Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The whole rosewood v maple thing has gotta be at least 90% psychosomatic even if there was a way to quantify the difference, but you'd never have two guitars identical enough save for that one factor to test it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

hexwren posted:

I mean, if your string's not supposed to touch the wood, who gives a gently caress what the neck is made of

some woods are nice to touch, and smell, and look at, and make me feel good for buying them instead of many dozens of burritos.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BonHair posted:

Despite my earlier posts, I have very deliberately only bought maple necks after actually learning to play and care about instruments. This is entirely because I prefer the feel. I dunno if JEMs come in maple though, when I eventually get one.

I know at least the floral print ones do.

Some of the early white ones had ebony boards which is somewhat comparable.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that'd look really cool all scorched up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFQ8B4cx64

great results but 13k gbp???? does the turntable hardware he used cost that much????

edit: okay hold up yeah 10k of that is apparently the audiophile poo poo unless the 10k is separate from the 13k woodworking

muike fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 11, 2021

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BonHair posted:

I love audiophiles. What the gently caress is an artificial ground? In what universe are you modifying an amp in a house you don't live in, and how would you even hear it with the unfamiliar acoustics and talking?

But also buying higher end speakers sucks, because the seller is guaranteed to be an audiophile and be will give you well meaning advice, half of which will be good, but the other half is huffed farts. I was almost considering buying some dumb tone cables, because the things about placement and speaker size and stuff he told me made sense.

Edit: holy poo poo, that's not the full text you quoted, it gets worse. I have a hard time believing it's not a joke or a scam, it's just too over the top. But on the other hand, audiophiles.

I believe that one started out as a joke but clueless audiophiles believed in it so they pivoted to selling them for reals

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Looks like a loving tight guitar. Im really considering having my Aria Pro II LPC copy refretted cuz it has fretless wonder style frets and I hate that poo poo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wish they made a non-waza version for a little cheaper to cut the knees off the market for the original

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I mean honestly I'm probably going down the modeling route completely soon anyway but I hate that things like the HM-2 get their price driven up so high by hype. I guarantee 90% of people trying to get their hands on them don't even want chainsaw tone

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the coolest thing about henry kaiser is that he's playing exactly what he means to play and if you don't like it he doesn't give a poo poo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think it's a cool design but i get what you mean. when they came out with the bolt on design I was hoping the 7 string would be a baritone with the evertune and what-no but even still i was tempted to buy it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dont post my private pictures

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
c'mon man coro-nay was right there

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Bonamasa is definitely that dude that is really good at what he does but what he does is pretty much the most uncool thing you can do. But he knows his poo poo so he gets a bit of a pass

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
-responsible for death of own child

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the intro to "no one wins the war" is performed by rapping your fingers against hte back of the headstock

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

massive spider posted:

Sure youre not thinking of Stuck in my Throat? newtw goes straight in.

yeah i was super drunk actually

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I usually buy used guitars so mine already have a few dings or whatever. I like a beat up guitar. That being said I do think it's funny people insist on a brand new guitar that looks like it should be listed as "fair" condition on Reverb.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so whats the deal with finn mckenty or whatever. he seems very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff but also seems like he's way way way too into the business side of stuff. On its own that wouldn't be bad but like not trying to be a huge communist here or anything, but he seems like a total capitalist shill

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
no poo poo? well good for him then

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/1992-fender-custom-shop-roundup-telecaster-transparent-red

they got it right on this one but in the wrong spot

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
once you let the 5150 into your heart, the peavey logo is sacred

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Pokey Araya posted:

My Friedman JJ-100 has the best clean sound I've ever heard, and the distortion goes from 80's hair metal, to straight death metal. It's an amazing amp.

jerry cantrell has the amazing ability to just have the best version of everything get his name put on it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm only half-way through this. I am stopping by to say that, yes, I am now about to google search for an image of Lenny Kravits' balls hanging out or whatever this dude is taking about.

I hate to use the cliches for this video. It's not just funny, it's smart funny and the guy is addressing actual musical arrangement decisions in an intelligent, if tongue-in-cheek way. So, that was my serious post, but what I really mean is who the gently caress is this dude, who does he write and produce with, and how is he so goddamned funny? Like, this guy is hitting some deep-ish cuts and the production is very "theater of the mind" which is making it even funnier. Not to mention the great terrible graphic art. This poo poo is fantastic. I have a song cooking (sent it off to my bassist buddy this morning), a shitload of practicing to do, and Forza Horizon 5 is out. I do not have 50 minutes to watch some rando on YouTube but yeah I am making the time.

E: O MY!

Finnerty is amazing I just found this and I feel like a boil in my psyche has been lanced by the red-hot scorn of this awesome dude.

I give you his emergency takedown of loving Fancy Like (which I hate so much I think I like it, kill me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcwVZTtx-3M

...and I quote: "Country music, if you're gonna do that... REPARATIONS."

side effect of living in philly, my man

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i don't like his videos but i'm glad a fellow guitar player found a niche to make dummy paper

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
wanting to be in D minor? thats sus bro.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

mango sentinel posted:

That's too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed it is a heap of raw iron.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think the monkey grip was more of like a drug induced "hey what if" kind of thing that made that model stand out more

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think he's one of the dudes that deserves to be a huge dork with no shame since Zappa picked him at a real young age to do a whole ton of poo poo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think it'd be cool if it was assymetrical

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Turbinosamente posted:

But but on board effects man! And tbh I don't even know why Rickenbacker uses a Rickenbacker style bridge, mine's lifted a little over the years like nearly all of them do.

they actually finally got forced to upgrade the bridge when they made the al cisneros sig bass lol. i replaced mine with a heavy rear end brass hipshot

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If I remember correctly it was individually adjustable saddles or something? I had no interest because I knew I couldn't afford the Cisneros sig and also I would probably replace it with the hipshot anyway.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you play metal you gotta wear a really obscure band's shirt so that if anyone thinks your band sucks they see your shirt and think you suck on purpose

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the real stupid music poo poo right now is how backlogged my local techs are. im glad they're not at risk of going out of business but last time i went the wait on some simple setup work went from a week or less to like 3 weeks

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Scarified has the coolest shred guitar riff

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah the selective picking stuff is really cool, i had been doing something similar (but a lot slower and simpler) for a while so it kind of immediately clicked as an idea

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think what i always used to consider djent and what djent is actually widely considered are two different things so i dont even talk about it anymore. i thought it was metalcore with meshuggah influences but now its like big ambient stuff and extra low guitars (like meshuggah)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Speaking of Kezia, that's a really loving good album that you should listen to, yes you, if you're in to punk or metal.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not really stupid unless it's a band you guys hate, but the main guitar player from Textures has been doing so much cool streaming stuff. I emailed him like 15 years ago about on screen tabs he had and he never responded, but his curring situation is loving sick

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
with alzheim's open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
wrong thread but good track