Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only game I can think of that I played and I'd call perfect, at the time I first tried and right now, is Super Metroid. The years go by and it's still a thrill to go through it, every time.

Regarding more modern entries, I can't really pick just one, there are too many great games out there. Notable ones: RE4, Dishonored, Ori, Juarez: Gunslinger(I still believe this is one of Ubisoft greatests), Gunpoint, Revengeance, Hollow Knight, Sleeping Dogs, New Vegas, Titanfall 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Gorolt the Wywiad

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
What really makes me lose it in Soulsborne games is when I mess up and die to one of the mooks that's on the way to the boss.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
uuuuuugh

quote:

Game system contrivances have always sat uneasily inside Assassin's Creed's beautiful, authentic worlds. I'm used to futuristic UIs floating in front of dusty snapshots of ancient life, but there is a lot more game in Assassin's Creed: Origins, and more friction between the setting and your moment-to-moment behaviour. We left Assassin's Creed as an action series, now it emerges from its two-year hibernation as an RPG in The Witcher 3 mould, complete with levelling, skill trees, an extensive loot system, and crafting.

These elements have appeared in Assassin's Creed games before, but the way Origins gates your progress, using your level and the quality of your gear, is a fundamental change. Missions have level recommendations, and if you strive too far ahead of your level you will barely be able to damage basic enemies. To move between story missions you need to grind out side quests and kill wildlife to gain crafting components and upgrade your gear.

This is terrible, why would anyone do that, crib the worst aspects you could. Absolutely nobody ever praised Wild Hunt's level gates and crafting!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

In Training posted:

Bethesda has never made a good game. This is not debatable. Don't loving at me.

That's up to debate, but they sure all hell have been publishing some gems.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm always attitude for some Fellow Feeling

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I don't know if Automata is GOTY but Ending E has the Credits of the Year.

I thought dying again and again at the Square-Enix bit was going to be something to make me lose hope and give up and then my buddies come to my rescue :3: And the chorus begins singing too! What a great sequence.

And of course I'm going to help them back, who cares about some save data?

Weirdly enough, not even 10 minutes after finishing it I saw my neighboor having trouble moving an ancient huge rear end TV and thought "Oh right!" and went there to help him. Didn't get my memories deleted because of that tho.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 10, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Good news, Ys8 is getting a good translation

Lots of apologizing but no release date tho. Still expected to be somewhere this year.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Star Ocean: The Last Hope getting a PC/PS4 hd remaster

4K, HD, M+KB controls, Camera Mode, etc. No release date.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I thought they promised that if the the fifth game didn't do well that they would kill the series. It peaked with 2 and they've made increasingly baffling decisions since then.

I liked 3 but never finished it. Good times being the blond punchy guy.

Might get it for the PS4 some day if the series took such a nosedive.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

Foot armour with stiletto heels always makes me smirk

And to think that Bayonetta and Raiden could have ushered a new era of weaponized heels

The Colonel posted:

the most positive thing you can say about star ocean 4 is that it came out when tales games hadn't really made 3d combat fun yet

they kind of uh did that in the next game right after vesperia, but for a little moment there

It's been what, almost a decade, but at the time I thought the gameplay of Abyss was pretty good. Disliked almost everything else but that one thing they got right.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm a moron, I was having one hell of a hard time killing stronger machines in Horizon until I realized I was still using the starter bow with whatever upgrades I had on hand. One trip to the merchant and a purple bow later now I Am Become Death. Managed to clean the Corrupted Area with two Rockbreakers :D

nachos posted:

There are websites that sell loot boxes of random game keys. That's some next level poo poo.

I bought the Square Enix lootbox once...it was garbage. :(

Ended up giving almost all keys to other goons.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Want to finish Horizon's main story but I keep getting sidetracked by everything else in the game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm sure we can reach a compromise. Make it a monstrous spider. And add boobs.

Eight boobs.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/FeihcsiimNot/status/919245573735223296

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://i.imgur.com/IGF3fJ2.mp4

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
It's weird how many games that had long, troubled dev cycles actually got released in 2017. We've had Overgrowth, Hat in Time, Last Guardian, FFXV, Cuphead, Persona 5, Grimoire(Quality notwithstanding, it did come out), A Metroid game...

Good to see people's hard work actually paying off in the end, makes me less skeptic about announcements like Prime 4 or BG&E2.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Stexils posted:

i love really stupid weapons. what's the stupidest weapon a video game character uses?

everything from God Eater

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcscXItyc9Y

If you gather all the 16 limited editions pairs you get to make a wish.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Visceral's Star Wars game had exactly 14 seconds of footage shown at E3 2016 and nothing this year

I guess it got Scaleboun'd and they didn't have anything else to fall back on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
21 Jump Street starring Agent 47

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Did you guys preorder the exclusive Asscreed Origin shoes? Now it's time for the exclusive Asscreed Origins headphones and holy poo poo they're 60k Ubisoft is insane

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

an actual dog posted:

more games should have you kill god

Have you ever heard of this thing called "jrpg"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Want to finish Horizon's main story but I keep getting sidetracked by everything else in the game.

It wasn't over the weekend but I finally did it. Would've finished on sunday if my controller didn't need to be charged at the worst hour and I was busy yesterday. Great game overall, I might even replay it one day(With english voices) because taking robots apart was really fun. Also, once again, it's ridiculously pretty.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Rogue Legacy is pretty chill, as far as this genre goes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
While Arche has a loud sex dream next to them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Raxivace posted:

I love that Silent Hill gave Eddie some pizza.

It's a monster pizza.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Like those guys ever took "No" for an answer

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Anyone hear anything about the a WSJ story on Capcom today? Like how they've been doing financially for the past year or so?

It took me more than a couple of tries to parse out "Wall Street Journal" instead of "World Shonen Jump"...

And no, googling it just gives me articles from last month on RE7(Which was a commercial success, wasn't it?)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Hypo_Thermick/status/923304128264179714

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Contrary to what you might have heard you don't instantly die when you turn 30

Then what's the point

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/metalsocks240/status/924117044336971777

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

Rip Mario, didn't even make Top Sellers. Shameful tbh

(how the gently caress are people still buying GTAV)

GTAV still is in the Top 10 games sold this year.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Can you feed nazis to the pig?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't care what you say; the idea of an assassination game having enemy and equipment levels is absurd.

Everything is a RPG now, get with the times, grandpa

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

psychoJ posted:

spelunky man had a kid, grew a beard, and then he fuckin died

The natural progression of videogame protagonists

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/DobesCrusher/status/873645477622816769

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

November Games Chat: I won't be suckered into thinking LA Noire is good this time.

Doubtvember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I think it's a testament to my bad taste how much I am enjoying Arkham Knight. The Batmobile, The city, the Joker, the Sidequests, I'm having a blast. I won't 100% the Riddler stuff - which I never cared in any Arkham game - so I'm youtubing the true ending when I finish this, but everything else has been great.

The little sidequests are probably my favorite bit, I love how you fly or drive around finding more of them scattered around and help bring the city back to it's feet.

• Locked thread