Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Trump crushed a bunch of experienced politicians. He's an a shithead moron, but he turned out to be a surprisingly good campaigner.

no, the republican opposition turned out to be massively incompetent as well. so incompetent they lost to an orange idiot. i mean, the frontrunner was loving jeb, the joyful tortoise, bush

i know you're an idiot but jesus christ jaxyon

quote:

There's a lot of things that could have ended in a Hillary win. Bernie campaigned to the left her and did significantly worse in the primaries. But oh yeah, it was rigged so apparently people couldn't vote for him. Right.

lol goddamn you're an idiot. so you think if she had shifted left she would've lost. you really sound like a bernie voter jaxyon.

also, if the primary wasn't rigged, she wouldn't have had near the campaign funds she needed to win the primary. or a DNC doing oppo research and spreading bullshit about bernie sanders. or a horde of super delegates pledging to vote for her well before any votes were cast and pledging to vote for her over bernie even when he won states. hell, she would've had to go up against biden if the primary wasn't rigged, and if that didn't split her vote and let bernie win, well biden would've won. things would've shaken out a lot differently if hillary didn't have the institutional advantages she had. but, as i said, the DNC had to rig the primary for a very weak candidate, and so a weak candidate like trump was able to win. oops!

quote:

Statistically, based on polling, it was very likely she was going to win, but not certain.

It's easy to say after the election that anyone who thought she'd win was an idiot, because the outcome is already done.

no, it was easy to say during the election she was weak as hell and that's what i've been saying all along. and i was saying it during the election too and being told i didn't know what I was talking about. how about thinking for yourself for a change instead of listening to idiot pundits constantly jaxyon?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Clinton was both a strong primary option and a weak one, I guess?

She was a strong choice to win a Democratic primary election and a weak one to win a general Presidential election, yes.

Jaxyon posted:

You can be sure that whomever the most left person was, it was rigged against them.

:rolleyes: You just want to score points by making sure you dismiss criticism ahead of time as being inherently unreasonable.

Jaxyon, all of this would go easier for you if you would just let people complain without trying to play defense for awful ideas and people.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I also enjoy this rather cute framing of Bernie doing "significantly worse" that completely ignores the actual context of his run - ie, a protest run that unexpectedly blew the gently caress up as an early warning sign that things were gonna get bad, and in which Bernie literally did not campaign in an entire region because he had no idea how close he actually was to an upset until it was too late.

It's on the level of people calling Corbyn's embarrassing of May a failure.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Willa Rogers posted:

And Hillary's campaign decided on the strategy to boost him to become the nominee, lol.

That's the "lesser evil" you're stanning for: the one who handed us the greater evil on a silver platter.

yeah seriously. trump wasn't didn't just win the entire republican primary on his own, hillary boosted him. it was the pied piper strategy. she was itching to run against him cause she thought she could win. and then she was too stupid to win against her pet steak salesman. goddamn what an idiot she was

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Hillary didn't make America be racist.

Hillary Clinton owned, no sorry, "leased from the state of Arkansas", slaves. She was literally an arbiter of racism. And yet, somehow she lost in this innately racist country. Wonder what the reason might have been *follows liberal flowchart* oh I see here it's because she was a woman.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 14, 2018

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Condiv posted:

i think he means the people who were always screaming about bernie bros and how sexist and racist they were

yeah, that makes sense, my bad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Clinton was both a strong primary option and a weak one, I guess?

oddly enough, a candidate who a primary is rigged in favor of tends to be strong within that primary. weird how that works.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I also enjoy this rather cute framing of Bernie doing "significantly worse" that completely ignores the actual context of his run - ie, a protest run that unexpectedly blew the gently caress up as an early warning sign that things were gonna get bad, and in which Bernie literally did not campaign in an entire region because he had no idea how close he actually was to an upset until it was too late.

No, Bernie did better than anyone thought he would, and he did push Hillary to the left, which was a good thing. His run was good one, because people like Bernie. Just not enough of them did.

quote:

It's on the level of people calling Corbyn's embarrassing of May a failure.

That wasn't' a failure either.

WampaLord posted:

:rolleyes: You just want to score points by making sure you dismiss criticism ahead of time as being inherently unreasonable.

I was going to answer that one honestly, but nobody seems to want to deal with the fact that Leftists have a hard time winning high profile races and that's unlikely to change soon. I want to change that, I voted for Bernie in the primary but I didn't think he was getting the nomination.

quote:

Jaxyon, all of this would go easier for you if you would just let people complain without trying to play defense for awful ideas and people.

Bullshit, I've seen how this goes whenever you disagree with the same set of posters.

Politics is poo poo. It abounds with awful people. It's depressing and soul crushing.

Doesn't mean I like the assholes, but I do try to have an understanding of what happens in politics.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

I was going to answer that one honestly, but nobody seems to want to deal with the fact that Leftists have a hard time winning high profile races and that's unlikely to change soon. I want to change that, I voted for Bernie in the primary but I didn't think he was getting the nomination.

you want to change that by voting for right wing dems that the dnc rigs primaries in favor of? are you really that stupid?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Well, the DNC gave millions again to a rightwing shithead in the primary and my leftist candidate lost! Time to vote for the DNC's pick and help leftism!! :bravo:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
America is racists but a lot of racist people care about more than JUST racism. But it turns out if you refuse to offer anything all the racists have no reason NOT to vote for The Racism Candidate.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh wait i forgot, jaxyon doesn't believe that the democrat party on the national level exerting influence on primaries throughout the country constitutes rigging primaries, cause his brain is fundamentally unsound and he can't conceive that the media, monetary, and connection advantages that the DNC's chosen picks receive could possibly influence the outcome of an election.

but really guys, he's a leftist! that's why, despite the party acting against leftist candidates in contravention of their own charter, he's going to defend the party to the hilt and vote for right wing candidates picked by a group of oligarchs!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Bullshit, I've seen how this goes whenever you disagree with the same set of posters.

Politics is poo poo. It abounds with awful people. It's depressing and soul crushing.

Doesn't mean I like the assholes, but I do try to have an understanding of what happens in politics.

So you've taken your cynicism and turned it inward into believing that better things aren't possible and throw up your hands and go "Politics, what can you do?" and then vote for whatever shitdem is put before you and then you lie to yourself and go "I'm smart, I understand politics."

Sounds like a lovely way to live.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jaxyon posted:

Hillary didn't make America be racist.

Her and her husband sure as poo poo helped institute racist legislature like the crime bill and welfare reform. She's absolutely partially responsible for modern poverty and the jailing of an entire generation.

On top of that she had house slaves in the Arkansas gov mansion.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Democrats should be loving embarrassed that republicans have a more democratic primary system than they do. Say whatever you want about him, he won the primary without needing the field cleared for him.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People that use Democratic primary wins as some sort of trump card for a candidate's elect-ability are hilarious, especially when they are still committed to that talking point after those candidates lose. Like let's pretend that the DNC and DCCC don't exert influence in support of particular candidates and everything is fair. The Democratic Presidential primary in the last two decades has given us Gore, Kerry, Obama, and Clinton. That's one winner and three fantastic losers. It's not exactly a barometer that accurately selects winning Presidential candidates. "How could Bernie have possibly won if Hillary beat him in the primary? :smug:" Like does that imply that no one in this entire country could beat Trump because Hillary won and she couldn't beat him? That the primary literally selects the best general election candidate?

Also it's a joke since if Bernie hadn't run she basically would have been running unopposed which is exactly the opposite in what you want to find the strongest candidate. Idiots thought it was going to be a coronation and got very offended when someone got in the way of that and Clinton had to actually campaign which says a lot about how they view Democracy.

Oh Snapple! posted:

It does not take any amount of hindsight to look at a person poisoned by literal decades of scandal (both legitimate and not) and horrific decisions and come to the conclusion of "this person should not be anywhere loving near a presidential bid"

Even when I thought Hillary was going to win, it boggled my mind that people believed she was going to be the person to get cross over votes from Republicans and also "work with Congress" to get stuff done. It's like those people have never actually met a Republican. Even the "good" (at least as far as the Democrats are concerned) ones that are affluent and educated hiss and recoil when you mention her name.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdAk2XEifA

Jaxyon posted:

I'd definitely vote for this guy

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

You know how the defense of Manchin is that it's better to have someone who votes with Democrats some of the time rather than a Republican who would never do it? This defense assumes that all legislation is equal. Right now, the racist elf has used the same Bible passage that was used to justify slavery and that fucker Manchin voted to confirm him and thinks Sessions isn't racist at all. gently caress Manchin.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

theCalamity posted:

You know how the defense of Manchin is that it's better to have someone who votes with Democrats some of the time rather than a Republican who would never do it? This defense assumes that all legislation is equal. Right now, the racist elf has used the same Bible passage that was used to justify slavery and that fucker Manchin voted to confirm him and thinks Sessions isn't racist at all. gently caress Manchin.

Well it also relies on believing that there’s no such thing as diminishing returns. That it’s still worthwhile to vote for manchin if he votes for racist, sexist, and homophobic policy as long as he votes with the democrats sometimes. It doesn’t seem to matter much to lesser evil subscribers what he votes with dems on. It could be banking deregulation, increasing the spying powers of the president, renaming a post office, whatever. As long as he voted with dems 1% of the time, he’s worth voting for, regardless of the substance or consequences of his votes.

It’s the “bernie and hillary share 99% of their voting history! They’re the same!” Of voting strategies. It’s a moronic concept that bases its worthiness on an overly abstracted statistic (and in a lot of cases, it’s not actually a statistic, just a presumption that D== better than).

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Jaxyon, what exactly is your point?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
His point is to waste the time of a bunch of idiot leftists that like to dump paragraphs at people that should be responded to with "you're not a leftist, you're bootlicker scum and will be first up against the wall"

these people are not your allies, they never will be. they are the enemy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m not going to defend Manchin, but you folks should understand that the point isn’t that “people like him vote with the Dems sometimes”, it’s that if you get a Dem majority there won’t be any bullshit like that scheduled for him to even vote for. In addition to chairing the committees and having subpoena power.

poo poo on him all you want, but you’re smart enough to understand this.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

it’s that if you get a Dem majority there won’t be any bullshit like that scheduled for him to even vote for.

look at this guy who wasn't alive between the years 2008 and 2010

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m not going to defend Manchin, but you folks should understand that the point isn’t that “people like him vote with the Dems sometimes”, it’s that if you get a Dem majority there won’t be any bullshit like that scheduled for him to even vote for. In addition to chairing the committees and having subpoena power.

how's that stop him from voting racistly? he'd still be a vote to block any laws addressing racism, sexism, and homophobia. and that's just in your perfect "dems block all terrible legislation from coming forward" scenario. considering dems are pushing for more blue dog dems, it becomes less likely that a majority would be enough to stop manchin and his blue dog friends from helping the republicans pass their agenda.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

I'll bet money if the Dems make any gains this year or 2020 in the senate he's flipping R.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

So the last time the Democrats had a majority we got one or more of: single payer, inflation indexed minimum wage, criminal justice reform, drug legalization, reduced wars, and reduced deportations?

If the Democrats ever actually achieved anything, swallowing bad politicians to achieve good things would be a valid strategy, but if we need to have bad politicians to pass handouts to insurance companies what's the point?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lieberman tanked the public option.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

In 2009, there was between 55 and 58 Democrats in the Senate, but somehow Joe Lieberman is personally responsible for the Democrats totally failing to pass any good policy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

how's that stop him from voting racistly? he'd still be a vote to block any laws addressing racism, sexism, and homophobia. and that's just in your perfect "dems block all terrible legislation from coming forward" scenario. considering dems are pushing for more blue dog dems, it becomes less likely that a majority would be enough to stop manchin and his blue dog friends from helping the republicans pass their agenda.

You don’t put lovely bills in front of him to vote on, this isn’t rocket science.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

You don’t put lovely bills in front of him to vote on, this isn’t rocket science.
What are 3 bills Reid put out that you approve of, and did they pass?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

I'd call this adorably naive, but actually it's just stupid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Look, part of being a good respectable liberal is always assuming good will on the part of (Democratic) politicians. They can do this because they're fortunate enough to not personally need the positive political change leftists seek. It's okay if the harmful status quo is allowed to continue, as long as they get to continue feeling like a good person who is reasonable and pragmatic.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'd call this adorably naive, but actually it's just stupid.

You’re completely broke brained if you think a democratically controlled senate intelligence committee won’t be sending out subpoenas.

Ytlaya posted:

Look, part of being a good respectable liberal is always assuming good will on the part of (Democratic) politicians. They can do this because they're fortunate enough to not personally need the positive political change leftists seek. It's okay if the harmful status quo is allowed to continue, as long as they get to continue feeling like a good person who is reasonable and pragmatic.

I don’t consent to being part of your political masturbation fantasies. Keep this poo poo to yourself.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

You’re completely broke brained if you think a democratically controlled senate intelligence committee won’t be sending out subpoenas.

Tell me more about how Chuck loving Shumer wouldn't ever let a horrible-rear end bill get to a vote, why don'cha?

Incidentally it's this kind of detached-from-reality fanboyism that tips you over to the stupid side, just FYI.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I don’t consent to being part of your political masturbation fantasies. Keep this poo poo to yourself.

after all, last time we had one of those, it was so very active in prosecuting republican crimina-

oh

right

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

Tell me more about how Chuck loving Shumer wouldn't ever let a horrible-rear end bill get to a vote, why don'cha?

Incidentally it's this kind of detached-from-reality fanboyism that tips you over to the stupid side, just FYI.

It’s now fanboyism to point out that having a majority of democratic senators means democratic control of the schedule and the committees? There are rules against posting while high.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Do you not have any memory of anything past the last few years?

The Bush regime was full of corruption, criminality, and constitutional abuses, and exactly zero of the worst offenders were ever held to account by Democrats. In fact, Obama continued most of Bush's worst actions.

If you think the Democrats have significantly changed since 2008, that they've actually learned valuable lessons and want to do things differently next time around, why? What can you point to as evidence of this? Because the other side can point to, oh, the past two hundred years or so as evidence that they haven't learned a thing, and will continue to not learn a thing until they're forced to do so.

Like, what does this

Solkanar512 posted:

having a majority of democratic senators means democratic control of the schedule and the committees

actually mean to you in practical terms?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Solkanar512 posted:

It’s now fanboyism to point out that having a majority of democratic senators means democratic control of the schedule and the committees? There are rules against posting while high.

They’re saying that even with democratic control, it doesn’t mean that they’ll actually do anything progressive. They’ll try to compromise with the GOP to be seen as bipartisan.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

They had Democratic control and we got the lovely ACA which is a republican think tank healthcare plan that was sabotaged by a democrat and written by the insurance lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

You do know that the old strategically forgetting what you've said before trick doesn't really work when people can go back and read your old posts, right?

• Locked thread