Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

blowfish posted:

I kinda want someone to make a chiclet style keyboard with expensive mechanical switches just to see the nerdrage

id use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

blowfish posted:

i don't understand the concept of typing without bottoming out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

has anyone called him the tom friedman of technology yet?

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dodoman posted:

Don't do what I did and get reds on your first keyboard. They actuate with miniscule amounts of pressure which leads to thousands of typos as you brush your fingers on the wrong keys.

what should i buy if i feel this way about the browns i have but like them otherwise?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

what's tainted about it

jeff atwood was involved with designing it and hes kind of a dumbass

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

yeah but like, how did that affect the product

i dunno, i have one and like it more than the wasd ones because i like the backlight.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

no one has used clears and preferred browns

my coworker thinks clears feel like membrane keyboards

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

freaking Other Country poo poo? lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

what the gently caress is this goddamn cursed keyboard

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I want a keychron keeb

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how long did it take you to re-learn how to type on one of those keebs. it seems like itd be basically impossible for me but my fingers dont usually stay on the home row.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have a jeff fatwood code keyboard with brown switches. its ok. i wish they were blue switches so i could be even louder and more annoying.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not enough good keycaps with shine-through legends imo. i do like that about the code keeb

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have a code keyboard and like it but wish i could find pbt osa or dsa keycaps with shine through for it. seems like they dont really exist tho

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

that's really pretty

hey, this is probably the right place to ask: where should I be looking if I want modern keyboard quality but some kind of grotesquely 1980s depravity? looks like my boss is going to walk over with his coffee and cigarette and be annoyed that I don't have an ashtray, maybe has a billion keys, and when the keys light up it either means there's a soviet missile launch or there's so much smog all our stuff broke

a couple cheaper options

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q3-pro-qmk-via-wireless-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40469149548633

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q3-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40036144218201

model f isn't much cheaper than the above but does model m type boards
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/store/

unicomp is worth looking at too https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 18, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

oh poo poo

gotta find some 80s style clunky ugly (but not actually ugly) shinethroughs, and I guess a numpad to put on the left to fulfill my desire for BUTTONS

good luck op:

post hole digger posted:

i have a code keyboard and like it but wish i could find pbt osa or dsa keycaps with shine through for it. seems like they dont really exist tho

report back if you find any

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

blues are awful

youve got a model m there huh? you'll be so profoundly disappointed with the click (not clack) of blues

wait really? why do you say that I have a code keyboard with browns and was thinking about getting one with blues next.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i am going to buy a keychron q3 and some box jade switches and build a new keyboard i think. make something that i will get yelled at for using too late at night.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i bought them from dvinikey.com which i dont know anything about, but had the model i wanted in stock and everyone says buying direct from keychron is bad if you ever need to actually talk to someone.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hmmm. i dont think i like clicky switches. not too sure about these box jades.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ok, they sound a lot better with the keycaps on. just pressing them on their own they sound a lot like mouse clicks though lol. this will work, but i think what i really want is just very heavy linears. maybe later.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

you see what I mean about the click tho huh

yeah i think its probably just an issue with clicky switches in general. these box jades are nice -- they feel good to type on and arent wobbly, but the click doesnt sound anything at all like an old model m, yeah. it sounds like a million mice clicking at once when im typing. i like how heavy the springs are and how snappy the key response is though. im also not constantly bottoming out on every key when i type like my old one. a+ feel on these things. the sound probably wont bother me enough to do anything about it for a while though.

Subjunctive posted:

you don’t return keyboards, you just grow your parts stash

this seems very true already

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

wife just came in to the office and said "is that your keyboard making that noise? i thought you were just clicking your mouse really fast" :xd:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

got a new keycap set on now and im liking what i got. kind of pingy, esp the spacebar, but feels good to type on. this message is longer than it needs to be just so i can keep typing.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the roller is cool.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

ive been eyeing up some keychron after someone here recommended one

my son has this red dragon 60% and it's pretty nice

and so I was looking at the keychron tkl. I am very keen on it

except this red dragon that was very cost effective? its got pbt caps. and I do NOT thinking the keychron does :qq:

The stock sa profile caps for the q series keychron boards are pbt. Not sure about the others tho

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 30, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I was looking at this board, it looks so good

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYKCH1006/Keychron-C1-TKL-Wired-Mechanical-Keyboard-Normal-P

which, has browns. you can get reds tooo... unfortunately not blacks or clears

OR and this one might be even better

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYKCH1136/Keychron-V1-C3-V1-ANSI-75-Layout-84-Key-Frosted-Bl

this.. has pbt :q: which sounds good

weirdly the first image on that link looks like a different board

wired ... goood
has a knob .. good
has arrow keys ... good
pbt ... good

ya i like the look of the keychron retro colorway boards a lot, and prefer tkl over 75%. i wanted a q3 in retro and could never find one. the second listing is confusing. they do make a v1 with and without a knob but the listing says knob so i'd assume thatd be the one you get? the pcb is hotswappable too so you could always change the switches later if you wanted to. i have those same keycaps and they are pretty nice as well. nice texture to them.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yeah I do see that you can swap them out, and I think long term I’ll do that

then the only thing about this board that won’t be perfect is that it doesn’t have a end key. it has a home key, but no end 😭:cry::qq:

75%... ftl

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I just ordered the 80% version of the board I just got. straight up tkl

I use home and end just too much to compromise ✊🥹

Welcome home, brother.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

psiox posted:

I need a new keyboard. Cared too hard and got an Ergodox EZ that honestly hasn't been great for me, but at least a previous employer paid for it. Anyone that formerly was a model m kid have anything they swear by? (look, i literally grew up with a model m and am mad it's a hipster thing now)

there are model m repros you can get that arent too $$$ otherwise the closest thing youll get is heavy box switches on a custom/semi-custom keeb which arent quite the same. what part of the model m experience are you looking to re capture

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kvantum posted:

Go look at Keychron.com and look at all of their various layout options. Find one you like and then if you're in the US, go buy it from Amazon.com because Keychron's support is terrible outside of China.

Sadly, most Keychron boards are not available with especially clicky switches, so you might want to factor in another $20-$80 for replacement switches, depending on how niche you want to go. Kailh makes a bunch of different options for clicky switches in their Box series. Box Navy are probably the stiffest and loudest, but there are a plethora of choices.

This is good advice I run a q3 with box jades

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I was looking at that yesterday it rules

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

they have started giving the gimmick tinymonitor keyboards flip-up

hm.

netbooks are back baby

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i mean, im not buying one, i just think it looks cool. and keyboard is the right size and scope for that level of gaudy, dorky stupidity. 'truck people see me sitting in in public' is obviously a different thing entirely.

the other big difference is the keyboard's actually shipping.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

no u can’t take it back you said you want one

well-read undead posted:

yeah sorry phd but this is true and it also means you want a cybertruck and to hug and kiss elon musk, sorry bud

no.... my stellar reputation.... dragged through the mud...
    /
:negative:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

having to break in the switches every month 🥴

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have a keyboard with box jades, and while i like it quite a bit, id like some switches that feel very similar but less loud for night-typing. maybe box burnt oranges? idk. not sure i want to go down the rabbit hole again.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i got some nice pbt cherry profile caps right now. no complaints. definitely feel nicer than abs or whatever the other one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

da op did call them abs