s that if you get a Dem majority there won’t be any bullshit like that scheduled for him to even vote for. In addition to chairing the committees and having subpoena power.

poo poo on him all you want, but you’re smart enough to understand this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

how's that stop him from voting racistly? he'd still be a vote to block any laws addressing racism, sexism, and homophobia. and that's just in your perfect "dems block all terrible legislation from coming forward" scenario. considering dems are pushing for more blue dog dems, it becomes less likely that a majority would be enough to stop manchin and his blue dog friends from helping the republicans pass their agenda.

You don’t put lovely bills in front of him to vote on, this isn’t rocket science.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'd call this adorably naive, but actually it's just stupid.

You’re completely broke brained if you think a democratically controlled senate intelligence committee won’t be sending out subpoenas.

Ytlaya posted:

Look, part of being a good respectable liberal is always assuming good will on the part of (Democratic) politicians. They can do this because they're fortunate enough to not personally need the positive political change leftists seek. It's okay if the harmful status quo is allowed to continue, as long as they get to continue feeling like a good person who is reasonable and pragmatic.

I don’t consent to being part of your political masturbation fantasies. Keep this poo poo to yourself.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

Tell me more about how Chuck loving Shumer wouldn't ever let a horrible-rear end bill get to a vote, why don'cha?

Incidentally it's this kind of detached-from-reality fanboyism that tips you over to the stupid side, just FYI.

It’s now fanboyism to point out that having a majority of democratic senators means democratic control of the schedule and the committees? There are rules against posting while high.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

theCalamity posted:

They’re saying that even with democratic control, it doesn’t mean that they’ll actually do anything progressive. They’ll try to compromise with the GOP to be seen as bipartisan.

This isn’t a reason to oppose a democratic majority in the senate. Eliminating republican control of the legislature might not be sufficient for progressive laws to be made and passed, but it’s certainly necessary.

My home state of Washington had its legislature turn, and in a single year we got things like teen voter registration, first in the nation net neutrality, required insurance coverage for abortion, ban on the use of NDAs to prevent the disclosure of wages and raises for teachers. There were also significant efforts made towards a carbon tax, repeal of the death penalty (executions are on hold because of the governor and have been for a long time) and requiring people purchasing tobacco/vape products and guns. They screwed the pooch by trying to get rid of some transparency laws, but were quickly shamed into reversing their position.

But hey, I guess I’m the big dummy for thinking that having republicans in control of the legislature is a good thing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ytlaya posted:

Painting opposition to bad Democratic politicians as support for Republicans is a common tool in the "anti-leftist" (for lack of a better term) playbook.

I already said Manchin was a poo poo and there was nothing wrong with opposing him.

Why are you lying about this?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ytlaya posted:

You specifically said that being opposed to Manchin = "letting Republicans have control of the legislature."

No, I said “manchin is a poo poo, but you shouldn’t ignore the power of being in the majority”.

Sorry that nuance is too hard for you to understand though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ytlaya posted:

It's also very questionable whether, in the long run, the benefits of a Democratic majority (that includes people like Manchin) outweigh the harm caused by allowing the party image to be "corrupted" through association with people like that.

It's really telling that you're not only privileged enough to say no to a high paying career in finance but also to live out the crazy poo poo going on only to be concerned about "long term harm to the image of the party". That must be awesome to be in a position where those are your biggest concerns, you're incredibly lucky. Must be cool not to worry about being deported or have family that needs to be taken care of and then morally judge everyone else that are forced into more difficult decisions.

By the way, that lack of a democratic majority got us Gorsuch. Are you happy to see unions further cut down? Are you happy about seeing the first amendment being weaponized against the left in not one but two contradictory rulings in as many weeks? How about that "Not Muslim" ban based on the same justifications as Jim loving Crow? Is it all worth it to you?

Is it worth it?

I said repeatedly that senators like Machin are poo poo. But having a democratic majority in the senate meant that Reid could have brough Obama's nominee up for a vote. Obama could have fought harder, but he can't force McConnell do anything.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

True, but also no one is gonna go for that in the western developed world in a timely fashion.

I saw a headline today about how scientists want to use gene fuckery to make mosquitos go extinct and it’s crazy how much people hate bugs even though they’re a necessary part of the ecosystem.

Those mosquitos are invasive species and there's several other native species that can fill that ecological niche.

Not to mention that they're a massive vector for some rather dangerous diseases, I'm not sure why you didn't mention that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Radish posted:

So what consultant is telling the Democrats to totally ignore the massive voter suppression happening in Red States since if it wasn't for civil rights groups I wouldn't even know it is happening.

I keep hearing Democrats decry those efforts so maybe you’ve reached this conclusion a bit opportunistically.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Office Pig posted:

Democratic primary voters really know how to pick them, don't they?

When did that vote happen?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

wasn't pelosi jabbering on about bipartisanship immediately after the election results?

Who gives a poo poo when she doesn’t control any committees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sleep with the vicious posted:

I wonder if spineless Dems would fight or cave...hmmm

Yes, all those new Dems elected to the house are totally going to cave just on your say so. That totally makes sense. Every Democrat is the same and is there for the same reason.

• Locked thread