Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Slime posted:

So does pyro's shotgun feel almost pointless to anyone else now

like his flamethrower is so murderous now that the time taken to switch to it often isn't worth the loss in flamethrower time

How's comp handling new pyro (especially highlander where there's actually going to be one always)? I was worried Valve would wreck the pyro with the update, and although I can't airblast + flare combo like I used to, I'm still getting just as many kills burning everything instead with the huge damage boost. It's kind of a wash on Valve servers but I'm curious what it's like now playing against some of the game's better players in an organized match. I'm not going to pretend flare punches were the most complex and skillful tactic only a few could hope to achieve, but it feels like they replaced it with something just as effective and a hell of a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Happy 15th birthday cp_badlands

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Fishbus posted:

Hello fellow fish mapper.

I personally try to find a TF2 community or discord these days and then drum up a little hype with folks. I much prefer a community of 'diverse' players... I'm starting to go into doing some tf2 level stuff again after faffing around with Steel. I'm always available to talk shop if you need to on steam

I'm also streaming on twitch again to do maps and level stuff while imparting knowledge as a kobold engineer.

I ran into a silly issue with the new gate on Steel A the other day where instead of walking through it I wound up being popped into the air by the gate closing on me.

It happened accidentally a few times which can maybe get you killed if you pop into an enemy's view. You can do it deliberately if you crouch towards the edge and get the gate to try closing on you. Huntsman snipers can definitely get a shot off at blue players leaving the spawn area. If you manage to do it deliberately while running straight through you'll have enough horizontal momentum that any class can reach the other side, which technically they could with that little shack going the long way around (actually, can heavies?), but it's a lot safer to fail at when the round starts. Would definitely let an engineer carry a sentry and drop it up there or just let explosive classes not have to take damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTufzSMzTZs

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Medic is fun and always has been. Always dot for medic.

Back in ye olden times when folks would use voice chat regularly it was the best way to learn how to stay alive against players better than you. You get to focus on moving while your heal target worries about killing the dude shooting at you, and then they would just say "pop" and you'd pop until these things became second nature. When I was still a little baby and first started playing on the LCs I was playing medic constantly to not get my rear end beat.

It can get tiring to be the med round after round, but a map or two is plenty. The real issue now is juggling the team's need for a medic versus you yourself being the person on the team that is going to get the most done if there's a medic around. I've had too many games on like Borneo where I've said gently caress it, and stopped being the only medic to spycap because teammates do not want to go forward.

Which I think is the real difference between the game now and a decade ago. Any given team is going to have a number of players who do not want to play the map they are on and want to do the funny loadout. Your full demoknight will not put his toys away for a minute to get past a sentry nest. Your soldier has mastered rocket jumping and cannot be killed by the enemy team zooming around non-stop with the jumper but will get a kill once every 3 minutes instead of once every 3 rockets. Your scout is doing cool skateboard tricks. Then the enemy team caps first and 5 people demand a scramble because while they have no intention of doing anything to win, they absolutely refuse to lose.

Game's always had it's gimmicks, but the scout in 2007 wildly swinging a bat ineffectively at a heavy medic combo was still something the enemy needed to track and shoot.

I'm old.

Reiley posted:

Thanks, Mrs. DeGroot.

Thank u for remembering tf2tags.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Milo and POTUS posted:

e: all pubs or Uncletopia, no strange farming
e2: forgot to post the 2 month numbers :doh: 2588/683/519

Oh good I'm not the only person who synced their stranges. Years ago (og axtinguisher era) I just reset a degreaser/flare/axtinguisher because I felt like I was going for axtinguisher kills so much that it would end up being close to the degreaser itself in numbers. And even then this wasn't the case. (Right now my numbers are 68,365/29,810/6,925 with 20,000+ of the flare kills being crit kills)

Every time one of those weapons got rebalanced I reset them again and at one point was using the rake instead of the axtinguisher for that period where they really made it garbage.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love seeing people talk about Scout weapons so please effortpost. Honestly, I feel like the majority of scout primaries are undervalued. I feel like this is mostly because the playerbase refuses to use differing playstyles, and also only seems to consider things in an ideal situation with perfectly-skilled players.

Given how many things got added to this game and how haphazardly some of the later additions felt I think the game overall is still really well balanced in the sense that while there's still a lot of "item X is the best item for this slot on this class" few alternatives are so much worse that somebody on your own team using them feels like they're making it impossible to win. (Rocket jumper and arguably full demoknights (usually) are about the only exceptions). Shortstop and FaN are good examples of being worse than stock as a whole, but they both open up opportunities in common enough situations where the scattergun is less than ideal. I've got more than 3000 hours in pyro now and those two weapons on a good scout can make them way harder to deal with individually. Shortstop users can take their time killing me compared to stock, but often when they do get that kill they peppered me from a far enough range that I was forced to shoot flares to be able to inflict any damage.

FaN's knockback is similar in shoving pyros away enough that retaliating becomes a very uphill battle. Any missed flare is basically a death sentence.

And like the last post says about harassing from the backlines, average TF2 player will happily chase one cheeky player in the opposite, regardless of class and how dangerous it is for them to be there. It's great being on defense on a map like Frontier and getting multiple players to chase all the way back to first when their team is trying to push last. Kill someone at spawn, give them a 10 second respawn. Get them to chase you for 30 seconds, finally kill, and then taunt, and that's a lot of time spent not participating in the payload part of a payload map.

Most players seem way to focused in the numbers game rather than the "are we pushing forward to win the game" game. I will forever remember this pyro that got mad at me for killing them with the degreaser when they pulled out the panic attack which they told me has superior DPS and I was a noob for not using it. Thank you man who died, I will consider this advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Countblanc posted:

i was bored so i watched that History of The Scout video from a week ago and it has brennon murphy, daniel, and orzo in it lol. LCs never die

I started chipping away at this and instantly recognized one of my own videos being used at 1:20:19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVw6SFik1Us

I always used pocket pistol then for the health boost but it was extremely funny when the no fall damage was noticeably relevant.

The idea of a video saying "15 extra Health on scout was much more impactful than it sounds. At least for those that were good with the class" while showing footage is me is hilarious. I have never been a good scout.

I think this one is from the LCs going by the date and seeing it's before gullywash was an official map. There's no voice indicators or killfeed visible. Who did I own here? I'm glad I did the correct thing and taunted for future historians to appreciate.