Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Magres posted:

lol you guys have a good banner ad

if you do the magic-eye crosseyed thing at it, it goes kinda 3d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HOLY gently caress

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

Well, Visa processes around 60 billion transactions per year. If they were to use the same amount of electricity per transaction as bitcoin did at it's peak, it would use 32.76 trillion KWH per year

The entire world used 21.78 trillion in 2016.

This is actually good for bitcoin, because increasing worldwide use of bitcoin will drive the development of fusion power plants.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

whoever bought me this avatar is awesome

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Ah yes, Christmas, the fascist holiday.

Be nice, they worked really hard to come up with 'christofascist' when mom dragged them away from the Nintendo for Christmas Eve services.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

not anymore, i think he got fired over personal political contributions.

edit: stepped down

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Youtube still probably has like $70 from a video I made because they won't cut a check until it hits $100 or something like that. That was annoying bullshit, and I was aware it was happening! I'd be pretty loving mad if somebody was "collecting donations" on my behalf without my knowledge, especially if they don't pay out until it hits $100.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McGiggins posted:

Hahahaha gently caress eich

he created javascript so he's already responsible for making the web suck

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kuddles posted:

Or maybe that dip honestly was the correction and it is at it's true monetary value as a way to buy sketchy products, which means BTC will be boring all the way until next year when McAfee eats his dick on YouTube.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nessus posted:

Do these people expect these to accomplish anything for the bambinos or are they just gag gifts?

People read news reports about how China's self-reported test scores are better than the US's and they go buy Multivariable Calculus For Babies and a set of Teach Yourself Mandarin CDs.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Harveygod posted:

She ain't fooling me for a second.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

poverty goat posted:

It's really important when pennies catch on and are worth $20k in a few years

That's why I keep all my pennies in jars around the house. I'll be rich!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McGiggins posted:

Bet you anything they all knew he was dying and he was paid to be the fall guy.

Live it up on company dollar during the last stage of your life and take the credit for a mistake after your death so the rest of your associates can skedaddle of with the rest of the money?

Say it isn't so.

It'll be possible to check if those coins get spent now, right?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

smashedveins eat the dick

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Alan Turing invented the digital computer, saved England from invasion by the greatest political monstrosity in human history, and was murdered by his own government for being gay, all so that: nerds could use their video cards to make pretend money which will then get stolen by other nerds and used to buy recreational drugs

He was also portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch in his biopic which is really the ultimate slap in the face.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

I just don't see how this could be permitted in the US or Canada based on current amateur radio regulations. So, just another day for crypto.

As long as the traffic is signed but not encrypted, and they're doing it as a proof of concept, they're probably fine. I would think as soon as you actually start doing regular transactions to actually pay for poo poo over ham radio you're gonna run into trouble.

A proof of concept for a system that could never actually be deployed. So, just another day for crypto.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

Perhaps in a very generous interpretation. But sending a payment, whether for a proof of concept or not, immediately fails the pecuniary value test of the regulators on both sides of this transaction. Now it's got media behind it. I'm hoping to see two licensees getting sanctioned.

I think it's going to need a letter from the FCC to clarify things, because I can't think of an existing technology that allowed you to literally send money securely over the air. I guess you could give the info for a wire transfer, but even that involves an out-of-band operation. If I was going to argue that you shouldn't throw the book at these guys, I'd go something like this:

quote:

An amateur operator may notify other amateur operators of the availability for sale or trade of apparatus normally used in an amateur station, provided that such activity is not conducted on a regular basis.

Suppose you hop on a net and mention you're selling an antenna. That's ok as per the above. Somebody says he wants it. You say ok, mail a check to my license address and I'll mail you the antenna. I would assume that's ok. Suppose instead of saying mail me a check, you said switch over to <freq> and send me the money with this Lightning bullshit. The money is being transferred as part of the sale of amateur radio apparatus (allowed), via unencrypted transmissions (allowed), presumably via some sort of digital mode (allowed).

Edit: if it's been established that actually arranging for the sale of your radio equipment on the air isn't ok, then the above argument is meaningless so gently caress 'em

I don't want buttcoiners sending butts over the airwaves, but I think there may be gaps in the rules because it's not something you could do up until recently. I think the FCC and their Canadian counterparts should tell people not to do it, and I think the rules should be updated as soon as possible to explicitly disallow it.

Of course, most hams being 130 years old, it would probably never be used much in any case, and as soon as someone mentions the word "crypto" on qrz.com there'll be a great harrumphing and many posts in ALL CAPS ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS - 73S BILL

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

isndl posted:

Even assuming this wasn't already in violation of FCC regulations, they'd have to devise some sort of means to prevent crosstalk as the number of participants goes up. Eventually they'll recreate cellular communications, except they'll have implemented it poorly and thrashed the public spectrums into uselessness while doing so. Par for the course with crypto.

Yeah I mean if you really want to sell your radio gear over the air AND you find someone else in the Venn diagram intersection of "ham licensee" and "buttcoin enthusiast" you could just tell the guy to send butts to such-and-such a wallet address, right?

You can't make the usual ham argument that it's a good thing to have in case of catastrophe, because why do you need to send fake Internet money from Canada to the US right now during a disaster which has apparently knocked out all Internet service?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

an actual frog posted:

Oh god someone actually bought you that av. I'm so sorry

It owns, though

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Modern computing means we've come up with ways to gently caress yourself so thoroughly that you cannot come up with a real-world metaphor to explain it, without resorting to imaginary bullshit like un-cuttable metal or unpickable locks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

don't post small bart:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Play posted:

The forums are gold. A blinding, beautiful gold with a suspicious tinge of brown

Oh, sorry, I had corn last night.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drk posted:

Do you know how long it takes to transfer money into my US brokerage account and trade with it, using that crusty old banking system?

Literally zero seconds. Submit the transfer request, and you can immediately trade with the funds. I dont have some rich-guy account or some special features enabled. I pay the princely sum of nothing in account fees, and nothing in transaction fees for this ability.

(yes, technically this takes a day or two to settle on the back end, but thats is an irrelevant detail)

I think Fidelity made me wait until the transaction actually settled the first time or two, I guess to make sure I wasn't an idiot who thought he could pull the money out of my checking account before it transferred.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ColTim posted:

if it's a bunch of folks with some unusual supply chain, not making products for consumers or for traditional businesses, and a lot of it is "well I know a guy who does ASICs, a guy with a bunch of warehouse space and cheap power, and a guy who can get me some factory time for a run"... I mean that sounds pretty cyberpunky.

This is basically how all small electronics projects are done in China already.

It's also how they're done in the US, in that the US company sends a guy to China to find all the other people needed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Only meaningful to stupid people who are way too far down the rabbit hole? Yeah, I guess they're right!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There's a buttcoin ATM at the local mall, but I live just south of San Francisco so I guess it's not too surprising.

I've never seen anyone using it, of course.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

buglord posted:

One of them verbalized “hodl” and I internally winced.

How did it sound? In my head it sounds kind of like "Hodor".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

When they complain that it took the cash but the buttcoins never arrived, you just shrug and say "must have mis-typed your wallet address, better luck next time, CODE IS LAW"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

no but they both seem somewhat unconventional, usually every prosecutor in the south regardless of party wears the same tie in all photographs and I can't find either of them with it.

TN AG:

NC AG debate:

SC AG:

Goon tie blindness is a new but perhaps not unsurprising development

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

divabot posted:

It sort of does: the UUCP email network common in the 1980s. This is when we didn't have DNS, so instead of sending email to bob@example.com, you'd need to map out the complete path to bob by hand, e.g. somemachine!ucbvax!kremlin!thefrigginmoon!portal!well!example!bob - "bang-path" email.

The network was basically a random mesh of machines with variably usable phone-line connections - sometimes a TrailBlazer modem running at a blistering 19,200 bits per second. If you were in Australia, all your messages were flown over weekly from the US on a tape.

The world's most motivated computer scientists and timewasting students could not solve the mathematical problem of random-point-A to random-point-B in a mesh.

The closest solution was a monthly map of the whole UUCP network, so you could work out your email paths.

It sucked rear end stupendously. The second that DNS and SMTP were in place, everyone moved to that, because gently caress UUCP.

Anyway, that's the particular very dumb and bad idea that LN thought would be a simple matter of programming, even tho it would literally require new mathematics.

Pathalias (https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/pathalias.paper.pdf) and the UUCP Mapping Project eventually helped make this less painful. Still required too much coordination and manual mapping.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I was gonna say a lot of it is probably just essentially fake transactions to make it look like stuff is worth more

e.g. the diamond NFT tweets

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

:eyepop:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The rare quintuple-post

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

“The last thing we want is China [to be] involved in a currency of the world.”

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

All these procedurally generated punk/ape/lion/etc. avatars are basically the South Park character generators everyone had on their Myspace account in 2005, except it costs you $10,000.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It's funny that they only call it a rug-pull when the creator walks away without actually giving out the NFTs... Guys, at the end of the day you paid $5k for a receipt for a JPG, you still got ripped off even if you end up "owning" the JPG

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sashimi posted:

Is this what it feels like to be old? To look at them and both recognize nobody, and think about how dumb most of their names are?

:thejoke:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

they are denuding the kingdom of scribes and parchment to keep their hashrates up

http://www.righto.com/2014/09/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper.html?m=1

Slaughtering sheep just to make parchment from their skins, wreaking havoc on the prices of wool and meat; I suppose it works as an allegory for miners buying up graphics cards to the point that nobody can upgrade their PC...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zefiel posted:

Actual Pogs had prettier art

Being a terrible nerd, I had a Skylab pog and thought it was the coolest of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Idiot commits his private key into a public github repo, instantly loses all his ETH and a bunch of NFTs:

https://steviep.xyz/txt/compromised

Gets some of his stuff back and learns nothing from the exercise:

quote:

Overall, I can't be too upset about how things unfolded. I've been incredibly lucky to endup where I am today, so running into the occasional bit of bad luck feels more like the cost of doing business.

I also wonder how this will affect the future market value of all the NFTs involved in this whole ordeal. I'd like to think that my Buddha Matt stickers will be worth millions of dollars because of the added Louvre heist-style flair that it's gained.