Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I just noticed in the last couple days that when the app is restored from memory with a thread open, the text size ends up larger than I have it set.

It knows you’re older than you were when you were reading last so it enlarges the text for your now-aged eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mike12345 posted:

I've got "pull to next page" disabled, but the app does it regardless. It's also super-sensitive, so just scrolling and accidentally hitting the end of the page makes it go to the next. Annoying.

This is also my experience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

I just got an update that fixes this. Check your App Store.

It does!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

Dis one

iPhone XS btw. This one smells like it just might be device-dependent

I also have an XS and this happens occasionally.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Awful does use Crashlytics for crash reporting, non-fatal error logging, and very barebones analytics (number of active users). I’ve taken it out before and tried to use Apple’s crash reporting, but some crash popped up that was hard to figure out and Apple’s crash reporting was completely unhelpful so I put Crashlytics back in to help fix it. I’m not opposed to taking it back out.

It’s no problem if you want to block it. Apple gives some stats but they’re pretty vague as something like 40% of people using Awful have consented to sending analytics and crash reports to app developers. Which is maybe a sign that Crashlytics isn’t really welcome either?
Do whatever you find the most helpful. The endless cavalcade of data breaches, “accidental” excessive data collection and retention, and the FBI and NSA leaning on US companies to cough up tons of data for flimsy justifications mean that you’re always going to have a challenge getting some users to consent to any sort of analytics, and the people who are okay with Apple reporting will probably be okay with another analytics package too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Many times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I agree with all of this, except that Frog Icon should be the only icon because it's objectively best.

The frog was good but with all the alt right Pepe poo poo we’re better off without it for a while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

Mii
Much Joan
WIs n jejujm mum

No, YOUR mom. :mad:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m a comparatively new arrival to the iOS app from Android (6 months), paged through the thread and didn’t find this:

When I click the :-) menu and get the smilies it works fine, but when I tap the :-) to input text again the custom posting menu at the top of the keyboard disappears (smilies, formatting, brackets, etc.). Am I exiting the smilie menu incorrectly or is something else going on?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This is a new weird one...

I can open any other thread just fine.

Mobile and retro games forums are being created today and threads moved there won’t be viewable until the permissions update.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Oh.... well thats what I get for never going past my bookmarks lol

Thanks!

I had a similar experience and had to poke around too. :cheerdoge:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is this the place to request features? I like to read threads when I get on a plane and don't have access to data. It'd be great to get some time of thread-downloading feature.

It's possible to just load a ton of pages in a thread and still access them through the cache, but one downside is Twitter embeds don't fully load (only the text of the directly-linked tweet), nor do other images.

At one point lowtax was hostile towards automated scraping since it ran up the hosting traffic bills but I don’t know if anyone has asked recently.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the yeti posted:

I could swear that the thread zoom had a double tap or some other trigger to snap back to 1:1 but on this page it’s just not doing it:

Latest awful latest iOS— did just upgrade ro ios13, could it be related to that?

I’ve been noticing some weird behavior with displaying posted code blocks in the last few days too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Camrath posted:

Just finally downloaded this to try it out and for some reason it’s refusing to accept my username and password, despite them being accurate. On a brand new iPhone 11 if that’s significant.

Any one able to suggest a way to make it work?

Double check that autocorrect isn’t smashing your password, I don’t remember if that’s a problem in this app or not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

No idea if this is on purpose but I get these from time to time. iPhone 6 latest iOS 12 version

Yes, that’s someone abusing Unicode. Look up “Zalgo” on google, or go here:

http://eeemo.net

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone else have issues using trying to jump to the last post when you look at a user's post history in a thread? Whenever I pick it in the page menu it jumps me to the last page of the entire thread. Selecting any other page is fine.

Yep, it has happened that way for me since I started using it in February and I always forget to report the problem here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Figured this out, a user I had previously added to my ignore has since been made a Mod so it wouldn't let me update the list with that user still in it!

I ran into this a lot too. My ignore list is half mods and half permabans, seems like I can really pick them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The graphic quotes in this post shows up black on gray background using the OLED dark theme. Clicking on the graphic brings it up with the expected white background.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908776&perpage=40&pagenumber=106#post501987498

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has something changed with the way YouTube embeds? Tonight I seem to be triggering playback of any video I scroll by. I’m feeling sick as a dog so it might just be my senses messing with me though.

Yes, YouTube changed something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I got an Autoban for posting a thread with a forbidden thread tag. I only post from my phone and the iPhone app doesn't have a warning that tells you "You will be automatically banned for using this tag!" anywhere in the app, so I basically just got owned for $10-40 bucks (if I have to rebuy all my upgrades). Can you please add that warning so phone posters don't GET GOT?

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

In the reverse direction, I've also noticed I can't long-press on Twitter embeds -- previously, it was possible to long-press on an embedded tweet's timestamp to bring up the sharing menu, then copy the tweet URL right then and there. Currently I have to either quote the post and select the URL to copy it, or tap the timestamp to (note: successfully! Opposite of the YouTube stuff) load the tweet in Awful browser, long-press on the title bar to copy the URL, and then when I paste I need to manually delete the long "&thistweetwasembedded=true&source=somethingawful.com&thispersonisa=goon" kind of extended fragment, which is a tremendous burden.

Help me, pokey man kenobi~~~

That’s Twitter datamining for referrals. In Safari hit the share menu at bottom center and copy link from there and it’s a clean URL without the referral bit at the end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

You could re-purpose the star icon currently used in the Forum menu for this - star outline indicates regular mod and filled star indicates supermod?

What is a supermod?

Mod power for all of SA: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910321

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NFX posted:

I think I found a bug:

1. Go to a megathread.
2. Click on some reasonably active poster's av and then "Their posts". They must have more than 1 page's worth.
3. In the page selector, jump to last page. It works even if they only have 1 page worth of posts in the thread.

You now get taken to the last page of the thread, not the last page of their posts. The page count shows 0/N where N is the number of pages in the thread. Additionally, you can't click on Their Posts again on this page.

I first saw this in a large thread, but in testing it for this write up I can reproduce it everywhere.

Thanks for writing this up, it’s been doing this for me for months and I always forget to report it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cool I fixed it on my end - the testing will fall to those with iphones.

Seems to work for me in the places I spot checked. Thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bug report: in smilie history, the first time I tap the smilie to insert into a post it’s the right one. Subsequent taps insert previous ones in the history, backing up one step every tap.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

When reporting a post the text in the report reason for doesn’t line wrap, it just extends one long line.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

John Romero posted:

alright if it isn’t gonna be fixed is there any other app

john romero's about to make you his bitch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Is something weird going on with pms?

It's just that time of the month.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Are twitter embeds being weird for anyone else? I see the words but not the shape of the tweet.

Anytime twitter breaks the first place to suspect is twitter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

littering and
littering and

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

why does it take so long if it’s already pushed?

Apple reviews to make sure there's not malicious stuff in updates.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty good posted:

lol I've had doubled up smilies for like a year maybe but that's something special

I get doubles and triples all the time but that's impressive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

also (double post):

What do people think about an option to use postimages.org instead of imgur for in-app uploads? They look like they’d be much nicer to work with and I’m seeing them used more and more in the wild.

As a user I don't have a lot of loyalty about image hosting; if postimages is working better than imgur these days and seems like they'll continue to host images for free for several more years then they're probably a good fit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Trying to ignore posters through the app just gives me an error that homeless friend is a moderator and this cannot be ignored, which would make sense if the people I was ignoring were them :thunk:

This is a problem with the site, instead of appending to the existing list it discards it and then adds all the names again to a new list, and if one of your existing ignored names has become site staff since you added them you can’t make any changes to your ignore list until you remove the site staff from your list.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

astral posted:

You can add people without editing the list (the button in user profiles works like this) but radium removed the function that directly removes someone from lists. :iiam:

Thanks for the correction!

And lol radium.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Do not listen to this heretic, make it even darker

https://youtu.be/v0nmHymgM7Y

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Twitter’s API is a dumpster fire and causes all kinds of dumb errors and race conditions all the time. If tweets aren’t embedding right it’s 99% likely to be Twitter’s problem not SA or the app.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If you viewed it before it was taken down it’s probably just cached. It doesn’t show up for me in the app, likely because I never saw that tweet before.

Same.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Problem that's been driving me nuts, but also may be the doing of twitter's poo poo-eating subhuman frontend team:

I see a tweet that I want to share and tap on the tweet's datetime to open in the in-app browser. I tap the share button and I see the correct page title in the share sheet for a second, but it changes either to twitter's homepage or something I previously opened in the in-app browser. If I hit Copy, it copies the url corresponding to the new, incorrect title on the share sheet. I have to open into full fledged safari and copy the link from there.

It'd also be kinda nice if when the in-app browser opened, it trimmed all the tracking link poo poo from the end of url so it didn't show the source as SA (I send a lot of links from the forums to normal-brained friends). I might clone down the repo and see if I can do this myself.

That tweet url copy behavior has been happening to me for the last few weeks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Awful 5.4, iOS 14.3

Occasionally when returning to control panel from a thread via the back arrow button, the thread i was just reading will have its title replaced with “The Something Awful Forums”. This persists until I go to another thread and back out. I haven’t seen it happen twice in a row yet. I didn’t notice it until after the most recent app update.