Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Viridiant posted:

Are there still a number of people interested in this? I've been working on a new thread focusing on the manga that I was going to post once the next chapter is translated, but this thread has been pretty slow and I'm not sure how much of that is due to this thread being for the now over anime and how much of it is due to general disinterest.

I definitely still like the manga, though I'm probably a few chapters behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Next chapter should be out in a few days, been a bit of a delay from all parties involved, sorry

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Viridiant posted:

Are there still a number of people interested in this? I've been working on a new thread focusing on the manga that I was going to post once the next chapter is translated, but this thread has been pretty slow and I'm not sure how much of that is due to this thread being for the now over anime and how much of it is due to general disinterest.

Monthlies that aren't controversial are hard to create thread momentum for.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 51
Simon had a more disturbing background than I would have guessed. Imagine having a completely mundane aspect of your life be forever cursed to hurt those around you

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Viridiant posted:

I happened to wander back in and would be interested in a manga thread, but since the last time I came into this one I got bitched out for wanting to discuss the manga I sort of just read it on my own. I still love it.

Elias’s story about the bolo tie in the most recent chapter was precious.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 54
A couple of things seem to be coming to a head, we got a bit more of what Zoey's deal is seeing that she's got the whole Medusa thing going on for her. Elias once again has no social tact when it comes to asking about human things.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Elias you are so precious. Surprising amount of awwww from Renfred this chapter, too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm ambivalent towards the idea of a magical boarding school showing up in MB. I understand the appeal but too much of HP imho. Also cats :3:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm glad this school at least teaches the basics of society so that they can adjust to the outside world

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The current setting provides more opportunities for rear end in a top hat wizard interactions, which I'm sure could get old eventually, but not yet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/pepperco/status/1098850689457938432

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I appreciate it feels like a real school and not some twee Harry Potter magical journey or Nasuverse cutthroat bloodbath.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the only real solid similarity with it and Harry potter is it's a wizard school, that's it

Harry potter didn't invent wizard schools

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Other than the caterpillar nurse and alchemy classes or whatever the whole setup is extremely mundane. I love how the series plays off the faerie stuff with the absolute mundanity of everything else. Can’t wait for the chapter where Elias teaches Chise how to pay the power bill.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I really like Renfred in this chapter. The panel where he gets angry at Elias and punches him for implying that Renfred was grooming Alice feels really satisfying and sincere. "She's my daughter." But of course Alice has a crush on her surrogate father anyway.

Elias asking "Have you ever found yourself yearning for intimacy?" and Renfred's reaction to it was hilarious too. ["Am I seriously being propositioned by Elias Ainsworth?"]

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This was a nice treat to stumble across. Here's an animated promotion for the current ongoing arc in the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id72FaGlBAw

I can't read/understand Japanese but as far as I know this is -just- a promotion for the manga, nothing about a new season or anything.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I can’t read Japanese either, but that’s the format they use on the website to announce new chapters so I’m optimistic we’ll get a second season in October.

Even if we don’t I’m good with the manga alone but I love this series very very much and want as much of it as possible.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Viridiant posted:

This was a nice treat to stumble across. Here's an animated promotion for the current ongoing arc in the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id72FaGlBAw

I can't read/understand Japanese but as far as I know this is -just- a promotion for the manga, nothing about a new season or anything.

I can't read it so much as know enough to use a dictionary, but:

Manga volumes 1-11 currently on sale, volume 12 goes on sale in September.

Extra thing 1, it's getting a stage play adaption. Opens in October.

Extra things 2 are spinoff stories being released.

e: ANN post

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 12, 2019

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I do hope they manage to create an S2 since I love the series and liked S1.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, the anime got to the part previous to this current school arc right? So there'd hopefully be a good bit of a wait to let this build up a buffer to adapt from so we don't have a Fullmetal alchemist issue.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

according to the YT comments

"The PV itself isn't for the manga. It's for the new short web anime that's coming out. The short web anime will adapt the next several chapters of the manga into anime form as an ad for Volume 11."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
First impressions can be hard sometimes. Especially when you have a head full of snakes and a complex about it.
Looks like Zoey is finally joining the motley crew Chise is gathering. I love how standoffish he got over being born from an egg :colbert:
Philomela on the other hand has had a confrontation a long time coming. I'm pretty sure she was the shadowy whisp that eavesdropped on Zoey in the infirmary as well as being the person stalking Chise. So a proper springboard into the whole Veronica and wizard family stuff

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 2, 2019

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The egg was just so :3:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Aww this was cute

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The snake trying to eat Chise's hair. :3:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sorry if there's a manga thread I should be posting in.

I saw an advert on the author's Twitter for a... spinoff?
https://twitter.com/manga_doa/status/1140818791254806528

Is anyone translating this?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

As much as I want to see more of her stuff in-universe, I hope it doesn’t interfere with AMB getting released or concluding. :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a new chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/650740

I just want to talk a little about how much I love this page in particular and the skill of the author in depicting Elias, a character who has an unmoving bestial skull for a head, as having varying emotions(chibi form notwithstanding) despite the bones never changing shape. It's all in how they look at him, what angle he's at, that gives the perception of a smile or frown. It's really, really good, and this page in particular makes it more obvious than normal.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I loved this chapter.

When I first started Magus Bride I was wary of the relationship between Chise and Elias, but Yamazaki's done such a good job portraying them on such equal ground that it doesn't really bother me at all anymore. And they're so great together that basically an entire chapter of them trying to figure out their relationship is wonderful to read.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah although i understand what she was going for in that first chapter, it really didn’t do the series any favors. It’s so good, I LOVE how they talk about things and respect one another and make terrible mistakes but in the end they are good to (and for) one another.

Also Alice saying “bro” to Blue Flame actually made me laugh out loud.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Viridiant posted:

I loved this chapter.

When I first started Magus Bride I was wary of the relationship between Chise and Elias, but Yamazaki's done such a good job portraying them on such equal ground that it doesn't really bother me at all anymore. And they're so great together that basically an entire chapter of them trying to figure out their relationship is wonderful to read.

:yeah: the manga-ka has handled alot the relationships in her other works well too. I've read her 2 other works and follow the mentor/student focus.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Elias to me read as the typical shoujo secondary love interest, that really possessive guy who doesn't respect personal boundaries and borderline if not outright stalks the heroine through her life and situations. Except Elias has far better writing behind him as well as a far better explanation for his behavior. So now that we've arrived at this juncture where he's been rebuffed enough to actually start to understand his own humanity and feelings it feels pretty good for those two. I never really thought about the difference between the titles these characters used for each other and their actual desires so having it painted out for me helped me clear my mind because I thought that Alice was romantically interested in Renfred given the last chapters cliffhanger. And it's kind of funny that for once Renfred is worse at dealing with people than Elias.

Captain Invictus posted:

there's a new chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/650740

I just want to talk a little about how much I love this page in particular and the skill of the author in depicting Elias, a character who has an unmoving bestial skull for a head, as having varying emotions(chibi form notwithstanding) despite the bones never changing shape. It's all in how they look at him, what angle he's at, that gives the perception of a smile or frown. It's really, really good, and this page in particular makes it more obvious than normal.

Yeah, that's really masterful to be able to give a static face a lot of emotions just through positioning and lighting.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pierson posted:

I appreciate it feels like a real school and not some twee Harry Potter magical journey or Nasuverse cutthroat bloodbath.

This. They don't even have a designated villain House!

Also, for some reason I find the little hooded fire-goblin that has a pact with Alice in exchange for her hair endlessly adorable.

And Chise's roomate is literally me here in Med school. Don't bug me, just let me study and sleep, dammit,

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The politics of the wizard bloodlines, coupled with unique bloodlines like Gorgons, people with specific dispositions like Chise being a twice cursed Slay Vega, and Alice having a rare circumstance of being contracted with a fey. All of this makes the school far more compelling than Hogwarts just having 4 houses and only using 2 of them.

It's not terribly complex but the monthly releases do mean I have to re-read chunks of the current arc. I'd forgotten that one of the wizard bloodlines are named after St. George

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just appreciate that Yamazaki has been able to craft a hidden magical world that doesn't make me feel like almost everyone involved in that world is a blithering moron.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the reminder, didn't know there was a new chapter. Professor Ocean is a cool dude but :stare: at that origin story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Good guy Professor Blob

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Honest to god I can’t keep track of all these new characters and it’s frustrating.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Labes for days posted:

Honest to god I can’t keep track of all these new characters and it’s frustrating.

Very well. I used this as an excuse to make an up to date character chart. I can't vouch for its quality, I've never made one before, but I think it does a good enough job.

I excluded Chise, Elias and Ruth as they should be easy enough to know, as well as any peripheral characters that don't seem to have any obvious ties to the college plot.

I'm also pretty sure that Lian, Veronica, Lucy and Philomela are 2nd years like Chise, and that April and May are 1st years, but as far as I could see the manga never confirms this.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks! That's not bad at all.