Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where the gently caress does Finn keep getting lightsabers from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Hydronium posted:

Watching it again, it's some sort of glowy electric sword (maybe the same thing TR-8R had?). I thought it was a lightsaber, too.

Ah, that makes more sense.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t think Lucasfilm is adverse to the idea of a full-on comedy film in the Star Wars universe, they just didn’t want that for Solo.

Based on that Hollywood Reporter article it really sounds like Lord and Miller were making the film Disney approved but also got a lot of alternate takes where they had the actors go really broad (which they could add in the edit, if they felt it worked or added a laugh) and then the leads got annoyed that their potential superstar-making performances weren’t being taken seriously by the directors and snitched to the higher ups. Which is hilarious because Emilia is garbage at acting anyway and her only hope of not getting a Razzie was going to be if the film was a out-and-out comedy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If The Last Jedi contains even one similar plot point to ESB I swear I will lose it.

We’re almost certainly going to find out who Rey’s father is so

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really not sure how I would feel if Hayden showed up in TLJ as a Force Ghost. On one hand, Luke going nuts on an isolate island surrounded by the literal ghosts of his past is a neat development for the character, on the other hand #NMFG

Ooh, actually, Hayden showing up to tempt Rey to leave Luke and seek training from Kylo would be awesome.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PenguinKnight posted:

her dad is Wolverine and she has lightsaber claws

Disney/Fox merger hasn't gone through yet.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I don't think the Porgs are gonna be a huge part of the film. One will probably sneak aboard the Millenum Falcon and do silly gerbil things and be cute and help cheer up Chewie, but it's not like a whole group of them is gonna come pouring out from the cargo bay and leap at the throats of First Officer troopers during the climatic battle

...actually, wait

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ingmar terdman posted:

Past few months I've been chipping away at Rian's VIII prep list:
Twelve O Clock High
Bridge on the River Kwai
Three Outlaw Samurai
Letter Never Sent
Gunga Din
Sahara
To Catch a Thief
Kill!

And his resume (Brick, Brothers Bloom, Looper). Watching the Force Awakens in a couple days.

Just out of curiosity which of Johnson’s films did you like best? I think Brick will always be my favorite, but we’ll see how TLJ is...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It’s not just the CGI, the cameras Lucas used on eps 2&3 had garbage sensors so the live action footage looks terrible. It’s especially hilarious on the blu-rays because you’ve got low-detail badly lit Ewan McGregor comped in to a room that looks like it belongs in a mid-00’s video game.

There are some comp issues in LotR as well—go back and watch the opening battle in FotR. Elrond looks green in comparison to the CGI people fighting “beside” him and there’s obvious haloing. Thankfully there’s not a ton of stuff like that, but there’s some if you look closely enough.

Almost special effects fall apart, though, given enough time. The only notable example I can think of where it still stands up is Jurassic Park. The stop motion puppet at the end of Terminator is more funny than terrifying these days. I’m not a huge fan of revisionism in film but I would be OK if Cameron went back and replaced the puppet with a CGI terminator exoskeleton. BTTF 2&3 have held up pretty well, but there are some places in 1 that could benefit from some cleanup, too—changing the lightning around the DeLorean from hand drawn to the CGI they used in 2&3 would help the movies look a little more consistent, if nothing else.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 10, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Attack of the Clones might not look totally real but it looks loving dope
https://i.imgur.com/8Zgaamt.mp4

The first part of this .gif is a perfect example of the comping issues. Look at his hair and face. Ugh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
AV Club's review had a slight, likely revealed early in the movie spoiler that I still wish I hadn't known going in.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My takeaway from the reviews I've read is that there's at least one thing in TLJ that will really, really piss off some people, but no one has mentioned it specifically yet.

...Rian brought back midichlorians, didn't he. :can:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw A Million Ways to Die in the West using my Moviepass subscription and still felt like I was the one who got ripped off.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

*Turns around pensively like Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi*

"I believe one thing only... It's time for the Skywaker Saga to end."

Fixed ya post.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not gonna lie, that trailer's got me a bit more excited for the film. Alden does an... ok Harrison impression. The timing's on point, at least. Donald's more-or-less confirmed as a perfect Lando, but I had assumed that going in.

Groaned a little bit at "I've got a really good feeling about this" and the fact that they made a point of showing how he gets his gun--like, why the gently caress does it matter? But if that's as referencey/fanservicey as the movie gets, I'll be okay with that. If it's full of poo poo like "I'm gonna be a big shot, gonna have my own ship one day." "Yeah, and you'll be married to a princess too, right?" then... ugh. We'll see.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Good point, I've added a tag.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 9, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I think Solo might be my favorite of the Disney Star Wars films if only because Han and Chewie (specifically their banter) are my favorite parts of the OT. I also enjoy films featuring overconfident lucky scoundrels and that’s ehhhh.... 55% of the characters in Solo so, yeah. Sure, it was a troubled production (which really does show in the cinematography and color grading, but not so much in the script or performances), doesn’t push cinema forward as an art form, and ultimately is just simple entertainment but gently caress it, it was a fun shooty space adventure filled to the brim with strange aliens, hijinks, and charm. That’s also more or less ANH is—though the incredible (for its time) special effects work and originality (again, for its time), and mythos elevated ANH to the cinematic behemoth that it’s known as today.

So. Yeah. I’ll have to see it again to be sure... but I think Solo might be my third favorite Star Wars film—but what I want out of a Star Wars film is probably different than what someone else wants out of the franchise. I totally understand why someone else would put it towards the bottom of their own list (though if you rank it below, say, AotC I’d reeeeeeally like to hear your reasoning).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 28, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree that Han’s experience under the Empire could have used more screen time except that it would have slowed down the beginning more. I haven’t read many EU books, so I’m sure there’s something that fills in the blanks, but I feel like there’s a story to be told about what it’s like being part of the Empire and Han could have been a good vehicle for that. I know there’s some exploration of being enlisted in the Empire in Rebels and Clone Wars but that’s more about basic training and youth indoctrination, not the actual boots-on-the-ground stuff.

I also think that this feels like the middle section of what was pitched as a potential Han trilogy—first film is young Han in the Empire, second one is Solo, third one is him being forced to deal with Crimson Dawn/Qi’ra. The Crimson Dawn/Qi’ra/Maul stuff definitely isn’t resolved in Solo, and I’m willing to bet the Fett movie picks up the plot where Solo leaves it off, and is followed in turn by a Kenobi movie to finish off Crimson Dawn/Maul. Basically a stealth “Crimson Dawn” trilogy, focusing on notable OT characters and their interactions with the syndicate. Which is actually pretty neat, and feels very Star Wars EU in a good way.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Phantom Menace is better than AotC or RotS. Seriously. Go rewatch the prequel trilogy front to back. Your memory is betraying you. And stop listing to RLM, they're idiots.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t think this fan theory has been posted here, it’s a doozy

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wyoming posted:

His Star Wars takes are good anyway.

"With Star Wars, product has not only taken the place of art; it has replaced myth."

"The Star Wars movies belong in the same category as Elvis Presley movies: They’re popular yet are all but unwatchable — except that the Presley pictures evince a human touch."

"Luke’s confrontation with Kylo on the red-salt tarmac only hints at the shock of bloodshed, and the centerpiece skirmish between Supreme Leader, Kylo, and Rey — the film’s visual highpoint — features only rote gymnastics. You cannot have seen any Chinese martial arts or Zack Snyder movies if you are impressed by this. Johnson’s backdrop is a stunning red cyc wall that goes up in flames, revealing nothing. Psyche."

I don't usually like White but I'll be damned if he's WRONG

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davros1 posted:

gently caress a Non-SE video release; give me a version with Peter Mayhew's dialogue intact.

https://twitter.com/MarshallJulius/status/1193820973331603456?s=20

Only if we get a Guy Ritchie-written, Wookie-focused spinoff flick

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Mandelorian is pissed off that his only way off this backwater desert planet was destroyed and also a bit scared because he knows there's a bunch of other bounty hunters on the way. Also he's not much of a talker, but he's really good at killing. So his first thought is to try to take his ship back by force, which fails miserably.

It's a little unfortunate that the Jawa deaths are played for comedy and seen as acceptable but I mean you laughed too so

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glances sideways at the hundreds of "legends" books

...hell, she's right actually

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

LOL apparently they already have it ready to ship.

The Child is actually a Yogurt.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I started laughing at the Yoda scene.

I don't really understand why people are so up in arms about Luke in this movie. His character arc is pretty interesting to me, though I only watched the remasters of the originals back in like 98 or 99.

Everyone built up Like to be, like, some giant huge deal rear end-kicking, sexy-girlfriend having space knight in their minds. The expanded universe books didn't help with that.

So when Like was revealed to be a blue-milk chugging hermit who wanted gently caress and all to do with the Resistance or anything going on at the Galaxy at large, people were pissed.

Personally I 110% agree with his arc, in the OT he's a whiny teenager who finds out he has magic powers and gets thrown into the middle of intergalactic conflict. He then finds out the terrifying leader of the baddies is his estranged bio-dad and the sexy hologram princess who was flirty and kissy with him is his estranged twin sister.

And then, after managing to convert his dad back to the good side and watching him defeat the real big bad, his attempts to make the world a better place by bringing the Jedi back fails miserably because he's still an impulsive teenager at heart.

Yeah, I'd gently caress off to a Scottish island too.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 27, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shiroc posted:

He would have been tied to Obi-Wan for those 10 years and being the consummate end of the Old Republic Jedi, Obi-Wan never would have let him. It was the first possible opportunity where Anakin alone could decide to do it and he still was hesitating because of the Jedi indoctrination not to do anything about it.

You know, a failure of the PT that I hadn't really considered before now is that Obi-Wan is supposed to come across as an inflexible, controlling, cultish handler that's actually hurting Anakin but because Anakin keeps doing stupid boneheaded stuff like leaping hundreds of yards down through traffic, and the fact that Ewan McGregor is just inherently likable and hams up some of the doofier bits of the material ("Hello there!") and you end up agreeing with Obi-Wan over angry, impulsive, emolord Anakin most of the time.

If they had played up Obi-Wan's dickishness, and maybe even explored the "is he making moves on Padme" angle a bit more, Anakin's characterization and turn maybe wouldn't have come across as poorly as it did.

Ah well.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

Looks like Disney is rewriting history and removed Harrison Ford's cigarette from the promo reel.

Don't worry, they'll replace it with a Lucas-approved Maclunkey-branded Death Stick in a few years.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

codo27 posted:

Says a lot about the sad shambles that is modern day pop culture that Donald Glover was the best they could get to play Lando

Imagine, just imagine, looking past the charisma black holes that are Alden Ehrenreich and Emilia Clarke and thinking that Donald freaking Glover, doing an excellent, effortless, evocation of Billy Dee Williams is what's wrong with the casting in Solo.

Now, if you want to talk about Glover being badly cast, go give Spider-Man: Homecoming another watch. Whoof.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

codo27 posted:

I have such an irrational problem with the use of the word "hell" in the SWU. Not to mention Han calling Jabba a wonderful human being

The human being line is hilarious. I'm not sure if Lucas meant it to be earnest or not but Ford's delivery is perfect.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JBP posted:

Jabba was originally a human being before they made him a slug.

Wait, the monk wasn't just a stand-in? Yeeesh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Payndz posted:

I realised that in RotJ, when Ackbar says "All craft, prepare to jump to hyperspace on my mark", Lando says "All right, stand by" - then immediately goes to lightspeed. I'm now picturing Ackbar yelling "No, wait, I said on my mark!" and watching the Falcon zoom off on its own.

Was it actually Lando who made the jump or was it L3-37?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pretty good posted:

Incredibly distressing post

What, you didn't think I would stoop so low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Cinemark I went to last night (finally saw Knives Out, good film) had special Star Wars branded Nerds that encouraged you to take a side, which at least makes a decent amount of sense

But the flavors were blue raspberry and strawberry and I'll be damned if I get Nerds where grape isn't at least one of the flavors