Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am hugely excited by this! So many changes means they are paying attention to things and trying new things out. Maybe some will stick and some will not, but as a regular OK player these changes are very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

Flying around has been the best part of the game right from day 1.

But yeah, now Pyro can also get in on the fun.

You mean you never went wild with the detonator? I used to jump over the heads of others with that and it always elicited a small pause of surprise :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

HighwayStar posted:

The crosshair placement...! :stare:

:golfclap:

My favourite meme and this is why.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What about those of us who find delight in going onto public servers and being a medic the whole time? (I love how tough it is to keep a team of randoms alive compared to a genuine team).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was doing some report filling and had to look at a rap sheet to get a handle on something, and it took me to one of the old TF2 threads.

I ended up reading the whole thing from start to finish and it reminded me of how much I truly, truly love this game. This is the only game I have ever been decent at and it is a joy to play. So I reinstalled, redid all my configs, sorted out my hit sounds and have decided to play like I used to!

Last night spent five hours jumping around pub servers alternating as a medic and defensive pyro. I have not had that much fun in ages. I was absolutely missing this game. I stopped properly playing in 2014 and only occasionally booted it up for twenty or so minutes here and there over the years, but last night was just like old times and I was very silly to stop!

Should be breaking 3000 hours soon if this keeps up :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

- Fixed a server crash related to Flamethrower particles
- Fixed a client crash related to matchmaking parties
- Fixed a client crash related to the ConVar tf_flamethrower_boxsize
- Fixed a memory leak in the main menu
- Fixed some languages having missing characters in the ConTracker menu
- Fixed the voicemenu command being used to lag servers
- Fixed a rendering issue with Unusual effects for the Antarctic Eyewear
- Fixed some War Paint weapons not being valid trade-up items for the Civilian Stat Clock
- Fixed an animation bug related to the Thermal Thruster and changing class while holstering it
- Fixed matchmaking players being able to sit at the MOTD so they can't be kicked by players in the match. They will now show in the scoreboard on their assigned team and will be valid vote-kick targets by members of their team.
- Updated the Autobalance system to skip asking/waiting for volunteers. Instead, it will go straight to switching candidates to balance the teams.
- Updated model/materials for the Valhalla Helm to fix some clipping issues
- Updated the localization files
- Updated pl_enclosure_final:
. Fixed players being able to get stuck in closing dropdown door in stage 3
. Fixed missing team filter for small resupply room in stage 3
. Removed unnecessary env_wind entity messing with env_dustmote entities

---

Nice and speedy! Hopefully this will lead to a bit of a resurgence of work on the game :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

8 Ball posted:

I'm sure there's at least a thousand posts in the old thread of people complaining about being autobalanced away from their friends

What's old is new again

I remember that like it was yesterday! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

We Know Catheters posted:

I tried playing a little bit tonight and the game just isn't fun anymore. Oh well.

What did you not enjoy?
I had the opposite effect and would love to know where it fell apart for you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

khwarezm posted:

How's that?

If you are good at playing and making good progressing terms of skill, then the hackers who get lots of points and also raise their level will be matched with you more.

We need Valve to act quicker so they cannot rise through the ranks.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
As a player who mainly plays Pyro and Medic, I agree with all of that. If I get someone, then they were not checking their backs or sides, or forgot about my airblast.

Also by being such an annoying Pyro it has really helped improve my Medic game and keeping alive. :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know we all would want support for this game like it was brand new, but Valve have changed as a company and Steam/DOTA2 is what they care about more than anything now.

We got at least 8 great years of this game, and there is still the option to play even now and while it is not quite the same as it was, it does not detract how there is still a pretty amazing game within. Maybe a change will be like the jungle inferno update and seemingly come out of nowhere, or perhaps it will not. All I know is that as long as the game lets me boot it up and connect to servers, I will keep playing. :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know that my four australium weapons (Flamethrower, Axetinguisher, Blutsauger and Medigun) and my Flamethrower/Medigun are both worth at least $100.

For a while I was working towards getting everything the pyro could wear and one unusual (currently 16) of each type, and I did manage to snag a strange of every possible pyro weapon, professional killstreakers for all the main weapons, and almost every single hat and misc. Just because I have spent so many thousands of hours loving the game that I wanted to play super pyro dress-up but there got to be too much and lots of overlaps. So I wound it down and just keep alternating my current things :D

I renamed absolutely everything I could and put descriptions on them and strangified things and put special counters on things. I got so so so much joy out of this game not just from playing but messing with my characters. I even bought the wega models of the pyro, demo, and heavy :D This game has been one of the best games and I love that I can still jump in and have fun 8 years later. Even if not 100% the same, it still provides something for me.

Favourite maps have to be cp_badlands, koth_harvest, plr_hightower and ctf_doublecross. I will gladly play any of those again and again forever :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Asteroid is great! I cannot believe that one slipped my mind! (A bit like Valve)

In fact my Official Map Official Tier list would be the following:

TOPPEST:
Badlands (CP)
Doublecross (CTF)
Helltower (PLR)
Harvest (KOTH)
Asteroid (RD)
Gravelpit (AD)

GREAT:
Well (CP)
Turbine (CTF)
Coldfront (CP)
Foundry (CP)
Freight (CP)
Dustbowl (AD)
ThunderMountain (PL)
Hightower (KOTH)
KongKing (KOTH)
Lakeside (KOTH)
Nucleus (KOTH)

GOOD:
Gorge (CP)
Granary (CP)
MannManor (AD)
Steel (AD)
DegrootKeep (AD)
Badwater (PL)
CactusCanyon (PL)
Upward (PL)
Pipeline (PLR)
Badlands (KOTH)
Suijin (KOTH)
Doomsday (SD)
Hydro (TC)

OK:
2Fort (CTF)
Sawmill (CTF)
Landfall (CTF)
Standin (CP)
Gorge (AD)
Well (CTF)
Gullywash (CP)
Metalworks (CP)
Powerhouse (CP)
Vanguard (CP)
Sunshin (CP)
Snakewater (CP)
Egypt (AD)
Mountainlab (CP)
Junction (CP)
Barnblitz (PL)
Goldrush (PL)
Hoodoo (PL)
Nightfall (PLR)
Sawmill (KOTH)
Viaduct (KOTH)

NOT A FAN:
Fastlane
Yukon
Snowplow
Borneo

(These are only counting the maps I have played. I have not played Banana bay before and looking at the official list there are a few I have never seen or heard of either!)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Not going to lie but 5CP and Koth are my favouritest game types. cp_Badlands is a perfect map.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I wish more maps had the awesome Alpine texture set.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

khwarezm posted:

I like doublecross but the sniper sightlines are atrocious. Sometimes you can't walk out into the main bridge at all.

That is why the bottom level is so much fun. Go down there as Demo, sticky jump up to the sniper hut and then rain the pipes down on them!

Doublecross has a ton of options to both attack and defend and having a way to get to the intel that does not pass spawn is why it and Turbine are probably the best CTF maps.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Five new maps!! Awesome!! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Definitely not a dead game. I booted it up two nights ago to test my new internet, got into a casual game immediately and proceeded to have a real blast.

It is still full of great fun, challenge and time use even after all these years. I played pyro, medic and scout for the evening just to clean out the rust and dust and it was like slipping on comfortable shoes :D

No other game has done that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am most amazed by the fact that I have played so many different FPS games inbetween the last time I properly played (where I was spending a large number of hours a week) about five years ago, and TF2 just effortlessly feels familiar.

My configs and control settings in this do not match any other game, but I never feel hamstrung and the muscle memory instantly begins again.

Great game!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am still sad about the change to the axetinguisher. Pyro is already a pretty tough class to be good at because most others do everything it can do far better, but the one small skill ability of puff and sting being nerfed hard seemed so weird.

I can still do it but it does not make as much sense than if I simply concentrate my flamethrower or backburner on them instead.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was a highlander pyro :D

I run australium flamethrower, detonator and maul. Nothing I love more than running up to a sentry/dispenser and knocking off those sappers.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, that really bothered me. I used to watch a ton of silly pyro compilation videos on Youtube and Sketchek was one of them. Kinda crazy that he did such a thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good grief, I have tons of hats/miscs/unusuals with spells on them. I wondered why I was suddenly being added again.

I had no idea that had become the new thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jippa posted:

Resurrecting this thread with an amazing review.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/294028/team-fortress-2-for-pc

Simply put, TF2's mechanics don't feel precise. Movement is slippery and it's difficult to deftly avoid enemy gunfire or to land exactly where you want when jumping from a platform, for example. Weapons also lack weight and are cumbersome to aim. As with in Fortnite, eliminating a TF2 enemy player is a matter of luck rather than skill.

:yikes:

I could not disagree more.

EDIT:

quote:

Time for Team Fortress to Retire
Team Fortress 2 is one of the defining titles in the team-based FPS genre, but relative newcomers to the genre, most notably Overwatch, outclasses it in gameplay, visuals, and the enjoyment factor. Even Valve's other multiplayer FPS, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, has remained more relevant, given its recent visual overhaul, transition to a free-to-play structure, and new battle royale game mode. There's no need to start playing TF2 if you never have in the past, and current players should make the jump to newer (and better) titles.

Double :yikes:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
"This is a hat simulator, not a hate simulator!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I still have tons of fun when I play it. It is still a good game and having an active userbase is wonderful.

I would love if some of the half finished maps like Asteroid had been completed but the fact we have so many great ways to play currently is great.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love this game and it makes me happy the thread is getting active again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Naming yourself "I taunt after every kill" and then doing it every time, even if you get killed, is one of my favourite things to witness.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It has to be cp_badlands or koth_harvest. Both designed to perfection.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks! I ranked mine:

Though it felt like some were missing.
I know cactus canyon and asteroid were. I would have put those in B and A tier respectively.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ArfJason posted:

something about lakeside i cant quite put my finger on just doesnt gel with me. I've had loads of fun and all but IDK what puts me off.

Also finally someone showing foundry and doublecross the respect they deserve. During the last months I played it was impossible to play foundry... I wish valve servers from the browser would come back :(

Foundry has all of the charm I want from a big and spacious cp map. I love that each point is like a mini koth place and there are so many options for attacking.

Likewise Doublecross should be the default 2fort. It is everything people think 2fort is with multiple routes and fun rounds. There are always ways to avoid snipers and it is good dangerous fun. Doublecross is the best of the CTF maps hands down!

Lakeside I have fond memories of from when I was playing in the ready steady pan tournament and it was one of the main maps we had to practice on.

EDIT: Junction is the one with the train going round the desert?

SECOND EDIT: Haha, oh whoops. I got confused with train junction points. Junction is the one with a roof everywhere. OK that should be down next to egypt.

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 11, 2019

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Prop hunt is also a heck of a lot of fun. I love how adaptable the source engine is and all the smart things people have made it do.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I got a new pc and realised that I had not backed up my configs so spent a good few hours trying to remember all my weird binds and the medic autoheal script (where it only stops if I press attack) and once I did I decided to jump into a casual game.

Got put on 2fort and somehow, as medic, managed to get a 6 man kill streak and capture the intelligence. Great way to feel like a pro :D I have a feeling I am going to get stuck into this game again and boost my time played by another 2000 hours!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I feel that way about the axetinguisher.

The puff and sting play was one of the best bits of counter attack the pyro had against heavies. It was rewarding play and helped a great deal.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I watched the TF2 short films yesterday.
Goodness they still absolutely whip!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zoolooman posted:

HOLY poo poo THIS THREAD IS STILL ALIVE AND YOU ARE STILL PLAYING LIKE I AM

Sup dude :3

As long as I am mod this thread will never die. (TF2 still my most played game thanks to SA!)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Keep the 9 classes, just include those neat female versions designed by lady artist who did some work for Valve.
Then we would technically have 18 characters, but it would still be the 9 core classes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
9 female mercs, 9 male mercs, Miss Pauling, Merasmus, Monoculus, Saxton Hale and Horseless Headless Horseman. If we really need to go over the 18 base figures.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ArfJason posted:

Imoprtant: whats the genderswapped version of pybro. Been trying to think of a good pun but i cannot.

How about Fyro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hihohe posted:

I think Miss Pauline was supposed to be the Civilian or at least function similar to how he worked in that specific game mode. Its been awhile but I think there was a mode where you had to get the civilian from one side of a map to the other while the other team tried to stop you.

That became payload because valve playtesting it found out that most of the time it was really, really boring for whoever got to be the civilian.