Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

euphronius posted:

Tfa felt rushed because that's just how Abrams does his movies imho . They are frantic . I didn't notice any lack of production quality which you may get when a movie is actually rushed .

Tfa doesn't feel rushed. It's a profoundly boring movie, especially on rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

Uh

Hmmmm. Hmmmmm. Two Lukes.

Two Lukes, one exhaust portal

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Sinding Johansson posted:

This movie sucked so bad that people are trying (and failing) to interpret as some sort of commentary on the franchise - as even it's defenders seem to recognize it fails to stand on its own merits. The stuff on the island with Luke was particularly insipid.

What the heck is the light side of the force?

What are the resistance and first order even trying to accomplish?

Yeah this movie sucks in a different way than TFA. TFA was a boring retread, TLJ is a pointless exercise in subtraction. It feels incredibly packaged, sanitized and empty.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Fair enough. I also wonder how Star Wars fans responded to Empire when it first came out. Not that TLJ is of the same quality, but i could see many similar issues being brought up.
"Boba Fett was such a waste!"
"If Vader is Luke's father, than Obi Wan lied. They're destroying his character!"
"Han shouldn't end up with Leia, in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Luke was with her!"
"This Yoda guy talks weird and isn't funny."

Uh no.
Boba Fett lit nerds minds on fire. They thought he was bad rear end.
The vader-father reveal was tremendous.
No one read Splinter of the Minds Eye.
Yoda was amazing. Kids thought he was a human that just became that way because of his super old age.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I loving love porg

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Just wanna say I appreciate cnuts posts, they're elaborating my feelings almost perfectly.

Also all this talk about how Tlj makes star wars contemporary or brings star wars to 2017 is loving repulsive. Star wars should exist out of time like all great fables/heroes journeys/epics

2017 loving blows and will be remembered as a deep dark time continuing from a deep dark time that began 9/11/2001

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 20, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Bleck posted:

The non-naturalistic dialogue of the prequels makes sense when you consider that not a single one of the featured characters has lived life in conditions that anyone could describe as natural.

You're right, it's not that Lucas is a terrible writer or director, it's that all the characters have unique life circumstances

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Wait are there people watching Star Wars for naturalism

Theyre using the wrong word to describe the dialogue & delivery. The word is awful. Star Wars drips earnestness and authenticity, at least the OT does. PT is stilted and fake, New Trilogy is trash, replete with irony and Marvel-esque self-cutdowns

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Natty Ports seems to have done a good job of it.

She had a career before Star Wars.

All the new characters from this trilogy will be fine, perhaps Boyega excepted. Ridley, Isaac, Driver are all immensely talented actors and none of them are giving really iconic performances.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Martman posted:

Humans cannot make choices that contradict our software.

Please do not devolve the star wars movie thread into a navel-gazing jerk session about the existence of free will

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mark Hamill is really, really good in TLJ. His meeting with Leia is remarkable in it's depth of emotion portrayed almost exclusively through expression. He's never been a great actor but his performance (especially given middling material) is shocking and underrated.

Truly he was wasted by the ST. Hope we see substantially more from him in 9.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

They announced he's doing a whole Star Wars trilogy.

Didn't they announce this the week of (ie before) the opening?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ingmar terdman posted:

For all of the chatter about how "it's a wide open galaxy for all kinds of stories" they haven't really demonstrated it yet

Disney wants to double its 4 billion investment before they even consider taking a risk. And they probably won't even then because its too profitable to repeat a formula, i.e. Marvel.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Darko posted:

Hes black and white people overemphasize black features when doing art because photography is set up for white people.

Uh all these examples deemphasize his characteristics. Try again troll

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, because he fully escapes at the point that he jumps into the hole.

It doesn’t matter how fast he is inside the hole, because the escape is already over.

euphronius posted:

Going to hyperspace has nothing to do with speed

It’s exiting the stage.

This clearly is not the case, or the cruiser in The Last Jedi would not have passed through the First Order fleet. There is absolutely an element of acceleration (and deceleration) to hyperspace. You can see this visually in the Original films as ships seem to decelerate out of hyperspace.

Ships don't merely blink into existence, they're clearly in motion.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Oh, is that what happened when the light gray smear became a dark gray smear

The entire thing has such a weird rear end lighting and calibration, I cannot understand why they made it so purposefully ugly except to show how *~*dark*~* the film was thematically

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It's hard to get cardio without legs

Is lie!!!! Rowing machine!!!!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

sassassin posted:

Ray Park is 53 years old.

He looked it in Solo, too. I thought for a second they got Peter Stormaire to put on the makeup.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right: it’s multi-functional in ways entirely related to vision. The Fetts not only have this ‘eagle-eye’, but literal eyes in the back of their heads (or, rather, on top).

This is why the common observation that Fett doesn’t really do anything falls short. Fett is always quietly observing everything with his insectile/robotic gaze. That’s why he’s grouped together with those other guys.

But that’s just the antenna/sensor. Otherwise, the helmet is a dubious bucket that exists mainly to make him look squinty.

Lol

This is a tasty nugget

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The ruler of the planet being assassinated very probably contributed to the instability that led to the planet changing its name.

Nothing ever indicates Jabba rules Tattoine
He is a mere gangster

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

yeah its like there wasnt much thought put into plot elements and world building before they just copy-pasted from wikipedia synopsis of the OT to make TFA

to johnsons credit he played with those elements, even if it ended up disappointing and recursive and stupid as gently caress

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I said come in! posted:

She's not so long as this exists

that doesnt exist

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Slutitution posted:

I just think TLJ is a pile of poo poo on par with the prequels.

No, its bad, but its beautiful and everyone is really good at acting and Adam Driver just owns the movie. The only pleasure in the prequels is McGregor and that's just not enough

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fart City posted:

Good points. And I had completely forgotten about the completely unnecessary voiceover narration in Rey's vision. Yikes.

She's technically in a dialogue with Kylo Ren in her hut.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

but theyre both bad in sorta but not really different ways

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

valerian blows, just a garbage cast
nice design as expected

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Fascinating deleted scenes from ROTJ regarding Luke being trained in lightsaber combat by Yoda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXI_LT42KY

this is really cool.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The prequels, except for Solo, are good.

they are not and this desperate revisionism is sad

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Do you know what thread you're in?

i must speak truth to power!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

theyre waiting for ewan to look older but not old so we can have more dumb adventures on stupid desert planet that no one gives a poo poo about

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

what story do you tell about obi wan on the stupid desert planet that no one cares about? is he gonna fight tusken raiders that were planning a raid on lukes home. or negotiate water prices with the local magistrate with the force. or maybe he fell in love with a local stripper and became an alcoholic when she got eaten by a sarlacc or something. who gives a poo poo.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

actually id like to see that last one. obi wan loses his virgnity to a twilek dancer. ive had many dreams that start that way. i awake with messy pants

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

teagone posted:

I still have hope that Rey's gonna make a saber staff thing.

you mean mauls double sided dildo? idk what a saber staff thing looks like
nah

if anyone is gonna have funky weapons itll be the knight of ren (WTF DOES THAT NAME MEAN) but i dont think theyre saber-users?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

teagone posted:

Nah, I was thinking something like this:

this dumb and pointless, the bottom cant block a saber

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

High Lord Elbow posted:

What are those boobs even made of

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

for fan work thats really impressive. the duel in the original is a dry fart.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

There were motion-interaction parts of Gollum that looked bad, like juddery. But his closeups were phenomenal and still look great.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

younglings is a made up word

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Zoran posted:

Isn’t that what the blasters already do?

pew pew guns shoot these weak little turd beams that barely shock folks. like leia got shot by one and only had an achey shoulder. lightsabers burn with the inferno heat of hell trapped within them. except lukes in rotj during the jabba escape scene at the point it was on the Low setting and acted more like a pole or rod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

lightsaber fight in the vacuum of space
sounds dumb enough