Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Wark Say posted:

Found the link. I don't know what to think anymore with regards to Gibson, but the one thought that firmly comes up is "Shouldn't you be worrying about the mountain of loving debt you're currently in, instead of further doing the kind of poo poo that probably landed you there in the first place?"
I was curious so I looked up the toys in question.

Okay, so James Hetfield is holding an Explorer, presumably based on an ESP one that they're not allowed to make in exactly that shape anymore. Not entirely unfair I guess.

Okay, I can buy a lot of real Les Paul copies that look way more like a real Gibson than that does, and Gibson has given up on suing them, so this is a bit ridiculous. It has a Buckethead killswitch arcade button for some reason. :lol:

Moving on to KISS, of all the four figures this is the only one that resembles a Gibson at all, and it's about the most generic toy guitar it could possibly be. Paul Stanley, on the other hand, is clearly holding an Iceman.

I don't know what Five Nights at Freddy's is but this is the only character that appears to have a guitar and again, super generic looking. You can totally buy actual V copy guitars that Gibson can't touch but apparently they can go for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Chrpno posted:

welp, I guess Leo had well and truly lost the plot by the 70s

To be fair, big ugly control panels were apparently the thing to do at the time.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-20/gibson-creditors-are-said-to-want-new-ceo-before-funding-rescue

Gibson Brands Inc.’s Chief Executive Officer Henry Juszkiewicz and his creditors both see value in the iconic guitar brand -- but that might be the only thing they see eye-to-eye on.

A group of bondholders advised by PJT Partners Inc. is pushing for a restructuring that would hand them ownership of the guitar maker and let them install new leadership, according to people with knowledge of the plans. The holders don’t expect Gibson’s earnings will be strong enough to attract new money for a refinancing to head off a default looming later this year, and creditors are reluctant to invest more funds while Juszkiewicz is still in charge, the people said. They asked not to be identified because the plans remain private.

The bondholders, who claim to control more than two-thirds of Gibson’s outstanding notes that come due in August, would allow management to keep a small ownership stake, according to the people. Juszkiewicz, who has run Nashville, Tennessee-based Gibson for more than 30 years, says he has no plans to give up majority control and brought back Benson Woo for a second tour of duty as his chief financial officer.
Of cours Henry is holding a Firebird X in the photo.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The story is that it had a better paint job at one point?
Kind of, but basically. Story goes that a lot of custom color Fenders were done on top of messed up sunbursts and unsold pink paisleys, and as the years went by it became exposed. No idea how common it actually was but guitar instagram is filled with new relic ones.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I saw one of these at guitar center a while back, this is the way to do the double-sided-double-neck and have it actually kinda work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxM61OTV6zM

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Finally found the ideal G3 tour lineup

donut
Feb 4, 2001

homewrecker posted:

Stolen from Reddit:

And here I thought I was clever by looking for overlooked cheap Peavey stuff on craigslist by searching "peavy".

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Jonny Nox posted:

Lol, I'm glad Gibson still can't get out of bed without stepping on their own dick

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/news/gibson-pulls-controversial-youtube-video-following-outcry
Shocking that a guy they hired away from a shop that sells "Guitarded" shirts in 2019 has not such a great sense of tone.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Jr. posted:

Thought of you, Faustus:

Surely a guitar with 3 necks is heavy enough to justify a monkey grip handle.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

split single coils like the z-coil leo fender came up with at g&l
They came on the Electric XII first though (or comedy option Maverick/Custom).

They look real weird slanted though.

donut fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 22, 2019

donut
Feb 4, 2001

brb buying these up and reselling them at 10x the price as "tone weights"

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Cover bands are the Civil War reenactors of music.

edit: ok this is sort of stupid but maybe not? During the height of the Gibson Robotuner craze they released versions of their guitars that had a piezo pickup in the bridge and you could twist the pickup toggle switch's nipple to blend with the piezo signal with the normal pickup signal. I thought that was a fun idea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://reverb.com/item/2483858-gibson-es-les-paul-blend-2016-sunburst-piezo
The hybrid toggle-pot must feel wild to use. Unless there's an itsy-bitsy U-joint in the shaft, you're swinging a (relatively) massive counterweight of a pot on the other end of the toggle whenever you switch pickups.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

My favorite stupid audiophile thing is the Schick Tonearms website, which has some very cringe product photos

In the garden, listening to my $"if you have to ask it's too high" turntable that's not hooked up to anything.

Just unboxing cartridges in steampunk cosplay, nbd.

Love to go for a walk in the garden with a disembodied tonearm.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Chrpno posted:

It's the electric version of these old horse collars, much favoured by old fashioned country types. What's the point of having a nice guitar if you're just going to cover it in plastic?

I was thinking flamenco-style but it turns out those are there to protect the soundboard when the player taps it so that wouldn't work so well with floating pickguards.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Elissimpark posted:

Google 12 string bass, which is 4 string bass, triple harmonized. The dude from King's X uses them frewuently, I believe.
I always associated them with Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick, he even has a Gretsch signature model that looks like a 12 string bass White Falcon.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFXYfbrFl6Y/

I wonder how heavy this thing is.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

You think that thing looks feminine?

All I see is a fat hairy dude gut and a big slappin pair of moobs.

Agreed, that's why I decided it wasn't :nws:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, Ricks haven't had printed prices in catalogs for as long as I can remember.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

sigher posted:

How the hell do you get black frets?
Getting black frets is easy. Keeping black frets is the hard part.

Found source: https://www.reddit.com/r/LowSodiumCyberpunk/comments/l814vc/my_johnny_silverhand_project_guitar_is_almost/

I can only assume the whole neck is painted, the fretboard looks rough. And the break angle over the bridge doesn't look promising.

donut fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 30, 2021

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Anyone in the market for a bluesdad lair? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1101-Jackson-St-APT-507-Omaha-NE-68102/91927139_zpid/?mmlb=g,2

All the HDR makes the place look like the Snyder cut of Johnny Rockets.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

What is that, JB Weld? Under tension? That'll last like 10 minutes strung up.

Not to impugn the craftsmanship or decision making skills of someone that would do something like that of course.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I swear that one has been on LA Craigslist for years. I was looking for a bass companion to my SGV-800 for a while a couple years back so I was searching Yamaha Bass pretty regularly and that thing was always there, including the offer of trade.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

muike posted:

that'd look really cool all scorched up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFQ8B4cx64

great results but 13k gbp???? does the turntable hardware he used cost that much????

edit: okay hold up yeah 10k of that is apparently the audiophile poo poo unless the 10k is separate from the 13k woodworking

Seems like if you can find the right marks making turntable plinths is probably way more profitable than custom guitars. That's £3k for something that doesn't need anywhere near the amount of precision or hand carving that a guitar of the same price would require.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

The Fender F is bad design and always has been.

Now Peavey, there's a timeless logo font that totally doesn't look like the ballpoint margin doodles of a seventh grader.
You mean you wouldn't play a thinline Peavey Reactor with a P hole :laugh:?

edit: you might say I used the wrong logo since it doesn't match the headstock P, but note the Fender one uses a spaghetti F for the hole but has the "transition" logo for the head :colbert:

donut fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 20, 2021

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Snowy posted:

It’s kinda like 80s-90s generic corporate video music. The loving Champs were good at whatever that sound is

E-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4Aimi-lhQ
Taking any opportunity to post the one true master of 80s-90s corporate video shred, Myrone, who I think I discovered in this thread many years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbzUBg_AjY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Bryan Ferry is a huge tory which is disappointing but he also has a son named Merlin Ferry who at one point played in a band named after a Pokemon (Voltorb) which is at least a little amusing. One of his other sons, Otis, is a noted fox hunting enthusiast though, so that's a shame.