Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I admit I was able to handle Sayori's suicide pretty well, mainly because I was mentally bracing myself for it the second I saw that poem. I'd been expecting something to go wrong given the content warning, and...well...

Also, credit to Roar for bringing this hidden gem to my attention, because it got me to play through it blind and...well. I'm definitely...well "glad" isn't a good word in this situation but I do appreciate that I got to experience that blind for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Personally, I actually feel the warnings helped a bit. You see this cute, uobeat, generic looking VN cover, and think it's nothing. But then you see warnings plastered everywhere. Website, steam page, start screen. Everywhere. Yeah it makes the subversion of expectations really clear, but I feel like thats a necessary sacrifice considering how close to the hilt they play it at first. Like you're waiting for the shoe to drop, waiting for the crazy to start, and then it does and its done incredibly well. But without that warning, most people would have written it off. You'd still have the whole "no spoilers shut up just play it" from other people, but that's not as effective to me as the game itself flatout saying "Be careful!"

I for one would say that's a large factor of what draws you in, and to an extent provides an excellent source of tension up to Sayoricide. You know from the get-go that something has to go wrong, but the game keeps playing itself straight for quite a while.

This game has an excellent understanding of what tension is. Tension is when you know that something bad is going to happen, you just don't know what.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

This. I got what the dude was trying to say and I hate this trope tbh. When you force the player to make terrible choices to progress, you lose the moral high ground to criticize them for making those choices. It's the reason I give Spec Ops the stink eye. I'm glad the game exists and I like what it tries to do, but gently caress sake's, when you don't give player agency your criticism of their actions sounds preachy as gently caress.

Honestly I though what this game would do was punish the players who followed VN mechanics. Like where you focus exclusively on one girl for relationship/sex as a reward and ignore everything else because it doesn't help you toward this goal. Which is pretty manipulative and sociopathic.

It's interesting that you bring up the lack of agency here, because I feel like a key part of the horror taking place so far is the deliberate lack of it the player has. That moment when you are literally incapable of intervening in the argument between Yuri and Natsuki and Natsuki's glitched-out denial of said argument or the moment when the game glitches from a conversation with Yuri straight into the poem-writing thing make it very clear that you're really no longer in control of what's happening by any stretch.

Instead of calling you a jerk for not doing anything, the game becomes much more...psychologically claustrophobic after that, for lack of a better phrase. You're able to see what's happening, but it's very clear that you're not really in control anymore and that feeling that your control is being taken away from you is incredibly unnerving. And that makes the horror hit surprisingly hard, even if the broad strokes of it have been done before to some extent.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Snorb posted:

Well, poo poo. Looks like we've went from cutesy VN straight into some When the Higurashi Cry territory.

Yeah, I didn't want to make the comparison too soon lest I inadvertently spoil things but yes, the back half of the second part is very Higurashi.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Glazius posted:

Are the other characters gone from the data folder, like Sayori was?

...and did she delete the sky?

They are and she did, yes.

someone awful. posted:

yeah, exactly! One of the faults of experiencing this game through the LP is that you don't get hit with that sudden confusion. I was like, "what the gently caress? Is this the end of the game? that's horrible/hilarious/stupid/amazing, if it is." There's really no sign, other than the fact that the lighting changes and time passes, that there's any scenes beyond a dead girl glitching text ad nauseam. It's intensely weird.

Yuri does noticeably decay (*shudder*), you can tell by her eyes going grayer and grayer as the days pass.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'm not going to lie I kind of adore this whole thing, mainly because it brings a lot of things into perspective. The disconnect between the surreal narrative and the realistic psychological issues in it: Monika is perfectly willing to point out that disconnect with Sayori and how the issues brought up are still important. The increased insanity: Was in fact Monika's fault. Given that it was amplifying negative traits it implies that at least some of these issues were still present.

What I like though is what you can tell about her if you read through the lines a bit and take a few of her things in Act 2 into context: she's good at hiding it but given her outbursts I get the vibe that she was legitimately terrified at the concept of you leaving, and that informed her actions a lot more than she lets on at this stage. She's much more calm about it now, but only because she's "won." She says that she doesn't empathize with her friends and thinks her world is fake but her comments on her vegetarianism and her story about the wine say otherwise.

Basically (from my perspective at least) the girl is a master of post-facto rationalization. She's able to come up with seemingly logical explanations for her actions, but in the end she's more tied to her "fake" world than she says. Though weirdly enough even with that I still find her to be sympathetic, mainly because I (like other posters have said) get the vibe that she's far more broken than she actively lets on. She's a drat good actor, but her conversation topics say otherwise quite a bit.

Of course that makes perfect sense if you think about it. She doesn't want to burden her love with her problems. Everything was for you, and of course there's no going back at this point...

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Having said that, I don't think you can frame Monika as psychopathic. Partly because I just think it's more interesting that the real "Yandere" all along doesn't seem to have any mental issues coded into her personality and this is more of a fall from grace story for her, but more than that, I agree with Dr. Snark. Monika's trying to justify herself and her actions by dehumanizing her friends. Some people are just assholes. Monika might be a special case with really trying circumstances, but that's about it. :shrug:

edit: not that I don't empathize with her situation or that her story doesn't make me cry EVERY time, but if you were in her situation, psychopathy wouldn't be why you would do those things. Her situation made her do horrible, assholish things to her friends and that's where the tragedy is. Her being a psychopath all along would really cheapen the tragedy of it, I think.

It really would. I've been holding off on this but I know of another VN (the name escapes me sadly) that had a similar twist where one of the characters was yandere for the player and hijacked the game as well, but there she was the usual "stab everyone in a five block radius that glanced in your general direction" type of yandere. It was a surprising thing, but it really didn't have much substance to it after the twist (that I'm aware of).

Monika does, and then some. Sure she's clearly not fully sane by any stretch but you wouldn't expect this level of eloquence and legitimate supportive advice from her. It's probably why I like this part of the game the most; the longer it goes on, the more and more difficult it becomes to hate her.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Yup, that's the one. Can't remember where I saw it first but the idea stuck with me.

It actually helped me figure out Monika's game far before the reveal.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Really Pants posted:

I think you get "Get out of my head" either way.

You do.

Edit: Wow I am behind on that. But uh more specifically it's still equally bad news once you read about that because you think things are going to be okay if you don't friendzone her but...well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Starship Arcadia posted:

I actually did Sayori's route first, and when the option came up my gut told me not to pick "I love you", because that seemed like a bad idea for her depression. I even had to reload when I ended up picking it anyway because that's how these games go, and felt absolutely horrible when she killed herself.

Why is there no "We're gonna have a platonic sleepover and I'm gonna make you dinner and in the morning I'm gonna call your parents and get you some therapy" option.

Truth be told I'm positive that was a stealth "but thou must" moment. The protagonist would leave her alone in the "normal" game and everything would have been somehow fine despite obvious evidence. But since Monika set SayoriDepression(100), well...

In essence it was the base game script forcing the MC to be an idiot and leave her alone. Normally that would just be bad writing. Here it's actually kind of brilliant in a twisted way.

It's honestly interesting to think about what the "normal" game without this meta-ness would have been like. You get the sense that it was supposed to exist given Monika's dialogue in Act 3 but you never get to see it.

• Locked thread