Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

BOO!!

Whoops, sorry to scare you like that! Don't worry, that will launder right out, I'm assuming. But you see what I was going for I hope, sometimes it's fun to be scared and/or tricked. And if some delicious food and/or drink happens to be involved, it's even better!

Once again, I'm really sorry. Here, I have some napkins left over from my takeout burrito, help yourself. (Or should I say . . . BOO-rito? Ah gently caress I did it again, sorry sorry sorry.)

Anyway, the contest! The gist is the same as last year's contest:

quote:

Make something edible or drinkable that is in some sense "tricky." What that might mean is up to you--it could be a special secret ingredient, it could be food that looks like one thing and tastes like another, it could be simply spookily decorative. The basic rule is that it must be actually edible/drinkable, and to prove it you must take at least a bite/sip of it yourself (trip reports optional but very welcome). Post photos, descriptions, even recipes if you feel like it.

This year, instead of having separate categories, we're going to be declaring a single winner, taking into account presentation, taste, and "trickiness." Will it be judged, or put to a vote? We'll see, I'm currently thinking a vote may be the best way to go.

The winner gets their choice of an av cert or other forums upgrade. Runners-up may be awarded prizes, or not, at my sole, unreliable, arbitrary discretion.

Entries will be accepted up to and including Friday Nov. 3. That gives people plenty of time to recover from their Halloween festivities and post stuff they might have made for the holiday itself.

Oh and by the way, don't think it has to be solely about the food/drink. It is perfectly possible, for example, to try to "trick" people into supporting your cause, as in the following example that has been subtly altered to make it more inclusive:

I like how this message is implicitly reinforced by the use of candy corn, which is objectively terrible.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

I'll do cookies again and document it again

cda

by Hand Knit
I wonder if GWS would like to get in on this.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

cda posted:

I wonder if GWS would like to get in on this.

interesting thought. it might be worth a crosspost there inviting them to come here and join if they like. I love gws but their focus, for the most part, seems to be more on the food and demonstrating effort and less on just having fun (see: chili, chickencheese). they'd have to understand that while an amazing icsa-style effort thing would be incredibly awesome, it could easily be beaten out by somebody putting together mostly purchased items in a really funny way. I mean, the amazing thing probably would win to be fair, but they'd have to get that it wouldn't necessarily.

if anyone has views on this I'd love to hear them

mags
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
is it possible to make weed candy corn

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Manifisto

mister magpie posted:

is it possible to make weed candy corn

goodness! taint the sanctity of one of nature's perfect foods with the devil's lettuce?

seems pretty twisted if you ask me

mags
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Manifisto posted:

goodness! taint the sanctity of one of nature's perfect foods with the devil's lettuce?

seems pretty twisted if you ask me

we are on the same spooky wavelength, methinks

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Manifisto

reminder: savory foods can be tricky too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4bGpVWuwCo

I think I may post some videos/web pages for inspiration every so often

but of course a few minutes of googling will bring up a ridiculous number of ideas

Manifisto

hello friends! I hope you had a good halloween.

lest you think I forgot my own contest, a tricky treat has indeed been constructed . . . or, well, it's mostly done. I need to put some finishing touches on it, photograph it, etc. hopefully that will happen today, maybe tomorrow?

good news though, the contest lasts until friday! plenty of time to sort out the photographs from your evening of revelry, or even make something!

vanisher

I had plans but then I had a horrible kitchen flood. I will make a thing hopefully soon to honor my post

Manifisto

what's scarier than the darkness of a deep black forest?

the things that are hiding in that darkness, of course!

another scary thing is adulthood. and this tricky treat is meant to evoke (and celebrate) the anxieties and pleasures of both being lost in the black forest, and being caught in the wilds of adulthood.

black forest cake (schwarzwälder kirschtorte) takes a simple childhood pleasure, chocolate cake, and adds a decidedly adult twist: it is spiked with kirsch liqueur, a strong brandy distilled from sour cherries.

this particular version runs with that theme by adding some additional adult tricks: a sinful salted chocolate ganache coating, and a decidedly grown-up filling of whipped cream flavored with more kirsch.

more whipped cream and sour morello cherries are layered on top, as well as some black forest friends who would like nothing better than to invite you into their homes (fashioned out of white chocolate).

yep, nothing at all suspicious hiding in the middle!

trip report: uh this was really, really good. although the ganache seems to be quite nontraditional I thought it added a lot of welcome complexity (I sprinkled a few flakes of sea salt on top of the ganache before topping with whipped cream, I think that was a good move as well). sour cherries are a must, the thing would be too sweet otherwise. 10/10 would spider again.

however I am not sure the cake, taken as a whole, really is a sign of maturity . . .

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

:eyepop:

FluffieDuckie

holy crap that was pretty

i was a baking failure this halloween. sorry :(

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Robot Made of Meat

Manifisto posted:

what's scarier than the darkness of a deep black forest?

the things that are hiding in that darkness, of course!

another scary thing is adulthood. and this tricky treat is meant to evoke (and celebrate) the anxieties and pleasures of both being lost in the black forest, and being caught in the wilds of adulthood.

black forest cake (schwarzwälder kirschtorte) takes a simple childhood pleasure, chocolate cake, and adds a decidedly adult twist: it is spiked with kirsch liqueur, a strong brandy distilled from sour cherries.

this particular version runs with that theme by adding some additional adult tricks: a sinful salted chocolate ganache coating, and a decidedly grown-up filling of whipped cream flavored with more kirsch.

more whipped cream and sour morello cherries are layered on top, as well as some black forest friends who would like nothing better than to invite you into their homes (fashioned out of white chocolate).

yep, nothing at all suspicious hiding in the middle!

trip report: uh this was really, really good. although the ganache seems to be quite nontraditional I thought it added a lot of welcome complexity (I sprinkled a few flakes of sea salt on top of the ganache before topping with whipped cream, I think that was a good move as well). sour cherries are a must, the thing would be too sweet otherwise. 10/10 would spider again.

however I am not sure the cake, taken as a whole, really is a sign of maturity . . .

I'm not a huge fan of desserts, but black forest cake has undeniable appeal. And yours looks vrai tasty! Indeed, I'd eat the h*ck out of that cake!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

that treat looks really good and tricky and yummy

i might still make something by Friday but I've been really busy sorry :glomp:

City of Glompton

that cake drat...

I'm making pumpkin seeds but I'm letting them soak in vlassic pickle juice first. it's an experiment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

okay folks! the deadline has passed, the entries have been painstakingly assessed, the votes have been tallied. and the winner of this year's contest is . . . wait for it . . .

clicky

congratulations!! however, tricks and treats aside, let's not forget that in a way, we are all winners.*

ty nesamdoom!

• Locked thread