Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dirt posted:

I once bought a guitar with a scalloped neck because of him. That poo poo sucks, and I feel bad about buying it. Ritchie Blackmore is the only other guy to pull off the scalloped neck thing. It is so weird to play with.

Any of you ever try it?

I have a scalloped strat (Yngwie clone built from a 60s Classic Series by a bulgarian luthier) and to be honest I don't notice much of a difference other than slides and bends being much easier and smoother. Just gotta avoid using a death grip on chords. I run .009s downtuned to Eb and it's just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

StickySweater posted:

This was one of the most memorable posts from the other thread. A solid brass guitar. $24,000 and 76 pounds (34 kilograms). Can you even imagine how that thing must feel sitting on your lap?

Probably about the same as a Les Paul.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Verizian posted:

That really needs a grip hole.

And scalloped frets.

Christ on a stick, they have a fretless 12-string too.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Tempting to call Rondo and ask if they'd make a fanned fretless Agile for me.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

Figures Kahler would be the one to try to make a multi-scale trem.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Did they try to make a Bass VI out of it?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

When I was a TA in my guitar professor's class, this older lady was taking the Intro to Guitar Class with her daughter and they had the most bizarre guitars, they had a hinge on where the neck and the body met, so the neck would fold on top of the body. The strings went completely slack and they would just shove them into the sound hole. They had custom cases with them and they packed up nicely. I have no clue what they were or who made them.

Voyage-Air perhaps?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

God drat I'm getting carpet bombed on Facebook with these ads for the "ToneWood Amp" which is a speaker you put inside of your acoustic guitar and strap a dsp processor on the back. OMG THERE'S DELAY COMING OUT OF THE SOUNDHOLE!!!!

It seems kinda cool but also seems cornball as gently caress and it seems like they know this which is how their strategy is "advertise constantly to people until they no longer have the will to NOT buy one."

If I flag the ad as not for me will it actually go away? Off to Facebook to try!

It doesn't use a speaker though, does it? I read about it a while ago and seems like it vibrates against the guitar's back basically blending itself into the "natural" sound that way. It looked pretty cool in some demos.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I can sort of understand wanting to do a weird finish, but why the gently caress did he leave the pickup and poo poo on?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Concatenation posted:

Are you thinking of one or other of the line 6 variax guitars?

The stevic sig looks pretty envelope-pushing but who even needs this much functionality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0CwZHY0kM

-------------------------

Currently building a BE-OD clone and making some incredibly awful 'custom' artwork for it

I assume you will dime all the knobs and then glue them in place.

Not stupid music poo poo I've been into lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNmmK-Mod9Y

gently caress, her hands are half the size of mine and she makes that big rear end bass sing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, the Metal Zone came out like 25 years ago so I guess I can let this one slide.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

stillvisions posted:

NAMM is coming up! Who's excited for:

- A fundamental redesign of the guitar that serves no purpose other than costing $5000
- A microtonal touch controller that's kinda shaped like another instrument
- "Beautiful tone" demo videos in a noisy room without a line input
- People complaining that a new synth doesn't have every feature known to man while costing less than $500
- Anger over mini-keys
- New modular synth robot farts!

Has anybody DISRUPTED the guitar yet though? That's gotta come soon.

(ok, I googled some and allegedly Line 6 DISRUPTED the market with the Variax, making Gibson and Fender quake in their boots. We can see how all of that ended up what with all of us using Variaxes these days.)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 23, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

The biggest disruption is that there are some great guitars for less than $500 now

And you can get a perfectly playable guitar for a hell of a lot less. Just look at the reviews of the sub-150 dollar guitars on the market; sure there are some duds but the majority appear to be perfectly OK instruments even though they don't use any higher grade hardware. Back when I started (late 80s) it would've been unfathomable to get something this cheap you can actually use.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Throw some sparkles on there and you'd have Liberace's guitar.

(Also, the pickup covers look a lot like those on Vai's "woody" Ibanez.)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is why I really need to get a MIJ Ibanez soon

Japan makes wonderful stuff, I’m weaboo garbage deal with it

Get an RG655, not too expensive, MIJ Prestige line, and highly versatile.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Groundbreaking design from PRS:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wark Say posted:

What. Why. No.

Is John Mayer salty with Fender or something?

I think the idea was to make it similar to one of his old favorites, but gently caress. It's like going to Ford saying that you want them to make you a signature car based on your favorite 50s Corvette.

I'm sure it's finely crafted and a lovely instrument and all that poo poo, but PRS has some nice designs of their own and don't need to be jumping on the Stratocaster/Telecaster bandwagon most other manufacturers seem unable to escape.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Is that Bill Bailey?

Indeed it is.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Found this in the Internet archives, used to be on vai.com, posted by Steve himself. It's more awesome not really music poo poo. But funny.

Edit: They're all here: https://web.archive.org/web/20021203192048/http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/journals/journals_1960-1985.html (Choice quote: "When I’m dead in my grave, my penis will still not have forgiven me"; new thread title?)

quote:

We played at many high school dances but people did everything but dance. We took our gigs very seriously in a very un-serious way. Joe Despagni was the band’s right-hand man, and he would build these elaborate light shows with smoke pots and everything.

I remember this one gig at the high school. We’d start preparing the stage show days in advance, driving around through Old Westbury where the rich people lived and sneak up on their property and steal their flood lights for our show. What a bunch of derelicts. If we had a few beers we’d play this little game of sticking our rear end out the car window at people who were in the streets (wow what fun).

Around that time, I was taking guitar lessons from Joe Satriani. He was about 4 years older and we worshipped Joe. He could really play the guitar and we could barely speak in his presence except a “Hi Joe” and a smile. His house, where I took lessons, was like hallowed ground for us. He was very different (did I say different?) at that time too. Totally reserved and in control, very laid back and sophisticated, where I was constantly getting thrown out of classes for going into uncontrollable laughing fits.

So one night we’re doing our “sticking the rear end out of the car window” thing and it was my turn. Ah...I spied an unsuspecting couple having an intimate conversation under a warmly glowing street lamp. Perfect suspects. I pulled down my pants, rolled down the window, and stuck my butt out, waving my hands as the driver of the car madly blows the horn.

In the middle of this little display of infantile brilliance, I realize that the couple I’m shaking my skinny little 16-year-old rear end at are none other than Joe Satriani and his girlfriend. Our eyes met, and I was stunned. It was too difficult to retract my buttocks into the car so the only thing I could do as we drove by was wave and yell “Hi Joe!!”.

I don’t know about you, but as I’m writing this I’m having one of those uncontrollable laughing fits. I can hardly type. God, I’m still so juvenile sometimes.

So we got our flood lights and Joe Despagni is going to build these flash pots. We had to go to JC Penney’s and buy these powdered rocket engines and peel them until we had a huge pile of explosive gray powder. Despagni would strategically place these on the stage, giving us 4 small explosions and one huge one for the finale.

Back then I wanted to be Jimmy Page. I even tried to play the guitar with a violin bow. There was this one point in the show when I was doing an unaccompanied violin bow solo with a tape delay unit. I would strike the guitar with the bow and when it echoed back I would point the bow at a designated area where a flash pot would go off. Well, on this particular night, they were all working but the last one. I could hear Joe yelling “I’m gonna set off the big one!”. I was standing there in pose from the previous ignition and knew that as soon as I so much as move my little finger, Joe was going to Let-em-go!

That was all well and good, but the problem was that the final mega-flash pot was situated between my legs. I was petrified and confused. I whacked the guitar with the bow and hit the deck in an attempt to evade the effects of the blast.

When I came to, my clothes and face were stained with sulfur and my eyelashes were singed off, but the audience was loving it and that made it all worth it.

I think in my next guitar lesson Joe Satch said something in regard to the streaking whiteness of my passing buttocks, and I was just “Wha...wha...what do you mean??”

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 27, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

cdc posted:

Accidentally bought this because I got a good deal on it.

Posting it here because it's a purple flame maple top with gold hardware and bat inlays.

Plays and sounds great though.

Hey, I had one of those, except with active pickups (EMG). drat nice player!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

I get the hate on Vai, he's a goof-ball. I still love the guy, of course, but I'm an old who grew up worshipping him (he played Jack Butler in Crossroads, which is kinda like the Rocky of guitar nerd movies, and my guitar nerd friends and I must have watched that dumb movie 45 times back then) and the stuff he did with DLR on Eat 'Em and Smile and Skyscraper is simply amazingly awesome. Very earnest love for that stuff, it was the soundtrack of my Junior and Senior years of High School (with Van Halen's 5150 rounding out a great summer).

Oh hell yes, Crossroads was an awesome movie. Probably seen it 20+ times myself.

Can't see anybody hating Vai, who seems to be one of the nicest people on the planet, but can definitely understand that not everyone is into his stuff. Love some of his tracks (For the Love of God and Tender Surrender are amazing) but there's a lot of weird poo poo too. Then again, since he played with Zappa for a while I am not surprised at the, uh, less conventional stuff.

The 80s/90s really had some great players. Vai, Satriani, Jason Becker, Gary Moore, Vinnie Moore (no relation as far as I know), all the great thrash stuff (Megadeth's Rust in Peace, Metallica's And Justice for All, Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss)... I'm sure today's young people listen to players that are equally awesome to them but I can't really think of (m)any that appeal to me. Periphery has done some cool poo poo though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

A lot of modern players want to have this flawless combination of perfect playing and perfect production but don’t seem to experiment or let themselves fail enough. I understand it though. I’m working on an EP and I never make progress because I’m always chasing something better and more refined. The internet has been wonderful for music/guitar but also invites many new ways to self criticize and compare yourself to what you feel is expected in the modern industry.

You make a good point; it seems like a lot of the newer stuff is so freakin' clinical. Was listening to Jason Becker's "Altitudes" from the Perpetual Burn album in the car today and it has a more "gritty" feel to it, minor flaws. Same with Yngwie's first album. And Gary Moore's Dirty Fingers.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

edit: Satriani talk: Am I the only one here who thinks it’s weird that Joe Satriani, the dude known for having like the most encyclopedic knowledge of theory you’ll find in a guitar player, and who seems to have given guitar lessons to about a third of every amazing guitar player you’ve ever heard of, only ever seems to release albums on technical par with “reasonably-confident-with-the-instrument bluesdad?”

Uh...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah sorry maybe that wasn’t fair. I’ve been listening to his latest album though and there’s really... just not a lot to it. Like he’s just kind of meandering around and playing at about 15% of his ability the majority of the album. Not just from speed perspective, but a melodic one. A lot of stuff he’s playing is pretty stock sounding.

I realize not every guitar album is supposed to sound like a Paul Gilbert Shred-a-thon but it just seemed really odd to me.

I like the latest album, though it's not some shredtastic thing. "Thunder high on the mountain" and "Cherry blossoms" are great songs IMO. But it's different from his older stuff, which was a little more intense. Al Di Meola seems to have gone through a similar journey, from fast and technical focus back in the 80s and 90s to more thoughtful, melodic stuff on his latest.

You might want to check out "Surfing with the alien" if you want a little more rapidfire playing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I didn't know Liberace had a signature LP.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

The fact that Joe Stump is clearly worse than Yngwie Malmsteen is proof that Yngwie does, in fact, have redeeming qualities.

Yngwie has pretty outstanding picking technique (just look at this vid and pay attention to the right hand, how absolutely effortless and minimalistic it is) and the best vibrato ever (possibly tied with Gilmour).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVa3W4y_Ge4

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

Yngwie, *especially* when he's improvising, has a tendency to forget that he's playing in a rock band and that despite the frilly shirts, he isn't Paganini. As a consequence of this, he tends to start/end phrases on "weird" beats, and the guitar parts are frequently somewhat disconnected from the rhythm. I don't mean that he's playing out of time or making mistakes-- technically speaking he might be the best guitarist ever, I believe that his 7-tuplets are perfectly arranged and all that -- but the guitar often doesn't accent the strong beats in the music. I assume this is perfectly intentional and that in Yngwie's Swedish brain he's doing something brilliant that mere mortal like me can't appreciate. (He doesn't always do this, but it annoys the poo poo out of me when he does.)

He can definitely "disconnect" from the underlying beat at times, but I think his lines tend to flow on their own really well and seem to make sense even so. But it could be that I am a fanboy since the 80s so my mind's been warped.

Can definitely write some "typical" rock stuff though and stick to it. Even the solos can remain tied to the ground. E.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmrWQpq4Oxo

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Concatenation posted:

no they're not idiots

having trouble working out where on the awful to awesome line this sits, I'm thinking so awful it becomes awesome but I'm not sure:

The bad thing about those copies is that seemingly none replicate the neck on the Strandberg which is a major part of the experience.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mmmm, if there only was some sort of device not requiring cables or a power supply, maybe with a touch sensitive surface, that you could carry with you wherever you go...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I understand taking a right handed guitar and stringing it backwards if you're left handed, but I cannot wrap my head around just flipping the guitar over and playing like that.

It sort of makes sense for playing lead. Albert King was able to get all of those insane 2 whole step bends because of that (he also tuned down to something wacky like CFCFAD) but anything with chords must be a total pain in the rear end. I think the guy from the Ataris played that way too.

Eric Gales plays it just flipped over. In fact, I think his brothers do too; I remember reading something about the oldest one watching Hendrix and figured that's how you are supposed to play and then showed his brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-f2Pby42eA

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I really can't tell if this is stupid or awesome.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

It's an Eastwood, so by default it's kinda both. Is that an 8 string mandolin?

Yes, are there others? :-)

And agreed, Eastwood can be stupidly awesome.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

I've had two Eastwoods. Their Sidejack DLX Mostite clone was my first and was a really solid guitar. I currently have a black Hummingbird, though, and it's become my rock guitar of choice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQsEDjpHOg

It's fun to play and sounds great, but that tremolo is really finicky.

I was all excited about their 25% off coupon until I realized prices on their website were excluding VAT so by the time you add that their sale price is about the same as the regular price for their stuff at Thomann...

But if you're in the US try MUSICISWIN25 at checkout, I assume the tax thing isn't an issue there.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fors Yard posted:

Watched this recently and explains that it was basically Lars' fault and the producer wanted to make a separate mix that he thought sounded better but it was too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmFgeFh2nlw

Everything wrong with Metallica is Lars' fault.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I've learned to accept their lame-rear end attempts at being funny due to their occasional forays into interesting guitar playing territory and that some of their songs absolutely loving rip.

"Marigold" has some killer (and stretchy!) riffs.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Having never played a JEM, how do they compare to the Prestige? I have an RG655 that I like a lot.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

pretty sure some assistant or set dresser just went to a guitar shop nearby and found the most gaudy thing on the racks

That's assuming the BC Rich models were all sold out.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

What the gently caress Yngwie. Like how could you think this is a good idea? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvH1Wl6J50Y

Edit:

Honestly at this point Yngwie's best impersonator is just straight up superior to the original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjOPyAsn4M&t=192s is better neoclassical shred than anything Yngwie's done since the 80s.

Stump is a great player but there's no way he can ever recreate the raw energy on the Rising Force album. Yngwie is like a parody of himself these days but you still gotta give him credit for what he's done. He's a good example of what happens when you take a sheltered Swede and give him money and power though, goes all Ayn Rand on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

"Rich man's got a ferrari blues!"

I don't disagree with any of this really. Just meant that 2019 Joe Stump is (rather obviously) a far better musician and guitarist than 2019 Yngwie. I probably listen to Yngwie's 80s albums once a week. You expect people to rest on their laurels I guess, and grats to him for the Ferrarris, but Joe's actually made some effort to...improve... over the past 20 years whereas Yngwie has somehow gotten dramatically worse (at composition at least).

Yeah, Yngwie has been on a steady decline for a while it seems. Some of his early 2000s stuff was great but can't say I enjoy where he's at now. As for blues, he did a pretty decent job on Red House, far cry from what he just released...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4l1Jk3ZCb4

Though if you want the ultimate stuck in the 1980s cheese, look no further than MAB who can always deliver. (Daughter commented, " that old lady can really play fast")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4l1Jk3ZCb4

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 1, 2019