Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I dumped a Rad Racer cart onto my PC. The Good news is that I'm glad I found out my NES dump tools still works and it looks like the bsnes emulator is hot garbage for NES games.

But the bad news is my ROM looks...off. There are these black lines that come off the road in the distance that go into the sand. Playing the game off the NES doesn't have this issue. But I did fire up the No-Intro version and it has the same issue. Is it because of the Emulator or I am playing it off a LCD screen on a computer? I just wanna make sure my copying makes good ROMS.

Today was a retro gaming con in Hartford and I got the Retro Bug bad now. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and clean my NES, just gotta get the stuff to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

univbee posted:

If you're getting the same checksum as Goodtools/No-Intro your copying is fine, so the issue will definitely be something else. Try a different emulator and messing with the resolution/video settings to see if that gets rid of those lines.

Which Hash should I be looking at? MD5?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

univbee posted:

Any should work, even MD5, although it's fairly simplistic. There have been cases of ROM's having identical MD5's, I think some sketchy intro groups figured out how to get some GBA games to still have the same MD5 for example, so GoodGBA I think only checks with SHA-1 as a result. But I don't think there's any real risk of you dumping a game and getting the same MD5 on an accidental "bad" copy.

Ok. Cause my ROM dump's hash is not the same as my No-Intro Copy. That means I am loving something up?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What the gently caress? :psyduck: I mean, it's a good message but...why here of all places?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Hey, I had a booth this year at Retro World Expo, and I'm just curious if I accidentally met some goons. We are RetroGamingArts.

In Hartford? I was there. The girl in the blue dress and red hair in a ponytail?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 16, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Kazvall posted:

There we go! This was our first con, how did you like our table? I already thought of ways to do it better next year but I thought we did pretty well. If you met/talked to Noah then that's me.

For anyone curious, we were demoing all our modded consoles on a PVM and doing live modding. Was nice to see peoples reactions to rgb modded consoles whether it's nes, n64 or the turbo I finished the first morning.

E: hmm, did you have a booth too?

Ee: or you were the girl who came with her friend/girlfriend and you chatted with us for a bit!

It definetly looked cool. Though I am more interested in learning how to mod consoles myself then just buy them outright. You said your site has the tutorials for it all? It seems like half the fun of retro gaming involves the risk of either electrocuting yourself or burning yourself on a saudering iron.

No, I was alone and didn’t have a table.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So I’m lookking around for a guide to clean a nES, plus the pin connector. I found one guy who said to use rubbing alcohol and 600 grit sandpaper. Is he loving with me or is that how you actually are suppose to clean the pins? How do you all normally do it?

Also holy poo poo. Retro Youtubers, if your making how to guides on repairs and stuff then get on with it. I don’t need to see you skit or you go on for five minuets about how the last NES you bough had a crowded motherboard and bricked.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So is literally boiling a NES pinset a actual good idea? It sounds like I need to then bend the pins back up afterwards, I'm bending just the set the cart goes into. Correct?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

The boiling of the connector causes the pins to bend back to their original position.

Ok. So just in water on high for 30 minuets?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ok, the Boil is done, now just gotta let the connector and the housing dry. I still gotta clean the ray shield though. And there appears to be a lot of gunk on the piece where all the output ports are. At least I hope it's gunk and not corrosion.

And if my pins aren't working better, I'll get myself one of those Blinking Light win sets. I'm not so much of a hardware purist that not pushing the cart down wont bug me.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 17, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So I put the NES back together and fired it up. It works but I still need to fiddle with the cart repeatedly to get it to work. :( SO I bit the bullet and wen't ahead and bought the BLW mod. I should have it by the end of the week.

edit: So now, God help me, I'm looking at the AV mods for the front loader NESes. I'm also looking at Monitor Burn's SAMart thread. What do you all recommend, the NESRGB or the Hi-Def NES HDMI? If I wanted to take that next step. I'm probably going to pay him to do it, if I do.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 18, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ok, got my blinking light win mod and holy crap it's awesome. No more fiddling with carts!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh cool. I was in this Panel! :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So I bought a copy of Pro Wrestling for the NES from a pawn shop today after work. I just cleaned it and...oh Honey. What did they do to you?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 20, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

HEYO! Thread, long time no see.

I need a recommendation for a PSX emulator to play on WIndows 10. I just got into the mood for some FF7,

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So I wen't over to my sister's house today because she thought she still had a box load of NES carts. Unfortunately she didn't, but we did find something cool along with the old toys, old art projects and Penthouse stashes.

First up we have an Atari 2600 with a few games, a touch pad controller with a Star Raiders insert, and a "Video Game Organizer" It even has a lid you can put over it when your not using it.

Next we have a second Atari 2600 that is filthy as hell. I'm gonna have to clean it if I even wanna attempt to use it. You can hear the dirt rattling around inside.

Here are all the other controllers I found with it. As you can see, one of the paddle controller unfortunately is missing the button on the side and the knob. I haven't touched a Atari much before, so i'm actually kind of shocked at how the stiff the joysticks are. Not sure though if thats just age or not though.

And then there was a Defender manual. In good condition actually. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a TV to actually play this stuff on. I'll have to find one if I wanna see if it all works. Also, the power adapter for it is a Radio Shack universal adapter that has multiple voltage settings. I'm afraid of shocking the thing if I set that thing wrong.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 21, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So if I wanted to print new labels for cartridges, what kind of paper should I get?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

WELP! I stripped a screw trying to take apart the ray shielding to an Atari 2600. I gotta get it off so I can clean cart slot. :(

Any ideas?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Dropped by my local goodwill and they actually had a very clean Genesis model 1 (the later with out HD audio or whatever written on it). Paired with 3 great condition controllers and a Nintendo power brick, but no video. They wanted $30 which looks to be reasonable compared to eBay prices. I was tempted to grab it but with my small genesis collection an already having a retrogen and retron5, I left it. Don’t want to deal with doing any mods to get better than composite and not too interested in buying more genesis games. But that was promising since it was my first time at this goodwill since moving here a year ago. Had a bunch of Wii’s and a 360 as well. So will continue to drop by there periodically.

I actually did the walk around of various thrift stores in my area a few times. No one had any real electronics to speak of unfortunately. I think Retro gamers have picked those places clean here.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'f your into vinyl records of old soundtracks, polka and country music, my Salvation Army has you covered.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So my current Retro Gaming Life right now.

I got one of the Atari 2600s I got from my sister all cleaned and put back together. Looks Nice. Now I'm just waiting for the Coaxial Adapter and the new plug so I can actually use it. I then want to try soldering. My first one is to do the RGB mod for the 2600 http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/ I figure it would be best to practice on these because if I do gently caress up badly enough, I have another I can try again on.

If I do it correctly and am confidant enough, I wanna move on to Mod a NES to output better.

Also Im on Facebook marketplace, trying to find a good, small CRT TV to put on my desk. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am officially In To Deep!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Get a PVM. You can get 'em with RGB in 8"/9" and 13"/14" sizes. Sony for the latter, but I'd suggest looking at Panasonic's BT-S915DA as an alternative brand for the former.

Besides Ebay and facebook and craigslist where usually people selling know their worth to retro gamers. Where else should I look for PVMs.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Hum....I finally found someone who returned my messages. It's a Toshiba 13 inch with a built in VCR. Only has Coaxial and Mono Composite inputs. It's kind of crappy but for just using the NES and Atari, I think it might be fine for my purposes for now for twenty bucks. I would like something better eventually. Maybe I can try pawn shops since I know a few the way I'm going to get it.

Edit: I would just need to find composite cables for the NES.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 31, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So to begin in case anyone asks, Yes. I am VERY bad at money. Don't @ me. I am aware.

So I wen't and got my 13'inch Toshiba MV13N3 CRT. Tested it out on my NES, looks and works great. Really bright though. And I learned that the remote I was given to it doesn't go with the TV. I think it goes to a DVD player or something. Now i'm scared to check if I hit the channel up button by mistake, I won't be able to get back to the Line in by just hitting the other direction. I remember that not always being the case with CRTs.

Also, while I was out I decided to check a pawn shop in the area out. They usually had some good NES games. While I was there I asked them if they had old CRTs. He said no but he did have a old SD LCD tv. A Sharp LC-15SH7U. Probably from probably 15 years ago. It takes up less space than the CRT I found so I was considering it. Good Idea or no?

And here is my new super awesome NES corner, right nest to my PC.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

gently caress you Ultima Exodus on the NES! I want a female Fighter and wizard! :argh:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Cornflakes posted:

I think they're great for PS3 too, some games that can't quite handle 720p look so much better.

Sad news, Bob from RetroRGB is done with his weekly updates for the foreseeable future. Here's his last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i69YUDkDiY

I tried watching a couple of these and it seems like he would be better off just making separate videos for each topic he wants to cover in a episode.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Anyway, I did pick up a few more games today. I got Gauntlet for the NES. Actually really fun. It even had a manual.

Also picked up a game called Codename Viper and...

Sir! Have you seen my pants? Sir!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 9, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So is anyone else into Homebrew games or ROM Hacks on NES carts? It's something that I wanted to dive deeper into, especially trying to put together some of my own. For now I wanna focus on games that are STUPID expensive of Translations of games only released in japan. But I need to figure out what PCBs to get for Translated games.

Does anyone here do it?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 15, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ARRRGH! So many things I want to do involving my NES BUY! But alas, no money.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Woo! I found a copy of Final Fantasy for the NES. :toot:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Does Jet FOrce Gemini hold up? Because drat that was a fun game.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

It's the Rare collectathon to end all collectathons.

Thats not necessarily a BAD thing honestly.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Hey everyone, I was hoping someone can help me remember a old PS2 JRPG. If I saw screenshots of it I would remember it instantly but the title is escaping me.

So it's a PS2 JRPG that had multiple main stories. You picked which one you wanted to play on the main menu. The art style was this storybook, paper cutout animation style. Like a high fantasy paper Mario. The world map screen was just a series of territories on a map that you moved a token with your character's face on it around and that would lead to fights or events. Combat itself was your standard JRPG. I remember a lot of roullette wheels too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sounds like one of the SaGa games

Unlimited Saga! Looking at the box art jogged my memory. Thank you!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

That's exactly why I used the US qualifier. Crazy Frog Racer is also Europe / Australia only, we never got that trash in the US. The worst PS2 game in the US is probably not even worst 50 in PAL.

Ehh, I feel like if you are making a worst of list, you have to exclude the obvious shovleware unless there's something truly special about it.

Like, i knew there was a crazy frog game. I dont have to play it to know it's bad.

As for Unlimited Saga. Yeah, this feels just as importable as when i first played it years ago. Oh well, lets go play Xenosaga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I am about 6 hours into Xenosaga 1 for the PS2 and I loving love it. It's 2000s anime as gently caress, we got a magical girl, An emotionless blue haird Android that's gonna be key to the whole thing, a silver haired twink that can teleport, sci-fi and world building poo poo that's being thrown at you a mile a minuet and you have no clue what any of it means yet, useless christian and jewish mythology, a card game! This game has it all!