Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got a keyboard kit but forgot to get switches I guess? Ordered a bunch of them and then I have to figure out how it actually assembles. I hope I remembered to get a hot-swap board…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

well if you have any issues with soldering a board, I have no qualms with building it for you for free.
Just pay shipping both ways.

Out of curiosity, what board is it?

that's a very kind offer! I can do basic soldering, I'm just impatient (and not very skilled, but that's what practice is for)

it's just a kit off AliExpress to get started with: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001790617202.html with these keycaps: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004347380092.html

I also got this keycap set, but my daughter is threatening me with pain if I put them on the computer. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004568944999.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roosevelt posted:

i am not skilled enough to do blank keys

yeah, I think I'd be slowly swapping them in as I get better at it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

But i don't play the MMO that i wanted a numpad for

no more 14? alas

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

still on 14, quit daoc (wanted the numpad for group targeting). fear not

on 14 you need numpad-0 for activating the thing that’s closest to you but hidden by a crowd of jerks! along with the rest of the numpad you can power through things like handing in greens to the GC or such

use the power! (or get a separate numpad like I did, so I can grab it when I need it and otherwise live the TKL life)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jesus christ, the keyboards slack channel at work linked some BFCM sales and I ended up with $600 in a cart. time to close those tabs and get some sleep, hoo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

I recently bought a Keychron Q10 and it's drat near my endgame. 75% Arisu, got my F-row, got my arrow keys, got a volume knob in the top left. My only real issue is no right Ctrl key, and I do use several right handed Ctrl and other key shortcuts. Feels like there is room for it in the bottom right, too. They just chose not to put one in.

I can't find a Q10 kit for sale anywhere right now, it's nuts.

Also sort of nuts: Woot has a 60% analog keyboard up for pre-order now. https://next.wooting.io/wooting-60he

Oh, they had a full-sized one already: https://next.wooting.io/wooting-two-he

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 30, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

you jest, but

unicomp pc122

you could fit so many more keys and knobs on that case

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

big knob top left and a wide LCD on the top right would be dank

couple of these bad boys top left for controlling which bluetooth device is active, or switching layers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nice

FB had a huge blade switch wired to USB somehow that was used a few times for product launches

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

Keychron has the barebones Q10 with a knob in black available right now: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40247689674841

Oh, gently caress me. They're sold out, but you can get the barebones in Purple now, too. My wife is going to want one.

Yeah, I went for the black but the purple was real tempting. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh, Wooting != Woot

the tone of the copy was similar enough that I fooled myself for a while. in hindsight not quite sarcastic enough

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

what are we liking for standalone macro pads? im gettin my stream back together and want a scene switcher for slobs, and don't want to pay $200 for a fancy board with fifteen tiny monitors

get a numpad? you can rebind most of them to whatever you want with drivers or firmware

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

ive found a couple but most of the reviews say "not actually programmable"

idk if i'm super keyed (heh!) up about running autohotkey or whatever. i just want something i can bind f13-f24 or w/e to

EPOMAKER SKYLOONG SK21 Numpad with PBT Keycaps, RGB Backlit, Type-C Interface, Fully Programmable (Gateron Optical Brown, Black) https://a.co/d/iB8Bl8P

I have this (different keycaps), can program it all out with multiple layers, everything but the fn key

I think on the stuff like pc122 f13-f24 are just shift+(f1-f12), no?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

thanks subjunctive i just ordered this which is sick as hell

oh yeah! I’m doing a blue-grey thing right now but I ordered a hammer-and-sickle keycap that will make me revisit things

Midjack posted:

i had one of these before i got the lfkpad and two things i didn't like about it. first, it just straight up stopped working after a month. second, it seems to have a mems microphone built into it, ostensibly to allow the leds to react to sound but i really don't like having mics in my keyboard.

“alexa, disable keyboard microphone”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

help my q10 arrived and I put switches in it but now I need to find a keycaps set that has the alice space bar and shift sizings, and ideally the extra 'b'. what search terms do I want for this?

(ideally they're doubleshot pbt with the icons on the front of the keys, but I could upgrade to that later)

E: switches are "Clickiez 40g" https://zealpc.net/products/clickiez?variant=39379354026048

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

40g? Those'll activate if you look at them funny.

yeah, I also got some 70g ones to try as well.

Kvantum posted:

I'm using the Cerakey ceramic caps

well of course that's a thing. might be heavy enough to trigger the 40gs themselves, heh

did you get those extra keys from Cerakey, or mix and match from other stuff?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

found some alice-friendly sets to mix and match and swap around like fashion

I guess this is how my hypomania works now, huh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

of course people mod switches

with respect to “key profile”, the q10 is listed at having OSA profile, and my newly ordered key caps are Cherry. is this going to work fine, or did I just accidentally buy things for the next keyboard?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh yeah, I’ve heard about lubing and have seen cute little brushes for it! maybe something about films or something too?

if I took apart my switches I would lose essential parts of half of them and I didn’t purchase with that in mind

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the Keychron OSA profile keys aren’t listed as compatible with the q10, oddly. maybe just a web site error

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t love linear switches, but I ordered that analog keyboard from Wooting so I guess I’ll see how that goes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

NGL that switch name's a little horny for me

you love it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mmo mice are great, they need to make mechanical ones

this is the input endgame though (I’ve never gotten around to setting mine up properly): https://www.azeron.eu/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll happily compete with you in a huge-thumb-off, but I basically treat it like a bigger dpad and get used to sequences of placement for ability chains. I’d love to be able to build my own with a separate middle button from mouse wheel which I can never click without also scrolling, pick the activation force for different buttons, lube and film my switches

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Got the key caps in today so I finally have a usable Q10. Now thinking about a 60% one to use with my work laptop, once I get that part of the desk re-arranged.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

was going to go to bed, but instead I decided to set up a qmk development environment and read about lots of crazy macro hackery

(I also might need a wrist wrest with this q10, it's pretty tall)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uh oh, loaded my first customized firmware onto the q10 and it's really fun (it would be more fun if `qmk flash` worked and I didn't have to use the QMK Toolbox app)

this won't go anywhere good I'm sure

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nudgenudgetilt posted:

my only beef with keychron is they still haven't provided a way to gently caress with the rgb leds from your host system. i have my laptop keyboard pulse different colors based on various notificaitons/conditions and wish i could do the same on the desktop

you could do this with QMK firmware because it can receive raw HID data from the host and act on it…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t see any support for k2 in the main QMK repository, so I’m not sure. sorry…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got the orange-and-grey from Drop too, with bone alphanumerics, love them

my gk21s numpad is hosed up somehow. if I tap keys quickly, like rolling my fingers 3-2-1 or 6-5-4 it outputs 1-2-3 or 4-5-6 (or 5-4-6). there's also a bit of a delay in response, and if I tap 0000 I'm very likely to drop a keypress

I can't find updated firmware for it to try, but it happens on both my Win 11 machine and my Linux one, via both bluetooth and USB

anyone know what I might be able to do about this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

good old QK_BOOT

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

i want to order one of these so bad

I have one but I haven’t set it up properly. was hoping to really enter the matrix in FFXIV before I took a break from it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

how long did it take to deliver? it feels like theres some JIT manufacturing goin on. Is the build quality decent?

few weeks I think. build quality seems good and they’ll give you the models to 3D print parts if you want to adjust them

it’s just a lot to learn and my brain is weak

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

yeah im a huge sucker for weird input devices so I fully acknowledge that it will 98% chance never be more than a weird thing I own but i really want one

I hear ya

I still have a Razer Hydra and a gen-1 Leap Motion thing in my office closet, I think along with some hosed-up Grifta modular gamepad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Midjack posted:

if you get one get it from amazon so you can get it refunded if it's broken, keychron's customer service is legendarily terrible.

I didn’t know this, but so far my q10 has been perfect (other than me still needing to figure out how to bind something as numlock; need to read the QMK source more deeply)

got a shipping notification for my analog Wooting keyboard the other day. hoping I have time to hack analog car steering into cyberpunk or something I play

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kickstarter still has a ton of indie TTRPG stuff that actually ships

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess Cerakey shipped but I didn’t fill out my backer survey for some reason so probably a couple of weeks until I get mine. excited!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

I'm hoping I finally get my stretch goal keys so I have actual spacebars for my Keychron Q10. Love the caps though.

yeah I'm thinking about putting them on my Q10 but I forget if I ordered enough extra keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the QMK/VIA programming isn’t really worth it for Genshin Impact farming macros or whatever but layers are pretty nice to have especially if you’re using anything smaller than 101