Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

that video in the last thread of the pyro's (old)projectile airblast hitbox was really funny, not so much because it's an enormous cube(although that is funny) but because it's aligned to the map grid and doesn't turn with the pyro in question so if you're at a 45 degree angle to the map grid you get bonus range on your airblast

Seeing that really helped explain a lot of airblast issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mabels big day posted:

Engineer: gently caress these changes, thanks for making the Rescue Ranger absolutely useless.

yes, thanks Valve for nerfing this awful gun into the ground. namaste

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Maybe most relevant in competitive, make it more difficult/less predictable having the other team's medic lose all uber build by killing him.

I mean, there are definitely scenarios where being able to bank uber for later would be advantageous--say you've won a fight and have a chance to get a couple stabs in during mop-up, and know that you're already going to have uber ready before the next fight. But that's a fairly narrow niche and the ubersaw's immediate benefit seems more broadly applicable. Particularly since it sounds like you still need to have uber built up in order to carry it over, which means if you die 5 seconds after your uber is done it's all for naught anyhow, so you're basically banking on winning two fights in a row.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Man, it's tough to come back to TF2. Had a blast for about 10 minutes, then I was reminded that random crits still exist.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

I wouldn't like them in a competitive setting bit come on man, this is tf2, stop caring about dying

Yes, it is TF2, a fun game, which I would like to play instead of staring at a respawn screen

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

and that can't hit multiple people at once.

It absolutely can. If anything, I think it may be more effective against crowds because of the huge hitbox (I've hit people wrapped all the way around corners with this thing, it's stupid.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, they completely squandered all of the cool stuff that the spy adds to the game, such as

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'd be pretty happy with spies having rare super-ultra DR escapes instead of constant regular DR escapes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They did just rip out the pyro's airblast detection and rebuild it from the ground up with completely different mechanics and geometry, so that may be throwing you off just a little.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

Listen, if he knows how to build his own rocket launcher out of old plumbing fixtures and garbage I'm sure he knows how to stabilize a pistol.

By relentlessly yelling at the pistol to break down its self esteem so that you can build it back up as a member of the greatest fighting machine known to man?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lol if you think TF2 managed to get a stealth/deception class right

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I think OW has demonstrated that not bothering to implement matchmaking for so long was the best decision the TF2 team ever made.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

The fact that it extinguishes also means that it can fail to kill scouts if you puff them and then follow through with the axe. They'll survive with like 2 hp sometimes.

The idea behind the atomizer is you have to pull it out before you start jumping to get any extra air, at which point you might as well just use the Winger anyway because it's the same thing but without a switch penalty.

The Winger leaves you with a weaker backup weapon. Atomizer gives pistol scouts added maneuverability outside of combat without any real drawback, which is why they're so allergic to letting it be good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm finding just the opposite :shrug: I haven't played in months but I was used to steamrolls being the norm, I'm seeing a lot more back-and-forth now. There's still the occasional roll but they're always something obvious like "that team has 6 spies" that usually corrects itself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
from hell's heart I market gardener thee; for hate's sake I spam my last keybind at thee

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

It's the best multi player shooter ever in my opinion. The art style means it never looks dated and the mechanics are so varied and fun.

The engine is definitely showing its age. Player collision detection is a shitshow, which makes melee combat super frustrating.

Still, the mechanics are beautiful otherwise. I miss the death of the server model--the lack of matchmaking was accidentally one of the game's best features and I'm sad it's gone. But it's still a great game to jump back into now and again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

If you have been getting random lag on servers apparently one of the hackers that makes the tf2 cheats is mad at valve for shutting him down and has these "lagbots" which automatically ddos the server. Very annoying. Your ping will show fine but every one lags about.

This explains a lot. I've always had issues with spotty connection so random bouts of lag are to be expected, but I was wondering why it wasn't showing my ping tanking (not to mention why I don't immediately get gibbed when I start lagging midfight.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

- Updated the Autobalance system to skip asking/waiting for volunteers. Instead, it will go straight to switching candidates to balance the teams.

meh, I can't really see this being an improvement. I doubt it's going to do enough to make a completely lopsided match fun for anyone and less lopsided matches usually get corrected much more smoothly by the current system.

Like, it's not at all uncommon for the volunteer popup to appear in the middle of a decently competitive match and then have the other team fill up from new players joining while it's waiting. That's a much more ideal resolution to that scenario than force switching someone in the middle of a heated match and then slotting newcomers in behind them on the team they just left.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 17, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Matchmaking is what killed Overwatch for me. If you're playing on a server with 20+ randos of varying skill level, being off your game might mean that you wind up getting outplayed by 3 or 4 extra people out of 20 (compared to where you're usually at.) If you're playing on a server with 11 equally competent randos, being off your game means that you're getting badly outplayed by 11 out of 11 players. The whole Overwatch experience is just absolutely miserable for any kind of casual play.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you’re getting dominated by a phlog pyro you really only have yourself to blame. Every class can deal with a phlog pyro and if they get in their effective range it’s either because they outplayed you hard (it takes a lot more effort to get into range as a phlog pyro then it takes to stop them) or you have the awareness of a rock

really it's usually about what everybody else is doing. phlog pyro draws so much hate because it completely shits all over the idea of Noble 1v1 Dueling. you die because your teammates hosed up and fed the pyro and because the enemies did their job and held your attention away from him. the enemy team did everything right and your team did everything wrong but it's Not Fair because some random clown comes in and deletes you while you're in the middle of an epic standoff with the rest of the enemy team.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PinheadSlim posted:

I feel a small connection to what class you're playing has a factor on how mad some people get.

Sniper taunts get people way more upset than any other class in my experience. One time I taunted a guy after killing him with a charged bodyshot and he spent the next ten minutes writing an essay about how I was in fact bad at the game.

To this day some of the most fun I've had in this game is taunting on huntsman kills.

Especially against other snipers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
For me the 6v6 matchmaking format is just awful for casual play compared to 12v12 drop in/drop out servers, regardless of the problems with game balance and design.

But yeah, TF2 really nailed the pacing and lethality of combat in a way that Overwatch never really did.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ptroll posted:

There's some serious wizardry in the pace and scale of TF2. Somehow you can simultaneously have one or two players on a team absolutely carry a round, and yet having a few players on that same team loving around throwing sandwiches at each other doesn't drag the entire team down.
Contrast that to OW, where if one player out of your six is loving around you just sorta lose, and a single player really can't carry all that hard.

It's weird because OW tends to be more mechanically demanding. In TF2 a really good scout or soldier isn't really going to kill you faster than an okay scout or soldier. In OW DPS vs DPS fights there's more of a gulf in execution, but you can't solo a tank just by aiming really well. Which is probably part of the toxicity.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I disagree. Hit boxes in OW are huge and everyone moves relatively slow.

Crit boxes are still way smaller than TF2 hitboxes, and there's way less falloff so you can't just rely on point blank shots as much as TF2.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that TF2 doesn't have its own mechanical demands, but they don't have the same direct impact on time to kill that they do in OW.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
1. Play Huntsman
2. Kill enemy sniper
3. Taunt
4. Watch them taunt and immediately die every time they kill you for the rest of the match

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Galaxander posted:

What is everyone's favorite map?

Mine's Nucleus. I know a lot of people hate this map, but I just love it. There are almost no points in the map that are feasibly defendable, so you gotta be a shark and just keep swimming.

The upstairs area can be a little bit of a problem if a team sets up there to spawn camp from that angle, but casual is usually too disorganized for that, thankfully. Mini-sentries can be an irritation, but one direct hit soldier can put a cramp on that pretty easily. I see people say snipers have it too easy on Nucleus, but I don't understand that as it's one of very few maps where flanking sniper positions is actually easy to do.

Plus the whole place looks like a James Bond villain's doomsday device facility or something.

Nucleus does two great things with snipers: snipers have easy access to the point, and everyone else has easy access to the snipers. Snipers wind up actually fuckin participating a lot more than they do on most maps, which is one of the many reasons Nucleus is objectively the best TF2 map.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

I have--relatively--good news!

It's 1/3 of a good nap (maybe even 1/2, the first stage is ok.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I barely bothered with it myself but on the receiving end I think maybe 2% of the sandman/guillotine attempts that came my way managed to land both hits. And most of those were surprise attacks that would have killed me just as dead with 2 shots of anything anything else. I don't know that I've ever had a situation where I felt "I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling sandman+guillotine combo :argh:"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

So it's good that the player who worked hard and practiced more and hit two shots with different range requirements with different arcs of flight won over the player who presumably did not.

it's more like the player who worked hard and practiced more and hit two shots with different range requirements with different arcs of flight mostly lost to the player who presumably did not, but it was really funny on the rare occasions it worked

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

It's all about knowing which way to run. If you could get them to chase after you (note how the enemy is in full control of this tactical mistake and unless you are a scout yourself chasing a scout is entirely pointless) you could get your kill.

lol now I understand why some people manage to have so much trouble with something apparently harmless, thank you for explaining friend :ms:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
When I was actually good at scout I went stock pistol almost 100% of the time, bullet shooting man demands more bullets to shoot

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
jumped back in for a few minutes of nostalgic fun and got a hot poo poo scout to ragequit with a huntsman headshot

TF2, you've still got it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
tf2, a haiku

Start of overtime.
Heavy stops to eat sandvich —
First, steps off the point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pyro doesn't seem that bad to me, especially since they overhauled the worst of its engine jank. It does have some underlying design issues that could be cleaned up--it never had a clearly defined role and while stapling on airblast helped a lot it's still a bailing-wire-and-duct-tape sort of fix.

I just don't think Spy is a workable concept without an engine overhaul. Melee abilities are not a great fit with a game engine that shits the bed when players collide.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Paladins and Overwatch have neat ideas and mechanics buried under dreadful design principles like ults, and shielding/damage negation.

The switch to small teams driven by matchmaking was definitely not an improvement as far as casual play is concerned.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I feel like barriers were originally designed as a solution to chokepoint/sniper lane issues that wouldn't exist with better map design and more mobility options. I can see the appeal but there are already better solutions to the problems that they solve, and in return they just introduce even more problems.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Overwatch might have the right idea with a larger number of specifically defined individual classes, if nothing else. With too many weapons and unlocks there's a point where choice paralysis gets really bad, and balance exponentially harder.

I could see a hybrid route where subclasses are somewhat more codified to simplify loadouts and make identification easier. Having an entire new character seems like overkill and means you either have a bunch of nearly identical clone characters and have to learn to recognize several different looking characters as basically the same thing, or you make them all different for the sake of being different and now you have to learn a completely different character despite filling substantially the same role.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the chief v2 posted:

Did none of y’all play qwtf or tfc? Rocket jumping and conc jumping seem to have been intended, and definitely were in tfc. Bunny hopping was in qwtf and came into tfc at 1.5 but was patched later to put a cap on it. It all seems consistent for the franchise

Yeah, the unintended discovery of rocket jumping dates all the way back to Doom. From what I can recall was not widely known when Quake was released and Quake did not really incorporate it into its gameplay or level design, but it pretty quickly became widespread and was definitely well established by the time the TF mod came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

its also one of the most versatile weapons in the game, doing something no matter who you hit. also when you land a sick long range heal, even if the guy was 10hp from max you feel like a goddamn hero, and when you outsnipe a sniper it feels great. the inverse falloff mechanic is complete genius and should be in at least a couple more weapons

Inverse falloff is a loving terrible idea, they've tried it several times on other weapons and it's dumb and miserable. The further a projectile travels the less control you have over whether it hits.

It works for the crossbow because its DPS is so terrible that the damage bonus is not overly punishing, and the healing bonus can be coordinated with your teammate which is worth rewarding.