Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'anime bullshit' is a self-conscious goon way of saying 'a plot happened and i liked the plot'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of berseria is a game with a good plot and interesting characters that happens to be made in japan so some people will be weird about it forever instead of just saying they liked it

velvet kills people and has a darker take on morality than a lot of jrpg protagonists which makes her interesting but the game isn't some 'heh OWN' on standard jrpg plots, or even a game where you play as the villain, it's just interested in characters who have been hurt and the hosed up ways those characters go about dealing with that hurt, and interested in showing those characters sympathy and giving them depth that a more standard morality-play plot (either western or eastern, since a lot of jrpg plots are influenced by western fantasy) might not allow them. velvet isn't really a hardcore villain or 'above' the plot going on around her, she's just a person who makes some hosed up decisions and those decisions have consequences but you can understand why she makes those decisions. velvet isn't even some edgy badass, she shows other characters sympathy and kindness at times and has sides to her personality that just exist for comedic effect or to emphasize that she's just a person. she's just a well-written character, there's no weird own on other jrpg plots happening there, and there are parts of berseria that are clearly influenced by either other JRPGs (The director loves Tales of the Abyss, there's some visual cues taken from Bloodborne) or anime/manga (A lot of the basic plot setup and the setting are clearly inspired by Berserk).

Berseria is a good game that I absolutely recommend people play but it's. A JRPG. it has a more unique plot and tone compared to a 'standard' JRPG but it's no more extreme a departure from the norm than some other Tales games, or, like, Shadow Hearts.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 1, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

you're clearly just being weird about it because it happens to be made in japan instead of just saying you liked it :smug:
thats uhhh not what i meant at all lol

saying something is bad = sure
'i liked this so i gotta point out that i dont like anime while saying i liked it' = weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

It’s one of the interesting problems of game series with strong stories. Generally, stories are best experienced in order. Like, with most books and movies you generally want to start with the first one. But games are also software. And software tends to get better over time. Most games are standalone enough and the references or emotional strength of moment you might miss by jumping into the middle are probably out weighed by better combat/QoL etc. but it is definitely a trade off.

For me, your advice is probably the right advice 100% of the time, I just don’t want to spend 300 hours on older games to fully experience the latest in a series. So I’ll spoil the older games and jump in to the new one. And then probably not play it to the ending anyway.
I mean, the persona games have basically no story relation to each other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wow that sure was a very story relevant scene

Raxivace posted:

If anything Berseria feels very traditionally Tales to me. Taken loosely, it doesn't even have a plot that different than Phantasia's.
like i said the director's a longtime fan with actual opinions on the tales games relative to each other, and the game was meant as kind of a salve to the fandom after zestiria was, uh, the video game tales of zestiria for the ps3 so yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the perfect video game is fantasy maiden wars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyWyZjV1Qog&t=57s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm not afraid to say it:

I've never been scared by a cartoon before.
the only time ive been scared by a cartoon is this weird thing i remember seeing where a guy's hooked up to this clockwork orange type machine with his eyes pried open and a fly lands on his eyeball and theres this giant zoom in on the fly walking around on his eye

it was probably from a music video or something i cant imagine that being in an actual show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thank you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

He used to be a nice guy who plays villain roles until he got a concussion and believed himself to be a real villain. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Judge_Doom
according to that article they originally wanted tim curry for doom before deciding that would be too scary, which, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

raditts posted:

I don't understand, did they need an image of a dead guy to overlay on their background image and someone on the art staff just did a Google image search and decided that one would do?

Often times game devs will use real photos with the plan to trace over them with models/CG work or whatever later. The shots of the earth and the moon and such in Sonic Adventure 2 are just traced over NASA photos, for instance, and there are portraits in... I think Eternal Darkness? That are just stock photos traced over by an artist.

So odds are someone put that in there as a placeholder and then nobody ever had the time to go make the actual asset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

raditts posted:

I don't understand, did they need an image of a dead guy to overlay on their background image and someone on the art staff just did a Google image search and decided that one would do?

Often times game devs will use real photos with the plan to trace over them with models/CG work or whatever later. The shots of the earth and the moon and such in Sonic Adventure 2 are just traced over NASA photos, for instance, and there are portraits in... I think Eternal Darkness? That are just stock photos traced over by an artist.

So odds are someone put that in there as a placeholder and then nobody ever had the time to go make the actual asset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Fallout 4 is about replicants but there is no subtlety on any level because it's Fallout loving 4.

the dlc with those bunch of rundown lovely robots with human brains in them sadly recreating their posh rich lifestyle was good, imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

So AGDQ 2018 is not going to include Super Metroid for the first time since it started

http://www.shacknews.com/article/101669/super-metroid-will-not-be-run-at-awesome-games-done-quick-2018

lol at the passive-aggressive 'let's see what the donation amounts will be now!' tweets

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

http://assets.neogafllc.netdna-cdn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452075

:lol:

No more Off-topic because you used that to mock me and question my actions.

Also all mods are anonymous now so I can't be blamed for sweeping in and banning you for whatever reason.
the shitpost threads own

quote:

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Evilore the Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the NeoGaf mods would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. EvilLore was a the owner of a gaming forum, so powerful and so wise he could use social justice to influence lots of gamers… He had such a knowledge of the social justice that he could even keep the ones he cared about from being accused of pedophilia. The dark side of social justice is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentices in the NeoGaf forum everything he knew, then the users of his own fórum killed him on social media. Ironic. He could judge others from being lovely but he couldn't tolerate being judged by others for being a rapist piece of poo poo"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This is a level beyond doubling-down. This is a Deluxe Double Combo Double Down.
also you should see the excuse he gave to the mod team

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

precision posted:

lol ibuki is cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is this a joke

no its basically what the entire neogaf forum was like

multiple women who worked on video games got banned for disagreeing with the group think about something being problematic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm enjoying the plot at the end if Berseria fir the most part but the villains scheme is so ridiculous and evil that it feels ridiculous to see characters give impassioned speeches against them because of how disconnected they seem from any form of reality. Like the villains are literally against free will and that's just so obviously ridiculous to me that I can't imagine why the game feels it needs try and convince me that it's bad
i mean tales of zestiria was a game where the literal protagonists were kind of against free will and letting people work through their issues on their own and berseria is a game that partly exists as a 'wow zestiria sure sucked hard sorry about that' thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is my first Tales that's but if that's the case, that sounds remarkably lovely an is hilarious
the protagonist of tales of zestiria thinks that orphans with depression and mildly greedy rich guys are worse than his best friend, a trained assassin who has killed hundreds of people for a variety of fairly flimsy reasons

also one of the party members literally crawls inside said assassin's head and uses her as a puppet to accomplish his own goals when she's asleep, and nobody ever goes 'you know, maybe that was a hosed up thing to do'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Oh, a party of assholes that trumps Abyss where everyone shits on the protag for being an ignorant brat because he spent his whole life secluded and intentionally told nothing about the state of the world.
luke killed thousands of people

and most of the party forgives him for it and his response as the game goes on, they just, you know, reacted like people would to the realization that thousands of people just died in front of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guy: forgives luke almost immediately
tear: forgives luke almost immediately
natalia: doesnt really talk to him about it but even in the moment she wasn't going after him, she was more confused about the whole asch thing
jude: has multiple skits where he and luke talk about guilt and responsibility
anise: has an entire arc about being kind of a selfish brat herself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The party isn't bagging on Luke for his role in it, they're bagging on him for immediately trying to shift the blame. Regardless of whether or not it was 'his fault,' he still did it. Imagine if you got into a car crash and killed a bus full of schoolkids, stumbled out, then immediately yelled to everyone in earshot about how it wasn't your fault. Yeah, maybe, but jesus christ dude.

And Luke has responsibility for his actions too. Jude is one thing, but the worst Tear had ever done to him is make a couple of snippy comments, and he still utterly refused to listen to her, and Guy had been nothing but gracious and kind to him and he refused to even slow his roll for five seconds or consult Guy for advice on Van asking him to do this kind of shady thing. There were tons of warning signs that Luke just utterly refused to pay attention to, or even slow down and talk to anybody else about. He's culpable in what happened and refused to take even a basic amount of responsibility for it.

And it's not like the party tries to kill him or execute him or anything. Jude and Anise just call him a brat, and then everybody leaves with Asch. Which is a totally fair thing to do: Luke is obviously of no help to anybody right now, and Asch had an actual actionable plan on how to proceed. In real life, Luke'd totally get imprisoned forever for doing that, even if it was an accident or he'd been conditioned into doing it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Luke obviously isn't the sole person responsible: Van, for one, but the party themselves are kind of to blame too, for not realizing just how hosed up Luke was and how deep Van's claws were sunk into him, but they actually acknowledge this.

quote:

GUY: But he's a replica, so... It's partly my fault he's grown up the way he
has over the past seven years. ... And partly yours, too, Natalia.

NATALIA: ...Yes...perhaps you're right. As you say, Luke may be in need of
someone to support him right now.

quote:

LUKE: Yeah...more and more is falling into the Qliphoth. All because I
destroyed the Akzeriuth Sephiroth...

ANISE: You can stop saying that now, silly.

Also Jade spends the entire second half of the game trying to correct Luke. They have several heart-to-hearts and Jade stops Luke from making mistakes that they both know he'll regret.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its more like if you asked your friend to drive and they constantly insisted that they could and threatened to call the cops if you tried to keep them from their car and also flipped off several low-flying military aircraft and you were stuck in the car with them because the president said not being in the car with them was a federal offense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah Magilou owns and is consistently the best part of the game. Velvet owns too but it isn't as consistent.

Eisen is kind of irritating though.

eizen's good because he nerds out over archaeology and then gets owned by eleanor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spoilers but I gotta get this off my chest because it’s loving killing me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wCb4cZ5lus

You can’t kill Bowser in the new Mario. You're not allowed to. If you kill him, you die and the mission fails.

They made a Mario game where you lose when you kill Bowser. They made a Mario game where you lose when you kill Bowser. They made a Mario game where you lose when you kill Bowser.

Only Nintendo could gently caress up a concept as simple as ‘Kill Bowser, Win Game’

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I understand that Wolfenstein is a silly game about shooting Nazis and it's not like someone came in and posted the end to Persona 6 a day before it came out, but just because you don't think it's an important thing to properly spoiler tag doesn't mean it's not worth it to someone else.

"I don't care if people fart on my food. In fact studies show that most people enjoy the food better after it's been farted on. I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape because someone farted on your food, it's only a sandwich lol. 'Oh no, someone farted on my sandwich!' lol. Like you should be surprised that your sandwich smells a little, IT'S A SANDWICH. Known for having, duh, smells! What, are you not going to eat the sandwich because a little fart got on it? Fart on my food all you want, I don't care; I eat food for the mouth feel, not the freshness. Idiot baby."
buddy do you have a fetish you need to share

its 2017 im not gonna kinkshame

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people got mad about saying goro was a party member even though he was on the box

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

wolfenstein was all a dream, you get the game over because you woke hitler up from his dream

ballad of the windmensch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

at the end of mario odyssey, bowser's corpse lies at the bottom of a giant hat box. suddenly, a purple hat lands on his head, and he grows a pointy mustache. the game fades out to a screen saying "to be continued in mario tennis"
at the end of mario oddysey mario and luigi are crucified and the game ends with the credits showing you nintendo's email address

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's an optional part where you can go see a little storybook of rosalina's backstory but its totally optional so idk why people who dislike it get mad about it. and it wasn't like, some grand sweeping epic, just a little storybook. it fit the theme fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

miyamoto sucks. retire btich.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Who here isn’t a person?

me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Guess I don’t understand what it means when someone says “I’m not a person”
it means theyre sephiroth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm subhuman filth irl, a leech, a bottomfeeder, a parasite. I just want people above me to be good to each other/be good by each other cause the world is rough and tough and sometimes when a person has had enough I want them to know that someone out there wants them to keep on truckin, that there's someone out there who believes in them. I've been described as a sponge. I do well with soaking up the bad vibes from people so that they can focus on more important things.
this, uh, isn't a healthy frame of mind at all. for one thing how is someone supposed to take your belief or support seriously if you dont think of yourself as worthwhile. love inward love outwards man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is that battletoads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dehumanize yourself and face to posts

• Locked thread