Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

are there any other haunted threads or is it just that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

:lol: that metro is now only used on platforms it doesn't belong on

hahahahaha

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qirex posted:

unofficial microsoft pr company the verge has a sloppy drunk love letter about how win pho was a "glorious failure" that just happens to gloss over the fact that it was half baked when it came out and basically blames google for not making a youtube app and not, say, the three different sets of dev tools and architecture three times in four years with no upgrade path for devices effectively punishing all their early adopters

this has got me thinking. what's the oldest iPhone app that's still supported in the App Store?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

afaict until ios 11 they had never broken compatibility

not just by apple but by the developer as well. so i guess yeah- now in ios11 what's the oldest app that's been upgraded to 64bit

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well the lack of needed support from developers is kind of important

microsoft abandoned two platforms in three years. meanwhile iOS apps written in 2008 work without modification or recompilation on iOS 10.x devices

that's a major reason iOS is a dominant platform with decade long support histories for individual apps, and winphone is a footnote in history

yeah I know I'm just curious for exactly that reason: it highlights the stark contrast in support between the two platforms. like that old chart that compared iOS vs android and how long each phone was able to remain on the most up to date OS. I think whoever made that chart gave up on refreshing it only halfway into the 4s's life

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bobby Digital posted:

thanks windows

thindows

I hate the word 'restarted'

every time i ever type it it just feels wrong

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TjyvTompa posted:

there's this free software (it's free software) that helps you manage all the different settings hidden behind the registry and it's been updated for the fall update, it is called O&O ShutUp 10 and it's really good: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

:c00l:

didn't we already run you out for promoting shady registry hacks or was that some other moron

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah ten is fine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

didn't they outright say in their reveal that if you had an evil twin you shouldn't use face id?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

evils twin

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

holy poo poo microsoft how hard is it to not crash just because i connected bluetooth headphones

what the hell. like win10 is consistently destabilizing and eventually crashing any time I attach these bt headphones. this is ridiculous

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

pram posted:

im'a computa. stop usin microsoft products! help computa

idk much about computas other than the one my mom got she put a couple office suite apps on it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i was just telling a friend today about how microsoft cut all their qa guys and while i was googling articles i came across this: https://www.networkworld.com/article/2453929/microsoft-subnet/would-microsoft-really-cut-its-qa-department.html

quote:

Opinion
Would Microsoft really cut its QA department?
Bloomberg says Microsoft’s quality assurance team might be the target of cuts, but that borders on the unthinkable.

lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PleasureKevin posted:

he’s not kidding

:pwn:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gazpacho posted:

> In what is likely to be hailed as a landmark of the computer industry,
> Richard Stallman, of the Free Software Foundation, and Bill Gates,
> of Microsoft, announced that they would be concluding a merger within
> a year, setting a target date of April 1st, 1997.
>
> "It's all been a horrible misunderstanding", says Stallman, a long time
> advocate of free software.
>
> "It's really just a semantic thing", says Gates. "We call software free
> when the vendor has to bundle it with the machine and swallow the expense,
> or they don't get sales. Stallman calls it free when the vendor can't
> bundle it with the machine and pass the expenses on to you. It really
> comes down to the same thing, and that's market share."
>
> The first visible products of this merger will be "Hurd '97", to be released
> by 3Q1998, and "Hello '96", which will be a replacement product for
> Windows For Workgroups. Gates comments, "the mail reader is brilliant;
> I wish we'd had these people with us all along."
>
> The two met inside Westminster Cathedral, where they embraced, and
> called each other "anathema", the Latin for "brother".

it's 2018 and satire is impossible

die young or live long enough to become the villain

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my only problem with ten is all the features taking up real estate that are meant for tablets. it's annoying but not that big of a deal really and i don't notice it anymore

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

SupSuper posted:

There are people still maintaining Windows 98 so you know the answer.

if we still had sane copyright laws windows 98 would be open source now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

you gotta admire the hustle these guys have. that was fast

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

infernal machines posted:

ahahaha. microsoft really is the new ibm

f

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my current client has two of those gigantic surface tablets that you can cast your computer too and they're actually.... not half bad? i've written off 'smart' boards since forever and this feels like the first iteration that's actually worth half a poo poo

when i mentioned this to the client they laughed and told me how much it cost them :stare:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Chris Knight posted:

lol i just noticed they changed outlook to blue so that it now looks like word

way to go fuckers

its probably every other day that i gently caress this up and keep clicking the wrong icon wondering why my drat email/document won’t come up

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

this is the second time in as many months that windows mail has just straight up deleted all of my mail accounts with no warning. how the is something so simple beyond a company like microsoft?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

google accounts or something else? they pushed a bunch of big updates to O365 this month that re-worked how gmail auth worked, no more imap with single-use app passwords

google and icloud both. it's not the first time this has happened either.

i'm just going back to using both of their web portals in a pinned tab. gently caress it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

Honest question: why the gently caress are you using a mail client? What's your use-case for which this is the best solution?

i installed win10 and felt like giving it a try because maybe it wouldn't be garbage this time

welp!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

to be honest the warning sign should have been how it whined about how it didn't have access to my contacts, calendar, and everything else besides my mail every time i opened it with no 'no you can't have access to it and stop asking me' option

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Krankenstyle posted:

delete your entire ~/Library and try again holding it correctly

(but seriously it sounds like your prefs are corrupted)

yeah my point is this isn't the first time that this has happened and, in fact, happens somewhat frequently

so no. i'm not going to rebuild it every month when i can just use the webapps like schmidt and timb intended

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i won’t go so far to say win10 is bad but it’s certainly annoying me much more than win7 ever did

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

Seriously: why would this be checked by default?

how's larry supposed to afford his second private hawaiian island if that checkbox isn't marked, comrade?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i was wondering why the client's dev instance was running like hogshit today

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i'm just making sure i'm not crazy: it shouldn't be difficult to modify a group policy such that someone's machine is capable of running commands longer than 250ish characters, right? i'm asking this client to change their policy and they're acting like it's some insane unprecedented ask and i'm kind of blown away that they're making such a big deal about this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

you mean long paths? because commands are limited to 8k characters

but yeah, long paths is a single gpo. maybe they just don't want to validate against it

command line input i think is still limited to 256 chars for them. it's not an issue of them validating against it they're straight up saying it's impossible

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

or their admins are morons and don't know how to use group policy

literally the convo we had today after finally getting them on the phone after two months of trying to get them to fix their poo poo

them: well we modified the policy on $techlead's machine and he says it still isn't working

(i know that $techlead is a loving moron and has made no attempt at getting anything to work on his machine)

me: well we're looking at $intern's screen. did you modify the policy for him?

*silence*

me: $techlead can you share your screen and try to run the deployment script?

techlead: no let's try to get it working on $intern's machine

helpdesk: what you're asking for is unnatural behavior that doesn't come out of the box with windows. this is a microsoft setting and changing the registry means we're changing the behavior of the system.

me: yes that's what the registry is for i don't understand the problem

helpdesk: the article you gave us is just some guy on a forum saying things that isn't verified by microsoft. i'm looking at a microsoft article that says input is limited to 256 chars by default. that's the behavior they've defined. you'll need to talk to microsoft to have this fixed

me: :what:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Shaggar posted:

just enable long path support in your application's manifest.

application itself is fine. the issue is the .bat script to get everything deployed and up and running is longer than 256 chars and they're refusing to enable longpath in the registry

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Shaggar posted:

why are the paths so long?

it's only slightly over 260 characters. if they condense some of the folders down to abbreviations it works fine. the issue is that they're just going to run into this problem again when either additional arguments are added to the launcher or someone new comes on and uses a different folder structure or whatever.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

... instead of enabling the GPO? gently caress, they can just set a local policy if they're afeard of taking down their network or something

Fiedler posted:

... write launcher2.bat with the correct arguments.

i'm not a windows guy i have no idea what this stuff means

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

anthonypants posted:

are you saying that the [bash script] file's path is >260 characters? or are you saying that the [bash script] file path plus arguments is >260 characters?

if the latter, write [launcher2.sh] with the correct arguments.

the file path is definitely less than 260 characters. it's that plus the arguments inside it are greater than 260

i have no clue what you mean by that launcher2 stuff

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

alright the intern ran the scripts both with powershell and also after enabling 'enable win32 long paths' and is still getting the same error so i have no idea what the gently caress is wrong with their computers

no other customers have had this issue

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i don't care anymore they can use bullshit folder names or figure it out on their own. i've never had to cj for a customer before this is stupid af

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ugh it's not our deployer it's a series of jobs that kick off other ingestion/harmonization jobs written in java that then communicate with our product

we use gradle for actual deployments/configuration which is working fine for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

literally all these things are are just calling these little lovely java classes that we wrote to interface with their other databases along with passing in things like 'here's the config file'

that's it

and for some reason their bullshit laptops just can't handle it