Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why isn't there a button in Valkyria Chronicles that you can just press and say "I don't want any anti-Semitic assholes in my squad."

This seems like a major design flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Really Pants posted:

you can just leave them on the bench forever if you want

it's not even any kind of dilemma since the racist recruits are all mediocre-to-terrible and the Darcsen recruits are all top tier

e: I forgot about Rosie but she comes around eventually

True, but I just feel it would be so satisfying if you can press a button and say "this is never happening"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

exquisite tea posted:

David Lynch needs to make a video game instead of just inspiring all the best ones.

Only if its a 100 hour JRPG experience because boy I would want to make that last.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nah it should have a tutorial should we can get the video game equivalent of this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2Nfvc8WMw but with the tutorial fading in and out

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone help me recreate Mullohand Drive as a visual novel.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Actually, isn't Mizzurna Falls pretty much a David Lynch game?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

It's the only Carpenter movie I kind of like.

I'm sorry you lost your daughter in an ice cream shooting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It turns out the fire emblem series is actually good if your first game isn't the remake on the DS but actually one of the GBA games, hmm interesting.

The structure of this game is so weird (7). Hey, you are a tactician hanging out with Lynn, lets meet a ton of characters and 10 missions later well you save the day and Lynn says goodbye to you and suddenly its one year later and you are hanging out with a pretty boy instead.

The thing is it actually works pretty well, and having those characters that show up in those first 10 missions established already when they come back in again just feels real good.
What are some other games that have a weird structure like this, I can't really think of anything. And I don't mean the whole "you are suddenly a different character for the last mission/post game" because honestly that is pretty standard.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

corn in the bible posted:

Some other Fire Emblem games do that too

Huh, I'll look forward to that because I am planning on playing the following games as I move forward.

I only heard about the support stuff in the later games, but I was surprised just how much character even your minor units get in this game, because I was under the assumption that was a thing they only started with later games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FirstAidKite posted:

It's not the same thing by any means, but I always got that kind of feeling with the shadow hearts series. You maintained the same cast of characters throughout the game but each game was set up to be split into two very specific parts where, if the devs wanted to, they could have easily made a few adjustments and just ended the game halfway through, but instead chose to keep going with a different plot that develops on the aftermath of the first plot and sees it through to a more final conclusion. Koudelka did it, Shadow Hearts 1 did it, Covenant did it, From The New World did it (though imo not as well as the previous games with From The New World's latter half not feeling anywhere near as interesting as the first half even if some of the designs were cool).

It was neat going through the second parts of these stories and adventuring in a whole new set of areas and finding out how things in this second story are connected with things from the first story.

This sounds pretty neat! I've been meaning to get to those games eventually so this is making me look forward to them even more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The DS remakes just suck tbh

Oh, I already know, I tried playing the DS game first and it completely soured me on the series for a while.

e: I just remember thinking "god, why are these maps so big"

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 13, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

They're that way for a reason, which is that they're nostalgia trips for people who didn't like all this support nonsense or thought the games had gotten easy or the maps were too small or whatever. They're designed to appeal to people who loved the NES games, which is basically just Japanese people, since those never got localized.

e: like here's a map from fire emblem 4, on the snes

Jesus loving christ.

I mean at least it is a pretty nice looking map, but I just can't imagine playing that without wanting to pull out my hair.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cowcaster posted:

maybe a better way to look at it is "what is a game you like, but would never recommend to anyone"

Raw Danger!

I would never recommend it everyone, but I have shown people all the weird stuff in the beginning more than once.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I watched Steve Gaynor and Nina Freeman (devs at Fullbright) stream a bunch of that game and it looked hilarious.

Any other game would have removed the usability of the yell button in the opening party scene.

Not Raw Danger!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone should take that Walden game someone made and add in some Doom monsters as a mod.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whatever happened to Geno

I always imagined he died the same way as Edgar Allan Poe.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

Drunk in an alleyway wearing another man's clothes?

In this case a Koopa shell, but yes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DLC Inc posted:

do you really

TBF, it is homeless snail's job, they are a writer on Law and Order: Mushroom Kingdom after all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Looper posted:

Nobody ever wonders what my boy Mallow is up to :(

Playing in a Jimmy Buffet tribute band.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

raditts posted:

and tedious "find all the bear butts" completionist crap.

didn't realized so many games took place in San Francisco

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I came here a boy, leave here a man. Goodbye to all the real ninjas
- Ending lines of I assume Naruto

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

precision posted:

"dabbled in gay poo poo" is the best part of that post

For some reason I read that bit the same way a wizard would say they dabbled in the dark arts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The White Dragon posted:

why can't these people just say "i tried touchin a dick, i didn't like it but hey what can you do"

because you can't follow that up with "of course this made me even more straight"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

But do you know why birds fly?

To make Prince Percival happy :3:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am playing Berseria right now and I was literally thinking "it feels like whoever made this game wanted to make a game about assholes who aren't actually assholes" and well that explains why.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Magilou is too charming to be an rear end in a top hat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There are no video games in November, doesn't anybody remember the last 20 years when all video games just mysteriously disappear during the month?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The only problem with the LWA video game is that the main character isn't Amanda.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Player one would be Amanda, player two would be boy Amanda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want a 2d fighter with a roster of game creators whose name goes on the box. Sid Meir vs Will Wright, Hideo Kojima vs David Cage, Player Unknown vs American McGee. Move over Smash.

• Locked thread