Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
There's been a lot of heated debate lately about spiders and the controversy is unlikely to cool down any time soon. I figured i'd make a thread so we could consolidate all the discussion into one place.

Thread Rules
  • Keep it civil! BYOB is the chill relaxed forum. Posting things like "You're just angry that a spider stole your girlfriend" will get you a long probation.
  • No "splat" pictures. Seriously, I shouldn't even have to say this.
  • No mod sass! Yes most of the BYOB mods are pro-spider, but they are doing their best to be unbiased. If you have a problem with a moderation decision, post it in QCS and not here.
  • The no politics rule still applies! This discussion isn't about Trump or right-wing vs left wing. It's about spiders and whether they are good or bad.
  • Spiders don't have wings. The pro-spider posters are tired of disproving this over and over again. Go back to reddit if you want to talk about how spiders are swooping down and flying away with people's children.
  • :siren:Don't use Wikipedia as a source:siren: Hopefully this is only a temporary rule, but the wikipedia article on spiders is constantly getting edits from people with obvious biases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

groundfloor

Look I'm all for small house spiders for protection from invasive flying insects, but just show me one example when you actually need to have a big hairy spider. If the idea is to protect your house against flies, just stick with a simple spider!

Or just get a fly swatter, or pay a company to install fly cameras and a fly alarm system if you've got all that cash to spend on spiders.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
my relationship with spiders is pretty chill. i don't smash 'em on sight, and in return I expect that not too many of them will crawl in my mouth as I sleep.

works pretty well.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
One time, when I was living with a gay roommate, I went to go to the patio to smoke a bowl. When I opened the door this spider the size of my fist charged at the door. I screamed like a little girl. My roommate came to see what happen. I wiggled the door again and we both screamed like like girls and jumped into each other's arms. I lost the Rock paper scissors so I had to go around the house to flank the spider and burn it to death with a hairspray and lighter.

So yeah anti-spider here

vanisher

These spider collectors who throw all their money at rare exotic spiders are just asking for trouble if one gets into the wrong hands

Manifisto

little munchkin posted:

• Spiders don't have wings.

:rolleyes:

how can we have an unbiased discussion with ridiculous "rules" like this one??? wake up, sheeple! take the red pill!

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

little munchkin

Manifisto posted:

:rolleyes:

how can we have an unbiased discussion with ridiculous "rules" like this one??? wake up, sheeple! take the red pill!

the snopes article on that picture has been posted a million times already. maybe you trolls should find something new?

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 5, 2017

----------------

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
spiders are bad but that is why i like them, because i like things that are bad :twisted:

google THIS

It's actually pretty simple. The pro camp always talk about how spiders eat pests, but have you ever seen a spider eating itself?! A venomous animal that constructs elaborate webs in sometimes very inconvenient places, whose bite, depending on the species, can be medically significant to humans, just gets passed over by these so-called "pest" killers? It seems that not all pests are equal to our arachnid "friends."

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
good

</thread>

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
My friend who lives out in the country said he often used his spider swarm to catch flies for supper. I wonder if the tone of the spider discussion would change if every citizen of this country was guaranteed enough flies to eat.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

My friend who lives out in the country said he often used his spider swarm to catch flies for supper. I wonder if the tone of the spider discussion would change if every citizen of this country was guaranteed enough flies to eat.

not directly responsive to your point, but it really grinds my gears when people exploit their spider "pets" by teaching them "tricks". these are wild animals, not domesticated species!!1! when you force your spider to fetch, roll over, or speak--or, god forbid, ride a miniature unicycle back and forth along a string--it is uncomfortable and humiliating for the spider. our arachnid companions deserve better.

ty nesamdoom!

Piso Mojado

|
|
|
|
|
:spiderguy:

google THIS

this is a compelling argument

Piso Mojado

you accidently eat like 10 every night when you sleep. not sure if that is a pro or a con tbh, but its an important fact to consider

vanisher

Do I like spiders? Yes I do

Have I constructed a spider village in my empty guest bedroom where I have carefully built spider houses, schools, and hospitals? Yes I have

Do I demand 'tribute' from the village in the form of nightly spider sacrifices into my mouth while I sleep? Yes I do

little munchkin
there's a lot of things that science still doesn't understand when it comes to spiders. tbqh i think we need more information before when can truly know whether spiders are good or bad

----------------

little munchkin

Piso Mojado posted:

you accidently eat like 10 every night when you sleep. not sure if that is a pro or a con tbh, but its an important fact to consider

thank you.

----------------

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

had a nightmare once that there was another kind of spider that was even worse than a regular ol spider, it had eight legs, two big claws, a big honkin stinger, and a little saddle on top. it would skitter around and occasionally bark. this thing was defffffinitely bad. by comparison the spider is very good. glad that thing only exists in my dreams.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Before the Montgolfier brothers invented the hot air balloon they had to watch a spider do a little ballooning first, so don't forget about that. I mean, what did they call ballooning before they invented the hot air balloon? "thing the spider does when they want to spread themselves everywhere and creep you out by getting tangled in your hair, or is that bats?" which as you can see is a real tongue-twister and potential lingual liability or whatever.

also:

"spider good fire bad!"

-Frankenstein's person comprised of other personages*

*formerly "monster"

Manifisto

spiders bad if you like bacon, pork chops, prosciutto, etc

ty nesamdoom!

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
There are spiders in my Whopper and I...really like it?

----------------

Macnult

good: eating spider accidentally

bad" eating the spiders on purpose?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
[quote="little munchkin" post=""477056752”"]

Thread Rules
  • No "splat" pictures. Seriously, I shouldn't even have to say this.
[/quote]

:(

Zeroisanumber

I think they're good, but Hamilton thinks they're bad and he kills & eats them whenever they show up in the apartment. So I get to be woke about spider rights while my cat murders them. Living the American Dream.

----------------

Sprue

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
"spider" squishing is a real everyday reality for arachnids. as people, we are doing no service to arachnids by keeping images of squishes censored. there is clearly a problem in arachnidplotation films such as Spiders 3D and Eight Legged Freaks and how they depict arachnid squishing. so called "spider splats" should not be used for human entertainment, it is grossly insensitive. yet images of such events should not be scrubbed from the internet and banned in media. turning a blind eye to the problem does not do arachnids any favor.

DELETED IMAGE OF FAKE DECEASED ARACHNID

it is images like this that glorify arachnid pain and suffering that should not be shown in pulp movies.

DELETED IMAGE OF DECEASED ARACHNID

THIS is what a real arachnid squishing looks like. deal with it.

Sprue fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 9, 2017

Manifisto

would you like to know more?

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit
Here's the thing about spiders. You look at them and you think "aahhh! they're bad!" but then you think, maybe that's what's so beautiful about them? that they make you think that?

Maybe it's good to have something scare you with badness. Keeps you honest.

Then they'r e crawling all over you and you're like "this isn't good...but maybe that makes it really good, because God tests those whom he loves, perhaps with spiders?" and as they wrap you in a cocoon you have to admit "it's pretty impressive that they can catch a creature many times their size. that's something good about them..but also bad, because i'm going to die"

but then again, is death really bad? Only if it's painful, which is will be, if spiders are involved. But thats not really the spider's fault. That's God's fault.

Then again when you meet your maker youw ill be able to ask him "Hey God, so what was up with the spiders. Level with me, guy. Good or bad? Gotta know, on the spider front, whether I was sharing the planet with good animals or bad animals." I bet He tells you. but even if he doesn't, tyou'll know one thing for sure: spiders are definitely good OR bad.

----------------

kalel

Spiders are fuckin cool as poo poo!!!!

cda

by Hand Knit

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Spiders are fuckin cool as poo poo!!!!

Is poo poo good, or bad

Robot Made of Meat

Not everyone thinks spiders are good, but I think spiders are more often good than not good.

Robot Made of Meat fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 13, 2017

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

google THIS

that weird commercial where the floating perfume bottle says "cervical cancer" on the side except it says "spider squishing" instead

Fredflonston

cda posted:

Maybe it's good to have something scare you with badness. Keeps you honest.

google THIS

Spiders: So bad they're good? So good on account of being bad that they're bad after all? How deep does the trapdoor spider hole go?

ZogrimAteMyHamster

Spiders are cool. They eat flies, and chill out in corners away from me and my own food. Let 'em live, they're not the bad guys. Except for the nasty lethally venomous bastards. They're just spiteful cunts. loving kill them immediately.

kalel

cda posted:

Is poo poo good, or bad

I realize this was an ambiguous statement, to clarify I meant "cool as poo poo" in the metaphorical sense, not the literal sense. i.e. they are not akin to feces, which is uncool, but rather spiders are among the top-tier of cool things, like fighter jets and chocolate milkshakes.

I hope this elucidated the matter, thank you. Also gently caress mosquitoes

Robot Made of Meat

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I hope this elucidated the matter, thank you. Also gently caress mosquitoes

:ughh:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

sb hermit

Spiders are fine unless I’m expecting guests.

Then, they have to vamoose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Could we not have actual pictures of dead animals in BYOB? If nothing else, it violates Rule #3. Thanks.

Sprue is a known troll with a history of pretending to be a spider or spider ally in an attempt to get away with making problematic posts. You can read their callout thread in The Arachnid Academy for more details.

----------------

• Locked thread