Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I’ve been watching the prequels again for the first time in years, and they’re honestly quite good. Jar-Jar and the Anakin/Padme romance aren’t very good but aside from that they’re enjoyable. Episode I obviously has the Darth Maul fight as its highlight, but the whole Obi-Wan investigation storyline in Episode II is such a delight, and the speeder chase on Coruscant is one of the best action sequences in Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I just did the same and I'd have to agree.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

viral spiral posted:

The Phantom Menace did not even have a main protagonist. It's clear Lucas did not have anyone proofread the first draft for him.

"The scripts are incoherent" and "I don't like the lack of a clear protagonist" are different statements. You should try to be more consistent in your criticism.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

wrong thread my friend

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

So with Carrie Fisher being deceased in real life, why did they make her such a huge part in this movie? They have her have force powers beyond belief, blow down a door to stun pilot guy, and still at the end of the movie shes alive going on to help lead the Rebellion! When will they let her rest?

You might not have realised but all of those scenes were filmed while she was still alive.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

And it was very disliked among the audience. Not by everyone, but it was not a cherished film.

Does this actually hold true among general audiences? That movie review site that asks people leaving the cinema what they thought has it as well liked as Episode 7, and it has an 8/10 user score on IMDb. It's just the Rotten Tomatoes user score that's really been bombed, which makes me think that people who review films on Rotten Tomatoes are just wildly unrepresentative of film-going audiences.

EDIT: It's been bombed on Metacritic as well. Maybe the connective tissue is weirdos who for some reason use review aggregators to look at user scores.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 17, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Objection! Nobody likes the Ughnaughts.

Nobody dislikes them either.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Same except the girl next to me scoffed and muttered how dumb it is to clap in the movie to her friend every single time.

I'm sorry but she's right.

(Clapping at films is either an American thing or a midnight screening thing. Possibly both. I have been to see Disney's Star Wars films 5 times in cinemas, among many other films. and I have never heard clapping. I also never go to midnight screenings so that might be it.)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I go to movies on opening night when I want to see them soon. It's still rude to make noise over a movie.

I agree with this.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

UmOk posted:

You Amerikkkans are so loving dumb. When something exciting happens in a movie we foreigners just incline our head slightly and give the tiniest of smiles. You Yankee fucks probably have the audacity to laugh at funny things.

Laughing is an involuntary action, my friend. You can enjoy things without clapping, and this is what the cinema experience is like in different cultures.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

trash person posted:

This is such an old man ‘Dang kids get off my lawn!!’ thought.

I’m sorry but I just keep imagining someone sitting in a hugely popular movie on opening night, something awesome happening, and you just sitting there grumbling while everyone else in the theater experiences a shared moment of positive emotion

Why not just enjoy the movie yourself? I go to the cinema to see a movie when it comes out on a big screen, not to partake in a "shared experience". (This is doubly weird because nobody I have ever asked in person has experienced clapping in a film before the end credits. It's a very sharp cultural divide that results in Americans talking about something that they think is universal only for other people to be baffled by it.)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My theatre was mostly silent aside from laughs and quiet talking (e.g. when Snoke died) and I heard mostly positive things on my way out. I didn't really stop to listen because it was late and it was cold. And that's my Star Wars theatre-going story.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I hope they get at least a quick cameo with Lando in Episode IX. They've brought back Admiral Ackbar and Nein Nunb and apparently they asked Wedge to come back too. If he's mobile enough to get to the studio to voice his lines for Rebels and Battlefront 2 and go to interviews then I'm sure he's mobile enough to stand/sit in front of a green screen for about 5 minutes. Maybe he could be one of the Resistance's allies in the Outer Rim that they try to contact.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

First impressions of the score are that while Williams unfortunately didn't do anything new (that I noticed, there may have been some minor themes), it uses the TFA themes and other existing material to good effect. Rey's theme, Kylo's theme, and the March of the Resistance are used well throughout, Leia's theme and the Jedi Steps get some nice moments, and the biggest surprise was Luke and Leia's theme. I'm listening to it by itself now, so we'll see how it stacks up.

E: I lied about the new stuff being unmemorable, I just reached the Canto Bight track and it owns.

I quite like what I think is Rose’s theme, which shows up on ’Fun With Finn and Rose’, ‘Canto Bight’ and ‘The Fathiers’. Overall I think the soundtrack this time round was a pretty big improvement.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

Question: Am I mistaken, or was there footage of Rey running with a lightsaber on salt planet that wasn't in the film?

You must have been because the lightsaber got destroyed before the Crait battle.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wonder if Mark Hamill was inoculating himself from fan boy rage by stating in interviews that he very much disagreed with Johnson's treatment of Luke in the script

I think he was just trying to big up how they were going somewhere with the character that wasn't immediately obvious.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

To say that the Jedi should end is to say that Star Wars should end, which is an odd stance for the continuing Star Wars series to take.

I don't think this is what the movie is saying. Luke Skywalker is not the last Jedi, after all.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

It seems to be what a lot of people are taking away from the movie and what they want, though. If anything, I think the saga will end with Rey proclaiming herself to have transcended the dogmatic strictures of the old way and to be walking a new, more enlightened path which accepts the realities of both the dark and the light and maintains a healthy balance between them...even though that's exactly what the Jedi are and what Luke accomplished in bringing them back in ROTJ.

The problem is people don't think that's what the Jedi are. They think that the PT revealed what the Jedi actually are, and completely ignore that that trilogy was specifically constructed to complement the OT, and for a specific reason. Hint: It has a little something to do with the title "Return of the Jedi."

I think we'll have to wait and see what Episode IX does with it until we can actually know for sure what interpretation to take.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

mandalorians are just poo poo klingons, and klingons are already poo poo

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Who cares?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Everyone seems to miss this about the space chase, but the plan was to let the First Order think they had destroyed the Resistance while actually almost everyone gets away on the transports. That’s why Holdo is continuing on course - so the baddies don’t realise something is up. If all the previous ships had tried (and failed) to lightspeed ram then they’d know that they were really mostly empty.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

edit: the only canonical series in the Kelvin Timeline is Enterprise.

edit 2: quote is not edit

But also old Spock is from the Prime Timeline, as is Eric Bana. And the Kelvin Timeline wouldn't exist without those people from the Prime Timeline.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it looks nice. It is somewhat amusing that the Falcon changed more in 10 years than X-Wings, TIE Fighters and Star Destroyers changed in 30, but that's more down to boring design work in the sequels rather than going too far here.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

it is unacceptable for a company to make more than one game of the same genre imo which is why I havent played a game for 20 years

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Not this again.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not just that Last Jedi made less money (less than Black Panther, too, which nobody would believe if you said it a year ago).

wow, i can't believe that star wars made less money than [checks notes] the most successful superhero movie of all time

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Decius posted:

You get what you pay for. And if you pay for the Hot Toys Finn I don't think there's reason to complain:

So blame lovely, cheap moulds and underpaid engravers/designers, not a racist camera setup.

thats one hot toy

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Ammanas posted:

This clearly is not the case, or the cruiser in The Last Jedi would not have passed through the First Order fleet. There is absolutely an element of acceleration (and deceleration) to hyperspace. You can see this visually in the Original films as ships seem to decelerate out of hyperspace.

Ships don't merely blink into existence, they're clearly in motion.

euphronius posted:

She engaged the warp drive not the regular space drive that they used to outrun the first order fleet

In the falcon it the handle that Han pushes forward and barely or never works because it's a piece of poo poo space ship

Whichever one of these is actually true in the context of the fake science of Star Wars doesn't matter. What does matter is that the narrative effect of the jump to hyperspace is more like jumping in a hole than running fast. Basically any ship can jump into the hole. The Millenium Falcon being fast when it's in the hole would be utterly meaningless because at that point they can't be chased anymore.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

What crystal?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They all sounded perfectly normal to me.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jesus christ jivjov please stop doing this every single time

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Sorry I actually paid attention to The Force Awakens.

whether or not it is actually a death star you make a massive fool of yourself every time this happens

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Accurately recalling something from a film is "making a massive fool of myself"? I think its much more foolish to insist that something false is in fact true. Though I guess if it works for the President of the United States it can work for a forums poster too...

please stop digging my friend

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The only "lore" thing I can see being addressed in Episode IX is who the Knights of Ren are, but that's just because they might show up to round out the villains a bit now that Snoke and Phasma are gone.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it's probably a combination of increased game budgets, a move away from AAA single-player games, a reluctance from EA to be experimental and brand consistency enforced by Lucasfilm.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Really love how the characters look with their Episode 3 designs.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My favourite thing about this latest thread argument is that "Tatooine is Jakku" is possibly the most straightforward and easy to understand thing that SMG has ever posted.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Star Wars fans aren't the people who make Star Wars movies successful (financially, critically, or artistically).

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Now we've decided we're never going to get a scientific measurement of how good a movie is can we stop having this stupid loving argument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'd just like to say: please never leave us again Cnut. We need your posts.