Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am more excited for Assassin's Creed Origins now that I've learned there's basically going to be an MS Encarta mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing games you hate so you can complain about them is a proud internet tradition.

You can save more time and money by just not playing the game and making fun of it anyway!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's cool that the new Assassin's Creed is going to have a history mode and revamped questing but I'm baffled as to why they keep propping up generic steely dudes as their mainline protagonists. If the main character was a chick w/ a bow I'd definitely play it, same for Mordor game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the main characters wife is also playable in the new assassins creed (as well as other people apperently) i like bayek, he doesn't seem broody to me. talion i cant really blame, because is just a meat puppet for a dickhead ghost.

For the entire game or just like Syndicate where you go halfsies?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chicks with daggers are pretty cool, I'd rank them below longbows + magic missile but above guns and crossbows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

What about one that uses daggers for melee but bows for ranged?

Any short-bladed weapon is ideal for melee because it allows for more sick-nasty ladydeath one-liners before you stab them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

luck is badass in old fallout games because it lets you create runs where everyone around you is loving up constantly and the only skill you have is loving up slightly less

I play video games to be someone other than myself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I am waiting for a cyber-punk Assassin's Creed.

Maybe Ubi should jump the gun on this since Blade Runner is coming out in a week and Cyberpunk 2077 is never going to release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I forgot where I read this but Ubisoft has anti-high fantasy development culture, that's why Assassin's Creed continues its simulation meta-narrative framework and even their knights vs. samurai vs. vikings fightman game still bothers explaining it with an alt-timeline portal. BG&E2 if it ever gets released will be their most fantastical IP in a very long time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Hello chat thread! As it is now October, I can ask my question that I really hope to hear your answers to.

What is your perfect game, and why?

Not favourite game, but perfect game. (Unless your favourite is perfect!).

Mine is Portal2.
Everything about it is made for me. The game is my level of difficult, my level of engaging storyline and humour. I love the way the tale unfolds and how much of it does. I love that is treats me intelligently. I love the voice acting (Stephen Merchant is inspired and one of my favourite comedians) and feel it is pitch perfectly delivered. I love the structure of the story and the end and I just cannot stop loving on it. I love the music!

I thought the first portal was fine. Not astounding, but great fun and a nice little diversion.

Portal2 sang to me as someone who enjoys video games. It just causes me to gush. I've even sent gushing emails to some of the people who worked on it!

Hm well, I guess I would define "perfect" here as a product where even if you read about and can intellectually acknowledge a game's flaws, none of that stuff really bothers you. Recently, Horizon Zero Dawn has basically offered every single thing I have ever thought was cool in a video game. Before that, the last complete package I really could replay again and again was Mass Effect 2. And then way before that, I think Tetris, Super Metroid, Diablo 2 and DOOM are just timeless classics. None of those are probably my #1 favorite of ~all time~ but in a technical sense there was never a moment in any of them when I got bored or wanted to stop.

But the one game I want to highlight for being so perfect at what it does is Riven. The puzzles, the world, the story are all so elegantly intertwined in a way that I don't think has ever really been matched in 20 years. It totally blew my mind when I was 12 and was always what I thought of first in "games as art" arguments on the internet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Eternal Darkness was so good. One of the rare examples where getting stuck in development hell actually resulted in a better and more cohesive product.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Silent Hill 2 was the one where if you set the puzzles on hard you had to know the chronological order of Shakespeare's plays, right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Nope, that was 3. God I love those games. The hardest puzzle setting was so nice.

Oh yes, I remember now because I was in college when SH3 came out and could solve that puzzle. Thank you, English major and $22,000 in student loans.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most games where loot plays an important role have to strike that important balance between players eventually breaking the game in fun, interesting ways vs. pacing so that you don't feel either too powerless or too powerful for too long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most of the games I like the most are perfect to me, in the sense that if I really wanted I could find things to complain about, but why would I? They're awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nina posted:

I'm sadly the type of person who puts stuff I really love under the heaviest scrutiny. It doesn't stop me from really, really enjoying everything though

Well to me, if I enjoy something and I really connect with what it's going for, then it doesn't make sense to waste too much time and energy thinking about all the ways it could have been better because what's done is done, you get the game as one discrete package, and minus some patches, you don't get to pick and choose what elements to do away with and what to keep. I also tend to think that interesting failures are often more noteworthy and memorable than inoffensive mediocrity, so I really like games that just kind of loving go for it with their concepts and show some ambition, even when they fall short in the eyes of others. That's probably why many of the games I love the most tend to be ones others might find severely flawed.

I play games for the experience and level of engagement I have during and immediately after finishing them. If my experience was very positive, then I'd rather not trouble my mind with doubts about what could have been.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 2, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

To ask the thread a similar question: are there any pays of a game you love that other people seem to hate?

Like, for example, one of my favorite parts of Gunstar Heroes is the dice maze and I was really surprised to find out years later on the internet that people apparently hate that part and consider it a flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

Lava Reef is probably my favorite zone in all of S3&K besides Ice Cap, I was shocked to play Mania and learn that a lot of people apparently hated it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

To all the haters who think the dialogue in Life is Strange is bad, I'm like holy poo poo are you cereal? It's pure awesomesauce, shaka brah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Life is Strange isn't a perfect game but it's hella up there

I can't be rational or even critical about Life is Strange, it's impossible to say how much I love it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

it kinda falls apart in the last episode, the ending itself is good but a whooooooole lot of the stuff in the last 1/2 eps is just... not.

how did i forget Journey tho, that is definitely the definition of a perfect game.

I've settled on the idea that the first 2.5 episodes of Life is Strange are teenage melodrama, the final 2.5 are Lynchian psychodrama, and the end choice really comes down to deciding what type of game LiS was more of to you. There are a lot of games that deal with its subject matter more eloquently but I love that LiS just loving goes for it at 100% warp feels at all times. It's so freaking good!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fat in the right places can be sexy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nina posted:

Cuphead lets you retry with no loading whatsoever. This is a feature every even slightly challenging game needs, it eliiminates so much frustration from the game wasting your time

I think it's important in any game to have some post-death quiet time to reflect upon the various failures in life that have led you to this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope games of the future incorporate an I JUST WANT TO WIN button that gradually fills up every time you fail an encounter and adjusts dynamically based on how well you were doing up to that point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

al-azad posted:

The best dynamic difficulty was in the objectively best action game God Hand. Doing well powered up the enemies but you'd get better rewards. You had special moves that let you grovel to lower the difficulty or taunt to raise it, adding a bit of strategy as some enemies are easier to defeat than others regardless of difficulty.

My basic belief is that games should be pretty easy and at no point should failing one area totally halt your progress if you're enjoying it otherwise, but I think it's also all right if they taunt you for being a big pussy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What's buy-to-play? Never heard of that one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

homeless snail posted:

it means you can just buy it and play it like a regular game, as opposed to paying a sub

You buy a game and just.. play it? That'll never catch on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Are there any genres the Mario gang haven't gotten into yet? What would those games look like?

The time is right for a journey of self-discovery starring Mario and the gang as angsty twee teens coming of age in the Mushroom Kingdom in a new episodic adventure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TBQH I would sooner play a cutesy Dark Souls with Mario aesthetics than yet another ~grimdark masocore~ game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Honestly I think an episodic series of Mario could be amazing. Some light combat, similar to the Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario games, and then just a goofy romp in the Mushroom Kingdom. When Mario games have writing it tends to be very good, so I'd be totally open to a more story driven experience.

Just don't let Telltale touch it.

Do you jump on the Goomba? [Y/N]

If yes: You find out the goomba had a wife and kids, was down on his luck just trying to make ends meet.
If no: Luigi comes up behind you and tramples the goomba to death anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

chumbler posted:

In my dreams, Nintendo asks Platinum to work on a Kirby game.

Not sure if that would ever happen, Kirby doesn't even have a recognizably juicy rear end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nina posted:

I actually really want that type of game in a tongue-in-cheek setting. Overly brooding atmosphere just makes me more discouraged to play a lot

^_____^ YOU DIED! ^_____^

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's something really creepy and upsetting about the art style of Cuphead and for that I will probably never play it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bad memories of that wii baseball game microing me with "You're a tad late!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't know The_D worked for Square prior to making The Demon Rush.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So do Disney cartoons give you nightmares

I shouldn't jeer so much though given I feel the same way about claymation.

I take it you never watched the Twilight Zone movie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Law of averages means that there's at least one dude out there who has struck out on every single relationship on even those anime dating VNs where it's almost impossible to not make the girls love you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth is a children's movie, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Heihachi didn't go far enough. Confirm the kill.

Tekken does not have pit fatalities.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I thought the whole point of the assassins in AC is to rail against the Templars and their attempts to gate knowledge and power, in turn making Templars a higher class of citizen and stratifying the rest of the world. The assassins counter this by reminding them that all men are equal and equally susceptible to death, often via a short, sharp piece of metal. The modern games are pretty much saying that some people simply are better than others and that they require a higher class of weaponry and skill to kill. In effect, the Assassin's Creed games are proving the Templars right.

But that's just a theory... asjdha BAW GAME THEORY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I gotta be honest I didn't get why people were so into Journey. I didn't hate the game but it felt like a very disposable experience to me, like McDonalds food or something.

It's a very simple game that freely invites the player to help construct its own significance. Your connection to Journey is very tied up in what emotional state you're in when you play it. Many see it as a metaphor for accepting death, or recovering from an illness/addiction, and if you're in that vulnerable state of mind, it's easy to see how you can draw a lot of meaning from the narrative. If you're not really thinking about those things or not at all invested in its storytelling then it will of course seem like a really sparse experience.

• Locked thread