Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The 2017 Hellscape posted:

I know he touched a woman inappropriately without her consent, but was it really a grope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Those judges clearly have your vote too, since you desperately, desperately want to reward the Republican party for putting Kavanaugh on the court.

Is there a word for hostage taking, gaslighting and abuse commited by an entire political party?

Because if a parent did this it would be grounds for a CPS intervention, or at least years of therapy as an adult

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

readingatwork posted:

The size of your coalition means nothing if it’s aimless, corrupt, and unwilling to act. On the other hand if you expell the counterproductive elements what you’re left with may be smaller but it will also be a much more powerful political force because those problem members are no longer around to undermine your efforts and poison your brand.

I believe PJ actually explained this pretty well a while back using a snowball vs an iceball as a metaphor. The post would be worth digging up if anyone remembers where it is.

You can't really 'reform' poo poo politicians. Manchin is always going to be an irredeemable pile of garbage. The best that can be done is to encourage turn over to eliminate the incumbency advantage these shitheads have and then keep churning candidates until you get one that doesnt suck. Turnover is the key.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Democrats, 4 years later: To ensure fairness for both the people and the wood chipper industry we're drafting a new bill to guarantee access to a woodchipper protection market where all citizens can buy woodchipper deferral packages at reasonable market prices. Vote for us or there will be no access to protection from the roaming woodchipper gangs.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I dont remember my forum lore, but wasnt Fulchrum one of those people who said the left was insignificant and the Dems didnt need them to win? What happened with that? How is the left simultaneously so small as to be ignored but also so vital that the perfidious leftists are putting Republicans in power?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Essentially, Apartheid directed against Republicans with allowances for removal from the Republican caste for adoption.

Doesn't really matter, since we're not gonna get there, so instead you should direct your efforts to trying to make the system we have suck less, not just sitting around thinking of ways to punish Democrats if you got to be in charge.

You're not even in it to improve life for anyone, just to win your game of sportsball against Rival Team.

I mean, I'm not surprised, but I didn't expect you to state it so plainly.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

That part kind of takes care of itself if you just remove all political agency from the people actively trying to make the world worse.

I didn't think "When you stop people who are making things worse from making things worse, things get better" needed to be explained.

Yes, I will. Now all of you pledge to accept the result of primary and not claim it was rigged or stolen, no matter who wins.

But what if it is rigged or stolen?

E: Without the Republicans the Democrats would immediately schism into the center right Democrats and the actual left. Within 20 years the center right Democrats would be indistinguishable from the Republican party

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 22, 2018

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Its amazing how nearly all of these conspiracy theories by the left seem to come down to the eeeevil establishment really truly wanting to be Republicans, but accidentally ticking the wrong box and being too embarrassed to correct it later.

And I like the admission that even if you completely removed all conservatives from voting, leftists would still be absolutely powerless to do anything.

I mean, Manchin is a Democrat who exists so... yes? The Democrats have taken a 40 year long slide into becoming the new right wing party in America and I see no reason why they would ever stop.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nice chart. Where is the Clinton era deregulation, the withdrawal of support for unions, Obama's attempt at a Grand Bargain to cut social security, etc? I suspect the tool may be extremely flawed. That or doing its job perfectly.

Also, let me laugh heartily at 'to the left of the New Deal era'. Government in the New Deal era was all about breaking up concentrations of wealth and power. Now we have Obama shoveling trillions of dollars into a corrupt banking system to keep it propped up while letting banks foreclose on homes by the million in order to 'foam the runway'.

Do you actually critically interrogate *any* belief you hold, or explore history in any capacity outside of infographics from your favorite center right think tanks?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like giving credit here to "the population" absolves Americans in general for being aggressively homophobic and bigoted and ignores that it was in practice the work of a number of LGBT activists and lawyers that brought us to where we are now. Americans in general didn't wake up one day and decide "you know, gay people? Pretty alright!" on a whim, after all.

Gay rights were largely won in the courts, which is why Obama dropping the ball with pre-compromised Merrick Garland and then the Democrats not even bothering to coordinate on blocking Kavanaugh is so egregious. And now we have even more judges being rammed through because Chuck Schumer is a waste of oxygen and the Dems in general are a joke of an opposition party.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

E: ^^^ I vaguely knew a person involved in one of the cases in Oklahoma. I hate when people credit the Democrats with doing literally anything on gay rights and overlook the enormous amount of work and personal risk taken on by the real fighters in the courts.

Ytlaya posted:

The chart itself is basically correct as a way of showing that politics has in some ways become more "polarized"; people are just interpreting it incorrectly. From what I've read about the methodology, it seems to be measuring the extent to which Democratic politicians adhere to whatever is considered "liberal" at a particular time. So it doesn't really care whether what is considered "liberal" is actually left-wing; just the extent to which Democratic politicians adhere to it. So I'm pretty sure it would actually consider a congress where half of Democrats were communists and half were "regular" liberals to be "less liberal" than our current one, lol.

Thanks. I was reading through the methodology and suspected as much. So basically the zero point has shifted over time, such that today's 'liberal' policies are 50 years ago's 'conservative' positions?

Lightning Knight posted:

Note: Fulchrum, for it to count, you have to post the text with the :toxx: emote, to show that you are committing to it.

So it this going anywhere?

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 22, 2018

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Democrats know they can hold an entire segment of the population hostage indefinitely and actively campaign on it, even though their track record shows they will throw their hostages to the wolves at the slightest pressure.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sitting on the slot is exactly the plan though, because if they can turn enough people off by being douchebags WFP might not get automatic ballot access on the next go round. I loathe strategic voting and would never presume to tell someone who they have to vote for, but it might be worth thinking about WFPs future position in relation to how much of a shitter Crowley is

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fair

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frightening Knight posted:

I would say bottom five worst presidents is something like Johnson/Jackson/Wilson/Nixon/Reagan, personally, but that's probably pretty debatable.

For a moment I thought you meant LBJ and not Andrew Johnson and I was about to start posting my Opinions on presidents.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Isn't Trumpchat supposed to go in the Trumpthread?

If Trump chat goes in the Trump thread and Dem chat goes in the Thunderdome that doesnt leave much for USPol then. Were you planning on having a discussion on the finer points of PSL's platform?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Because, as we all know, all of the politics in the United States of America can be neatly divided into these two categories.

Turns out America is super polarized. Who would have thought? But if youre not discussing third parties or the biggest news stories of the cycle (because its Trump chat) then what were you discussing and debating? Third Way politics as the saviour?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I say Graphic Interchange Format every single time. I also enjoy looking at pictures in the Joint Photographic Experts Group format.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frightening Knight posted:

I am reading this thread guys and taking your feedback, but I’m out with family right now.

Please consider my initiative to require every acronym be fully spelled out every time.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Television Intravenous Chat

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its a comic about insulting people, then not wanting to own up to it because talking to 'their kind' is beneath you, then getting mad because the sealions are getting uppity and won't drop the really very minor insult and just let you enjoy your breakfast in peace

I forget how this relates to Democratic politics but it probably involves hissing at a black activist who shows up at your expensive fund raiser asking about the Crime Bill

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Stop sharing this photo of Bruce Rappaport!

I still can't believe that was a thing that happened and morons fell for it, then wrote it off as an honest mistake

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'mma go way out on a limb here and say that maybe in an all White conversation racist jokes are a bad idea regardless of context.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

As a marketing quant (among other things) I watched the GOP Primary Debates and wondered if the Clinton Campaign was even paying attention. I was seriously worried, rightfully so, that they missed the point ... Trump is an idiot-savant when it comes to messaging. He rolled over the GOP field in a way that I hadn't seen in many decades.

The messaging by the Clinton Camp was just so drat crappy. "I'm with her?" Seriously?

It was like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

I thought Trump was a buffoon who would destroy the Republicans at first, but in hindsight gained after accepting Hellworld I can see that he was always a very dangerous threat. The man is a consummate con-man and carnival barker. His insane ramblings have a hypnotic cadence to them, and he has, as you said, idiot-savant skills at messaging. He was on pro-wrestling for gently caress's sake. He was always going to appeal to the masses, and the elite bent the knee because they can see which way the wind is blowing and adapt so long as they keep getting massive tax cuts and subsidies.

I didn't take Trump seriously because I'm an idiot who knows nothing. Presumably the consultants who get paid millions of dollars to know things should have been able to see this coming, or why else would they deserve to be paid millions of dollars? How could anyone with so much experience and so much backing gently caress up as badly as HRC? And, more importantly, is it going to happen twice despite having four years to observe reality?*

*yes

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 30, 2018

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

been a big fan of the 'clearly she was making fun of the reporter' defense when there's literally nothing in her mannerism or tone to suggest that

"I like Clinton, and I find examining my beliefs to be difficult and painful, so I choose to believe this other thing that eliminates the need for introspection instead"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

E: ^^^ Presidential hopeful Warren couldn't be bothered to show up to a trans rights rally in Boston that her fellow Senator and Boston mayor found time to attend.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d say the only marginalized group that democrats are notably better for policy wise (as opposed to rhetorically) are LGBTQ. If you’re poor or brown or both they’ve been incredibly lovely for decades now.

Most of the strides in gay rights have been won in the courts by their own hand though. Obama's great contribution to the gay rights battle was abstaining from defending DOMA. 'Democrats helped gay rights' is a narrative that doesn't really seem to have a lot of grounding in reality.

In terms of 'what have they done lately' what natural constituency can the Dems really claim? Drug company execs?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and have been frustrated about missing the voting chats each time they happened recently, because I've really wanted to go off on all the fucks who've been arguing that people like me basically owe the Democrats our fealty and have to vote for people who have historically been lovely towards us, so that maybe one day they might eventually deign to give us rights roughly equal to what other people have. A few have implicitly called things like trans rights "pet issues" and said that expecting basic human respect and dignity is privileged, while hiding behind those same groups as their excuse for why we have to vote for Roy Moore (D). They seem to unironically aspire to be the white moderates from MLK's letter from Birmingham Jail and believe that yes, they can set a timetable for other people's freedom.

"I hear you, and I understand your anger, but have you seen the other guy?" - the Democratic argument in its entirety

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The people who would get mad about Tom Perez calling Trump a racist are Republicans. By definition, nothing a Democrat ever does short of honorable seppuku will make a Republican happy. Being a spineless poo poo sack does nothing, but actually calling Trump what he is had the potential to rally the left. But Perez doesn't represent the left, he represents temporarily embarrassed Republicans, so in that context the move makes perfect sense.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Is there a mandatory spine removal procedure you have to undergo to get into liberal leadership? Because these takes are real bad

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Death is certain

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Narrator: They had learned nothing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

After everything that happened tonight, it is Pelosi’s response that actually lifts me over the threshold into full-fledged panic attack.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mackensie posted:

How is that even possible? Bernie can't win nationwide and it's just that attitude trump will be crushed that screws democrats every loving time.

Bernie has an actual platform he runs on instead of flailing appeals towards being Republican lite with *slightly* less racism

• Locked thread