Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just moved to a keychron k2 from an es-87 and never knew how much my eyes hated me for using an unbacklit keyboard in a dark room

only beef with the new one is the lovely usb cable they ship with puts my usb ports in reset loops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

did you do your own lego bit? i kind of want to get keychron q1 later this year and assemble something to my own taste, so i wonder what’s their quality like

this was fully assembled and ready to use. solid build quality so far, but I'm less than a week in.

I built an ergodox from kit a few years back and that satisfied a lifetimes worth of desires to assemble keyboards.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

huh, was it that bad? was your kit the one that requires soldering?

yeah, it was one of the early early kits. it came as a pair of PCBs, bags of switches and other components, and a bunch of acrylic you stacked into a case.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Smythe posted:

I have a Unicomp tkl

I bought a unicomp like 10 years ago and was really disappointed with the build quality. despite supposedly coming off the old lexmark line it just felt like a cheap knock-off. burs left over from injection molding, odd coloring, etc

have they stepped up their game at all? prices don't look all that far off from just getting older ibm/lexmark hardware off ebay

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Might buy another just as a spare.

ew

if you're going to go big enough to have a numpad, don't skimp on the extra half inch it takes to have a traditional numpad and arrow keys that 1) aren't cramped and 2) are in alignment with the other bottom two rows

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you can have perfectly valid reasons for being gross

doesn't make it any less gross

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you just broke all my preconceptions of kinesis users

where are the piles of diet coke bottles that customarily surround a kinesis?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I will never understand people who use non-qwerty layouts, you're almost guaranteed to have to switch back and forth between layouts and break your brain

but then how do you feel superior to everyone around you?

if you don't use a kinesis with colemac layout to drive your emacs in tmux in xterm in xmonad workflows, are you even poo poo?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

I’m now an iPad Mini owner and want a comparatively compact portable keyboard design to pair it with – what class of design would I want to look for?

65% low profile?

Keychron K7 if you're looking for model recommendations

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

poor control key, crammed in the wrong place

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

2350 for the version in that pic. 1600 for the plain one

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

you jest, but

unicomp pc122

did unicomp ever get their QC game up to snuff? in the early days it was basically one dude operating the old lexmark factory using cheap plastics

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

wtf is a caps lock? are you all talking about the upper left ctrl key?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

porcelain caps. perfect for posting.

i'm posting from the porcelain now

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my only beef with keychron is they still haven't provided a way to gently caress with the rgb leds from your host system. i have my laptop keyboard pulse different colors based on various notificaitons/conditions and wish i could do the same on the desktop

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

you could do this with QMK firmware because it can receive raw HID data from the host and act on it…

can you put qmk on any k2? i see https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k2-pro-qmk-via-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40336733700185 exists, but i have a couple of these guys instead: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k2-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=31063869751385

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

that's the crowd that bought the Model M tooling from unicomp right?

when did that happen? afaik unicomp is still churning out trash

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

echo 'echo sleep 0.1 >> ~/.bashrc' >> ~/.bashrc`

loving evil

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

we usually did cron jobs with sounds -- hasselhoff songs, klaxons, etc.

i think the most evil we got was the random offset cron job that played gsm interference noise

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

sagebrush you should know this: is there a filament you can print stuff with and then just put in a sand mold and cast in aluminum or brass? like where the plastic just evaporates into the sand like lost foam casting does?

wax filament

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my keyboard brings all the nerds to the yard

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bought a c3 pro for work. pretty happy so far, but i really need a nice keyboard tray

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

apparently my sister lives a few blocks from the old lexmark plant where model m is still made. i wonder if they do tours

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pinball knocker for every key stroke

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i am gonna wire this up when i get some lab space again

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

another week another keychron

my first wired only one. mostly a backup slash alternative keyb for the gamin pc

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBWJ9SKX?smid=ASKDIKGC8TC4&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

if the deal stops just know that this mf was $27.99 lol. ridiculous deal for what u get.

also red backlight HACKER MODE

bought one of those just last week for 35. first thing i did was swap out the red caps for blacks. after that it's a solid office keyboard

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

some company let you order cases COD in the late 90s. i ordered the most bitchin lime green case for $50, planning on spending my birthday money on it. it ended up being delivered on a day i was at a camp or some poo poo, so dad rejected the delivery of my new case, not knowing what it was

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i like it better like this

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

obvs typing hbag/sagebrush fanfic

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

first two lines or so of navy seals copypasta

i like that you test keyboards by *typing* copypasta

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bought a k7 only to realize it has no tilde or backtick

why the gently caress would you make a keyboard with no tilde or backtick?!??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, ok, this is tolerable with the fn keys