Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

OldAlias posted:

no, rooted in Marxism. if you don't understand the nature of international aid and how it is never unconditional then lol. USAID explicitly speaks of this in discussion papers, of aids leverage role and how it can be used to exert influence over policy. what do you think the states' / imf / world banks historical activity in Latin America was about, the goodness of their hearts?

Marxrosoft thread, but it's only haunted by the ghost of capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

a tonne of Meat Sports features and partnerships. like this was the moment in gaming the Digital Prophets foretold of and Microsoft was reverting to American football

this gives me pleasure, kevin

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

it’s space cadet pinball op

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

discord is good overall but some weird things happen like the functionality in scrolling and searching is super broken. say you want to find an image someone posted so you search for it. well for some reason you can’t right click on the results you have to jump to the chat, copy, jump back.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the biggest problem with software systems is not how complicated they are, but how simple they seem to be

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

one fewer bit, much leaner

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

might as well ask here since it just came up and ive been wondering about it

what is it about computer touchers in particular that make them so allergic to changes?

like i get that nobody likes changes in general and it gets worse as you get older (and figure out that most change isnt for the better) but it seems really acute with computer people. whether its going out of your way to stay on a decade old os or deciding youre going to organize your music by folder structure and use foobar instead of being normal it seems like its always computer people fighting the future full bore dying on hills that simply make no sense at all

i mean i get that some things change for the worse but some things change for the better and usually that thing you think is worse isnt really worse its just different

a u t i s m

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/01/microsoft--github-acquisition-talks-resume.html

better than google imo

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Well it is certainly happening https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

pram posted:

does anyone on earth use any of this poo poo

my old place used yammer for a while. it was 100% only used for irony. also we lolled at the yamjam a lot im glad yospos surfaced it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Mac OS only has one settings program far behind Microsoft’s several and lagging Linux so laughably badly its not even funny

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

I think Sharepoint is like mumps: the later in life you catch it the worse it goes for you?

:shrug:

yeah, and also the disease

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

carry on then posted:

it's software for people who want to give off the impression of being a power user while also having appalling design sense

redundant

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

guy I worked with once set his Mac default beep to the "oooh wah ah ah ah" bit from Down With The Sickness

another good one would be shrek saying DONKEH but I’m far too much of a coward to do that and I say this as someone who set his TravisCI to use comic sans

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Lambert posted:

So use your regular account instead of your additional brand account?

what an insane sentence, especially with a tone of calling someone stupid

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

shaggar is right that electron is awful and chromium is a disease though

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

everybody knows it means "lord of lies"

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

the rn borrowed from the polish navy?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

blue sea of death

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

really submarines should run on assembly (underneath the c)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

and of course it should run windows otherwise it couldn't handle .wavs

spaceships are ok on linux tho

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

there's also this good little feller https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1618906 which is biting me right now and has had 0 maintainer response since its first report a year ago

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Last Chance posted:

why not

Bing X

or

XBing

or

Xbox Search

?

Xbox Bing Search by Microsoft

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

2021: Linux on the desktop, Free Software Iraq War

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

there's some that have it but in a kind of roundabout way. like i think in zoom if you're muted you can hold space to unmute while it's being held down or something. but it's not like a global ptt hotkey like in something like discord or mumble

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

what i the macbook pro has a buttery keyboard
you know, the one where etters stop working

ow about the failureeeee mode where sme buttns stp wrking but sme dubler tripleeeeeeee count

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

taco_fox posted:

Figures that a vi lover would find typing something up to be so arduous that they instead wrote it on a piece of paper

they typed it all up from muscle memory and realized after the fact they were in command mode lol. Just a bit of #programmer #humor for you! like and share!

also emacs with evil-mode is a better vim than vim

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Eclipse is mission critical in Italy, since both the finance and custom ministries use a modded eclipse as a framework for paperwork filling for citizens. It’s a definite improvement from the previous thousand Java webstart apps that worked once every ten attempts.

wait what? like you file taxes by downloading some custom eclipse thing that has a bunch of forms to fill in? or is it more for businesses and poo poo? that is bizarre, what is that called?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.agenziaentrate.gov.it/portale/Servizi/ServiziTrasversali/Altri/DesktopTelematico/

every form you need to compile that is not the precalculated forms(which are provided in a tablet friendly html5 site), ranging from individual citizen to huge firm, is a eclipse plugin which add the form and the verification formulas.

it was a multimillion euro system upgrade from the previous entratel platform which was a hodgepodge of bad code running exclusively on windows, no public servant got involved in the design choices that led to eclipse used as framework beside kickbacks

that's pretty cool! weird (as an american) to see a government occasionally wanting to make little things like forms better for the people who use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Khorne posted:

I've only encountered easy to parse commands. The main issue I've had is I have no idea how the windows wizard who posted the command knew it existed. Powershell seems so oddly detached from windows despite being pretty powerful.

yeah I mean it’s just one of those things where based on experience you can say
- well all windows poo poo probably lives in the registry somewhere, so I can google where
- well powershell is supposed to be the combination of language and library that lets you control windows things therefore it probably has a way to edit the registry because see above, so I can google what it is

but that means you need to know those facts which is not exactly spread far and wide.