Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dr. Faustus posted:

real working musician Concatenation's

this is a very optimistic appraisal of my financially ill-advised attempts to rehash 90s swedish death metal instead of concentrating on a different career, but thankyou all the same

i am glad life is better for you now dr f, and look forward to more stupid music poo poo to come

---------------------

Thread as always requires more rigs of dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
i've been told that my passion for living borders on the extreme

oh wait, watch this....! heh, love that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ-QSinSF8

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

there's a head and rackmount hardware version of Bias now, might be worth a look

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-rack/

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIG7a1XVCU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

which of these will vacuum my floor autonomously

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

blah blah blah honk honk gibson *extremely loud queef sound*

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

Looking at Les Pauls with locking trems got me on Robert Fripp's various guitars and, uh, geez:

It makes sense for what he does but still, drat.

I like to think all the control labels and lines are also printed onto the guitar top in case he forgets what they are

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

hi my name is karl sanders out of nile and i order my custom guitars without a volume knob to let more of the ~tone~ through

(apologies for meme format)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

I do hope it's a really dry joke at the expense of all his sycophantic dickriders on fb but I really don't know.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

pfft call that a watermelon guitar

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

I maintain a soft spot for the Jr V because Pat O'brien plays one and I wish I had 1% of his chops

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

hmm triggering the sound guy before even soundchecking the kit, sounds smart and good

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

if I play live with a set of strings I find my sweat is sufficiently corrosive that i'll almost certainly break a string if I play live with them again, which is an extremely bad feeling to have going into a set. Usually it's the A string because I apparently miscalculated my string tensions when picking the gauges to bulk order so that string has a noticeably higher tension than the others... and I'm stuck with this gauge until I use my remaining 15 sets or whatever it is I have. Ugh.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

I tooled around with a THR in a store for a while and wasn't that impressed, although I don't think I was playing the high gain model. If you're just using headphones you could look at Positive Grid Bias if you've got an ios phone/tablet to run it, or an interface/DAW.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My friend replaced the High channel on a Peavey Studio 60 with a Boss HM-2 he built (the Low channel is now the previous High channel). Behold:

The green board is the HM-2:

The demo:

https://vimeo.com/249699565

HEH. Just saw him post this on facebook, sounds fuckin rad

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

My other guitarist picked up a peavey VTM for like $300 with a view to using it on our next album so I've been checking it out. It's fuckin sweet, and loud as gently caress. It has a bunch of dipswitches on the front to control EQ voicing and gain stages although I can't honestly detect much of a difference with my apparently terrible ears. Sounds amazing with a HM2 in front, there's a gnarly grind to the low mids that I think is going to do the trick.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

pls dont doxx me thanks

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So I'm making some Boss HM-2 clones and my friend who designed the boards used a PCB service called DirtyPCB. They just told me my boards have shipped and I should expect a 1-8 week window for arrival. Lol.

lol we almost certainly post in the same facebook pedal group. let me know how this is, I'm going to pull the trigger on it when he puts out a build doc. I really like the rad panelisation he's done with this board

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Are you thinking of one or other of the line 6 variax guitars?

The stevic sig looks pretty envelope-pushing but who even needs this much functionality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0CwZHY0kM

-------------------------

Currently building a BE-OD clone and making some incredibly awful 'custom' artwork for it

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

lmao a facebook group entitled 'circle of tone' is the last place i'd want to hang out

Honestly i don't know why bedroom chuds hold up the early entombed/dismember/grave etc albums as some sort of holy grail of tone considering basically any recent hm2 album has better production. poo poo isn't rocket science, dime the EQ on the thing, put a TS in front, into the fun channel of a 5150, mesa/orange cab, 57/421, done. Also get Kurt Ballou involved somehow. And get out of your fuckin bedroom.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hm2 is the universal warning sign for boring riffs ahead don't @ me

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

re: mick gordon seriously do check out the GDC video for the frankenstein signal chain he put together for the synth, it's fuckin rad

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

honestly it's a brilliant marketing coup for ormsby to legit build that fuckin thing for him.

i do wish jared dines would stop wearing snapback hats back to front though, he looks hello-fellow-kids as gently caress

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

lol did I fall through time into a harmony central discussion from 2001 or something

there's always going to be a market for music for people that don't really care about music, and that's cool yeah? not everyone is into digging deep into whatever genres (although considering how easy it is to do these days with streaming services I personally think it's inexcusably lazy)

Here also is your current update on what's cool and getting signed in death metal at the moment: bands that really, really like demilich and early gorguts, honky guitar tones, and just saying fuckit and putting a hall reverb on everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDOrfCha3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNkGupr4fg

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Hey nice, I just pulled the trigger on a set of those boards today. I find HM2s really like being run into a high gain tube amp and used more as a tone filter. Crank L and H, gain/vol to taste, use your amp's high and presence controls to control the crazy high end. Also do some palm mute chugs and tremolo picking :whatup:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There’s a dude who runs a successful company solely on making HM-2 clones (his customers are usually young and love his “edgy” persona) and he’s a lunatic who harasses and threatens anyone online who dares to make HM-2 clones. Also his pedals are poorly made garbage (lovely solder joints, autorouted layouts... bush league poo poo). Not to name names but he is a “Lone Wolf” and I encourage everyone to deny him business.

Sorry if this is a bit inside baseball.

Haha, joe trashed my band completely unprovoked the other month, despite two of us owning LHWs (and selling them because they’re pretty average but that’s another issue). He needs some proper professional help and all his sycophantic fanboys are extremely embarrassing.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Are expensive as gently caress pickups stupid guitar poo poo? Every now and again I think "hey I should replace my guitar's pickups" and then start listening to samples of Seymour Duncan and bareknuckle and stuff.

Apart from really bad pickups though I can never hear anything that justifies upgrading the already good pickups. I'm beginning to think there's a lot of smoke and mirrors with pickups. "These ones sound clearer and more full maaaan."

I am suspect.

Personally I think they’re good up to a point, I’m an enormous fan of ceramic warpigs as a high gain bridge pickup but they’re at a premium price compared to say, a Seymour Duncan distortion which does 75% as good a job for way cheaper. Metal players place far too much emphasis on them, I feel like they have far more of an effect playing clean/slightly overdriven. You can pry my Lace Dirty Heshers from my cold dead hands though.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

this is what doing loads of (i assume) coke and actually applying yourself to playing drums can result in: 280bpm blast beats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGam8QIwo

Hedningen posted:

I’ve been on a huge death metal kick lately, and the thing that gets me about the drumming is that, while it’s often impressive from a speed and technique standpoint, there’s not as much of a groove so everything sounds too full. Hearing drummers do poo poo other than constant 16th bass drum hits is such a joy, especially when it sets up a proper groove.

Jamie Saint Merat from Ulcerate is one of my favourites for weirdly groovy poo poo, 0:40 is pretty rad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7H_dRydJU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

honestly the rapping is the least worst part of that jack white song

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m cautious about the long term durability but you can’t beat the price for making my pedalboard more comfortable and colorful. Neat!

Depends on the fit but I've found them pretty durable, and the colour coding is nice because I'm a blind, ham-footed idiot on stage. Won't fit certain types of footswitch tho eg my bassist's origin comp (although why he'd ever turn it off is beyond me)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

facebook buy/sell groups have been good this week

:effort:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Opening for a quite large not-black-metal-anymore band tonight and my band has scrounged enough cabs to each run a full stack and our bassist has an 8x10. This is going to be stupid as fuckkkkkkk

widefault posted:

Might be just me, but this is some double stupid

Less stupid than bands that have those pop up convention banners with their logos and stuff on stage. They don't look like a band, they look like they're going to cut me a sick deal on some life insurance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVv8EYlMuyE

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

My favourite is when bands do that, have a perfect promo for their one video single which they put out before their first show, gather thousands of social media follows and then play one show before disappearing forever and ruining all of that momentum.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

Continuing the theme of "products built for no one": A pickup ring with a built-in tuner. Because, uh... because, I guess.

actually I would use the poo poo out of this to tune backstage because I hate having to find a place to stash a clip-on tuner before I go on

edit: although I'd install it in the neck pickup because my sweat will eventually kill it

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

i've never seen so many people with no concept of irony before

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Get a Peavey VTM 120 and a Blackhawk Amps Ragnarok for the other channel:

https://blackhawkamplifiers.bigcartel.com/product/ragnarok-tube-preamp-pedal

Boom under or at $1500

yeahhh I know i posted the other month about trying out a VTM but I just couldn't get it to record well at all, at least with a HM2 in the front. Seemed like the guts of the tone was in that super boxy range around 500Hz and the high end was fizzy in a bad and not cool way. Neat amps for $300 or whatever but considering 6505s go for the same money it's hard to recommend one

Seconding mesa hate though, I've never liked the flubby low end and at the same time shrill treble of rectos.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The only perfect compliment to an LWA pedal is a trash can.

:emptyquote:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

The antidote is shut up and play

GreatGreen posted:

I say this with 100% sincerity: get an Axe-Fx.

I bought an Axe-Fx Ultra in 2009, then sold it in 2012 to get an Axe-Fx II, which I then sold early this year to get an Axe-Fx III.

They're expensive as poo poo up front but getting an Axe-Fx was easily the best gear decision I’ve ever made. I can literally dial in every single tone I’ve ever had even the most passing interest in, and I’m 100% satisfied. I’ve have had virtually zero GAS for the last 10 years or so, other than wanting to upgrade my Axe-Fx when a new one comes out.

This might save him/her money in the long run but it's just going to increase the hours spent tweaking stuff tenfold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

the HoF mini remains my favourite of theirs, it's the "add a slice of cheese for 50c" of pedals