Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lichyrat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

I'm playing a truly Spooktober Frightfest of a game: Kirby's Adventure.
This is my first foray into Kirby games, can't believe they've eluded me for so long. Tryna go chronologically so I tore through Dreamland before this. The biggest surprise, next to how well made both of these games are, was that Dreamland didn't even have the copy ability.

Wait until you get to kirby super star, now that's the good stuff

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My perfect game is journey

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is an extra spooky month, which means it's the perfect time for everyone to play darkwood, one of the best games I've played this year

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wasting your time between attempts is the worst and nothing makes it clearer than how much less frustrating it is to have a checkpoint directly before the thing, like maria in bloodborne or sinh in dark souls 2

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I've never played a Metroid; where would be a good place to start?

Play super metroid to appreciate what makes it good, then play metroid prime 1 and 2 to see that realized in 3D

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's rocket launcher in warframe which is hold and release and it's one of the most fun game guns ever made, so that's the way to go for that kind of weapon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hey all, did you know cuphead is like dark souls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I watched Watership Down when I was very young and am still traumatised by it.

The book didn't bother me much but I couldn't get halfway through the film, jesus christ it bothered me for days

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

hyphz posted:

I was invited to a girl's birthday party where the well meaning parents showed Watership Down. I escaped trauma only because being a boy they thought I would be bored by the cute rabbity film and would want to go play video games instead.

Also, Bakshi and cartoons created Cool World which is failure incarnate.

Had these parents literally never seen any of it before because one of the bunnies starts seeing visions of fields drowned in swirling blood less than five minutes in

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

Physics error in your favor! Collect $200 and then kick the game board as hard as you can

I'm dead

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm so :stoked: for monster hunter you guys, everything just looks so good and you can even customize your felyne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgFs_JFQRxw

what a great cat...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's a very simple game that freely invites the player to help construct its own significance. Your connection to Journey is very tied up in what emotional state you're in when you play it. Many see it as a metaphor for accepting death, or recovering from an illness/addiction, and if you're in that vulnerable state of mind, it's easy to see how you can draw a lot of meaning from the narrative. If you're not really thinking about those things or not at all invested in its storytelling then it will of course seem like a really sparse experience.

I didn't pay attention to any of the symbolibabble you can interpret from the game and still think it's one of the best experiences I've ever played. Austin wintory is a hero and the vast amount of care that went into the game's presentation is evident after playing it for a matter of seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7307qRmlMI

If only action games actually cared about their camera this much.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would much rather pay $75 upfront for a new AAA game with no lootbox/microtransaction bullshit than $60 for a game that's been compromised to shoehorn that poo poo in. Games are getting more expensive to make and inflation happens as always, so I have no problem with paying proportionally more for a new game. I would rather publishers make me pay more for something in ways that doesn't gently caress with the quality of the product itself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The suits will never be stopped forever. Bethesda pulled their dumbshit paid mod system from steam the first time they tried it years ago after they got shouted out of the room, and here they are trying the same thing again except they somehow managed to make it even dumber.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

al-azad posted:

What was Bethesda trying to do? All I remember is Steam giving the option and everyone flipping out but eh people should charge money for something they think is worth money and a lot of mods are beyond professional quality.

Supporting mod authors with donations has always been possible and doesn't need to be chained to a system where bethesda and valve take 75% of the loving profits while that system does absolutely nothing to deal with shifting mod dependencies and updates that cause problems through compatibility or otherwise. The thing was transparently just a corporate response to suits seeing buzz around mods and demanding "how haven't we monetized this yet!?" without actually understanding what mods are or why that idea is a mess. It also got into legal nightmare territory when paid mods started using resources like animations and models that the modder did not create and did not have permission to use.

I don't know if the new system is any better about the dependency issues but it's already laughable because it makes you download every single mod on the service if you just want to use one of them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

HD remasters are probably pretty profitable for the labor cost of "add some more resolution options and less blurry textures" and resell for 20bux.

Nah sometimes they go the extra mile like adding instability and cocking up fundamental parts of the presentation like they did for the bioshock remaster

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

I thought the metal gear solid thread was one of the many broken threads across the forums but it keeps getting new posts, is it just broken for me?

If it's broken in the same way as the bloodborne thread was then it's just people making blind posts in it for reasons unclear, and I would suggest making a new thread

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

didn't it only stay unstuck for one page before it broke again

Yeah which is why we just kept the replacement thread and the other broke threads should make new ones

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/BNLFz5c.gifv

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can you actually skip the cutscenes in the new wolfenstein

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not impressed by Horizon: Zero Dawn. Okay, bye.

I've been dragging my heels getting through this game for several months. everyone raves about what a religious experience it is but other than the graphics, it is doing absolutely nothing for me. I'm pretty much only playing it when I want to look at pretty graphics for awhile. Something's missing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oddium posted:

i too can tell when someone uses shotguns in nuclear throne

:captainpop:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I use the auto shotgun and auto flame shotgun all the time, they're great

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darkwood is the correct amount of spooky

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nachos posted:

Everything about wolfenstein 2 is pure and innocent and good

but can you skip the cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how is the evil within 2 about instakills? The first game looked full of them and a bunch of other poo poo I knew I'd hate so I skipped it but the second one looks better to me.

• Locked thread