Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Just binged on the available chapters and loving it so far. Glad I saw this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm trying to articulate my feelings on the matter and they boil down to approval at the way the relationship is handled. On the surface yeah, "slave-wife" is ewww. In the larger story, I'm glad that the power imbalance never devolves into some Twilight poo poo with Chise just biting her lip and going along with the things Elias does that she doesn't agree with, having no opinions or agency. Especially in that most recent chapter, drat.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm so glad this guy is here to continuously post about how he won't watch the series because a single plot point is problematic.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Is there a manga thread for this series? Because I've done a lot of scrolling and see nothing. I figured it was for the series as a whole.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Chapter 41 is out. As much as I love body horror this Cartaphilius poo poo is a little much for me. :stonk:

I do agree that it sucks that the chapters are monthly, but on the other hand the quality is worth waiting for them.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Wall of spoiler replies incoming:

I would have been fine with the arm. Whys it gotta be eyeballs. Never mind the "I'm going to mount you" beforehand just adding to the vomit factor.

Re: Elias and his physical change, I don't know if we'll see any gradual changes in his default look but I laughed real hard at the long white hair. I was expecting another emotional blowout but I wasn't expecting that.

I like that he and Cartaphilius are foils to one another, one a human turning monstrous through his own actions, the other a fae struggling to stay "human" through his. So by series' end yes, I imagine we'll see Elias looking less monstrous in his everyday body.

I'm also not watching the anime yet but that has more to do with my lovely internet than anything else.

Ed: vv The series doesn't warrant that, you can scroll through once in a while. :v:

Alien Sex Manual fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 15, 2017

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Would you kindly keep the manga spoilers in spoiler tags from now on though, master disdisdis.

Genocyber posted:

Since the series is not that popular I'd figured this thread would work for both. But given some people's inability to properly spoiler tag manga stuff that may not have been the best idea...

If you can use spoiler tags feel free to discuss the manga here.

If the OP and a mod say it's for both, then I don't know why you're complaining about my three paragraphs.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do adoptive parents typically pay money for their future bride and worker for life?

Edit: So maybe read the manga that develops the world and relationship or stop crying about it. vv

Alien Sex Manual fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 26, 2017

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I liked the part where Elias told a cat to shut up and then complained about children. Reminded me of my husband.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I really like this series and its supporting cast, but yeah, Titania's boobs don't really warrant that proportion of the animation budget.

Still a good episode. :3:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I really doubt that. It just seemed like plain old anime fanservice, and frankly it was really distracting. Can't wait for the adaptation of Chapter 14 to see how much worse it gets. :japan:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Two things of which I will never tire:

-Elias's transformations
-Cartaphilius getting shot

Also, Ruth. :3:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Since Yahweh basically cursed Lucifer to cause pain and suffering in the world for all eternity I don't see how him doing it again to some random human would be THAT much more of a stretch.

It is interesting how they incorporate Judeo-Christian myth into the more typical "fairytale" myth in the story. Then again, the first time I ever heard of the Wandering Jew was in Franken Fran, not any of the Western media I consume.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I think it goes deeper than just memory problems. I'm pretty sure Alice has called him blurry to look at in the anime by now. Also, Chapter 33 and the creepiest panel in this manga. I'm curious to see where his story goes.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Silky with the hammer was the best moment in the episode imo.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

She's a brownie.

She can talk per the manga, but I guess she chooses not to speak to most people.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah, he was contemplating eating her.

I appreciate that this series could go to really perverted places if the writing was lazy, but it always subverts expectations. See: the first five or six pages of this thread.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

where the red fern gropes posted:

what would a 5 million dollar meal taste like

Regret.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I love those stupid bugs. :kimchi:

Also scenes with Chise and Elias after she gets the foxskin are some of my favorite in the manga so I'm glad we've reached it in the anime.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah I thought the manga came out monthly but the last chapter was released on Christmas and it's not releasing again until 2/25.

There are apparently two short story collections that were released in Japan but of course I can't read Japanese. :qq:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That was the mother goddess pregnant with her next incarnation. She was riding the Horned God. No clue why they don't explain why Elias hides from them; in the manga he tells Chise it's because gods are very unpredictable.

Also I'm so glad Hazel made it into the anime, I know he's only in like six panels but he's so adorable. :kimchi:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I guess that depends on if you define Wicca as actual Pagan belief. Lots of pagan pantheons have a triple goddess (maiden/mother/crone). Though I was under the impression that it's usually the god that dies at the winter solstice and is reborn.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I enjoyed the episode but as usual it felt like it went by too quick. I just hope the anime has a satisfying conclusion.

It would be nice if they adapted the short stories into another season but I can't imagine the show is all that popular. I'm just hoping the books themselves get translated.

Also the official anime page posted a picture of everybody in wedding attire and they better not be toying with my emotions.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I was satisfied with the ending.

Confused by the rest of the episode but the ending made me happy.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mostly I just didn't get why Ashen Eye was there. If that was explained I missed it, other than just generally that character being a poo poo.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

He didn't take more than her eye, right after that scene she grabbed him and forced him to reveal his story, then the cavalry arrived and chased him off.

After thinking about it a while, I'm not unhappy that Elias purchasing Chise got brought up again. You can't dictate where you start; you can only choose where you go. And despite on the surface being about faeries and magic, this has really been a story about reparative relationships and people learning from and growing with one another.

I just don't know what I'll do with myself now that it's over (and I don't know if the manga is ongoing.) This is the first anime I've gotten attached to in literally a decade.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

And More posted:

If you're looking for recommendations, I started watching this show after finishing Devilman Crybaby (which is about monstrous love, but very depressing), and I've since started watching Citrus (socially unacceptable love) and March Comes in Like a Lion (lonely talented kid finds family). Much like The Ancient Magus' Bride, those last two have a similar hopeful attitude while addressing some heavy subjects.

Have you watched many Studio Ghibli films? Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away in particular have very similar types of stories.

Yeah I've seen both of those and love them too! Devilman Crybaby was messed up but I watched that too; I'll give the others a try.

I hope the manga keeps going because yeah, lots of unanswered questions. I'm planning to buy the anthologies if/when they get translated but it's just not the same as reading the manga.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Is anyone else still reading the manga? Chapter 45 is finally out.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Viridiant posted:

Are there still a number of people interested in this? I've been working on a new thread focusing on the manga that I was going to post once the next chapter is translated, but this thread has been pretty slow and I'm not sure how much of that is due to this thread being for the now over anime and how much of it is due to general disinterest.

I happened to wander back in and would be interested in a manga thread, but since the last time I came into this one I got bitched out for wanting to discuss the manga I sort of just read it on my own. I still love it.

Elias’s story about the bolo tie in the most recent chapter was precious.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Elias you are so precious. Surprising amount of awwww from Renfred this chapter, too.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Other than the caterpillar nurse and alchemy classes or whatever the whole setup is extremely mundane. I love how the series plays off the faerie stuff with the absolute mundanity of everything else. Can’t wait for the chapter where Elias teaches Chise how to pay the power bill.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I can’t read Japanese either, but that’s the format they use on the website to announce new chapters so I’m optimistic we’ll get a second season in October.

Even if we don’t I’m good with the manga alone but I love this series very very much and want as much of it as possible.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The egg was just so :3:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

As much as I want to see more of her stuff in-universe, I hope it doesn’t interfere with AMB getting released or concluding. :ohdear:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah although i understand what she was going for in that first chapter, it really didn’t do the series any favors. It’s so good, I LOVE how they talk about things and respect one another and make terrible mistakes but in the end they are good to (and for) one another.

Also Alice saying “bro” to Blue Flame actually made me laugh out loud.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Honest to god I can’t keep track of all these new characters and it’s frustrating.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Thank you - I’ve been feeling kind of lost for several chapters now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Stella has kind of been a foil to Chise in that respect since she first showed up, hasn’t she?

If it wasn’t for Elias’ protective influence Chise would have gotten preyed on by Ashen Eye when they gave her the shifter skin. Stella has no one to protect her from the pact Ashen Eye forced her into, so I imagine part of why she is treating this genuinely terrifying faerie so flippantly is part of that. Chise has no idea and I imagine part of the pact requires Stella not to speak of it. Poor Stella.

Ashen Eye is gonna be the Big Bad of this series, I just know it. I want to see them out of that cloak because I have a hard time conceptualizing of how the humanoid and scorpion parts fit together. I do hope we get more background on Elias soon though.