Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for all of the excellent work on this app!

I have a small bug that's easily overcome by force quitting the app. Occasionally, and I cannot pinpoint WHEN it happens, I cannot open a handful of bookmarks. It's as if there isn't an area to tap on to select it. I can scroll the list of bookmarks, and random other threads will work, but some just won't. It's inconsistent, different location of bookmark (1st/3rd/etc.) as well as different threads.

Not sure if you were aware of it, so figured to file it away. Not a big one to move to the top of the list though.

iPhone 8, newest iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I also deleted a bookmarked thread and it happened so fast I had no idea which one. The tolerance between grabbing a thread for deletion and swiping back to view a thread is too narrow.

Perhaps a pop up box asking if you want to remove the bookmark would solve? I imagine that is a pretty rare action as to not being overbearing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can we add a toggle in settings to disable pull for next page?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

It’s in Awful 3.4.4

Not in 3.4.5

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

b_d posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sleep deprived so I may just be repeatedly missing it but I can't find the option at all. It says Awful 3.45.

I looked for it ten times, you're not alone.

I hate the feature so I'm kind of mad on the internet, but then again it's an awesome dev so I know he'll bring it back.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Echoing my other sloppy scroller buddies. The end of the page serves as an anchor for me. Right now I keep missing the last post entirely as it kicks me over to the next page so even if I didn't care about marking the last post as read (since opening the next page now marks the last post of THAT page as read) I still have to go back and read the last post that I missed.

Just don't like the functionality. I'm web 1.0 also.

The Dave posted:

Toggles for everything is how you create a great android app.

Not like this toggle didn't exist in the last double dot version release...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

That doesn't invalidate my statement. I personally think the better approach is figuring out how to get it to work for everyone before lazily jumping to a toggle and a bloated app settings.

Though I will absolutely agree that it affects a wide type of users and has a super high rate of variability (posts on page, device) that you can't make a small change and push it without lots of testing. That's what the betas (should be) for though.

Fair enough, but my point was the toggle likely existed because of the conditions you're talking about. More than one use case and not having the option makes it a poor experience for one half or the other (forcing pull to swipe or forcing no pull to swipe)

I don't think we're near Android app terribleness territory in the least bit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thank you for returning the toggle to pull for next page! It's very appreciated.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Why not just have a config for the pull to refresh page?
Allow for shorter or longer distance and to increase/decrease the delay?

Chrome on iOS has a great pull function for refresh, back, and forward. You get the confirmation that it's about to execute one of those after a slight delay and when you release it does so. If you didn't want to, you slid your finger back to cancel. That'd be the best of all worlds IMO. If that was implemented well I'd say we wouldn't even need to the toggle, but keep it anyway!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

On the plus side, it doesn't appear to be marking last read at that message so there's that. When it is fixed you won't be missing any posts.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I prefer timg, gives you a clickable thumbnail that goes from small to big

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GenericGirlName posted:

My spoiler text as fixed for a while when I was on vacation over the weekend and then it wasn't anymore?? I'm posting about it but honestly as a software developer this is the worst possible vague post about a bug at all so please don't even respond to this.

Force closing the app and then restarting it brings back spoiler text reading. Then after some amount of time it stops.

Hope that helps.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Does a force quit restore spoiler tapping 100% of the time? Until it breaks again, I mean. Like if you force quit then does the first spoiler you tap thereafter always work?

Everytime in my limited sample size (at least a dozen or two)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I know this is dumb and would probably never work correctly but!!!

I would love it if we could “download” a thread for offline viewing. I travel a bit and it would be cool to be able to catch up on threads I haven’t had a chance to read for a few days (I’m looking at you r/relationships thread)

I get that it probably be a nightmare to do but hey I figure shoot for the moon!

Thanks love app.

I would love this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah it’s been a feature many have brought up over the years, I totally get pokeyman not wanting to try and stir that hornet’s nest. Some sort of fuckery would need to be happening behind the scenes.

With all of the twitter embeds, images, and such it seems like the best option would be to have a program render the whole thread page by page and print to PDF or something similar. Clickable links would even be amazing too so I could just use that to work through old threads. I'm nearly finishing my binge through the Tech Relics thread and that would have been a great way to work through it.

That being said, I'm not sure this should be an Awful App feature but a standalone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

There's a couple things to consider:

- Does it persistently update itself or are you just saving the point you initiate save for later
- If it does, at what regularity does it scrape the thread for new content
- How does that affect your unread count with the forums themselves?

It's not like it's impossible it just really takes the scope of the app past a mobile view of the forums.

Stop me if this isn't the right place to discuss this.

1. Makes the most sense to save it at the point you indicate from both a programming standpoint and user experience
2. See #1, it's an archive at point-in-time, so it doesn't do it
3. Have a few options, if left unchecked it marks the last available message it scans (assuming there's an option to do pages X - Y) as the last message, or after it does its thing it goes back and marks the first message as read. Not sure the utility in the latter though since you now have this great archive version you don't need a full thread of unread messages. Think this could easily be handled with some options.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've had it on and had the bug. Disabled it and will monitor.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Stringent posted:

Something I've always loved, but basically just take for granted now is the posting flow. Sending ppl into the preview before posting was a genius design decision.

Seconding this, it’s saved me from so many dumb post mistakes. Appreciate this very much.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

drat, you're really into nipples and ballcocks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ahhhh yes!! Just when I think this app is perfect.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bugs:

- pull for next page is on even though it's turned off in settings
- old bug, but smilies are doubled up. Two of everyone in the option

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Caithness posted:

Loving the dark tweets!

Not loving that pull for next page happens even when it’s disabled. The only thing the option changes now is whether an arrow is displayed while it’s happening.

Really hoping for a quick patch on this. Scroll to read last message, just as the last line loads, new page!

Very frustrating.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Long-touch on avatars gives this blank action sheet now, before it would open the av in the fullacreen image viewer

App version 3.52 (35204)

Works properly in 3.5.3

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Weedle posted:

I just got an update that fixes this. Check your App Store.

Hallelujah!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pokeyman, just wanted to give another thank you for all of your hard work on this app. I know it's the one I use the most on my phone and I bet when you're so deep in bug fixing you're not thinking about how much we love it, so we do. Keep on brother!