Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars.

MonsieurChoc posted:

We're just gonna keep hitting the wall of Jijov not being able to un derstand that canon and the story group is complete bullshit.

If this keeps going in circles, maybe it's time to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess the first warning was a little too subtle, so I'll be explicit.

I don't know the differences between Hosnian Prime and Coruscant. I don't really care. This derail has gone on for ten pages, and is going nowhere.

Stop engaging each other on the subject, move on, or I'll help end the discussion six hours at a time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The proper term for vaginal architecture is yonic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

There's probably a non-disparagement clause in the contract for the sale of the property to Disney.

It's 100% this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Sure, there's an established Sam Jackson persona, but he's perfectly capable of dialing that up or down depending on what's required(or crafting something totally new like in Django).

But yea the main thing he brings is effortless charisma, which is something that I imagine you always are happy to have as a filmmaker. Doesn't matter if a movie is well written or has a big budget, if the actors are charisma black holes then it's all for nothing. Probably nice to be able to tick that box immediately by just hiring Jackson and right there you know when he's on screen there will be a presence that commands attention.

Why do you think they decided to make him such an important part of Captain Marvel? It's because they really need that movie succeed and one good way to make sure that happens is to make Jackson one of the keystones. Which is what he's done since the start of the MCU, I mean very few people could pull off that outfit and the eyepatch.

Marvel has literally redesigned a character that's been around for decades to look like SLJ, he's that drat charismatic.

If you want to argue about his range as an actor, just watch Jackie Brown next to Django Unchained next to Jurassic Park. Unless you're just being willfully obtuse that an actor has to be a character actor like Daniel Day Lewis to have range.

Also, the dude got his start with Roger Corman and Troma flicks. He's very happy to show up in some goofy poo poo for the hell of it, like the amazing Deep Blue Sea.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he's very good in Coach Carter. It's not an outstanding movie but it was nice to see him playing a more understated role than he's usually given, not unlike Brian Blessed in those Kenneth Branagh Hamlet movies.

While I haven't seen Coach Carter, that seems to be how it goes with SLJ. He shows up and sometimes he gets to explore the character with nuance and interest, and other times the director is telling him "I hired SLJ to play SLJ, so gimme some of that SLJ manic charm." Same thing happens with Nic Cage, for instance.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Being more welcoming is a fine goal, and I'm not calling that absurd, but if two threads with some doofy posts in them is enough to mischaracterize the entire subforum then you're dealing with something more intractable. Like, say, the cultural stereotype of the insufferable film snob. It would be like trying to undo the stereotype of an anime subforum being filled with perverts.

Sure, but those "two" or so threads are the most popular film franchises that people would hop into to join. The Star Wars, Marvel, and other superhero threads tend to have the biggest issues with being unwelcoming and they're going to be the most appealing to a casual moviegoer, compared to, like, the kaiju thread or the Western thread.

There's a reason why most goons--inside and outside of CineD--tell each other to avoid certain threads due to toxic personalities.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but as I said above when Basebf555 made this same point, that isn't some crazy coincidence. The more mass the entertainment is, the more an impassioned and idiosyncratic viewpoint is perceived as bizarre and the more likely it is that people will wander into the thread containing it.

But then I had not thought of this conversation as being focused on "toxic personalities," so maybe we're talking past each other. I view goofy overcommitment to an idiosyncratic viewpoint as meaningfully distinct from people who've degraded to the point where they just call people morons without mentioning a movie, and I'd only refer to the latter as toxic. And from what I've seen, more of the reputation of CineD relates to the former.

Yeah, we're mostly just saying the same thing to each other.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To be very clear:

Stereotyping is a form of objectification.

The solution to objectification is not to censor depictions of certain behaviours,

Censorship only addresses the arbitrary content of a stereotype (a physical feature, an accent, a choice of food,) and not the form - the objectification.

The solution is simply to stop objectifying: to perceive the person as a person, to say that people are people regardless of what they look like, how they talk, or what they eat.

If you see Megan Fox in a bikini and say “the patriarchy has made her into an idiot slut, a subhuman bitch, we should censor breasts”, that is perpetuating objectification under the guise of wokeness. It’s a pseudo-feminism perfectly aligned with the rhetoric of the most hardcore misogynists and white supremacists.

Yo, real quick, cuz I've seen you do this a few times, and I can't think of a reason not to probate you for this:

Why do you use offensive slurs when you accuse other people of being racist or phobic? Cuz that's really not cool, even if you choose to use slightly more archaic ones.

It doesn't matter if you're accusing someone of discriminating if you're going to use your own slurs to do so.

To clarify, since you're pedantic, this is in regards to posts on the last page, which I don't want to quote.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People are saying, quite, unambiguously that characters in the films are racially inferior and otherwise subhuman. I am saying that that is wrong, using forceful language in a way that is admittedly rude.

I may be probated for rudeness, but then I would ask why ‘polite’ racism in the thread (open calls for genocide and whatnot) are not probatable.

There's a big separation with being simply "rude" and using blatant racial slurs which you feel are justified because they help your point.

Yours is easier to point to and say "You are using racial slurs".

Don't worry, though. I'm reading through the posts and making notes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You can call out bigotry without using discriminatory language yourself. I don't care if you like it or think it helps prove your point, it is still using bigoted language.

Don't use your own slurs to call someone else a bigot.

If there is bigotry or discrimination being spread, report it or PM me so I can address it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

This thread is years old and has winnowed away all of the people who are unwilling to recite tedious trivia to placate people like you. People who will ask a question, get a detailed answer, then ignore it to post flippant crap like "heh, 2000s star wars fans, amirite?"

Like, who cares if I'm mad. You've posted more words about my supposed mood than you have about star wars.

You do this, despite being so stupid you scoff at the idea that framing is an important aspect to the aesthetic of a movie, you dunce idiot.

Okay, so if you’re not gonna talk about the movie or engage people who are actively trying to talk with you about the movie, then you can leave the thread. I understand you are smarter than everyone and definitely not mad or aggressive, but you are incredibly boring and disrupting conversation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While your attempt at public service is admirable, yes, talking about Posting instead of actual movie discussion is dumb and disruptive.

If you want to discuss this further, then PM me.

If you want to continue posting in this thread, or any other CineD thread, stick to actual film discussion without insulting other posters.

Or just eat sixers for every disruptive post.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does the Darth Maul reveal at the end of Solo have any actual implication on the films, or is that in service of the EU shows I'm never going to watch?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Not really. I imagine he was going to be used for a Solo sequel, or possibly a Qi'ra spinoff if she proved popular, but now neither is likely to ever happen.

He was brought back in a TV show, and later killed by Obi-Wan on Tatooine in a different TV show. Ron Howard apparently just wanted a big reveal character for that scene, asked the canon guys for a list of who was alive for the time period of the movie, and picked Maul off that list because he thought it would be cool. Now it will just be a, "Oh, that's weird" moment for anyone who hasn't watched the shows.

That's exactly what I thought.

Weird choice, Ron Howard!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m not seeing the film until the day after Xmas so I’m hoping this thread will remain spoiler free. I guess I’m rolling the dice at this point but oh well

Just to make sure everyone plays nice, if people post spoilers in this thread without hiding them, they will receive some solid probations. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hello Star Wars friends of CineD.

It has long been debated over the necessity of two Star Wars threads in CineD. I understand that a Spoiler Free, more chill Star Wars thread was a nice thing to have while we were awaiting the outcome of the latest trilogy. Now that Rise of Skywalker has had over a month to be seen, I feel comfortable closing one of the Star Wars threads. This has been a thing I've been thinking about since I became a mod, but there was never a good time or way of doing it.

However! Now we have an entire subforum for Star Wars! Yay!

Since there is plenty of room in that subforum, it seems even more redundant for this thread to exist. All things Star Wars must come to an eventual end, so new iterations can begin.

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread will still be CineD's singular Star Wars thread. And even that will be getting a reboot in the near future*, as we prepare for whatever Disney decides will make the most money while disappointing the most fans.

If you have questions or anything, as always, you may PM me or try to contact me on Discord, and I will respond when I get the chance.

May the Force be with you!

*If you have ideas or interest in helping to make a new singular Star Wars thread for CineD, please also PM me.