Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I should mention for people put off by the premise is that (very mild future spoiler) Elias is an ancient, alien, and rather naïve monster with virtually zero idea of how marriage or romance works, so him picking up a teenage girl as a bride is far less predatory than it sounds. Chose is basically living with a friendlier, better-dressed Cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

thanks for posting that spoiler because that was the one big issue i had aftear seeing this up on Crunchy and reading the premise

Yeah, his thought-process is basically as follows:

1. I want to be more human.
2. Humans fall in love and get married.
3. To be married, I need a human female as a bride.
4. I have purchased a human female.
5. Oh poo poo I have no idea what the next step is supposed to be.

The rest of the story proceeds from there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

She sells herself into slavery? That's incredibly dumb.

The anime looks beautiful and I like magical things, but I can't get past the somewhat creepy premise and stupid character choices.

The_White_Crane posted:

TBF his giving her a tracking device without telling her was kind of creepy.
Though she evidently needed it. WTF girl, "Oh, I'll just follow the fairies into the woods", have you never read a goddamn book?

Most of her decisions are consistent with someone who's not quite actively suicidal, but is self-destructing pretty deliberately. Apparently, being a fairy magnet hasn't worked out too well for her.

Also, voluntarily entering into indentured servitude was an actual, historical thing. Still kind of is in regulation-light markets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Elias is secretly a moe character

To be clear, this is not a joke. This is an actual statement of fact.

Superhero moe is out, skeleton moe is in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Seems like they could have excised slavery entirely and still achieved what it was going for.

Not really. It sets out that Chise is severely self-destructive, and that the broader magical community is not a very nice place. Both of these will be important going forwards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

There are multitudes of other ways of showing a character is self destructive my dude.

Not many others that show the great and the good of her new world happily going along with her self-destruction, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let’s be real here, though - at this point, he’s basically confining her on suicide watch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

So far this episode didn't seem lovecraftian in the least to me.

‘The Cats Of Ulthar’ covers very similar territory to this arc, and may have been an inspiration.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/927326125809917952

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Joseph is literally the Wandering Jew, only he learned magic to find a way to free himself from the curse. Guess Jesus didn’t reckon he’d be able to keep himself sane enough for long enough to make himself a serious threat to others.

It’s weirdly admirable, in a way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I will say that I thought the direction wasn’t great this episode. The choreography was sloppy, and the tonal shifts were very oddly-placed. It kind of felt like they were copying a bunch of manga panels without looking at how they felt as a unified whole.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mean, most of the "fairytale" mythology in this is heavily Celtic/Nordic, and the OVA is Japanese so I guess it presuposes that all fables are true in some way.

You're not exactly wrong, but they're in the manga too and this is very much a one to one adaptation.

That’s exactly the problem, though. A good adaptation takes into account the differences between the media, conveying the general experience in different ways with a different toolkit. Manga-to-anime comic timing tends to be particularly hurt by this - a one-panel joke can be a funny and incisive detail on a page, but an obnoxious distraction when you add sound and colour and make it take up the whole screen for several seconds while the voice actors say the lines. Good adaptations either cut that stuff out, leaving the comedy to more overtly comic scenes where it won’t damage the tone, or find some other, less jarring way to lighten the atmosphere.

Similarly, the panel-to-panel style of direction hurt the action here - characters would teleport around and jump between situations without a clear sense of flow or place. Animation brings a touch of the third dimension to a scene, and they’re not taking advantage of it. Compare how, say, Blood Blockade Battlefront adopts its action from page to screen, and you’ll see what I mean.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Joseph clearly has memory problems, and it’s unclear whether it’s because of his own experimentation, because of the curse itself, or simply because the human brain is not designed to retain two thousand years of information. Whatever the case, it makes his immortality significantly more hellish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Levity is no bad thing. This particular method of injecting that necessary levity, though, is pretty inept, and suggests the director doesn’t really get adaptive storytelling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

FMAB has plenty of tonal whiplash since all the gags were drawn in the same style as the manga. It by no means ruined the show but it was very noticeable when it happened, like in this show. FMAB was an accurate adaptation that happened to be extremely good, but could have been potentially better if it breathed a little bit more in its own medium.

Adaptations I argue aren't good based on accuracy but by using what the medium adds, something this show suffers from in being too accurate to a fault.

Using what the medium adds and avoiding what no longer works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

Hmm there's a school arc now? I do enjoy wizard schools but the only examples in anime I've seen have been crap like Irregular at Magic High School. This will probably be much better.

If you want a good wizard school show, try Iruma-kun. It's incredibly wholesome.