Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Microsoft azure fun and games: if you don’t have access rights to create vms or compute instances but do have access to azure data bricks it will do fun stuff like

create a resource group for you (even though you can’t create resource groups normally). you also can’t view this new resource group since you don’t have the necessary permissions :v:

populate said group with vms also even you normally can’t create them in the data brick parent resource group

all to the low low tune of $1.5 (per minute if not in use)

i recently found out much to my confusion that IAM roles which delegate contributor for specific components (e.g. Data Factory) do not delegate permissions to register the required resource provider. so if you delegate these kinda perms someone with the subscription-level Contributor role needs to register the providers first otherwise your users cant do poo poo. kinda obtuse imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

nb: eric lundgren is a bullshitter

this is incredible but i wonder how lundgren pulled that sweet PR campaign that got him looking as the poor underdog victim? it can't have been his own doing because based on those e-mails he sounds like an actual idiot. maybe the media just leaned in on it way too hard?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Maximum Leader posted:

almost, if only he was erik instead of eric.

also, ill be the recycle bin file paths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tech boggers

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol naderite that sounds exceptionally stupid and i don't want to know what it means

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

everyone needs to click through to this, this is bitcoiner level "mycrimes.pdf"

the email on page 18-19 is amazing for example

if you just want to read hosed up e-mails this search is good: https://www.google.com/search?newwi.....0.XdepOr-4gzM

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

why the gently caress do my win server 2016 core machines want to install a silverlight update via windows update which obviously wont install and breaks automatic updating because it keeps getting hung up on it?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

this is in my home lab/network. no wsus just going straight to windows update

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if VS code could replicate the exact syntax highlighting that powershell ISE uses then i'd switch in a heartbeat. i'm not even sure if it's possible because ISE does some magic to highlight cmdlets properly as well as things like expression expansion inside quoted strings

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pram posted:

powershell lol

if you're touching microsofts and don't know it then :rip:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm really enjoying the eternal struggle between microsoft and intel where every time (and i mean EVERY time) microsoft release a major win10 update the NIC teaming functionality in intel ANS breaks. usually intel releases a new version 1-2 weeks later which fixed it but holy gently caress, intel and/or microsoft must be seriously loving something up in the OS networking space because it has broken like clock-work 5-6 times now

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

graph posted:

forever cursed

what why? im doing straight dope 802.3ad LACP to a properly configured cisco catalyst, everything perfect and when it works it works great.

wait unless you mean "teaming on windows is cursed" then yeah mega agreedo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

For like... 5 years straight Windows was unable to support LACP and tagged vlans at the same time

what natively or like, at all? doesn't bother me as i just tag on the switch.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Its kinda a pisser if you are mounting storage and lan fabrics on a converged/blade platform. Also made Hyper-V implementations suck rear end

the lack of native support in the OS is really the main issue imo. because of this each hardware vendor has provided the functionality via their drivers and ofc they did a really poo poo job of it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I got it for free from work while my good and proper mbp early 2015 is getting fixed, so it’s probably whatever they had spare at the time

lol that makes it even worse.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's funny and immensely annoying that microsoft just do not give a single gently caress about any of your settings and whenever you install a win10 update (or whatever the creator/spring updates are called) they get reset to defaults. couple examples:

• startup configuration for windows services: i dont have a printer so i disable the print spooler service. however sure enough whenever i install an update it's set back to automatic.
  • defrag schedule: this one is a far bigger PITA. i've got several iSCSI LUNs mounted on my machine and as such i disable the scheduled defrag for the volumes. however whenever i install a new update scheduled defrag is just re-enabled for all volumes.

there's probably more examples however those are the only ones i remember. imo the reason this poo poo happens is because microsoft are lazy assholes and don't want to test regression and poo poo for different configurations so they just reset your settings to default

this garbage aside, i've never seen a single ad on my machine once however im not sure if that's because ive got pro or if i changed some setting (or both)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lambert posted:

Plenty of ads even with Pro. After a fresh install, the start menu is littered with ads for apps and Cortana will bug you regularly to entice you to use it (or connect Spotify to Cortana). And Explorer will bug you about upgrading to a paid OneDrive storage plan if you use it. The lock screen will present ads for new games.

yeah idk i guess i musta opted out or something because i have never seen a single ad ever. however turns out i havent actually upgraded to 1803 yet so brb

edit: ok yeah still nothing. im using full-screen start menu if that matters? otherwise i guess you're doing it wrong

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 1, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Do you have a suggested app in your start menu? That's an ad

ive never seen any suggested apps in my start menu.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

full screen start menu owns. nice big buttons so you can launch your poo poo, just pin your poo poo and then you can slap winkey and click your app.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Is it actually starting the defrag job? I've never seen Windows attempt to defrag remote storage or VMDKs. Are you mounting through the NIC?

doesn't really matter. the "right-click, properties -> tools -> optimise" dialog lists defrag schedules based on querying the task scheduler. they're one in the same. and yeah, the jobs launch defrag against the target volume

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chalks posted:

Although since most windows installations aren't cross locale multi user, "settable separately" does not mean "always has to be configured in multiple places" for any reason besides bad design.

have you used windows at all? upon install language and regional settings are set at the system level and for single user systems that is perfectly fine. however options are available to configure language and regional settings per user if the need arises but if it doesn't then you don't care.

i'm getting deja vu here were you the same idiot that complained about powershell execution policy?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

office 365 is loving garbage like holy poo poo

office 365 is better than having to janitor on-prem exchange/sharepoint/skype. also you don't have to worry about storage because they give you stupid amounts (enterprise e3 gives you a 100GB exchange mailbox plus unlimited archive mailbox). however if your clients don't have office 2013 minimum then yeah it's hosed (it works and is supported but no modern auth support is just an extremely huge pain in the rear end).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I don't give a gently caress about cjing some exchange server or claude storage, I'm talking end user experience. perfectly good outlook features are gone, excel runs like poo poo on the same files I was using perfectly fine 2 weeks ago before I got upgraded etc.

sounds like you hosed up, those outlook features are client side and your document is also client side. are you maybe conflating o365 with office 2016 or something?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

not hot enough

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OldAlias posted:

broken Windows theory

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I ran some massive powershell script then uninstalled every smart tile and windows app I could. The only ad I've seen is the warning that I've got a perfectly cromulent browser already installed when looking for chrome.

lmao that script is loving garbage. it's incredibly poorly written and structured in a way that makes it extremely obtuse. the script proper has no named parameters defined in a Param() block and instead loops through $args and then does dumb poo poo. this is so stupid i'm actually mad.

also many of the settings it changes are dubious whilst others are really more personal preference stuff and only applicable to the neckbeard which wrote it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i installed the latest update just earlier and apart from taking a comical amount of time to actually install (better part of an hour for the pre-reboot background installation and then a good 15 minutes post-reboot) it's more of the same really. the usual settings got nuked (only one i remember is scheduled defrag config) and my intel NIC teaming completely broke but that always happens and usually gets fixed when intel release new software (i'm sure the blame is split 50-50 between microsoft and those shiftless fucks at intel for the debacle that is teaming/VLANs with intel NICs on win10).

i kinda like the idea of your phone, being able to access my photos without mucking around would be noice but lol it's not working

oh and cinci mushroom dingus or whatever it really sounds like you hosed something up lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sound control panel communications settings reset, audio settings in uwp menu changed, much like microphone privacy settings

decided to check this, my sound device settings came across completely unmolested.

ymmv with this update i guess

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just had a BSOD, gonna quote my lovely twitter because i'm lazy:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1047519776795316225

haven't had a BSOD in a long time so kinda suspicious but w/e lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i know, but which ones!?!?! it's all of them isn't it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SRQ posted:

windows 10 has a bug where on a specific system i used, when i used a program to write an image to a 3.5 inch floppy for an old computer

it overwrote the GPT partition tables with the floppy image, and i was very confused when i rebooted to ms dos 6 on my haswell machine

now, this is easily solvable, as the GPT table is backed up to the end of the drive. Windows however has absolutely no utility to fix this, but linux can very easily.

so that's the FIRST windows 10 issue I've had.

the second is that it twice became unable to recognize any USB devices and required a reinstall

lmfao wth

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anyone here know how to switch windows server 2016 from Long-Term Servicing Channel to Semi-Annual Channel? i've just discovered the servers in my home lab are on the latter and i want the latest+greatest but nothing i've read about this channel bs makes sense

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

don't do this to yourself

dsyp

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i think i worked it out anyway: basically i'm hosed and if i want to get onto the semi-annual channel i have to deploy new 1803 servers. good job microsoft you interminable fucks!!!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

today i noticed that there's no "Caps lock is on" message for the Bitlocker password entry dialogue, not sure if this is a change in 1809 or whether i just never noticed it. this is a pita because consumer wireless keyboards these days don't have any indicator LEDs on them at all

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

it's a pain in the rear end that there is a gui indicator that common hardware lacks?

no i'm saying it isn't there. learn to read

flakeloaf posted:

treesize pro is the cat's bananas and i use it daily

yeah but are you paying for it? lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if you're in the infrastructure space above sharepoint then sharepoint online in o365 is a loving godsend. gently caress janitoring sharepoint servers.

ofc if you're in the developer space inside sharepoint then you're still hosed.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

does mongodb still have no password by default? can't stop thinking bout all those public instances listening on 0.0.0.0 with no password :allears:

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

windows server 1809 (semi-annual channel) is available in visual studio subscriptions (MSDN) but the provided product key doesn't work. it lists the same key as for 1803 which is what you'd kinda expect but apparently it's a "server 2016" key and 1809 is "server 2019" so it doesn't work.

basically microsoft hosed up pivoting to this new service channel arrangement much like everything else they've done in recent memory