Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vintersorg posted:

I’m sure there are newsgroup archives about it. Hell I’ve seen people post em here many times!

If I remember right: NOTHING has changed.

There are, and its hilarious. The prevailing belief after ESB was that Vader was lying his rear end off, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I feel like Ehrenreich was probably suited more to a goofier take on the character that Lord and Miller were doing before they got canned, and the "acting coach" stuff was actually to get him back into line for whatever stolid horseshit Howard and Kennedy are trying to make the movie into.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SimonCat posted:

Yeah, you're right. I was half watching it earlier and didn't pick up on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQEiNJnkQAw

Hahaha holy poo poo that wampa puppet is bad

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I love the Darth Icky story, the devs not realizing they were being hosed with approaches My lunches with Orson-level obliviousness.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

I liked the dialogue but Phasma's quick-draw looked like something out of a loving anime

Yeah, the idea of the scene is nice but the execution is really loving bad, so it makes sense they cut it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The Force Awakens was absolutely a movie born from the pre-trumpian neoliberal smugness that figured Justice would always win by default so why bother taking the Nazis seriously, so part of the fun of TLJ and the larger Disney star wars saga is watching these people desperately scramble for purchase after the real equivalent of The First Order actually loving won handily.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

People aren't abandoning star wars because TLJ is ~so bad,~ people aren't going because Solo represents a complete failure to understand why the average person likes Star Wars. Star Wars is about Big stories told in a fantastical setting, good vs evil, vast scopes, the fall of empires and etc. Even Rogue One understood this, for all its flaws, because even though it's a "small scale" story, its still about a big deal, trying to save the galaxy from an apocalyptic weapon at any cost and, in isolation, can at least be understood through that lens.

The average viewer isn't going to give a poo poo about Solo and never was, because there's no big interesting question about the story of Han Solo. He's a very simple archetypal Hollywood character that anyone can "get." Hes a backwater bootlegger who does Crimes and recently got in hot water. Everything you would want to know about him is conveyed in his first scene. There is no real reason to care about a "big heist" for the average viewer because they aren't going to Star Wars to watch a low stakes crime story with only three characters out of several they even know, with none of them being performed by the original actors. The producers looked at the MCU and tried to get themselves some of that, but they completely failed to understand that origin story movies "work" for comics films because they're an introductory adventure for a new character with room to grow, not an unneeded extrapolation on a character you already know well and is already dead with no chance to grow and change.

I'm not saying there's no place for Solo as a star wars film, but it should have never been a tentpole, because there was never going to be a chance of it supporting that kind of audience. It should have been a middle budget film with room to be weird, to make its money on the niche and secondary sales, but unfortunately Hollywood can only think in blockbusters now because Disney has broken everyone's brains.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I want there to be a thread on this forum where the only people allowed to post are jivjov, mrbibs, and smg

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Timby posted:

Vader just ending the poo poo out of the rebels was great. That scene on Mustafar with him and Krennic, though, was awful and indeed fanwank.

I am 100% certain that the massacre at the end was Vaders only scene in the initial planning of the film, as an "oh poo poo" cameo, and that the terrible Mustafar scene was whipped up in punch-up or reshoots.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Star Wars already ended; Lucas sold it to Disney.

"They died."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I feel like the back half of this excerpt is relevant here.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Teek posted:

Carrie's brother on her TRoS presence:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019/11/carrie-fisher-original-role-rise-of-skywalker.html

8 minutes could be an estimate. I'm guessing that's 8 minutes of unused scene footage from the previous movies. I know they're also using alternate takes/reworked previously used footage. The specific Rey hug is an alternate take and they're also reworking (clothes+background) of her goodbye to Rey from TFA.

For comparison about total time, she had about four minutes total in TFA.

So we all agree that this "repurposed footage" is just a PR cover for them doing more CGI necromancy to see if people notice, right

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like George Lucas would fit in very well on SA.

The Darth Icky story is like something out of golden age FYAD, the man absolutely has a taste for loving with people.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Stormtrooper grunts chatting in the drop ship about how their boss is incredibly racist and it makes them really uncomfortable

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lucas didn't just allow the various spoofs, he actively participated in them, like that one amazing fake BTS video of him physically chasing one of the family guy producers from the room for mentioning Mara Jade.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I distinctly remember watching TLJ in theaters and thinking "Oh, gently caress off" at the end with the kid playing pretend Jedi with his broom, which felt like one of the most nakedly crass attempts at a nostalgia play I've ever seen, coming from a company and director who had absolutely no claim to that nostalgia.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The best part of the Subverting Expectations thing is that it doesn't, really? On the balance the film is a fairly straightforward riff on Empire Strikes Back, has all of the same beats just in slightly different order, its just that the specifics aren't exactly the same. All the beats are there and everything largely follows logical storytelling paths, its just that it sucks in execution.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc, the character Glover plays in homecoming is the same as Miles' cool supervillain uncle in Spiderverse, but with none of the aspects that made that character interesting

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

It's not fun to make fun of peoples mental illness. Some idiot tried doing the same as he cancelled an interview where they started playing back audio.

It was Terry Gross at NPR, which is doubly insulting because Gross has interviewed Driver before and they talked about his phobia at the time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Why are goons suddenly taking a RottenTomatoes score seriously? Usually that site gets nothing but poo poo around here, for good reason.

Its notable because RT scores usually overcorrect in the opposite direction, and also its extremely unusual for reviewers to actually go in on a movie this big produced by a studio as large and notoriously petty as Disney. For this many critics to give a negative review of RotS means that the potential credibility hit from giving it a bad-faith positive seems like a big enough threat to them to outweigh the usual concerns of having early access privileges revoked by a spiteful mouse.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Didn’t Carrie Fisher’s toxicology reveal she still had enablers around her who were providing her with a poo poo load of hardcore drugs? Fans should have been loving pissed but everyone just kind of... accepted that because she got to be in a Star Wars one more time.

If by "enablers" you mean "Disney handlers with no ethics whose only job was to get Fisher thin and fired up for the role," I'm pretty sure everyone kind of figured that one out already.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

"It's treason, then." Is another perfectly killer line.

Just loving imagine how incredibly satisfying that whole sequence must have been for Palpatine, in-universe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean, it’s also a major recurring gag in Raiders that Jones is not in fact a cool badass dude, but a nerdlord with a gun who gets constantly owned, fucks up regularly, and ultimately accomplished nothing since the ark would have toasted the nazis with or without his help. In that context, the reveal that he’s also a creeper who was macking on a 13 year old makes absolute sense, and was probably only cut because they realized it was a bridge too far for audiences to accept

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Gonz posted:

Per Deadline, Taika Waititi is in talks to do a Star Wars movie.

Its a prequel movie about Jango just getting incredibly loving hammered for two hours and shouting at random people on the streets of coruscant while boba gets up to increasingly surreal shenanigans.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

I don't get why they don't go for directors with good sci-fi under their belt.

Because the producers and executives hiring the director do not care about making a good movie or furthering the genre, they want to make money risk free and a director with enough pull to say no runs directly counter to that understanding.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My favorite Anthony Daniels facts are that he gives poo poo to every actor on set who decides to do mocap instead of putting on a practical suit, and also that he apparently loving hated 3PO’s red arm for some arcane reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

This is an incredibly stupid idea and you should feel bad for doing it