Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He died of a heart attack

He died of a heart attack ack ack ack ack?

Wait which one was Tom Petty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The reports of tom petty's death are greatly exaggerated.

Well not really, the man is on life support and barely clinging on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

raditts posted:

No, we're saving that pun for when Billy Joel dies.

He was taken off life support hours ago, he dead

The LAPD redacted their report about an hour ago. As far as anyone knows he's still alive.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It would be cool if the Japanese version of Headdy could get rolled into an English release. There are a bunch of cosmetic changes that look cooler, like the cat is smiling and creepy as his head flops around.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm glad Touch Detective was survived by its penis mushroom mascot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maybe one of these days I'll get further than the tower knight in Demon's Souls. It's keeping me from playing every other Souls game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

tower knight is badass as a really easy boss that i just barely scraped through after running out of resources and only just barely figuring out how to beat him

That was basically my experience. Took me about 30 minutes running around his arena dodging ghost spears until I built up the courage to try hacking at him.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Look up the final fight to Bowser's Inside Story.

Yoko Shimomura getting her Final Fantasy on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

wow, everything past 6-1 in dynamite headdy sure loves to hand your rear end to you

If it was easy you'd beat it in a rental period and that would make Konami sad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the subject of games with rocky development coming out, A Hat in Time reviews are starting to trickle out and they're positive.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I hope games of the future incorporate an I JUST WANT TO WIN button that gradually fills up every time you fail an encounter and adjusts dynamically based on how well you were doing up to that point.

Nintendo patented this very system.

The best dynamic difficulty was in the objectively best action game God Hand. Doing well powered up the enemies but you'd get better rewards. You had special moves that let you grovel to lower the difficulty or taunt to raise it, adding a bit of strategy as some enemies are easier to defeat than others regardless of difficulty.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

What was that cool looking game at E3 everyone immediately did a 180 on because the creator turned out to be a terrible person

The Last Night, a game about a future where thought police and liberals destroy society because people don't have to work anymore or some such.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure what feelings i should have about gun hazard having a south african chief named bongo

From the company that brought you this!

In Training posted:

After all the build up Pyramid Head has in the early goings of SH2 I was expecting a Clock Tower style indestructible periodic antagonist but I guess you kinda stand a few feet away from him and plug him with 40 9MM slugs and he simpers into a puddle of water...very weird, tonally clashes with the rest of the game. Still loving Silent Hill 2 though

I went through a weird regression with Silent Hill 2. It was neat when it released but it's a great step back in design from SH1 which is a pretty tense survival horror game with aggressive enemies and deliberate level design that makes running difficult. SH2 has weak monsters that are easily dispatched with a pole and you're never really threatened by anything. But a lot of people argue "that's the point" with the story being what it is but it doesn't mean that SH2 is... kind of boring to play. Memorable, beautiful, still haunting but boy do I never want to play it again.

lets hang out posted:

oh thats why it didnt come out in english

C18's watching you, you communist, friend of the family-loving, Paki cunts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Silent Hill 1 is incredibly easy too.

I mean yes, but if SH1 is Super Mario World then SH2 is New Super Mario Bros. You can sleep through that poo poo.

Also the bosses in SH2 are a huge let down. First Pyramid Head you just avoid him for a minute. Abstract daddy (best name btw) and hanging flesh sacks(?) just move in a straight line in a 5x5 room. Eddie is Cybil but nowhere near as creepy or interesting. Same with Mary, it's Incubus but in a well lit room with a dumb attack.

I'm having a rough time forcing my way through SH3 as well. Like there's a fairy tale segment again but instead of a boss it's a harmless lump of flesh that just leaves off screen when you solve the puzzle.

SH1 was the only one I beat new so maybe it's just a "I needed to be there thing" but I don't think I like the series very much tbh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Important question: are charge shots better when you hold down a button and then let go or when you stop firing for a second or two and then hit the button again.

Action platformer e.g. Mega Man = hold down.

Scrolling shooter with auto-fire = wait to charge, hit fire

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

There's something really creepy and upsetting about the art style of Cuphead and for that I will probably never play it.

Those old cartoons were pretty violent and weird. Especially Popeye where he would basically murder people. I have pretty vivid memories of being four and scared by a Popeye episode where a live action boy punches a bully and launches him through a second story plate glass window. That kid wasn't comedically injured, he was dead!

Also

Ah!

AHHH!

HOW IS THIS FUNNY??

Internet Kraken posted:

So do Disney cartoons give you nightmares

I shouldn't jeer so much though given I feel the same way about claymation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgLEkgO0yo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm not afraid to say it:

I've never been scared by a cartoon before.

I have never been scared by a cartoon but I did actively avoid the intro to The Little Mermaid because Triton yelling "ARRRRIEL!!!" really got to me.

But I loooooved the hell scene in All Dogs go to heaven, the nightmare clown in The Brave Little Toaster, and while I didn't get it at the time the loving pogrom in An American Tail.

e: The Grinch's murder box of horrors was also super fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

More like destroy your thumbs. gently caress this cat and her games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

hyphz posted:

See, I read it described as originally being a horror movie where a half-toon girl goes on rampage using the intersection of the two worlds. Human? She can drop an anvil on your head. Toon? When she drops an anvil on your head, you bleed and die.

Which basically makes me think that no one knew what the hell it was supposed to be. But they also thought that Kim Basinger standing in a room full of painted flats would look like a cartoon world.

This is close to the original comic book of The Mask where all the cartoon powers have real life consequences with incredibly disturbing results.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm pretty bummed right now because I can't find my copy of Mischief Makers :(

It was 100% complete and I got it on my birthday with Goldeneye and Star Fox 64, pissing off all my cousins because I wanted to SHAKE SHAKE instead of slapping people in four player deathmatch. It's literally the only N64 game from my collection that just vanished wtf.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This happened last year with Uncharted having concept art from AssCreed in its trailer. When you're working with thousands of assets it's difficult to catch every single one. I knew of the assassination, but never saw a picture so if I was QA'ing the game it'd be like whatever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Olive! posted:

toast is p. good

And bread pudding.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Old dumb shmup plots are the best.

This is not Dirty Pair see our character has blond hair move along don't sue us!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish the final boss was more involved. They could've had you fight Beastector and their machines in their default forms before they combined into MegaZord. Individually they are basically pieces of Seven Force, objectively the greatest boss in video games (and the cornerstone for Cuphead's gameplay concept).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite detail about Mischief Makers is that you rescue the professor multiple times but each chapter ends with him trying to grope Marina and she tosses him into loving space while the narrator says something poetic overlooking Earth's atmosphere.

Although if you end the game and the player's age is 18+ the final scene is him creeping on Marina.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In my ill fated quest to beat every Zelda I'm playing Four Swords solo. I think I'll also finish Resi7 but I just reached the caves which everyone says is butt.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

If you're at the caves you're like 25 minutes away from the end of RE7.

It's strange I cannot play the game for longer than an hour at a time so this may as well be all day for me.

Andrast posted:

I hope that quest includes the CDI games

Obvo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

phoenix is intimidating because a lot of things are going on, but it's actually not that hard. cerberus alpha is basically rng though

Not quite. His missiles are unpredictable but you can shake a missile to blow through them all. And you can grab his charged shot and he'll wait until you throw it at him.

I'll say he's just long. Dude takes more hits than any other boss so there's less room to gently caress up. Like first thing I do is hop on a missile and I'm good after that.

precision posted:

it's pretty amazing that Shinji Mikami made a game whose only memorable part was "HERE'S MY BIG BONER!!!!!!" and then said "OK, but what if I wanted to get really silly?"

the evil within is GOAT

Hey I take offense! Everything about Shadows of the Damned's aesthetic was my poo poo and it didn't play too bad.

TEW could've topped it if they laid off the bullshit instant deaths. I really enjoyed 3/4 of that game but that one quarter was just a kick in the nuts every time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly do not get all the raving about how innovative the Nemesis system is and how much it adds to games and how people want to see that repeated like it's something special. I even died while playing Shadow of Mordor so I actually got to see the traits change but big whoop, interlocking enemy traits is something that has been in RPGs and hierarchy-based territory control has been in other open world games. The narrative stuff is all generic palette swap enemies with canned monologues that I skipped after the first dozen and hearing that they're made even longer and more frequent in Shadow of War is not exciting to me at all

It's stuff that's been in other games but not to that degree. It was a glimmer of something another company could perfect but nobody actually did. Like the system would've worked well in a Batman game where each rogue has their own henchmen. It would've been perfect in a wrestling game where bullshit soap opera stories are why people still care.

But nah, its being tossed in the garbage because WB doesn't have a franchise to milk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't have experience with the games industry, but in my experience if you work on something like this for several years you start to believe your own BS justifications or you burn out pretty quickly.

The whole "saintly game developers struggling valiantly against the satanic game publishers" narrative people use really bugs me. I'm sure there's a bit of truth to it, but the developers bear some responsibility for these things that they make.

In this case the bullshit is coming outside the game. It's WB's newsletter you're signing up for to get that sweet xp boost.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Olive! posted:

Four Swords or Four Swords Adventures? Cause I'm pretty sure Four Swords is unplayable solo.

Nintendo released a patched Four Swords for Zelda's 25th(?) on DSi Ware. It's the only way to play the game solo and local multiplayer and Nintendo offered it for 5 minutes before locking it away in the Disney vault.

Just reached the desert in Four Swords Adventure and the level design overall is pretty terrible. They expect you to coordinate in frustrating ways and I could not imagine playing this with three other assholes. I'm resolved to beat every Zelda I haven't completed which means I'm dreading Triforce whatever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Resident EVIL down. Next up to finish the last quarter of Silent Hill 3 and make this a productive day.

Feels like they completely ran out of ideas as the last area is a linear enemy gauntlet. I don't know why I kept bouncing off this, been playing it since release, but I think the pacing is all over the place. I really enjoyed the movie vignettes and I'd love to see a game built entirely around that. Like you're investigating some bullshit watching snuff films which reveal solutions to puzzles, why aren't there more of this??

In Training posted:

this game kicks rear end.

You literally have seen nothing yet.

On a related note, Suda made a Blood+ game which is his Deadly Premonition. It basically bridges the gap between Killer7 and No More Heroes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2St6dvBv_4U

Just wanted to share this song I'm listening to because I like it and thought others might wanna listen to it as well.

I'll be the rooooundabout!

Wait, no wrong opening.

In music related discoveries I'm pretty sure this song from Grandia came from a smudged sheet music of Mamae Eu Quero.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I have to say that Evil Within feels a bit rougher than I was expecting from the guy who directed RE4, even with warnings going into it that it was a flawed game.

Is there any reason to ever be punching things in this game? Or are we back to original RE1 knife levels for melee?

The game changes completely each chapter. First couple are strictly stealth but eventually you reach a point where you never really run dry.

But the basic gameplay involves knee-capping an enemy then burning them quickly. Sometimes you'll catch multiple guys together. Upgrade your matches ASAP, it will save you ammo.

Lessons learned from my run, the 5th upgrade is never worth it on the first run. 15 matches is great but I never had that many, let alone 30 that the final upgrade allows.

Best upgrades early game are sprint (critical by mid-game), matches, and agony ammo. Critical chance is handy for instant kills. I'd say melee is the least useful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The final boss is a xenomorph on the statue of liberty.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is all coming together.

I got real lucky with the Ramsus and Opiomorph fights. Ramsus kept skipping turns after dropping a Fallen One on everyone and the rodent kept healing. The Ether Doubler doesn't improve her healing, so it easily made Emeralda even more of a destroyer. A few turns avoiding a quick game over and he fell down. Opiomorph's buffing ended up doing nothing to lessen all the damage I was flinging at it. Then the hour long cutscene started with fake difficulty bosses in between. Damage caps were reached.

Aw, they changed the spelling in later versions. In the PS1 version it's zenogias which is is literally Xenogears' katakana and everything wrong with that game's localization.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This is actually the leaked intro for the next Zelda game.

I mean it's pretty much how the last few Zelda games started.

It really highlights how amazing A Link to the Past's intro was. It's dark and stormy, a mysterious voice calls you out of bed to face an army barehanded, then you come across your dying uncle who tells you to gently caress poo poo up.

I don't know why the 3D games insist on such obnoxious world building. At least BotW eschews the forced segments for making the entire first roadblock an extended tutorial.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh jeeze they're still using one time cards in the year of our lord 2017?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Silent Hill 2 is good and I hope you enjoy it.

Oh yeah so I've been playing The Evil Within some more and I'm at the RE1 Mansion for some reason.

Uh why is there a ghost that seems to randomly spawn and insta-kill me if he touches me? It's not even the insta-kill that bothers me so much as having to randomly stop exploring so I can run around enough to despawn him.

There is no reason for anything in TEW. The whole setup is to throw you in ridiculous horror scenarios.

Anyway he only spawns once per wing so when the screen flashes duck in the nearest cupboard. This is the only level this guy appears like this.

And a little tip, the next chapter is super long and hard. There's a chase sequence with an old enemy and while they can be killed you shouldn't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The original PC port also kept (I believe) PS2 button prompts in so if you're playing on a keyboard you're hosed when an instant death QTE comes at you unless you know which action corresponds to a controller's button.

• Locked thread