Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

punk's not dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i've figured out what everyone has to play this october

As usual that is WAY better than the US boxart.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

that's why i posted it lol

honestly though mr. bones probably isn't worth like, playing, but watch a playthrough at least because holy poo poo not only are the cutscenes all loving amazing even in context but the gameplay is such a bizarre mess, in a way that actually rules because it starts off really standard and gets increasingly more experimental and confusing

lol. I would say it would be worth playing IF it was easy to emulate or easy to find a copy. I'll deffo agree with you on watching a playthrough of it :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

oddium posted:

rest in peace tom petty, the "American Girl".......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXkblbJqwn0

:sbahj:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Well he's right. You can't live without a spinal cord. I love that dumb game.

Harvester in case anyone was wondering.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Sebastian's "What the gently caress?" in the second chapter is my favorite line in the entire game. It is perfectly voice acted and I am so sad he is not voiced by Anson Mount in the sequel. That man has the absolute best deadpan curse word drops.

I hope you enjoy it, man, it's a goddamn good game. My advice to you is to play the first few chapters like it's The Last of Us. Too many people try to play it like RE and get curbstomped and run out of ammo, but if you sneak around and only shoot if you have to, it's a lot more fun.

+1 to making all your shots count. I wasn't too starved for ammo throughout the game and when I was low, it was thrilling.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

there's also puppet dick in the R rated anomalisa

Well, since we're going there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquis_(film)

"Marquis is a 1989 French-language film, produced in Belgium and France, based on the life and writings of the Marquis de Sade. All the actors wear animal masks, and their voices are dubbed. There are a few scenes involving clay animation. The film was a project by French cartoonist Roland Topor who earlier delivered the imagery for the animated cult classic La Plančte Sauvage (1973).

The tagline used in the US release was, "A bizarre tale of sex, lust, and the French Revolution."

It's as strange as it sounds. Bonus, the puppet dick speaks! You can find the full movie on youtube at one point because "art" i guess. No I'm not linking it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

BULLET BEES

OK BEES NOW CARRY THAT GRENADE OVER THERE

GET ME A BEER

BEES FILL OUT MY 1040EZ FORM I HAVE NO MEANINGFUL DEDUCTIONS THIS YEAR

:lol:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Today I am going to try to get through the Titanfall 2 campaign. I thought it would be generic bullshit but some of the setpieces they are coming up with are actually extremely fun and cool. There's a whole level that is a factory assembling houses for wargames or something and it becomes this very disorienting climb up a sideways neighborhood, and I am currently jumping back and forth between two different time periods in a research facility. In one era the facility is up and running and the other it is ruined and overrun by monster things and you have to jump between the two to progress. I am having a good time, here.

The Titanfall 2 campaign sure does start generic but it just keeps ramping up! Good stuff.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You want Men Drinking Coffee's playthrough of Ride to Hell Retribution

Also their playthrough of Raven's Cry.

lets hang out posted:

it's awesome

Wow this game seems like it owns from what I've seen.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

:laffo: I wasn't the only one thinking about it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I play Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

If it's already yours, go ahead.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BETHEASDA!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

:drat:

Do you have an article link or something that'll go into more detail, because jeeze, what would a lawsuit even be about in that case? "I don't like the interpreters this person's sister provided for me, I want to sue her" is so out there.

Here's something I found after some Googling:

http://versusjs.blogspot.com/2014/04/joint-statement-regarding-criminal-case.html

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Hahahahahahaha what the hell

The White Dragon posted:

these people are still fuckin going at it :psyduck:

Yeah, no kidding. I wonder if it's made any former developers a little wary with wanting to deal with any strange foreigners that are interested in delving into some of the early days of games dev.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

precision posted:

You know they're going to, you should record the worst people with your phone

Do this

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

this sums up most of my problems with Ruiner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxpBKCYzHZQ

Here I fight a boss that I've already fought like 3 loving times already through the game. It's tedious and has a pretty much 1-shot kill, requiring you go into the menu, fiddle with your respecs, and use the shield. It is borderline impossible to beat this dumb "boss" without it.

I have to respec yet again for the next boss, who has a pattern that is braindead and also has an almost 1-hit KO with a really lovely AOE lingering blast. It's not fun or engaging, it's just tedious. Then of course the moronic AI gets stuck so I take advantage to end the fight quickly.

Almost all the boss fights are bullet sponges and require a very specific skillset, making the skill system a slog to utilize properly. I found myself consistently needing to respec my poo poo, and until you get into a fight, you have no idea what the gently caress you need. I once wandered into an arena thinking my mindjack ability would be put to use, but found out "whoops it's 4 turrets, you can't hack these things, wish I had Shield on but now I'm gonna get hosed."

On top of that, almost all encounters in all the environments look and feel like the same poo poo. The only difference as you go onward is the health of minions or their lovely abilities i.e. to loving vanish (not teleport or teledash, just loving vanish and reappear). Sometimes there was an energy drain thing or maybe landmines but for the most part, I'm in what I assume is the final area and I'm burned out on the formula already.

Without even starting the video I know you're talking about the Mother fight.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

some guy on the bus posted:

Sure, the story is a bit weak. (Heather is one of my favorite characters in video games though) But wasn't playing it for that. Was playing it for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0Im48hjRk

I like how often you didn't know if something was a enemy, a sound effect, or the music.

The sound design in this game is awesome. I also like how the monsters have their own "music" that gets louder as you get closer to them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Digirat posted:

The suits will never be stopped forever. Bethesda pulled their dumbshit paid mod system from steam the first time they tried it years ago after they got shouted out of the room, and here they are trying the same thing again except they somehow managed to make it even dumber.

I thought "in app currency" would stay with phone games but here we are.

Olive! posted:

Rename it "Escape from Karnak"

*bass drop*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX3ArbnXrmM&t=13s

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This game sucks and has the creepiest anime characters.

Is that the one with "nappy time"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it's this one. I can't for the life of me understand why this game is getting remastered.

:barf: They should just remaster the first 2 over and over.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

do i want to pry into what "nappy time" entails

Click if you dare, the thumbnail should be enough to scare you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

In Training posted:

I watched it and the worst part about it is the really garish character designs

That's a time honored tradition for Star Ocean

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

in lieu of watching that clip i've just mentally substituted the garbage day clip from silent night deadly night with the guy yelling "NAPPY TIME"

Lol, I can see it clearly in my head

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You could just watch some gameplay videos on your own and prepare your wallet if you like what you see. Have you read an actually good game review in the past like 5 years, I'm confident they don't exist

Now that you mention it, I really haven't. I've usually just jumped in blind at release if I was significantly hyped or waited to see what goons/others experiences are or waited until the game is cheap enough for me to say "screw it"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Thanks ESRB... :|

Is there anything like this in real world gambling, stuff where you'll always get a prize but chances are the prize is lovely but by getting a prize it can get around the whole "this is gambling" thing?

I know some carnival/theme park games will do this, participation prizes and the like, but I can't think of anything large scale off the top of my head.

Don't pachinko parlors do this? You exchange your winnings for a crappy prize then take that and exchange it for an actual cash prize.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i don't really watch these speedrun things but aren't you obligated to power through your fuckups and keep going until the run is complete regardless of whether or not your time is going to be screwed up

That's what I thought. I read up a little on it and it seems that no one has completed a full run yet.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

But is it gah-LAH-gah or GA-lah-gah.

gai-lah-gai

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Do this

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

More serious answer though is probably the cliche answer of Spec Ops: The Line, if only cause it's the first game to come to my mind that can quickly demonstrate that games allowing for the player's participation changes or at least influences how the story is experienced. I'm sure there are other games that do it better, but the only ones I can think of would be massively long RPGs or visual novels, which are basically picture books.

I finally got this one out of my backlog and it was pretty good. I managed to keep myself mostly unspoiled. I knew the story beats but not exactly how they were going to play out and it was still made an impact. There needs to be more subversion in games.

:wtf:

an actual dog posted:

This is gonna be the first of many. Probably.

Yargh, I'm not looking forward to any pushback from some of the more crappy fans.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Dangon discussion:

https://intriguingly.moe

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

hyphz posted:

I suspect it helped that the Dangan Ronpa playthrough crossed the release of Virtue's Last Reward, another death game related VN (and the Let's Play of 999, the prequel to Virtue's Last Reward).

By the way, if they are taking the mick out of the fans they're not doing it by halves. Huge spoiler for Dangan Ronpa 3 ending: The DR3 death game turns out to be a reality TV show run by a group of fans of the Dangan Ronpa games who love it so much they'll volunteer to have their memories wiped and replaced with those of a wacky DR-like character and then play an actual death game on camera. There are no answers to any of the plot hooks from the previous games because they're also just fictional games in the DR3 world. or something like that anyway. (I didn't actually play it myself, I just saw a bunch of reviews saying "don't play this because of the ending" and was intrigued.)

I don't plan on playing the games but :lol: that owns

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Kanfy posted:

The most important Pillars of Eternity 2 announcement

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/920029698532323328

Can't lose if you got 5 aces :clint:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

That bat IS bad. Very descriptive

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

doesn't it have really bad compatibility with newer systems though, and virtually no modding community? such a shame, saboteur is such a great game.

I have it on Origin and I can run it on Win 10 with no issues. Nth'ing that it's good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

did they ever fix the issue where if you run it at anything over 1280x1024 the game map fails to properly scale and becomes unusable

I heard of that but I never had that issue. They must have fixed it by the time I got it. The GOG version does have that patch baked into their release.

What is the context of that scene in Andromeda anyway? I'm just familiar with that gif.

Also, man I really want to get Witcher 3 but I've got too drat many games on my plate right now and W3 would take up a substantial amount of my time. Definitely money I don't need to be spending too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

How you gonna name and .gif drop without linking the intro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOK8EPsNDI

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there something like isthereanydeal bur for the PS4, where I can just wishlist games and get alerts on sales? Finally got a PS4 :unsmith:

I'm already following @Wario64 on twitter as per a friend's recommendation.

There's this site but I'm not sure if they have a wish list function. I've only used it to check past prices before jumping in on sales.

https://psprices.com/

Edit: oh I guess it does. It tells you right on the opening page. I must have just skipped passed it. Lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I love everything about this picture. Also, I haven't seen it in a while. What's the source anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Looper posted:

Your hands are saturated in subatomic piss particles

homeless snail posted:

isn't everything

This but also subatomic feces particles

• Locked thread