Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Why is it impossible they figured out how to work actual non meteoric iron? That poo poo is like, everywhere, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Bronze Age Collapse was merely the wrath of Yahweh and the sea people were misunderstood angels wreaking havoc on the heathen lands.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

Very weird that a bunch of people on a random comedy website message board are super knowledgeable about the bronze age.

if you've been paying attention to this beloved forum you might notice that we have a few threads going back a few years talking about the sea people because it's drat cool mystery history

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Christians and jews outright refused to acknowledge the divinity of imperial cults. The Jews were also keen to throw the romans out of Israel, and Christians were trying to actively evangelize in the empire, pulling warm bodies and therefore money away from the imperial cults and the other temples on the pantheon that ultimately funneled cash and grain and all that poo poo back into the hands of the state.

They both threatened the welfare of the roman state and were persecuted for it.

Christians discovered the power of martyrdom and eventually wrestled control of the state away by a few lucky conversions.

this doesn't have much to do with the bronze age collapse, which was the wrath of Yahweh upon the heathen cultures of the Mediterranean.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That Robot posted:

Yeah Inanna/Ishtar rules. She’s one of my favorite mythological entities because she doesn’t give a gently caress and parties all the time.

It's entirely unsurprising that typically non-spiritual people are easily enticed by hedonistic cults

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What's this?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blue Star posted:

From what I know, Atlantis isnt something that anyone really believed in. Even at the time, it was just an allegory that Plato came up with and everyone knew it. I think he was using it as a device to contrast with his idea of a perfect Athens. Like, Atlantis was super advanced and powerful but they werent virtuous like the Athenians were, and the Athenians end up defeating them because the gods are on their side, so Atlantis sinks beneath the waves. All of the thinkers and philosophers knew that Atlantis was just something Plato came up with, all through the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. Im not sure when that changed but I think in the 19th century, when archeology was starting to become a thing, less knowledgeable folks started to make poo poo up about how Atlantis was totally real and Atlanteans founded the Mayans, the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, etc. and they had psychic spiritual powers. But that all came from "modern" people, not ancient times.

uhh, over those centuries, the context for that story got lost, and people start asking "was there really a city state on an island that sank into the ocean?" which is a cool question to ask in an emerging field like Archaeology.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

:qq: christians and jews wouldn't co-exist with a pagan state of lead drinking retards :qq:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nobody imagines what their oils and hands can do to things., but it really is profound, especially with older things.

Just reading an old copy of dune, the copy I have is from 1984 and has a bunch of movie advertising on it lol, and just turning the page in the wrong place can fade the lettering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really don't give a poo poo what a study has said when i've witnessed the casual damage my sweat and oils have done to old books and even fresh notebook paper over the course of just minutes when I am careless.

Your body secretes oils and sweat and deposits all kinds of poo poo that will easily dissolve or otherwise react with really old human artifacts. Get out a sheet of writing paper and set your hand on it for half an hour and get back to me on its lack of mutation. And don't touch anything that could be considered a loving artifact lol

• Locked thread