Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Playing Heat Signature and I love so much about the game. The risk and reward of tackling increasingly complex missions before retiring your hero, the off-the-cuff problem solving that takes advantage of the pause and slow-mo systems, the slow transformation into a specter of vengeance before taking one chance too many and needing to be rescued by the next batch of defectors. It's good and I wish the gifs from the thread would load in my iPad so I can relish in the experience from my couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
When you retire a guy you get to choose one item in their possession to rename and seed in your and your Steam friends' worlds. So now when I get something that's self recharging I pretty much immediately retire the guy, giving up everything else they've earned but letting me populate the galaxy with poo poo named "The Tireless Negotiator" (subverter) or "There Is Another World, There Is A Better World" (glitch trap)

I stayed up until 3am playing it last night and I anticipate doing the same tonight.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Neptunia is to JRPGs as Knack is to PlayStation games

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I can't stop playing Heat Signature. I did my first Stronghold mission that was full of sentry turrets and guards with shields. There was no way I was going to be able to handle it with violence, so I meditated on it for a bit and wound up taking a kit focused on speed and stealth, with a key cloner and subverter for breaking locks and a sidewinder (teleport within a radius so long as the path isn't blocked by a door) for emergencies. I wound up triggering the alarm about halfway through but I was able to juggle my equipment to keep me moving at high speed and half-invisible through to the cockpit. Then it was a simple matter of setting the ship on a collision course with the Stronghold and using the last eight seconds (an eternity when you have two slipstreams running in your pocket) to loot the last two chests before blasting open a window and being sucked into the cold embrace of space where I could remotely control my pod to pick me up so I could follow the craft and watch my handiwork.

The game really shines when it puts you up against a tough scenario. You can have a character who's decked out in enough gear to trivialize almost anything, but that person stopes contributing towards your overall progression pretty quickly so you're constantly incentivized to retire them and let some new blood play the hero.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Battle Angel Alita demake looking... pretty weird tbh

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

There's something really creepy and upsetting about the art style of Cuphead and for that I will probably never play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HtOIzvA8U
My grandma had this on a VHS with two other cartoons and it's burned into my brain. Watching it again really shows off the Fleischer influence in Cuphead

I think this one was on the same video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qcw_PLdbis

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The extreme close ups in Ren and Stimpy always freaked me out.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

here's my own mystery cartoon from my youth i only rediscovered a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnltLPf8KcM

gently caress, dude. That's a super hard :smith: with a slightly :unsmith: ending.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I thought the whole point of the assassins in AC is to rail against the Templars and their attempts to gate knowledge and power, in turn making Templars a higher class of citizen and stratifying the rest of the world. The assassins counter this by reminding them that all men are equal and equally susceptible to death, often via a short, sharp piece of metal. The modern games are pretty much saying that some people simply are better than others and that they require a higher class of weaponry and skill to kill. In effect, the Assassin's Creed games are proving the Templars right.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Assassins are the contrarian party and all they really stand for is opposing the Templars. Luckily, there is no form of exploitation or evil that isn't directly linked to the Templars.

I watched the IGN review for Shadow of War and I think I'll pass. Some neat stuff in there,Maureen, but we all know there'll be a GOTY edition in a flash sale by this time next year. I can wait.

edit for the snipe: I have a pretty loose knowledge of the AC lore; I'm no scholar. But the fact that they have fought the Templars with surgical murders throughout time and continue to lose ground is a pretty good illustration about how violence solves nothing. Now Wolfenstine, there's a fable I can get behind.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 6, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Broken Quest Chain! Continue playing as normal but there are no longer win conditions. Continue playing forever or start the game over.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Colonel posted:

if only skyrim gave you a message about continuing to persist in the doomed world you have created

"Huh, I got a mailer from my registered political party, the Republicans. I wonder what could be... hrmmm."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Olive! posted:

Been seeing this from a lot of different people lately, did the phone app break or something?

It’s not exclusive to the phone app.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Batllefront 2 is okay enough and I dig the starfighter stage, but I don't like most of the Star Wars character designs and think the game is really hampered by having to stay faithful to them. When Team Fortress 2 came out Valve made a big deal about making each class visibly distinct so you knew who you were facing with a moment's glance. In Battlefront 2 one side is literally the same thin droid with different weapons, and another is three guys in Stormtrooper armor and one guy with no armor at all.

E: it also highlights how bland Episode 7 was, where the two special ships it introduces for the starfighter stage are completely forgettable. Oh yea, all the fond memories I have of *squints* Poe Dameron's unique X-Wing.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 9, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm in dilemma. I'm very excited to play The Evil Within 2, which comes out on Friday. I have a friend who watched me play through the first game and enjoys horror like I do. My problem: we can only get together on Mondays, and she has moved about 30 minutes away since we played TEW. My problem; do I play through The Evil Within 2 by myself so I can binge the experience and not tell her about the game, or do I invite her over so we can go through it together but far more slowly. Additional information: my baby has chosen the hours of 6pm through 12am to be inconsolable unless he is mainlining mother's milk, making the immersion into a game pretty challenging.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'll look into streaming it. Chapter by chapter was fine but this game seems like it has more hub areas and it sucks to play something for just a few hours a week when I really want the spook. But it's also how we played through Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame 2, TEW, RE4 and RE7, so there's certainly a precedent. Now that I have my PS4 wired to my internet maybe the system streaming won't be as shoddy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I thought they promised that if the the fifth game didn't do well that they would kill the series. It peaked with 2 and they've made increasingly baffling decisions since then.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I played the first chapter of the lo-fi adventure game The Last Door two years ago and thought it was pretty creepy without ever putting the player in danger. The second chapter is mysteriously in my library so I think I'll give that a whirl some night soon.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I was hopeful for The Good Life until the dog version was announced. It's like Swery pulled a lever labeled "Feature Bloat" and sent it into oblivion.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

that's not terrible for a first attempt i guess

so this is the answer to "who would pay $35 for a shump in 2017?"

e: Oh, it has a 15% discount on Steam.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 12, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah, thats pretty much the reason they are cancelling it, they said they dont want to end up in a scenario where they cant play out the kill/save endings after a shitload of donations.

That sounds fair, but it won't take long for people to start making veiled threats about the amount of donations for having the audacity to not include a game in the lineup. "I hope those cancer patients are okay with you cutting Super Metroid."

e: It looks like the charity is the Prevent Cancer Foundation, so only new cases of cancer can be blamed on GDQ.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I bought Shadow of War because I have the self control of a rich white man in Hollywood. What good games are coming out between now and the end of the year so I can start making my lame “I won’t spend money on another new game for X months”

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Rare is the game that stars children and stays appropriate. Earthbound is the example that comes to mind because it never fully divorces itself from the theme of being a kid on an adventure. You still call your dad to save, you still get homesick, and even at its most dramatic it still weighs your childhood as your defining characteristic.

I like more fleshed out protagonists, and since teens are usually orphans or top-of-their-class recruits, adults who have had the chance to have a family have the posibility to be the most interesting heroes. We've seen a lot of dads in gaming, I want to see more moms take the center stage.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Did anyone play the Wii U Fatal Frame game? I played 2 and really liked it. Shame Fatal Frame Zero(?) didn't get a physical copy I could buy used somewhere.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Entrain Odyssey V: Beynd the Myth comes out in, what, two days? I think the last one I played was 3, it had the airship element. Excited to jump back in. Thinkin' 'bout those maps.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yo CJacobs, I need to watch the Executioner DLC videos before I can call TEW truly finished. Keep me updated on when you get that copyright issue resolved or post a mirror somewhere.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Is there a video game gifs thread? There's one for screenshots but since most are sources from Steam they don't load at work. Gifs though, gifs I can do.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

did they rejigger something when they retranslated fft to make it more unclear because as jacked up as the original ps1 translation was it seemed pretty clear that not only did argath shoot teta on purpose to get a clear shot at gustav but did so at the behest of zalbag who had told him she was expendable

If you don't spend every story mission with Algus throwing rocks at his elitist noggin after robbing him of his equipment, you're pretty much complicit in his murderous acts later on. I love that when he's introduced the game provides the one choice where the stat boost is "kill the enemies" instead of "save the victim." They knew he should be gutted; Ramza stepping in pretty much doomed him and Delita, although I guess the Beoulve conspiracy would have remained undisturbed. It's a good game but I never got past chapter 3.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

pyf places for Agent 47 to travel in season 2

An exclusive furry convention.

Kowloon Walled City

The Abstergo game development offices, and he can kill his target by severing their link with their history man while they are synced, trapping them in the game forever

A moon base/space station.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I don't have a cable provider, mainly just Netflix, Hulu, HBONow and YouTube. I rarely see ads for games but will sometimes see ads for the PlayStation (which is what I'm using to watch the ads on).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

:w00t:

FIGHTING STREET

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I like Zactronics games but I haven't played Shenzen IO or TIS-100 because I never bothered to print out the manuals. Despite that, I love the type of games they make and each one is a treasure for my brain. I like them for the same reason I like Factorio and Big Pharma: you plan, then execute, then refine.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Phantasium posted:

There was a Dreamcast game that did something with it but it was an incredibly janky game when I tried it.

Seaman?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

TIL that there's a boss fight at the end of Kirby's Dream Course

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

What's the difference between a Super Shroom that Mario et al would use to heal with and a Toad/resident of the Toadstool Kingdom? Are they divergent evolutionary paths? A form of caste system? If a Toad is wounded, would eating a mushroom be seen as cannibalism and, if so, how does their society react to it? These questions and many more answered in my new self-published book "Mario on Shrooms," available in time for Christmas. (14,000 pages, $9.99)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unrelated. Toads are a prey species, they evolved to look like mushrooms - the dominant flora - as a camouflage. This is canon.

Who is the Toad’s predator(s)? Goombas? Koopas?! Is Bowser just popping Toads into his mouth like popcorn while waiting for Mario to show up to the tennis court?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

La-mehlana

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I like La-Mulana in theory. I can’t see figuring out the puzzles without a guide and the LP is very good. I’m excited for the sequel but I know my limitations.

I bought the new Etrian Odyessy for my overnight at the children’s hospital but I forgot my stylus. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

*playing phantasy star 2 without a manual* what the gently caress do these techs do?!? Eijib? Conte? Shinb? Also I’ve been stuck in this dungeon for hours when am I gonna find a save point?

• Locked thread