Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

Other than Han, Luke, Leia, Ackbar, and Nien Nunb, there are no characters from the OT, let alone IV, in VII.

uh r2d2 bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

maybe c-3p0? i dont remember.

anyway the big thing about the disney movies is that they're totally sexless and not horny at all. and don't give me that poo poo about the homoeroticism of the duddes whose name i forgot, that barely even counts.

that smg post about sonic and chili dogs really said it all, does anyone have that handy?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it was the 70s, in star wars. what i mean is star wars takes place in the late 1970s

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

josh04 posted:

Jar Jar does the bidding of a Sith Lord to further the war effort, much like Count Dooku.

the first one to do this was padme. actually no i guess the first one was whats his name, nute gunray

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

you ever notice how the jedi are like, cops, priests and politicians all wrapped up into one thing? and that they go around the galaxy basically kidnapping children via manufactured consent? creepy

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Bombad-class Star Destroyer

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

porfiria posted:

Characters in Star Wars shouldn't be dyeing their hair because that makes me think of fashion which makes me think of mass media and popular culture which shouldn't be a thing in Star Wars. Like, there's no Internet or TV in Star Wars.

dyed hair is rad

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

George Lucas strikes me as the sort of guy who likes to gently caress with people. Got a deadpan sense of humor and doesn't particularly care if nobody else gets the joke.

yeah, i dont know how anyone can doubt this after the star wars blu rays.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

noooooooooo was brilliant

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

vague portentous lines read sloowwlllyy

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

Anakin is literally a rebel without a cause

yeah. and everyone is always underestimating his power

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

qui gon may be part of a creepy cop/priest/child abductor cult but at least he gives anakin some recognition. anakin's all like 'look at me im a genius amazing prodigy' and everyone's like 'gently caress off and make me some money'

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dont even know if star wars the phantom menace is good anymore, all i know is i like posting about it, i like gifs of it, i like that it makes dudes 10 years older than me pissed off, and i love pod racing

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i basically dont like anything about act 1 of rotj from what I can remember. i guess there are a few good moments and ideas but its really long and feels kinda pointless and weirdly integrated

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also i dont really like the ewoks, sorry. but iagree that

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The space battle and throne room are good

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

the rancor's owner crying when it dies

yeah that was cool. the rest is like, eh

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I hate how lame jabba's barge looks. the sarlaac pit looks cool. jabba's palace has a lot of good design but i dont like the way it works narratively. anyway I'm mainly in it for the space ships

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lol its a funny gif, lighten up folks. it was meant to give you joy, not bitterness

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

weird that a new hope is 10% less viewed than the other ots in this poll

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i wish they had qui gon in that poll

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

audience pov characters are dumb baby poo poo. i mean not always sometimes it works but really who needs that these days.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I dont even think Lucas was really thinking much about the old star wars when he was writing TPM. I think given the time he was probably thinking more about like, Jurassic Park

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm glad we got a bit of jizz in this movie.

:same: :yeah:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

he's a joke!! oh wait thats not where you were going nevermind

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its an easy mistake to make because bigger luke is definitely a different character

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

r2 at least uses semantic language, i dont know about the white cuckball

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the last jedi isnt subversive. its about how we just have to deal with star wars being around forever and how thats a fact of life no matter how we feel about it, so might as well make the best of it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its less subversive and more tricky, in how it fools people into thinking its very conservative heart is somehow radical

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Since we're on the topic, the CG hologram scene in Return Of The Jedi is actually a good example of where the prequel aesthetic comes from.

This set from Episode 3:

is a synthesis of these sets from 1950s semi-classic This Island Earth:

and this set from Episode 5:

We should note that the prequel film has the best cinematography of the three, here. (And to be clear: that is a massive physical set that Ewan McGregor is walking around in.)

this is a cool post thanks for the references

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I love hearing about all the trashy 50s movies lucas based the prequel aesthetics on cause I dont know about any of that poo poo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

teagone posted:

Let the past die.

god wouldn't that be nice? someone should make a movie about that

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

people who work in the industry are also often clueless nerds. the world is full of clueless nerds these days *turns on monitor, orders from mcdonalds drivethru, etc*

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

I have ”good film opinion”; jerk me off

this but unironically

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

J_RBG posted:

Disappointingly there's not as much adultery in Star Wars.

I know, right?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the lucasfilms come close to having cuckoldry in them, at least there's a kinda dynamic between luke and han and then later between anakin and obi wan

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i was watching esb again and i'm pretty sure han and leia hosed at least once in between the two movies

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thats true i just mean their entire dynamic at the start of esb is kinda like trying to establish where they stand after some kind of implied off screen passion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i like rlm, but the thing i resent about them, and it never gets brought up, is how it contributed to this whole notion that star wars is somehow about the characters and the story. like, gently caress no it isnt, star wars has only ever excelled at one thing: design. without its visual and sound design no one would give a poo poo about its generic characters or story. so basically its all about the spaceships and the lightsabers