Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Chomsky has some insanely good writing and speeches about this. The MiC/pentagon system is the only thing keeping our economy competitive, but it does so in a super inefficient way to keep government money from benefiting the proletariat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Condiv posted:

so are we still pretending that prison labor is not slave labor? after that racist southern sheriff demonstrated it so well?

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/918431668658212865

Ok yeah so this is obviously bad, but lets not jump to conclusions and assume the equivalent program in 1980s Arkansas was also bad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's mad telling that his strawleftist's outlandish exaggeration is that she sold her slaves' blood and not just that she had slaves.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 15, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

JeffersonClay posted:

You did a great job and passed the test vitalsigns! These posters did not.

Wait sorry that last one was you minimizing the influence of FDR's racism on FDR's slaving.

At LAST!! After 10,000 years I finally have mproof that Bernie Bros are the real racists!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

yronic heroism posted:

Literally all I'm saying is it shouldn't be that hard to call out Nazi poo poo on the forums.

The poster quickly removed the reference and has been denounced by many posters and should receive a probe if he didn't already get one and wasn't even close speaking positively about actual Nazi ideology.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Democratic Party should enact a final solution to unequal access to healthcare question.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm the centrist who thinks mistaking the Night of Long Knives for Kristallnacht is evidence somebody knows a little too much about Hitler's Germany.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Can we argue about cumtown? That would be interesting to me.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

yronic heroism posted:

sounds to me like it was fizz's mask that slipped then. Like an average idiot poster would own up to a mistake of judgment rather than deleting it like an errant Trump tweet.

would you like fries and a drink with that today sir?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

And then we institute a 1000 year proletarian reich.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

NObody had better say the Negrotown thread was goldmined because of affirmative action. Thats not the sort of joke we like to see around here so please just don't do it!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Reparations as described by TNC are absolutely essential. But I've posted before that I wouldn't call them reparations and they shouldn't be limited to black communities. There is really no basis to suspect a single poster itt would vote for the GOP over the Dems over reparations of all things.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A major component of reparations policy is the unification of gaming. No consoles but PlayStation. Nintendo makes games for PlayStation now and Xbone is illegal.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm grad student with no free time so I've just been playing Souls game non stop for the past two years. I borrowed the newest Wolfenstein from the library and it was pretty ok.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

yronic heroism posted:

Well by this logic any kind of welfare state can be framed as pointless because "the rich will just steal it back."

Literally and unironically this.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Koalas March posted:

Does anyone have those studies that talk about how the actual best thing for poor people is to just give them money?

You mean the one done overseas or was there a similar study conducted in the US?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

yronic heroism posted:

Don't talk to me about fighting Nazis and then stan for Stalin, a bigger appeaser than even Chamberlain.

nice

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Koalas March posted:

I am pretty sure there was one (or a few?) in the US. But I'll take the overseas ones if you got them.

Also, for anyone who was interested in helping, the thread for the TGRS project brainstorm session is here. Which is where I wanted to post them btw.

I think this is what I was remembering:

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/08/07/541609649/how-to-fix-poverty-why-not-just-give-people-money

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

yronic heroism posted:

Capitalism does not exist outside of an Ayn Rand novel and racism does.

What the gently caress lol

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

RasperFat posted:

Obama ramped up the drone strikes and bombings, massively increasing collateral damage. I’m pretty sure we are continuing to haphazardly bomb brown people, but that’s been lost in the garbage fire storm of the Trump presidency.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What difference does it make??

Drones? You mean like the ones delivering products for Amazon dot com?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNxne97ubc

This one is even better.

E: the last verse is a real body blow

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 31, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/925729127197487104

gently caress Chuck.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Post! You cowards!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

lol it totally is. lotta people outing themselves itt

Outed as a guy who likes a song.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

как дела, коллеги-американцы!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just think, we could make GOP Senators look hypocritical!!

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 21, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

*rises. the only man standing in a field of seated comrads*

I will defend the GULAG.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stone cold posted:

counterpoint: how many old white dudes who are really into noir are genuinely okay dudes

lol

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Black people are magic.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Obama was a good president because only the bad half of this country hasn't recovered from the recession.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

gowb posted:

I have tattoos and have three gfs and make a lot of money, and I hate poor white people but not any other poor people because why can't they be like me, and get multiple bi gfs, cool ironic tattoos, a dog that can scream like a man

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Democratic Party: Acknowledge Your Betters

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We need to cut the balls.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The most concrete example is cointelpro: an FBI program that (among other things) assassinated black panther leaders.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Harik posted:

That really is a fundamental divide, yes.

Axiom: there's a difference between:
* privately owned free press that's got a lovely history of wanting access to the government while also having owners that stand to profit selling lots of bombs to drop on civilians.
* state-owned media that explicitly exists to serve the interests of the state.
additionally:
* state-funded media that theoretically has freedom but knows where their funding comes from. (BBC, NPR, etc).

I fundamentally disagree that "Oh, all media is equal" which is the core of what Vitalsigns keeps saying.

Depends on which media you're talking about. Not everybody was pro-war going in but lovely rags like the NYT absolutely were.

Of course there is a structural difference between three differently-structured media apparatus. The question is whether these differently-structured apparatus create meaningful distinctions in output. I don't believe they do. Further, you are completely underestimating the systemic factors at play in determining what stories get covered by capitalist media. A fairer description would be: * privately controlled media that must, as an systemic necessity, retain access to government sources and maintain credibility with its advertisers. An even fairer description could probably be shortened to: * privately-controlled media that explicitly exists to serve the interests of capital.

Edit: Read Manufacturing Consent. The book is slightly dated at this point as evinced by Trump's election, but its model of how media functions in a capitalist system is still convincing.

Edit2: or at least watch the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnrBQEAM3rE

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2018

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Skex posted:

My problem with Greenwald is that in his zeal to attack the American intelligence community and military industrial complex he has chosen to align himself with the very architects of the very policies he purports to oppose.

This is the very definition of an useful idiot.

Just like how opponents of Japanese internment chose to align themselves with archconservatives at home and Nazis abroad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

Hey man, you do you. It just sounds like some Dark Souls dialogue lol.

Also yeah like, I honestly think the media was worse in the Iraq days. At least today they pretend to oppose the President. In the 2000s they were underwriting Bush’s wars.

It’s literally only because the President is Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It rules so hard that they can't even feed us some bullshit line about looking into the matter or something like that.

• Locked thread