Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

whats the pause break button for anyway

or scroll lock for that matter

do they do anything atm

last time i used scroll lock it was because it did something special in excel

pause/break i think worked in dos games or something

it's good that there's lots of people experimenting with what we need, don't need, or can get by with a chord for on modern keyboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bobbilljim posted:

the keyboard with the lowest latency is the Apple low profile keyboard

because they time from when they key starts moving to the usb event

so if your key only moves like 2mm total it goes faster

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

schranz kafka posted:

i can't believe they're still producing those with not only a windows specific key, but a windows key with the old logo. wtf

new tooling costs money

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dick traceroute posted:

has anyone tried to build something like an ergodox with kinesis style bowls?
i want a two piece kinesis bowl keyboard with clears, and I don't think it exists

http://joedevivo.com/2017/05/20/building-a-qmk-dactyl.html

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

gamers actively want cables due to ~latency~ (see also: the first serious wireless gaming mouse coming out literally every year for the last decade)

wireless mice are good because the cable tends to break

wireless keyboards are like 99% pointless because you don't move them that far from the computer unless you're an htpc type

and tv exists so you don't need an htpc so…

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

i've never broken a mouse cable ever. buy a mouse bungee

I quit breaking mouse wires after I switched to wireless mice

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

Give it a few weeks. You're feeling your body unlearn bad habits and it's annoying at first, but 100% worth it.

ya I took a month cold turkey to get back to 100 wpm on my ergodox

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

schranz kafka posted:

the main problem with the kinesis is other people seeing you use it

know better people

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the kinesis is so awesome looking it was literally a prop in men in black

alien technology in ur office

which was the “spaceship keyboard” in parks and rec (which is much better than men in black)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i only took my macbook pro up north for christmas and i'm jonesin' to type on my ergodox infinity with blues again

also i got a new chair to sit in while i type waiting for me at home

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Poopernickel posted:

do you have a butt-touch bar mbp?

no, just the touchbar over the keyboard, only asus or acer would put the touchbar on the computer's butt

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thing is these shits are massively expensive, its like $300-$600 for a decent one and even then you might have to wait, weeks, realistically months, for group buys to go down and poo poo, and probably even assemble it yourself (im a babby who has barely ever soldered electronics)

if it’s anything like the ergodox infinity the soldering is very easy, that one is all through-hole, even the tiny fiddly LEDs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i just have grace of an elephant and <5 minutes of soldering experience in my life

same, and then I soldered a keeb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

we had to watch the Symbolics keyboards like hawks at Vintage Computer Festival: Pacific Northwest this weekend

fortunately having five systems running and usable meant that people sat down and actually used the keyboards rather than just ogle them

one person was taking macro pics though, and was gently reminded that there was cool stuff on the screen too

in before RUBOUT

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

were you there when we were projecting from S-Graphics on the big screen? that was cool.

that’s from toorcamp 2016, the quaaludes guy brought his whole cluster and set up the “people’s computer history museum”

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

ah, cool, he’s been trying to talk me into coming to toorcamp

just gave him an IBM PS/2 X.25 Coprocessor Card to use in the wack-rear end network there too

go, I’m going and I always have fun at computer camp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not sure i could ever go from qwerty, or want to do so. im not sure ive even seen a dvorak board in my life. moe of just thinking along the lines of whether if there are real advantages for getting, say, ergodox

I like ergodox because I can arrange keyboard halves separately so I don’t have to bend my wrists

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
ergo boards are a pain in the good fps, doom, because it has more weapons than buttons near your left hand

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

r u ready to WALK posted:

Won't training yourself to use that abomination completely gently caress up your ability to type on a regular qwerty keyboard with a sane layout

yeah it took me a month to get to speed on my ergodox infinity and then another two weeks to be able to switch between it and a normal keyboard

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

yellow borders posted:

yeah this is the way im doing it with my aek and being able to remap keys is worth the extra effort of putting it all together. also if you wana un-lockswitch your caps lock it has support for that too

can the teensy or w/e drive the caps-lock light or is the aek pre-having that controlled by software

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

how can you not bottom out on either of them, they both actuate at essentially the bottom

yeah i really like the current mbp keyboard when it works, genuinely feels great and it's not like i don't bottom out every other keyboard i use

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
installing a microphone in my keyboard and piping it through an EQ to my amplifier and speakers BMW style

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jony neuemonic posted:

yeah blues sound like a machine gun if you get a good type on.

yeah I’m pretty sure nbsd is one of those people that can do all their work on an iPad, would explain why they’re such a dipshit about keyboards

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

idk how anyone lives without function keys at a minimum

by never hitting 'em

what I don't understand is how anyone lives without number keys

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

This is the first truly nice keyboard I've ever purchased and I love it a lot. The keys change to aquamarine when you press them and fade back to purple. It's completely over the top in every way and it owns.

Corsair K70 w/ Cherry blue switches

how're the third street saints doing these days anyways?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have completely forgotten what a numpad is at this point.

it's that thing on my windows computer that puts the spacebar off-center`

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Yes, Cherry Browns are the ones. If you still think they're too loud after purchasing the keyboard, you can install 0-rings (just buy them on Amazon) to further silence the keys.

o-rings, not 0-rings

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Grassy Knowles posted:

they're an aspiring network technician and picked up the wrong book on routing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jimmyjams posted:

imo one rsi thing you can try that is usually overlooked is some kind of fingerless gloves

offices get kept cold as poo poo for no reason and if your hands are cold and you're typing all day it can gently caress em up real quick

keep my office set at 76°F

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Why are there no Function keys?

I'm just imagining having to run a 5250 emulator with that... :gonk:

poo poo there's even less escape than a modern mbp

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Is there a good PC trackpad?

I think windows makes it impossible to have a good trackpad

scrolling is based on "lines" in the majority of apps, and the idea of horizontal scrolling is just not there at all

there's some speed threshold for what counts as a line so if you scroll slower than that it just never scrolls

dell ships trackpads that are literally half the size of good ones

and while we're on it

windows has dog poo poo support for keyboards too, you can't switch ctrl and caps-lock on a per-keyboard basis (just os-wide) and you either have to trust some registry hack or a third-party program

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
dell can't even make a loving screen hinge that works

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao there's a guy at work in another office that has a super loud blue clicky keyboard and gets away with it as he has his own office but is the scourge of conference calls everywhere

lol I got called out in a four-person call for mine, like sorry these notes aren’t gonna take themselves

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

this is high garbage

turn your monitor on

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vomik posted:

yeah rpn is fantastic if you’re doing complex functions and what not. certainly a million times better than doing interim calculations, storing poo poo in memory, and trying to recall the proper values.

I guess if you’re really good at it it’s fine for arithmetic but not worth learning it for that alone

if RPN is the difference between successfully calculating something or not you should be using a spreadsheet or a math program or scipython instead of a calculator

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rear end posted:

What's wrong with using a regular rear end fuckin keyboard. Why would I pay $350 for a parted keyboard with a tiny rear end spacekey? Is it really that much extra work to move your hands around? It's a horrible expensive gimmick.

dsyp

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

any good 40% bluetooth keyboards I can throw in my backpack to crush text messages on the go?

it gotta be lightning the other 60% of the time?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

It takes a month to get used to, but once you get over the hump it's worth it.

yeah, go cold turkey, took me two weeks of work to get on an ergodox and then another two weeks of time-sharing to move back and forth

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fib posted:

On my ergodox at home, I have a key combo that rotates the keys on the left half by one column so that wasd is in a comfortable place.

lol, I need to do something like this for when I play doom, since 6 and 7 are far away I never use the plasgun or bug

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just use the switches that came with my keyboard

same

they're blues and i had to install them myself, but same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

gotta have those low-slung down on the pants, gunslinger style. otherwise you just look like an uptight nerd.

they have to be above the waist so they don’t jostle while they walk on a treadmill