Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

NPR Journalizard posted:

Part of the strip shut down in Vegas because of a dude with a machine gun

I just realised that 'refugee commits suicide' is to Australia what 'firearm massacre' is to the US - otherwise easily preventable tragedies that most mainstream political parties couldn't give a gently caress about fixing because imprisoned brown people/guns gets votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

gay picnic defence posted:

I saw a libtard on facebook claim that NZ was evidence that tighter gun laws are not a solution to mass shootings because they still have laws more or less the same as our pre-Port Arthur laws, yet their murder rate has fallen at the same rate as ours.

Anyone know if this is true? I suspect it isn't but it'd be handy to have some factual backing.

I have no stats for you, but he's partially right, the murder rate has dropped very steadily in most western nations for 2-3 decades.

Mass murders, on the other hand, do tend to drop sharply when people can't access auto/semiautomatics, at least without huge wait times, registrations, background checks, and expenses.

edit: Here's a thing! Looking at homicide and related offences since 1994, NZ's has actually held fairly steady, 110 a year being about average. Looks like 2012 and 2014 were pretty good years, at least, the last triple-digit year was '09.

double edit: NZ have had a couple of massacres since 1990; that one was the largest, the Aramoana massacre - the shooter there used semiautomatic rifles. After that a law was passed, significantly tightening gun laws; semiautomatics were still available but required an endorsement on top of the other procedures.

I can't tell from the massacre list where guns were involved, but it appears that NZ has experienced the same amount or more shootings than us since Port Arthur/Aramoana, even with a significantly smaller population.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 4, 2017

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Vic state, best state (for tenant's rights).

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Guadian Live Blog posted:

It looks like Peter Dutton’s controversial citizenship bill will be struck from the Senate notice paper this evening.

Last month, the Senate voted to give Dutton until today, 18 Wednesday, to bring his bill on for debate in the Senate because they were tired of him telling voters how crucial his bill was while simultaneously withholding it from the Senate so it couldn’t be debated.

His office has reached out to key members of the Nick Xenophon Team in the last few days to talk about making amendments to the bill, but it all seems too late.

It was the NXT that derailed Dutton’s attempt last month to enact his citizenship laws, saying they could not support the bill package in its current form.

It meant the government would have to either dump the package completely, or make substantial changes, to get the bill through parliament.

In yesterday’s Coalition party room meeting, Dutton told his colleagues that he would amend the citizenship package.

Guardian Australia has been told his office has been talking about reducing the English language test from level six (university standard) to level 5, and to amend the retrospective elements of the bill that have caused consternation.

But those amendments would still not be enough to persuade the NXT to come onboard.

The NXT has previously said the bill is “fundamentally flawed” and needs considerable redrafting.

One of their major complaints is that Dutton wants to give himself - and subsequent immigration ministers - the power to overrule decisions by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal on citizenship matters.

That aspect of the bill does not appear to have been part of recent discussions about amendments.

The Greens have not been contacted by Dutton’s office in the last week. They expect the bill will be struck from the Senate notice paper this evening.

suck a gently caress potatoman

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

HookShot posted:

Philosophy is the only academic subject that I objectively hate.

Not an emptyquote (I studied psych which for a lot of the time felt like 'philosophy, except you can loving apply it to people')

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Hey, I know it was discussed one or two threads ago, but I can't find that bit - what's currently the best retail union? I bailed out of the SDA about a month ago and should probably join another.

For reference: I'm in Victoria, work in a petrol station.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Cheers!

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Another prop for PCCG, I've bought all my pc parts from them for about eight years now (though only spent serious money for about five) and they've always been great. About two years ago I had my first parts failure (motherboard, about six hours in - don't buy MSI boards!), took it in, they did a quick test, said 'yeah it's hosed, here's a new one', that was it.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ahhhhhh, the classic 'accidentally saying what they all really think' fuckup. Even the church itself knows it won't play, great job going off-script!

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
NSW Nats director Nathan Quigley has announced he is quitting. If Joyce's seat goes to a by-eletion, it will be his last campaign.

https://twitter.com/annajhenderson/...tizenship-joyce

edit: one hour.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Antony Green on ABC24 :love::love:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU