Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hungry Bit posted:

I haven't touched the game since trading was patched in (2013?) and the game turned into an auction house simulator where you got kicked from servers if you didn't want to trade hats.

Has it reverted back to being a fun multiplayer shooter yet? I kinda want to try again but I'm worried if the game ultimately went the way of CSGO with all the loot and trading mechanisms.

I haven't seen anyone trade on regular or matchmaking servers in ages.
When some is spamming PLZ TRADE they usually either get yelled at or ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I am Reverend posted:

How is the vita saw not just worse than the uber saw

Maybe most relevant in competitive, make it more difficult/less predictable having the other team's medic lose all uber build by killing him.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Otacon posted:

Is there more to the Rescue Ranger changes than just "repairs now cost metal?"

Apparently having it equipped doubles build speed during setup time? It sounds like each wrench swing will put 50 metal into buildings instead of 25 with RR now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Well, the new Main Menu sure is something. Doesn't seem like the servers are back up yet though, so no point in rushing too much yet.

Just going to run around on cp_mercenarypark for myself and check out the new map.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can't recommend going into the water.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep, the Engineer change is just that during setup, regardless of what primary you have, you put 50 metal into buildings for upgrade instead of 25.

Mann Co Store is still not quite up so can't get the campaign pass yet :(

Edit: I assume those limited supplies are just limits on how many times you can take each reward. So you can't take war paints for every single contract.

Also holy poo poo, 108 contracts in the Mercenary Park pack.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 20, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mann Co Store seems to be working again!

Time to throw some money at gaben.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

How much does a campaign pass cost?

€5.10

Not sure about other currencies.

Edit: Also the max-health regen for GRU/Eviction Notice is the same as the drain rate. Just taking out the GRU also drains 20 max-health immediately. If you touch a refill locker while below normal max-health with the GRU deselected (so in regen-mode) it freezes your health but keeps regenning max-health, effectively damaging you.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 21, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's a ton of community servers running the new maps already. You just can't work contracts on those.
Maybe it's better to just sleep and come back to (hopefully) working servers later.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Team composition: 8 pyros, 1 engineer, 2 heavy, 1 medic.
Playing with/against a team full of pyros is much more fun than with/against a team of all spy/sniper, so that's something.

I just wish they'd remember to airblast their burning, non-asbestos-clad teammates once in a while.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What the hell, every time the game I'm on votes next map to be Banana Bay, the server appears to shut down/crash when the map changes?

I'm also having the bug with items granted for a contract disappearing while the contract is still active.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 21, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

Handy hint to anyone who just started the pyro campaign. do NOT go for the gas cannister thing before the flame thrower. It doesn't recharge like mad milk or just only get one use them you need to restock it. It's dependant on damage you do. and on servers full of pyros with only the flame thrower and no secondary. you almost never get a chance to use it. I'm gonna be stuck trying to clear this one for a while. :saddowns: ...

I don't understand its recharge mechanic yet, but the primary part of the contract itself wasn't too difficult, and you need to finish it for the jetpack anyway.
It's a bit annoying having to juggle between different contracts depending on what the map can support, especially for the campaign contracts since you start out with Offense, Defense and Merc Park contracts (after the Free For All one). And most of the new maps are symmetric (KOTH and PLR) so you can't score on the Offense and Defense contracts at all, and obviously Merc Park contract depends on playing that map.

Is anyone else getting visual glitches like this on some of the new maps?

I tried doing a Verify Game Files in Steam but it doesn't seem like it repaired anything.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

If I hand in a contract without completing the bonus missions, can I go back to it later or is it closed forever? I haven't finished the first contract yet because I still need to get 10 points in one life 3 more times :suicide:

Yes. You can always re-activate a contract with incomplete objectives. I've done that several times already. You can also switch away from a contract with a partially completed objective, and resume it later.

When I played on Mossrock (CP attack/defend) previously, I switched between the Attack and Defense contracts between rounds, even if they weren't complete. Then when the next map was Banana Bay, which doesn't have attacking/defending teams, I switched back to the Free For All contract to complete the 10 points in a single life bonus objective, which is easy when you have a cart to push and pyros to mow down with a minigun :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

You get more stars, which allow you to unlock contracts that need multiple stars. In the pyro ones, just the banana contract.

I haven't tried the jungle contracts yet, but I imagine those bonus objectives also get you more 'blood money'.

Nope, doing bonus objectives on jungle contracts still only gets you more stars. But you will need a lot of stars to unlock every contract to get all the blood money.

If you want to get to all the map contracts you have to first get through the 2fort contract (and the Merc Park contract).

Apparently also, those contracts that have 3 "Activate" buttons on them, what those do is you select one variation of the contract permanently. E.g. choosing the Heavy version of the Defensive Classes one, I can't go back and do Demoman instead.

Edit: One more thing: Yes, those two war paint cases you can buy for blood money, they also require a key to unlock. So to claim all of the limited items for yourself you will need at least 4 keys, in addition to the campaign pass. They become tradeable after 7 days, it looks like.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 21, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Slime posted:

now the searching for game indicator is in...chinese? Japanese? I don't know them well enough to tell the difference but it's definitely an asian language

and i can't stop searching for a game

and when i joined a community server i couldn't actually select a class except heavy because it wanted me to select one with a controller that wasn't even connected

update status so far: raging garbage fire

Tried deleting all your config files from the game?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Slime posted:

I've cleared both the cfg and custom folders, no change, it's still hosed

use the gamepad is unchecked and it's still insisting i use the 360 controller

My best suggestion then is to open Device Manager, turn on Show Hidden Devices in the View menu, and see if you can find any grayed out version of it there. If you can, try removing it. Also check the Controller settings in Steam itself, and the Game Controllers control panel in Windows.
Apart from that, make sure to click the "Submit a bug" button on the main menu and describe the problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

treat posted:

Oh drat, you got me. Yup, it's a rocket launcher for the pyro. Man, you really catch the bullshit, don't you?

Except it has really short range and doesn't explode as such? It's just an alternate flamethrower that rewards precise single-shot aim and timing over decent tracking aim.

Too much Banana Bay :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The really sad thing is that their matchmaking servers apparently can't handle this frankly not that big load. Matching up perhaps 1000-2000 players queuing at a time shouldn't take this long. As long as it's this bad the game won't be able to have a resurgence for that alone.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i dont really get the Dragon's Fury's reload text. it says something about hitting consecutive shots giving you a bonus reload speed but i dont remember needing to ever reload

Delay between shots. If you airblast there is a long delay until you can shoot it again, if you shoot and miss there is a normal delay until you can shoot again, and if you shoot and hit there is only a short delay. My first interpretation was that it was an infinite ammo thing like the Cow Mangler.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay after seeing this I'll agree that the new Pyro weapons are probably OP. (Skip to around 19 minutes.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeY5UGIgmQ&t=1157s
Absolutely tearing through MvM with it.

The only counter against a posse of pyros is to catch them at range before it's too late?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

What? This update gave the pyro a rocket launcher. Half a dozen pyros spam the Dragon at you, and your sentry goes right the gently caress down (nevermind that the sentry doesn't shield you from the projectile, so you get burned down in an instant)

Sentry has like 3x the range of Dragon's Fury. Yes a pyro will tear up an engineer trying to build a new nest, but against a properly set up sentry a lone pyro can't do poo poo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay experiment time. One level 3 sentry in the open, one engineer whacking at it, one level 3 dispenser behind the engineer. How many dragon pyros are required to take it down?
What if it's a level 2 sentry (so no rockets to reflect)?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

Killing a capturing enemy has always showed up in the killfeed as "defended the objective"

But that's apparently not good enough for some "defend the point" contracts.

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: xander, killing a guy who is touching the cart, or even just touching the cart while someone is pushing it, also counts as defending.

I think only when you kill the last enemy pushing the cart, i.e. makes it stop.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So how about that Heavy overheal exploit, huh?

I did encounter a few heavies that seemed to suck up far too much damage. So there may actually be some bug? (I'd guess with the new GRU max-health-drain mechanic.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eugh the 2fort map contract was a slog. Ended up with 4+4 players on a matchmaking server just trying to organize helping each other with contracts. At least it's over with now and I can access the other map contracts.

Edit: This seems to be the right choice for the pattern.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 22, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually I wonder how long the Pyroland contracts are going to run. Just for as long as the Merc Park ones, or indefinitely? Will the new Pyro weapons eventually become regular drops? Will weapons obtained from the contracts become Genuine quality then? I could imagine at least the slap-hand and banana in Genuine quality become a slight rarity.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

loving noob pyros don't know to airblast teammates on fire.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jippa posted:

Does the match making server work yet?

Yesterday I got into a game within 5 minutes. It's gotten better at least.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder if Banana Bay could actually become a comp league map? I think it has most of the qualities needed for one.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Is there a point to finishing every single contract? Or at least every primary objective?

Yes, get more stars, needed to unlock contracts. Basic contracts cost one star to unlock, some cost two or three stars, and some super bonus require many more.
E.g. the Hot Hand pyroland contract requires 9 stars, which means you actually need to have completed all the bonus objectives of all the other contracts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

lol today's patch

quote:

• Fixed all classes doing 3x damage when landing on enemies
  • Fixed the Flare Contract Bonus Objective requiring mini-crit kills instead of crit kills
  • Made it easier to score "defend an objective" style Contract objectives
  • Lowered the requirements for the Amputator Contract's bonus objectives
  • Fixed a case where players standing directly in front of the Pyro would not get burned
  • Fixed a bug related to the Medi Gun and changing class/loadout while being healed
  • Updated Mann vs. Machine
    • Removed the "Faster recharge rate" upgrades from The Dragon's Fury
    • Fixed the missing "Increased Airblast Push Force" upgrade on The Dragon's Fury
"Maybe we made the dragon a bit too strong in MvM"

I hope the "easier to score defend objectives" also counts for killing enemies pushing a cart, it's infuriating shooting at and killing people who were right next to the cart 1 second ago and not scoring on that.

Also

quote:

Updated the Case Global Unusual Effects to draw from a pool of previous years' Halloween Unusual effects during the Scream Fortress IX event. This applies to all cosmetic cases.
Time to open some crates! :homebrew:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe new Halloween content next year. But we could get a Smissmass present of improved matchmaking?!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ariong posted:

You can blast forward with the jetpack.

No it's every class doing it. And they fixed the jetpack working during freeze time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey that wasn't too hard actually.

Mostly just the slog of doing stupid things for contract bonus objectives.
I'll probably wait for a while before redeeming it or see if it's worth selling. Would be nice with a medigun in that pattern, but I'd rather much have it strange, otherwise it'd just be a downgrade.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

You can sell it right now - and it will (as I understand it) only go down in price as more people complete their contracts.

There's the 7 day trade hold on it, and I'm also locked out from trading because I moved my Steam Guard to a new phone recently. Apparently that places a 15 day block on all trading and Steam Market activity.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

FishMist posted:

that's the reward for completing the Mercenary World contract right? do you need to spend blood money for it too?

No, you just get it as a reward for that contract, along with 250 blood money. It's listed as the only war paint in a collection called Saxton Select, and unlike all the other war paints can only paint a few specific weapons. You just need to pay 20 stars to unlock the contract, and can earn up to 3 stars back from it like all the other contracts, so it effectively costs 17 stars.

My guess would be that they want this paint to be strictly limited to the campaign period, it probably won't become a random drop or come in crates.

On spending blood money, I've mostly spent mine on the ¤100 paint can "crate" but naturally getting almost nothing but Civic Duty. I just don't feel much for any of the paints directly for sale, and there are a few of the rarest you can only uncrate from the paint cans right?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

its hosed beyond belief that the paints generate a new weapon rather than, y'know...painting an existing weapon.

That would give problems with special qualities/attachments, like what if you painted a Vintage, would it remain vintage or would it erase that quality? If you could paint a Strange, then strange paints wouldn't be rare. From a business/economy standpoint it's the most sensible thing :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can I just rage about these loving skins one more time?

Civic Duty and Civil Servant are poo poo skins and it's all I ever get. Last 10 paint cans unboxed were nothing but those two.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I had to spend at least three rounds on each of 2fort, Turbine and Hightower. At least other players on Hightower believed me when I said the round has to end for contract points to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The idea for the new Reserve Shooter seems to be to punish others doing jumps, not for you to make combos.