Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ah, I misremembered then. I do recall thinking the entire scene didn't make a lot of sense, but I still really liked the forest bandit trip portion of the book. It might be my favorite part of the book actually. Well, that and the two paragraphs of angry smartass tree.

That's weird I really had to power through that section and then he meets a literal fairy and things get much too silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was pretty stoked at 16 when I would last through an entire Nine Inch Nail song. Kvothe hosed the tits off a sex goddess and then wrote a song about it. This makes me feel like maybe I haven't lived my best life.

He had his sexual awakening with death sex god of the fae but then went back to being completely incompetent with denna so not sure how much you should read into it

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 2, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm impressed how greasy and bedraggled his beard looked even in an idealized comic depiction

mewse
May 2, 2006

Doctor Faustine posted:

What has me curious is why Denna wasn't included in this comic.

Too straight

mewse
May 2, 2006

incredible flesh posted:

spit-roasting rothfuss and grrm over an open fire and then serving them bite by bite to their screamingly tumescent fans

Would I have to endure a comic about how spit roasting isn't something to be ashamed of

mewse
May 2, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I shoved it too far up my rear end for it come out

You should see a doctor

mewse
May 2, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

I imagine his publisher has been begging him to let them use a ghost writer for years. The last shred of Patrick's self worth slips away as he hears through the phone, "Brandon is very easy to work with, you know."

brandon wouldn't ghostwrite tho :laugh:

"due to the death of all patrick rothfuss's ambition, brandon sanderson has been hired to finish the kingkiller chronicle"

mewse
May 2, 2006

“The truth was, I’d been focusing all my energy on Name of the Wind for years while book two just sat their gathering dust.” — NYT best selling author

mewse
May 2, 2006

BananaNutkins posted:

The plot being wrapped up is pretty easy because we just need to see how things went sour and the faerie beasts got loosed on the world, Kvothe has to kill a king, and a couple other dumb things sewn up. It will end with Kvothe returning to awesomeness, now even awesomer that he's had to eat crow.

All of this could be wrapped up in 100,000 words. The problem is if he wrote it that way it would be inconsistent with the plodding pace of the other books. It needs at least 3 threads that have nothing to do with anything, school/debt problems, banging lots of maidens and saying you're welcome, and lots of lunch room talk.

You forgot not banging Denna

mewse
May 2, 2006

HIJK posted:

I have to admit I’m a little impressed at how committed Rothfuss is to not writing. GRRM is still the master though.

I love that his response to “when’s the next book coming out” is to get huffy and go “STOP ASKING MEEE”

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, in the ASoIaF thread we usually talk about Rupaul's Drag Race.

Is that show similar to GoT?

mewse
May 2, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Sounds like boring baby poo poo to me. Take me to the Total Recall bar.

:agreed:

mewse
May 2, 2006

“I never talk about deadlines anymore. I say, ‘When it’s ready I will bring it to you,’ and until then, trust that I am working,”

Lol good thing I don't have to trust him

mewse
May 2, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing with The Name of the Wind and Rothfuss's writing is that it's so incredibly boring I couldn't be bothered to finish it. All of y'alls who are reading it ironically or whatever must have way more free time than I do and are desperate to fill it with anything.

As someone who read both books my mistake was thinking the books were going somewhere and that the writer hadn’t derailed his own career

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's Deanna

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reene posted:

I will fight you Lynch is way better :colbert:

ElGroucho posted:

Lynch is good. He's fast paced, moves the story along, and isn't up his own rear end with prose.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora owns. Especially if as your measuring stick you're using Rothfart.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gluten Freeman posted:

I got about a third of the way into Lies of Locke Lamora before realising that there was one female character in the book, and she dies to motivate the male main characters.

That's funny, Lynch caught flak from the chuds for making a pirate captain a woman in the 2nd book

mewse
May 2, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Also, Lynch is fine in audiobook format. He got me through a couple of unwanted road trips.

Try listening to Rothfuss on audio book. You'll be screaming "WHO GIVES A gently caress!!!" in traffic. You'll feel ashamed at the sex ninjas. And you'll be begging for vehicular death any time Deena comes around.

:lol:

I audiobooked lynch as well, most annoying part was not knowing how Camorr etc was spelled.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Patware posted:

does anyone reading books ever do this, ever, as an aside

what the gently caress

War and peace started interleaving chapters between the fiction and tolstoy's dissertation of Napolean invading russia, I started skipping the historical chapters

That's the only time I can remember doing that. I skip intros for books pretty often

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Cessation of Copulation, a tragedy in 3 parts

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.facebook.com/jsandlin2010/posts/10156523492634142

mewse
May 2, 2006

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I firmly believe that many authors just need to have a fanfiction.net account and write their terrible erotica there and get it out of the system.

Isn’t that how you end up writing twilight

mewse
May 2, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Not sure if this is :thejoke: but 50 shades was originally Twilight fanfic.

Imagine the joke is so high level you don't understand it, and then imagine I'm a fuckin dummy and wrote the wrong book in my joke. It could be either one!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I bet the studios are lining up to deal with Rothfuss's inevitable #MeToo moment

mewse
May 2, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can't have a #MeToo moment when you eat your victims, bones and all, like Rothfuss does.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Robert Jordan has now published two books since The Wise Man's Fear was released in 2011. He has been dead for the last 12 years.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Hotbutt posted:

A few people in the podcast comments section are saying Rothfuss should be apologized to because he was just making an analogy and not being a weird creep.

His rant should have been edited out because it makes him look bad?? What the gently caress

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hope everyone on that cruise gets coronavirus

mewse
May 2, 2006

He's very online because he isn't writing. He's jumping on to other projects because he isn't writing. He isn't writing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Raiad posted:

I wonder if it bothers him that he no longer has anything to do other than write, and thus has no excuse not to finish his book

jk i know it doesn't

Stop loving asking when the book will be out ok? I shouldn't have to deal with this

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Man orders a pizza. Tells pizza delivery guy he has writer's block. Pizza delivery guy says, "Treatment is simple. Greatest book ever written is The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Read it, you'll get inspiration." Man bursts into tears: "But pizza delivery guy... I am Patrick Rothfuss."

mewse
May 2, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

They probably want to gently caress D***** like everyone else in the books.

I definitely trust Patty Roth to write delicately about kvothe's love interest being a hooker. By not writing at all

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

What did the editor say again? I totally forgot about that.

These were the original comments from Betsy Wollheim the editor back in July

Most damning comment was "I've never seen a word of book three."

And a reddit post that collected what she said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingkillerChronicle/comments/i1na9e/betsygate_facebook_post_and_comments_documentation/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oof, those editor comments are hilarious.

I just went back and re-read all of them and as of July she'd been waiting 10 years for book 3, hasn't seen a single word of it, and she says she doesn't think Pat has written anything in 6 years

mewse
May 2, 2006

I stopped the video when he loudly contradicted that those pipes were outputting steam and insisted that they were humidity, then went back and watched more after your guys comments.

How much of an idiot to you have to be to put out video publicly saying that regulations are stupid and your employees are free to ignore them. Did he get his CEO title out of a cracker jack box

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3tYvIkVrTo

ed: I cannot overstate the infuriating hilarity of every second of this video and also the comments

gently caress this stupid baby

e: resigning because he doesn't want to create a HR dept, what a dumb motherfucker, I'm only watching this because he's quitting

e: hahaha zero tolerance for no masks, because that's how regulation works, ok? with immediate termination

e: so that was horrible. at least he admits that he's the problem, his call for people to not be disgruntled was nonsense because he was saying "i can't wrap my head around someone who loves their job but also thinks management are a bunch of idiots"

last comment: this guy fundamentally does not understand what policies and procedures exist for. He talks about pulling pay increases out of his rear end like that's something any employee would ever actually want, and that seems to be the pattern for his entire philosophy of management which is like Michael Scott level of misunderstanding his job

He was against having an EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK.

mewse posted:

Did he get his CEO title out of a cracker jack box

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 11, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

He's not even leaving the company so guess whether his compensation is adjusted after "resigning"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Can't wait for all those sequels/prequels that will come out after book 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It has drawers and trays and poo poo for your nerd poo poo.

Why have I never heard of drawers, I must order this table immediately

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slick posted:

He used his fallback statement from when he first published "I had it all wrote up already, but since it was split into multiple books blah blah"

I wrote parts of a thesis on the changes in social media around Rothfuss as an authors two years ago. And this same poo poo is still going on haha.

Yeah I also noticed that he's still saying it's finished and he's trying to math his way out of it "the time between writing it and the first book was 1994 to 2007 and this has been less years than that!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Now that sounds like a guy who's writing feverishly, just absolutely wringing himself creatively dry to get the final book out as people bug him constantly about it.

God I love that in several sentences describing his year, writing isn't even tangentially mentioned. Fairly low-key indeed.