Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Every so often a part of me thinks 'just get a PA/poweramp and use Amplitube through that' then I remember that's

A: probably more poo poo to carry
B: more variables to go wrong
C: I'm bad enough for fiddling with an amp and a couple of pedals, let alone all the stuff on there
D: WWVD (What Would Vai do?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Out of the shreddy dudes I think Satch is my favourite, he seems fairly down to earth for such a weirdo and the stuff he puts his name to gear wise is good, I'll always have a spot for my Time Machine. As I've probably said at various points, I really don't 'get' bluesy stuff but with him I find it listenable.

I saw some guy locally put up one of the Vai overdrives for some horrific price. I have a lot of respect for Vai and his 30 hr guitar workout is a great resource, I think he's like some hybrid thread mascot/punchbag.

Plus with no Vai there'd be no KoRn and I don't wanna live in that world.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Anime Reference posted:

I respect Steve Vai's skill and Passion and Warfare but the dude is a giant dingus.

He did also expose the world to Devin Townsend so the more I think about it the more I'm on board with him.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've never seen a crowd long for death that hard before

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Steve missed a trick by not coining "Good Vaibrations"

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I get accused of being Gary Numan at least once a month so if there's a market for it then I'm in.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I saw Vehement (black metal from Southsea) play in a smallish venue/pub a few weeks ago and I've not heard anything as loud yet clear as that, except maybe Anaal Nathrakh. Anything less heavy in bigger places (Ill Nino in Bristol for example was an all-bongo mix, everyone else except the vocalist was inaudible) seems to just be bassmush.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Gibson just killed off Cakewalk (Sonar).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah ross robinson had a tendency in the 90s to drown everything in multiple layers of big muffs cranked all the way up

also pretty sure at least on their first album most of the actual bass you hear is just 808 drops

There's an old interview with the bassist who said he uses parametric eq with the bass and treble turned up and "none of that mid poo poo". Pretty sure they mic'ed the strings too for even more clack.

It's pretty much intentionally another part of the drum kit rather than an instrument, Fieldy whacks the poo poo out of his bass whether he's slapping or not. There's more melodic basslines later into the discography, especially on Follow The Leader and Issues.

I used to have a K5 and it was a lovely bass with an incredible tonal range. Course idiot teen me swapped it for a Mexican Jazz Bass, they're worth loving loads now. Regrets on both a musical and financial level there, not for the first time I'm the stupid music poo poo.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That isolated bass track is hilarious, thank you.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jonny Nox posted:

From the latest sonicstate podcast I present this dumb poo poo:

I genuinely wonder how many will be fooled by this. It'll either sell thousands or like, three.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Hang drums are fun to play though. I like the concept of anyone can play this and have it sound OK, and are much better to take to something like a bbq or the beach than an acoustic if only because no one can play loving Oasis on it. Couldn't justify owning one but thankfully the hippies that do are always keen for others to have a go.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My brother got me one of the EVH d-tunas for Christmas. It doesn't fit on any of my Ibaneezers and their wacky Edge trems :saddowns:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I didn't have the heart to explain that to him, I'd been bitching about never being able to decide between standard and drop tunings and the ballache of adjusting trems a few months ago so i guess that's what gave him the idea. The Edge Zero 2 on my S series is so stable, I couldn't bear to block it. He plays too and hasn't tried a floating trem (or an Ibanez) before today, I reckon I'm gonna get a 'I just bought one you prick' text some time soon.

Clip on tuners are also the best little gadget, 'silent' tuning is ace. Until the battery runs out when you desperately need it mid set cos the A string on your Jag has suddenly decided to shift in its saddle and go over half a tone flat and you've got no way of rectifying the issue.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Ingmar terdman posted:

This thread is pretty restrained regarding Big Bends Nut Sauce

I think everyone is too busy practicing their fingering and loosening g strings.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It always weirds me out using a pitchshifter at low volumes, being able to hear the strings be in E when the output is a semitone down or whatever is just distracting as hell.

On a roughly related note when bands have a whole bunch of disparate different tunings on one album used to bug me, 16 year old me was especially miffed by the first 3 songs on the first CKY album being in Eb standard, then drop D, then E standard. At least I got quick at retuning I guess, though it cost a lot of popped strings.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jared Dines got his 18 stringer finally.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think it takes at least 3 people to unpack and a reinforced spine to play, i dread to think what that weighs

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
According to one of my lecturers many years ago, he saw Swans in the 80s and it was so loud the venue couldn't hear the telephones ringing with complaints about the volume.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Only if he drops his voice one semitone flat too

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
From a bass perspective I guess it depends what sort of music you're playing, if you're playing some sort of hammer on/pull offy type riff then it can be easier on the wrist to tune to match. Whole tone intervals or C# are ok to transpose to on a five string but Eb is definitely one I would just downtune.

if nothing else when writing or learning another player's song its often more straightforward to fret-watch. One of my (many) failed endeavours the other guitarist insisted on being in drop C whearas on the whole I prefer standard, in the end I returned my guitar to match his because it was just faster than mentally transposing anything on the other five strings down two frets. The bassist used really light strings on his 5 string and tuned it up, that tension made me wince.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 28, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
http://blog.reddogmusic.co.uk/2018/03/30/akai-the-noo/

Unironically would. If only on the strength of the name.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Round clicky buttons aren't quite as comfy barefoot as Boss-style.

In a similar vein, the click of pedals drives my dog nuts. Whammy two octaves up? Fine. Pinch harmonic trem dive Dimebag noises? Fine. Feedback, wah, high notes, fast modulation rates, you name it, it's fine, except turning on or off a clicky button suddenly means its time to bark and attack my foot.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ok so this is stupid music poo poo but not in a gear way:

Just saw Doyle (Misfits guitarist) play a set (no Misfits songs, his music is a hybrid of bad pantera and the 50s inspired swingy stuff that any sane person skips on actual Misfits records), the venue got downgraded from a 400+ capacity club to a 120ish capacity pub instead due to lack of sales. He's offering a 'VIP' package for £40 where you can meet him and get a signed photograph, as soon as the set was over he beelined back to his bus making zero eye contact with anyone. One of the support bands had a table with a dummy and a fake chainsaw that made the smoke alarms go off with its petrol fumes.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The venue was changed 3 weeks ago, no posters outside the venue at all.

The bit I'm sad I missed was apparently when his band were setting up he insisted on doing his weights in the bar area, the guy is hench for someone eligible for a pensioner bus- pass.

My mates who were supporting took every opportunity to take the piss out of £40 vip tickets.

I'm fairly certain the singer had dementia, 10 out of 11 songs were introduced with 'This is a love song... You can dance to it if you want'.

An entertaining, if very stupid night.

Also, why is it soundguys can't ever mix electronic instruments/parts in a remotely balanced way live? A couple of the bands had synths and drum machine parts (not played by anyone on stage so I guess clips launched from Ableton Live or something?) and they were so out of whack with the stage volume- this wasn't unique to this show either, it seems to be the case more often than not. The bands sound fine but as soon as anything that isn't a guitar, bass, or voice gets involved its either twice as loud or borderline unnoticeable.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Nope, Plymouth, other end of the country, thats amazing it happened all the way up there too. There were a few people waiting for the meet and greet by the bus.

Edit: my friends who were supporting for this date were jokingly offering meet and greets for £30, no takers but they sold a bunch of merch which was cool.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 7, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Not having his head and his hands to play with. Mum's from Edinburgh, I can read Scottish but not understand underlying meaning. SOOK MAH SHITE YE PRICK is self explanatory though

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 8, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=hYrN7EIeXmY

More like Jared Spineless.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its all a bit of a saga re:him and his 18 string behemoth, he got scammed by some dude claiming to be a luthier who was actually just ordering bits from China, then Orsmby stepped in actually made that for him. I think each string represents a layer of irony?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/tronical-sues-gibson-for-50-million

Man, they'll have to sell nearly a dozen guitars to cover that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
From Grimes to Dines, an in depth look at that 18 string monstrosity, some of it is made of stone wtf
https://youtu.be/IsAuzv6R8l0

I love the qualifier 'I wanted to make a somewhat decent song'

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 9, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

prefect posted:

I watched some of that guy's videos the other day -- he seems fun. Is he a dickhead, though? :ohdear:

I reckon he knows he's a ridiculous man who's lucked out getting to make a living from it. He's much less insufferable than Steve Terreberry for sure.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tearout DnB Bluegrass sounds like a missed opportunity to me.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

...and the pitch! posted:

I like the tiny dots that are still on the fretboard but very near the edge.

Yeah, noncentered dots 4 lyfe.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What does the drop d switch do?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

When you live that Kahler life:

#justfloatingtremthings

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 22, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What's the worst pedal you guys have owned? I'm putting my vote in for the Danelectro Fab Flange, it appears to also have a hidden feature of secretly being an overdrive that sounds like a fully dimed tubescreamer whenever on and the regen knob cannot be used above 0 usless you want to alternate between blown speakers and tinnitus. No wonder the person who gave it to me was trying hard not to laugh and wanted no money for it.

It may have some limited use as a dub siren I guess

Edit

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 28, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Other guitarist in my band has a dual recto. Before I joined I did audition tape things recording myself playing along to recent recordings and hot drat does the Mesa pack on Amplitube nail that stupid flubby glorious sound.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I couldn't afford 1.2 million Forint for this

So i got a tasteless strap for 3500 instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's ridiculous. Other stuff like Boss pedals, various Fender, Cort, Ibanez guitars, even Marshall heads were pretty comparable to UK prices (where I'm actually from) but that Petrucci model Mesa was just astronomical.