Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
you're not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PleasureKevin posted:

because every social platform follows nearly the exact same design as every platform before it. history shows if you add a comment section, racist rants will take over. if you add private messages, people will get sexually harassed and threatened. if you add photo upload, you'll get dick pics, etc.

companies don't look at this and see "oh jeez that's proven to be a toxic formula", they see "that's proven to uh 'drive engagement'". or they're just extremely lazy and love to copy what so-and-so did.

okcupid seems to have finally woken up to this and made changes. now, men's messages don't go to women's inboxes, they only show up if you indicate you like each other, or they view your profile. you must also now share your first name. it's lead to a 67% decrease in messages flagged as offensive.

there are some really awful plans too. Twitter has handed over almost complete moderation power to celebrities, and will block anyone who isn't civil, while keeping around folks who openly want genocide, as long as they don't swear. Facebook seems to be trying to ban non-centrist news because pundits are blaming them for Trump. reddit seems to be turning a blind-eye to an extreme amount of astro-turfing. chris poole from 4chan just bailed lol.

good post PK

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bulgakov posted:

windows mobile 6.5

:barf:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

it was janky garbage and dollars to donuts some prerequisite library can't be found/installed any more

gdi++ lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

someone ask the nontechnical women and children

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rip lunix archduke, died to death of windows phone

Schadenboner posted:

Do people seriously use Windows 10?

:aaaaa:

it's not a good os

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Partycat posted:

I re-installed Windows 10, because it opened a box from itself saying my disk wasn’t compatible with Windows 10.

So I installed from a USB and it has hosed up and put the bootloader on the USB somehow. The computer won’t boot unless I select the USB from the boot menu but then my installed copy of Windows starts instead of the recovery.

I have no idea and have not been able to fix this with any amount of BCD or bootrec or anything.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

check out what ur missing on the build live stream:

i'm glad she got a new job

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
that was mean, im sorry

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

lol you werent kidding about the nervous laughter

yeeeesh

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

forever cursed

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ces 2013 was nothing but garbage tablets and ""journalists"" falling over themselves posting 'is this the ipad killer ???'

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
reminder that the motorola xyboard won best of show with the only instance of the product powered off and under glass

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

the tablet motorola did actually release came with a custom sim-sized die cut piece of plastic in the sim tray with a warning that cell functionality didn't work yet and you could permanently brick the tablet if you tried

efb

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

upper management was all "were still on track to ship by end of quarter and get our milestone bonuses right? right?!?"

qirex_6_figures_and_bonus_while_failing.textsnippet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Significant Ant posted:

can we talk about the latest Windows 10 update because lol

i love how it interacts with endpoint

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
win 10 is bad and the ui is atrocious

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol when did so.cl get shut down

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
wonder if satya is gonna make a statement today

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

this costs eighty dollars

crapple tax

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

thats a cute av

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

oh, what's this, text from an html source? let me just grab the entire formatting of the source page to go with that

:smug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
socl is long long gone and idk even what it was or was supposed to be

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i think it was supposed to be a pinterest clone

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

LastInLine posted:

like maybe im an idiot but arent thermometers p. much solved technology at this point? how does this happen?

buying cheap sensor systems

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Potato Salad posted:

It's startling how many xXEnterpriZe_Gr4deXx environment sensors either sold with their own controllers or through big vendors like APC are actually small mom/pop shops that barely even understand ac circuits.

right ?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
theres a 0day out today or smth

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
thats from 2016

prolly still relevant

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

cjs: I had to call Microsoft by phone to activate a windows xp VM, and they still support doing that lol

yep

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

univbee posted:

it fully looks like adobe just decided to release all those apps for free for everybody

ppc :argh:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

at which point you should probably not be using excel for your database

it's amazing how frequently i have this conversation, usually when they're starting to look at xeons with 64gb of ram to run a spreadsheet

seriously

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hobbesmaster posted:

what do you have in mind that is as easy to use as an excel spreadsheet

put your salary payment schedule and whatever in a version of filemaker from last decade imo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

we had a manufacturing client looking at using filemaker for their production process system

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i guess there was a big slurface event today ?

lol

e: efb

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
mods rename this to microshaft janitoring liveblog thread

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
jesus christ, are surface keyboard flaps not compatible with all surfaces??

lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the only way to get an exchange server running 2012r2 to update reliably is to disable all exchange services, run the updates, reboot, re-enable exchange services, and reboot again.

you cant install sharepoint on 2012r2, you have to install it on an unpatched fresh 2012 then do the r2 upgrade afterward

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lambert posted:

Microsoft's best hardware to date

100%

mine is 19 years old. i have three others in a drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts