Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

woodch posted:

Could it be a Steinberger and not a keytar?

Edit: Like Eddie's 5150-era version:

Double Edit: No, it looks like a keytar, lol.

My Steinberger is probably stupid music poo poo at this point with the stickers (gamer, lol) and mods I have on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Could you post some pictures of it because that sounds awesome.

Well since you asked for it:

My Steinberger Spirit, because I'm too poor to afford a high end model (lol gently caress that); I bought this off eBay for under $300 I believe. The guy who sold it to me sold me an acrylic wallmount with it, apparently these things are really rare, so rare that guy messaged me half a year later asking if I'd sell the mount back to him, turns out he's the founder of some conservative thinktank or some poo poo.

As for the mods:
- The headstock is aftermarket, it's a string adapter so I can use any brand of string with the guitar without having to be double-ball ended... this doesn't really work because the locking mechanisms just break thinner strings. :(
- The two Humbuckers are Seymour Duncan Black Winters, because I play Black Metal stuff and because the case for the pick-ups look like a lovely Black Metal EP cassette tape (seriously, it loving owns). The middle pick up is still connected and sounds like poo poo.
- Dunlop strap locks, I loving love these things along with the Levy's No. 1 stretch strap.
- White volume and tone knobs because why not, same goes for the orange tip pick-up selector.
- The trem bar was second hand on ebay, the guitar didn't come with one and I couldn't find black sadly.
- Pick holder and tuner are double sided taped to the side because why not.
- The stickers because I had them lying around.

Now to the major mod:
- I wanted a killswitch like my Buckethead LP has, so my friend's step-dad hooked it up for me, he had to move the output jack to the bottom of the guitar, move the volume knob to the lower side where output jack used to be and then drill in the hole for the arcade switch that was placed in the area where the volume knob was. He did such a god drat good job at it and he's an electrician and knows nothing about being a guitar tech. I paid him with a bottle of Don Julio.

I also got it signed by Marty Friedman at the end of August before a show:

There's my stupid music poo poo guitar, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I honestly love it to death, it's complete lack of weight doesn't gently caress my back up like other guitars do (I have a bad back).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks guys, I'm surprised my Franken'berg would be received well.

Rifter17 posted:

Steinbergers are awesome and dumb at the same time. Ned Steinberger was literally a furniture maker before he started designing basses with Stuart Spector. He didn't play at all and was just confused that people would subject themselves to non ergonomic stuff.

Its awesome because it makes so much sense, but stupid because people are just confused if you walk out on stage with one. That said, I've looked into the bass/guitar doubleneck Spirit model before...

I agree with Steinberger's mentality, the guitar I played to death before this was an oversized Buckethead LP and while I love it, it's just so large and cumbersome. There's so much excess material and weight in standard guitars and I quickly started realizing it once my back problems were coming to light. I was looking around for other guitars that would be easier to play and actually asked the thread about Steinbergers when I found out they had cheaper models outside of their high-end stuff. "They're good but you look like a dork."

I love that for $300 I have a nice trem system that apparently is super easy to work with compared to other system and I've never played a guitar that had one but man is that poo poo loving fun. It's also opened up possibilities with my guitar arrangements which is nice. It's incredibly compact and the leg rest is awesome for when you're sitting down and you play with a Classic Guitar posture.

The one thing that sucks is the chrome whammy bar that doesn't match, I've been looking for a black one but it seems like it's not a standard sizing compared to other guitars. The bar on my guitar doesn't fit in either of the two Strats my friend has. Does anyone know where I can get one that will sure fit?

Also I kinda want to put two bars on it just to put it over the top and because it's possible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gringostar posted:

for when you have to nail the solo

If the headstock isn't a cross then they hosed up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fair Hallion posted:

Is the killswitch a certain type of arcade button (are there different types?) If I wanted to find a switch like that, what should I be searching for? thanks :)

The Muppets On PCP posted:

technically either works depending on how you wire it. the nc switch is simpler- you're just cutting the hot signal

the downside is it's basically just unplugging the guitar so you still have a hot signal going to the amp from the end of the instrument cable i.e. you can still get some hum or other noise

with a no switch you're shunting the hot signal to ground, but it causes a pop, so you need to wire in a large value resistor, which some people think affects the tone

It's a normal Sanwa button, though it's a bit smaller. When I had it installed he told me that the Switch wouldn't work, because the Switch is naturally off (it only sends input when it's pressed) so you'd have to hold the button to have the guitar make any sound, we opened up the Buckethead LP to see how it's wired or if the switch is different and found that it's the same exact Switch but it's not wired like you'd think. A regular killswitch is wired up to just cut the signal but on the Buckethead LP it's wired to the volume knob's low end, so it's not killing the signal at all but rather instantly "turning the knob to 0." We wired up the Steinberger the same way and there's no humming or pops when using it. Pretty clever.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I love the feeling of knobs digging into my thigh.

Make sure they find the hole and you won't have to deal with this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s not a Transcendent Elevated Next Level Music poo poo thread so here ya go

https://youtu.be/9VLV9S7RiiA

This is incredible, Arnold's the first man with a Jazz accent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cis autodrag posted:

i worked security at the venue he died at lol

Why does a mountainside need security?

This looks like the dopest game of Simon you'll ever play.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

YouTube comment posted:

Is there a song faster than this?

:lol:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

a few years back i saw testament with exodus and megadeth on one of those grampas of thrash tours and wound up hanging out in the smoke pit during testament's set because their amps were ungodly shrill

I saw both Testament and Exodus open for King Diamond and both sounded like poo poo, King Diamond sounded good though. The only other bands I've heard live that sounded good in the metal genre were Saxon (opening for Motorhead) and Immortal. It's a shame, everything else has been an lesson is poo poo sound and hearing loss.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shugojin posted:

Ah, the mythical Starburst coloring

I'm not even kidding but I seriously want some pink Starburst after seeing that guitar.

Also I have an Agile Fretless and it owns (I also got it signed by Immortal before Abbath split ways) but it's heavy as gently caress and I don't believe they weight relief their instruments because it's heavy as all loving poo poo. It might as well be made of cast iron. Speaking of which, Schecter just released their Abbath signature and I guess it kinda fits in here because the barbs on the tails are the worst but I kinda want it because Abbath rightfully owns:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Malaria posted:

This is how a totally normal adult male dresses

Since when the hell is one of the greatest guitarists that ever a normal person?

Also :lol: at bad Albert King knock-off. Holy poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shugojin posted:

How does the trem bit stay on, that doesn't look very stable

You tell me:

It's called the Travelcaster.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

the numa numa song posted:

How much space do you really save? It's still a big stick.

If the case is a bare minimum? quite a bit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Concatenation posted:

hi my name is karl sanders out of nile and i order my custom guitars without a volume knob to let more of the ~tone~ through

(apologies for meme format)

Is this real because jesus Christ.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Concatenation posted:

pfft call that a watermelon guitar

Holy gently caress this is beautiful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Abbath is a loving treasure.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

they got this other one with a weird moustache inlay that goes from duane allman to john waters

lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really appreciate this video because it's a pro guy just messing around at home and also he's using an office chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwpSVu4EvY

This loving owns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Malaria posted:

Mockingbird's are cool.

The stealth, aka the Chuck Schuldiner model owns though.

The single pick-up makes this, I love the simplicity.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The 80s active circuits in BC Richs designed by Neal Moser are some loving secret sauce like a motherfucker. Look at the guitars Neal Moser makes on his own now, they are definitely carrying on the tacky legacy of 80s BC Rich: https://www.nealmoserguitars.com

Lord almighty.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shugojin posted:

Apparently Gibson is suing Funko Pop over using Gibson guitar shapes on their little dolls of rock stars

I don't know what's worse, Gibson or Funko.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MrSargent posted:

I don't browse guitars too often but I saw this at GC and had to snap a picture because I didn't know what the gently caress I was looking at.

I love it.

I play a Steinberger so I kinda have to.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When I was a TA in my guitar professor's class, this older lady was taking the Intro to Guitar Class with her daughter and they had the most bizarre guitars, they had a hinge on where the neck and the body met, so the neck would fold on top of the body. The strings went completely slack and they would just shove them into the sound hole. They had custom cases with them and they packed up nicely. I have no clue what they were or who made them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Voyage-Air perhaps?

Yes, this goofy rear end thing! So strange.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What was that guitar that had the special pick-ups and knob set-up that would "tune" your guitar via computer repitching the individual strings?

Would it be possible to rip the hardware out of that and put it into another guitar? I almost want that in my Steinberger.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Concatenation posted:

Are you thinking of one or other of the line 6 variax guitars?

The stevic sig looks pretty envelope-pushing but who even needs this much functionality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0CwZHY0kM

I literally have no idea, I just remember some years ago there was a guitar that had a built-in computer that would repitch all of the strings perfectly including the intonation and it also had the ability to save tunings.

I ask because I recently started playing Rocksmith again and a lot of the content I own in it is it various other tunings and retuning all of the time sucks, locking the trem solves any problems I'd have with that thing crapping out, but I tuned down to D Standard and my light gauge strings are floppier than spent dick and it's miserable to play.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rifter17 posted:

Obviously you'd want the Auto-Tune Guitar.

PS I purposely put the official website that is stating its end of support for a guitar.

But you're probably thinking of the Line6 Variax stuff, which I've only heard of Adrian Belew putting the guts of one into his signature Parker Fly guitar.

Anime Reference posted:

Peavey AT-200?

This seems to be it; I remember the really generic shape of the guitar being as boring as can be I guess with it being discontinued and not supported anymore, investing in the tech is kinda pointless. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Weird BIAS posted:

I loathed the AT-200. At low volumes you'll still hear the actual pitch of the guitar while the output is tuned. It's the kind of thing that I almost wish you could split the signals from to make really hosed up microtonal noises with but otherwise for learning throws you off.

That's fine because I usually always have headphones or the monitors loud so I don't hear the open strings.

Anime Reference posted:

The usual suggestion is to get a Digitech Drop, which as far as I can tell is basically a Whammy minus the expression pedal.

I used to this with my Digitech Whammy and while it worked, I couldn't do anything about anything in any sort of dropped tuning or strange tuning since it couldn't do it on a per-string basis. I'm also big on having all of my guitar fuckery contain in the guitar itself, I sold all of my pedals a while ago because I just hate having all that poo poo laying around when I only used them for certain things, or for some, one track.

The Variax line of guitars seem to offer what I'm after but I don't think that poo poo will fit into my Steinberger. It also seems to do everything via the bridge and there's no way of getting that poo poo in the Steinberger either.

sigher fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 20, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

Just as a heads up, the Digitech Drop DOES work with drop tunings (for example, I use my Drop-D guitar 1 or 2 semi-tones down for when I'm with my cover band). The one downside is that strings need to be properly tuned for consistency, so having a guitar equipped with locking tuners / evertune bridge / locking trem is your best bet.

What I mean is that the Digitech Drop won't take my standard guitar to drop-anything because it's just lowering the overall sound and not by individual strings, right? My issues is that down tuning means I have to lock the trem but I love loving with it and losing that feature sucks. Also anything lower than Eb standard tuning and my 9 gauges are just too loose to play comfortably.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

kjetting posted:

Meshuggah actually recorded their latest album "live" in the studio with real amplifiers and miced drums. Of course it's still tight as gently caress because these guys are machines, but it was still pretty cool for the "godfathers" of Djent to flip off their imitators like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHYopyQTwHk

Thomas Haake is loving amazing.

As someone who can't stand Meshuggah and recorded their lovely "album" live, this is impressive since my efforts sound like complete dick.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Mic Gordon (guy who made the Doom2016 soundtrack et al) has some cool new techniques that he came up with or used on that project, like the opposite of the Rings of Saturn method where you record it at double speed then play it back to make it sound heavier and nastier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY&t=1850s

Actually he stole the idea from Marilyn Manson's producer. Also check out the video to hear about why he used a 9 string, even saying "it was the dumbest thing and that's why I used it"

That's an interesting idea but in the example sounds super lovely but the Doom 2016 soundtrack is one of the worst game soundtracks and metal albums I've ever heard.

It should have all been stolen music again. lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

You heretic!

I sincerely love the doom2016 soundtrack and think it's the best one of nearly any videogame I've ever heard. Seriously, BFG Division is heavy as gently caress and completely fits the tone of the game, as well as being brutal as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

I think it's a collection of generic djenty trash without a good riff or melody line. Remove the guitar parts and there's something of interest but once those pieces of poo poo come on, faaaaaaart. I love the game to death and I remember all of it, from the kills, weapons and levels almost by heart but I can't hum a single riff from the soundtrack. BFG Division is the same riff for 9 minutes; it's an absolute chore. I've tried listening to the soundtrack on it's own several times and I've never made it through. Then again, I wouldn't consider myself a big metalhead so it probably just isn't for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't think I'd consider myself a big metalhead either, but how can you not get down with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqMQsxbpS4U

Because it's like the laziest metal coupled with the laziest dubstep. It's just noise that doesn't go anywhere, instead rolling around in a pile of poo poo composed of power chords and rhythmic chugs on the open E string (or whatever the lowest string was tuned to). The guitar and drum parts are a djent cliché and I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that they used that program that automates Djent breakdowns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Trig Discipline posted:

I have no idea who he is and didn't realize that the guitar was supposed to be a joke.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snowy posted:

It’s not just the volume but the frequency of Sunn, it makes weird internal parts of your body start vibrating. Like your sinuses will come alive all of a sudden.

My friend loves them and went to see them and it wasn't something he could describe properly, he just said everything was just shaking no matter where the gently caress you were in the venue. He had a video from the back of the venue of a cup of water on a table somewhere and it was straight up Jurassic Park poo poo.

Sounds like a really cool thing to experience.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

Missy
October, 2001 - Feb. 1st, 2018
gently caress man, sorry. Dogbrings something so wonderful to your le but when they go they take apiece with you that you'll never get back It's rough.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I hate Disturbed but I have respect for their frontman who's like super smart and was working on a career in the medical field before doing music just because he wanted to. poo poo's dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

So does Brian May from Queen, although that's pretty common knowledge

And he definitely looks the part with that hair, straight Bach powdered wig hair.